Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
The finisher isn't stupendous or anything, but you need to factor in the initial thrust and successive hits with the burst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

So is there any chance that we'll be able to give Capcom our money for MH4, or is that sweet, sweet charge axe going to be outside of our grubby NA mitts?

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

TalonDemonKing posted:

So is there any chance that we'll be able to give Capcom our money for MH4, or is that sweet, sweet charge axe going to be outside of our grubby NA mitts?

MH3U seems to be enjoying a relative amount of success (for a US MH release) so perhaps.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

TalonDemonKing posted:

Stay tuned for more exciting news!

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Speakin of news, the MH3U update is apparently going to be released on the 16th.
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/322008125651709952

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
That's great. Can't wait to play with some EU Goons since I usually stay up into ridiculous hours of the night.

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.
Okay, this is a pretty dumb question probably, but I'm new to this whole monster hunter thing. How do you tell what ammo your gunlance takes? I'd like to use one but I've tried getting one of each ammo available in the shop in town and I can't seem to load the drat thing when I'm hunting. Thanks for the help in advance.

Oh, I'm playing Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Just how well is the game selling in the states? VGchartz has a "z" in its name so I don't trust it.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

monkeyboydc posted:

Okay, this is a pretty dumb question probably, but I'm new to this whole monster hunter thing. How do you tell what ammo your gunlance takes? I'd like to use one but I've tried getting one of each ammo available in the shop in town and I can't seem to load the drat thing when I'm hunting. Thanks for the help in advance.

You don't have to buy ammo for gunlance. There are three ammo types that are inherently on weapons (Normal, Long, Wide). They rank up from about 1-6 as you get better weapons. To reload simply hold R and hit X+A (if I'm remembering correctly).

Normal shots have 5 ammo, Long has 3, and Wide only has 2. It's generally considered the Wide does the most damage but I haven't seen any numbers to prove it.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

monkeyboydc posted:

Gunlances have their own separate stock of ammo that it can reload indefiinitely by pressing R+A. You dont need to carry any ammo.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I actually think that sometimes monsters limp a little bit before they are capturable, because I have trapped and attempted to cap monsters in the same zone they started to limp in, and we still needed to wail on them in the trap for it to work. It is really weird.

Capping for me has been a tedious process of finding the best zone to fight a monster in until it limps, then racing ahead of them to the spot you know they would zone out from, and dropping a shock trap where you know they'll path. If there's a better way, that'd be nice to hear.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

That's a crazy thing for stupid people. I'd rather endure an area transition than lose my trap and redo the whole drat quest. :colbert:

Reoxygenation posted:

Speakin of news, the MH3U update is apparently going to be released on the 16th.
https://twitter.com/monsterhunter/status/322008125651709952

Everything I say comes true! :unsmigghh:

monkeyboydc
Dec 3, 2007

Unfortunately, we had to kut the English budget at the Ivalice Magick Ackcademy.

Bugamol posted:

You don't have to buy ammo for gunlance. There are three ammo types that are inherently on weapons (Normal, Long, Wide). They rank up from about 1-6 as you get better weapons. To reload simply hold R and hit X+A (if I'm remembering correctly).

Normal shots have 5 ammo, Long has 3, and Wide only has 2. It's generally considered the Wide does the most damage but I haven't seen any numbers to prove it.

Gah! Well thank you very much for clarifying that. I feel ridiculous now. Welp! Off to try that Gunlance.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

5er posted:

Capping for me has been a tedious process of finding the best zone to fight a monster in until it limps, then racing ahead of them to the spot you know they would zone out from, and dropping a shock trap where you know they'll path. If there's a better way, that'd be nice to hear.

Honestly, I just get underfoot of the monster and try to drop it there. Either they knock me over while I'm doing it, or I finish planting it, and then they knock me over and I capture them.

But then again, I always use Hunting Guru and find that there's a pretty big window between the monster being ready to capture and when they start limping. It's worth it for that window alone since they won't be desperately trying to flee, and quite honestly on some it can be several minutes.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Apr 10, 2013

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski
man what happened to somethingawful, it looks so pretty :swoon:

So I had some questions: Why the gently caress does the game do this:

Me: I need this item. Gamefaqs says its a common drop. But after five hours of farming, I don't have any!

and

Me: I don't need this item. Gamefaqs says it's a really rare drop. But after five hours of farming, I have twenty!

Is there a way to get around this

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

5er posted:

I did the first capture quest last night and I mean I'm no authority but I got the bear monster limping, followed him to the next area, activated him again, dropped the trap, and just let him charge right into it trying to get me. Worked beautifully.

I can't remember from MHFU, is dropping traps next to sleeping monsters (when they've fled to heal) a viable way to nab them?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's a crazy thing for stupid people. I'd rather endure an area transition than lose my trap and redo the whole drat quest. :colbert:

It hasn't been stupid or crazy for me when engaging (at least terrestrial ones) a monster in a very specific spot and in a very specific zone, that they'll limp unerringly down a predictable path.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

HarveyVdarski posted:

Is there a way to get around this

Want different items/store everything for later forever.

Cry when you really want a specific weapon or armour piece.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tooooooo bad posted:

I did the first capture quest last night and I mean I'm no authority but I got the bear monster limping, followed him to the next area, activated him again, dropped the trap, and just let him charge right into it trying to get me. Worked beautifully.

I can't remember from MHFU, is dropping traps next to sleeping monsters (when they've fled to heal) a viable way to nab them?

This is the most reliable way to trap monsters. Wait till they limp, follow them to the next zone, trap them there. In HR and G-rank, this can sometimes not work with some monsters, particularly flying ones, so it's always important to keep that in mind.

And trapping them when they're sleeping is also good. They aren't freaking out and you can trap them pretty much instantly. You'll still need to tranq them but that's not difficult unless a bullfangos decides to send you flying.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

tooooooo bad posted:

Yeah. Best way is to drop the trap, and then give them a little kick to wake them to activate the trap. You can also drop fresh/tainted meat, and then lay a trap down when it's obvious they're going for it and eating.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
I always had the best results with following them when they limp off to zone out, giving them a little breathing room, then rushing in. They'll resume trying to murder me, and in that time where they turn, notice me, and prepare an attack I've dropped a trap.

Then I just stand with the trap between myself and the monster and bam.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Until you get a rathalos that looks at you , charges, stops 2 feet from it, and says "gently caress you idiot" and flies away.

By the way a Weird Old Trick: If you're fighting a rath* in area 8 of D.Island and they fly off you can grab the egg in the nest and they fly straight back to you.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 10, 2013

Cronodoculous
Jun 29, 2006

You light up my life

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm tempted to make a Gunlance set using Artillery Expert, and then Razor Sharp since I'm only high rank. I've never done a GL set that isn't based around maximizing guard though, is this an awful idea?

e: To clarify: is an artillery expert-based armorset an awful idea?

It's a great idea! What I did was build the Agnaktor set, then gem for Artillery Expert. If I recall, the gems aren't that hard to make. You'll probably need an artillery charm, though. It's a really flexible set, though, and when I'm using it to gunlance it's got Artillery Expert, Fire Atk +2, Flame Aura, and Constitution +1. When I use it with other weapons I can switch around gems to give it the fast sharpening skill, and Constitution +2. It also looks hella cool.

If you wanted to make an armor set that has Artillery on it, though, I think your choice is a lot less clear.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

Found something pretty great. I dare you guys to sit through even half of this Zinogre fight.

Why do the most tone deaf people love singing? And why do they think we want to hear it? Take a drink any time he goes more than about 3 minutes without breaking into song.
Because most LPers are more involved in setting up their "LPing personality/style" over the actual game they're LPing.

quote:

I've never seen someone just walk up to a monster's face and start attacking it. Especially with a Long Sword. Or completely ignore monster tells. Dude will just stand in front of a monster that's not doing an attack animation and quaff a potion. 9 times out of 10 he gets charged into, negating all the healing he just did. He never learns from any of his mistakes.
Sadly, I'm still more-or-less in this learning phase (even with the longsword), although I've graduated from "get in face" to "go to the side, dodge when the monster starts a tell". But then, I haven't even faced Lagi yet.

I mean, at the point that guy's at, I'm assuming he went through the village quests so he's fought Wroggi and Qurupeco, the two monsters whose job it is to teach you the hard way not to fight things head-on.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
That's the thing though, at some point you graduate to where you're inches from an attack at any moment but still attacking. Or using your attacks to dodge. I don't know about other weapons but for the Great Sword, for some of the frames in your animations you become unflinchable.

Here's an example for Lagi for when you fight him. He has a Twisting type S move he does where he expands his neck and tail and and then twists around. You can dodge away from him and get hit with his outstretched neck, or you can dodge to him and land in the crevice of his neck and not even get hit, and hopefully get some attacks in. (You can also dodge up/down, but goodluck actually doing that when you really need to, because the controls are garbage)

Another example is Royal Ludroth. If you're behind him attacking his tail. Sometimes he'll roll to the side; you can roll away, but then you missed a good opening for tail hits. You can instead go under neath the tip of his tail and roll parallel to him and land right at his tail again.

The cool thing about Purple Ludroth is he has an attack that directly punishes that particular maneuver which is kinda cool.

My point is that at some point you get to fight monster where if all you do is wait for an opening, your hunts will be like 49 minutes long.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm tempted to make a Gunlance set using Artillery Expert, and then Razor Sharp since I'm only high rank. I've never done a GL set that isn't based around maximizing guard though, is this an awful idea?

e: To clarify: is an artillery expert-based armorset an awful idea?

The first gunlance set I built in MH3U was a Wroggi set gemmed for Artillery Expert. It's a really great set, but you'll need to play super aggressively to get the most out of it. This means using a spread shot gunlance and spamming Wyvern Fire at every available opportunity. Because you're not gemming for Guard you'll need to go for stamina and health buffs when eating before a quest.

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
Does Bombardier on armor stack with the food buff?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Great! The patch will actually hit before the 16th for North America. April 15th 5PM Pacific Standard Time.

EAThief
Aug 28, 2006

I swear it's not what you think

I think I'm running into a problem. I've been using long swords but I'm trying to figure out other weapons too. The problem I'm running into is that none of the other weapons have fade slash. I NEED fade slash. An attack AND a dodge all in one? Amazing. I've put like 500 hours at least into Demon's/Dark Souls and I think I'm trying to play this game the same way and it really isn't working out. Once I get out of that mindset maybe it'll be a little easier to use other stuff.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Lance is your closest bet, and that isn't an attacking dodge, just a backstep.

Most people call out the LS for being a noob weapon because it teaches you nothing for other weapons.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
If you're going to trap something, always ALWAYS bring 2 trap kits and 2 thunderbugs (or nets if it's Zinogre, also gently caress Zinogre), on top of the shock or pitfall trap. Because poo poo happens and it's really nice when you can just make backup traps. You can buy trap kits from general vendors and the backpack granny will carry thunderbugs (on sale!) sometimes so you will never run out of traps or trap materials again.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Bugamol posted:

Does Bombardier on armor stack with the food buff?

Bombardier does indeed stack with Felyne Pyro.

Selious
Mar 11, 2007

Master Defenestrator
The info is probably out of date but there are some solid gunlance numbers and skill recommendations here: http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/2452-tw1g007s-gunlance-videos-and-information-database/

I've been using a mix of armor for awaken and artillery king using a Cornpopper with amazing results, especially using the max level version. Spread charged shots do hilarious damage due to the stacking multipliers and will rapidly break multiple parts on a monster at the same time. Thanks to free element it also does 500 slime damage which is just sweet butter on the cob.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Selious posted:

The info is probably out of date but there are some solid gunlance numbers and skill recommendations here: http://forums.minegarde.com/topic/2452-tw1g007s-gunlance-videos-and-information-database/

I've been using a mix of armor for awaken and artillery king using a Cornpopper with amazing results, especially using the max level version. Spread charged shots do hilarious damage due to the stacking multipliers and will rapidly break multiple parts on a monster at the same time. Thanks to free element it also does 500 slime damage which is just sweet butter on the cob.

I rather like having ESP with Bombardier with my Mighty Cornpopper. 660 Slime damage is nothing to shake a corn cob at!

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Office Thug posted:

If you're going to trap something, always ALWAYS bring 2 trap kits and 2 thunderbugs (or nets if it's Zinogre, also gently caress Zinogre), on top of the shock or pitfall trap.

On that note, not being able to destroy traps you've deployed is the stupidest bullshit in the universe. I've literally failed hunts because of this.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EAThief posted:

I think I'm running into a problem. I've been using long swords but I'm trying to figure out other weapons too. The problem I'm running into is that none of the other weapons have fade slash. I NEED fade slash. An attack AND a dodge all in one? Amazing. I've put like 500 hours at least into Demon's/Dark Souls and I think I'm trying to play this game the same way and it really isn't working out. Once I get out of that mindset maybe it'll be a little easier to use other stuff.

You just can't play other weapons as greedy as you can the longsword. You'll start to figure out when doing a full combo will get you hit and when it won't. (To put this in Dark Souls terms, learn how to be less of an R1 spammer, because that just gets you smacked by a dude with high poise.) Also keep in mind that each weapon has a different kind of dodge or block to it. The sidesteps that you can do with the switch axe, lance, gunlance, light bowgun, and dual swords seem to have a bit more in the way of invincibility frames than a normal dodge. There are also the Evade and Evade Distance skills, the first of which gives more invincibility frames to the dodge of any weapon you're using.

Yes, going from longsword to other weapons makes you lose fade slash, but you gain stuff that longsword doesn't have, like blocking, more damage per single strike, KO, different reach, etc.

Speedboat Jones fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Mr. Jive posted:

On that note, not being able to destroy traps you've deployed is the stupidest bullshit in the universe. I've literally failed hunts because of this.

Yeah. I figure they would have listened to fans complaining about unintuitive "one trap out at a time" bullshit since it has been in the series since day 1, but nope. You can't pick up traps, you can't destroy traps, and you can arbitrarily only place one at a time, because...? :spergin:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Would Stamina Thief or Knockout King be more desired for hammers?

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

RuBisCO posted:

Would Stamina Thief or Knockout King be more desired for hammers?

Both!

Edit: KO King is useful if you're consistently hitting heads all the time. Stam Drain is incredibly useful regardless of where you hit, since it has a very powerful effect on monsters after wailing on them for a while.

It really depends on your playstyle, but if its possible. You should try getting both skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Hey, so the combo books. Will they give me their bonus in the field if I leave them in the box or will I need to carry them with me?

• Locked thread