Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Nightblade posted:

What, why not?

It has something to do with 'natural oils' and some such. There exist similar sentiments regarding shampoo, conditioner, and all sorts of other things. Hell, many people are into cooking their own shampoo/conditioner out of beer. As long as you get yourself clean and don't feel gross and/or smell bad all the time, who cares about what some people think you 'should' do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
How do I fix a malfunctioning garage door. Here's a quick vid of the problem from outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Zun56dbTg From inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzZUnIjsdsM

This happens to my garage door if I use the remote or the button in the garage. I made sure there was no debris blocking the sensors at the bottom of the garage door. I had similar issue in the past where the door wouldn't shut all the way and would completely open the door again, but that went away some how.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

ijii posted:

How do I fix a malfunctioning garage door. Here's a quick vid of the problem from outside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-Zun56dbTg From inside: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzZUnIjsdsM

This happens to my garage door if I use the remote or the button in the garage. I made sure there was no debris blocking the sensors at the bottom of the garage door. I had similar issue in the past where the door wouldn't shut all the way and would completely open the door again, but that went away some how.

Is this a new door/motor? If so, check the installation manual to troubleshoot this. I forget exactly what it is called, but there is a collision detector built into never motors that will reverse the door if it detects something in the way. Basically your motor thinks that it should be travelling farther but the ground gets in the way and thinks that it is an obstacle, whereupon its programming tells it to retract. It is a very good safety feature ala elevator doors. I believe there is an adjustment screw for this somewhere on the motor housing.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does anyone actually use that Rosetta Stone software to successfully learn languages, or is it at useless as the commercials make me think?

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
It's about 12 years old, the same one used when the house was built.

Upon closer inspection, the left floor sensor shows up as yellow and the right as green, so now I suspect it has to do with the sensors, I can probably trouble shoot it from here if I can find a manual online.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

RaoulDuke12 posted:

As a lefty, let me propose a reason for this.

If you're right-handed, as you write from left to right your right hand leads and drags over blank page.

If you're left-handed, the pinky side of your left hand drags across fresh ink, smudging the page and getting all over your hand.

To compensate for this, we try to hook our hand around and upward so that it rests above the line we're writing, and hopefully doesn't smear what you've written.

Maybe I should learn Arabic.

Also, if you hold your hand the same way a right-handed person would you're pushing your pen across the page instead of pulling it. Hooking your hand around changes that as well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

muike posted:

Does anyone actually use that Rosetta Stone software to successfully learn languages, or is it at useless as the commercials make me think?

It works just fine. Bear in mind that it requires you to follow its practices and stuff and take at least a few hours a day learning with it to start getting beyond the basic comprehension level.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ijii posted:

Upon closer inspection, the left floor sensor shows up as yellow and the right as green, so now I suspect it has to do with the sensors, I can probably trouble shoot it from here if I can find a manual online.

It shouldn't move down at all if the beam sensors are having a problem/not pointed right. One's just an emitter, the other is a sensor, could be why different lights.

I'm thinking the same thing as tatpants, there's usually screws or knobs to adjust the upper and lower travel limits.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 9, 2013

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

ijii posted:

Good luck! If you find that you need a new motor, my father and I installed a whisperdrive in an afternoon. It is very quiet as the name suggests, mostly due to the fact that it uses a rubber belt as opposed to a chain. Pray to Bob Vila that you can fix it up :)

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
So I found the manual and you two are right, looks like I have to fiddle with the stupid travel limit adjusters. This sucks because the manual doesn't give specific adjustment instructions for this particular problem. It doesn't close nor open all the way and am not sure which travel limit to adjust, so I'll try one and hopefully I don't gently caress up my garage.

e: Figures, I hosed up the door :( , I hope it's just the chain knocked off the motor or whatever inside the box.

Chain is on sprocket, but motor just not having it.

e2: So the inner trolley of the Chamberlain liftmaster profession 1/3 hp went too far on the track as it was closing, I'm trying to figure out how to manually move the inner trolley connected to the chain.

ijii fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 10, 2013

KoB
May 1, 2009

RaoulDuke12 posted:

If you're right-handed, as you write from left to right your right hand leads and drags over blank page.

If you're left-handed, the pinky side of your left hand drags across fresh ink, smudging the page and getting all over your hand.

To compensate for this, we try to hook our hand around and upward so that it rests above the line we're writing, and hopefully doesn't smear what you've written.

Oh no, I understand the reason why, some people just get really creative is all.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Install Gentoo posted:

It works just fine. Bear in mind that it requires you to follow its practices and stuff and take at least a few hours a day learning with it to start getting beyond the basic comprehension level.

The other big caveat is that it only really works well with Romance languages.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

RaoulDuke12 posted:

My wife is left-handed & writes with a conventional right-handed grip but the paper is rotated clockwise almost 90' so her hand is below what she's writing. No claw-hand, no smearing, makes more sense.

roads
Feb 22, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Is there a secret to shipping packages?
I have a lot of cool knick knacks I want to sell on etsy/storenvy, but every time I calculate shipping to random zip codes in the US to come up with an estimate, it says something ridiculous like 20-30$ to ship a pair of shoes or a sweater using USPS. UPS/fedex isn't a whole lot different.

I buy things online a lot, and have never paid more than 5$ shipping. What am I doing wrong?

I'm in Virginia, US if it matters

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

roads posted:

I have a lot of cool knick knacks I want to sell on etsy/storenvy, but every time I calculate shipping to random zip codes in the US to come up with an estimate, it says something ridiculous like 20-30$ to ship a pair of shoes or a sweater using USPS. UPS/fedex isn't a whole lot different.

I buy things online a lot, and have never paid more than 5$ shipping. What am I doing wrong?

I'm in Virginia, US if it matters

Priority Mail Flat Rate Boxes/Envelopes

If it fits, it ships. The boxes are free, too. Just pick them up at a post office or order them online.

Edit: Also try Media Mail, if what you're shipping is eligible

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 10, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
"storm is moving at 15 miles an hour"

"plans start at 14.99 a month"

"wait half a minute"

Are any of these correct? If not I guess they're common enough most people think they should be allowed in print/said on tv? (I don't, doesn't seem right to me.)

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe

muike posted:

I have access to all Rosetta stone languages through work, and I'm almost through level one Spanish. I seriously doubt it would ever make me fluent, but it's helping for sure. I work with primarily Spanish speakers, and used to get by on hand gestures and speaking through translators. I can now ask simple questions and understand most answers without help, although I had to learn a lot of specialized words by pointing at things and asking "como se dice?"

My two big gripes with it I guess would be that it can be extremely picky about pronunciation, and that of course you can't ask it questions.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

"wait half a minute"

Are any of these correct? If not I guess they're common enough most people think they should be allowed in print/said on tv? (I don't, doesn't seem right to me.)

Those are all correct. What do you think is wrong with them?

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Wagonburner posted:

"wait half a minute"

They are all right. The reason hour has "an" is because you don't pronounce the h, effectively making it start with a vowel.

Edit: vvv Ah, okay. I misunderstood what you thought was wrong.

ThatPazuzu fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 10, 2013

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Earwicker posted:

Those are all correct. What do you think is wrong with them?

ThatPazuzu posted:

They are all right. The reason hour has "an" is because you don't pronounce the h, effectively making it start with a vowel.

To me it seems like it should always be: miles per hour, 14.99 per month, wait half of a minute.

An comes before a silent H sure, "wait half of an hour" but miles per hour seems way more correct, it's even got a P in the abbreviation on my speedometer.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 10, 2013

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

To me it seems like it should always be, miles per hour, 14.99 per month, wait half of a minute.

an comes before hour sure, wait half of an hour but miles per hour seems way more correct, it's even got a P in the abbreviation on my speedometer.

I would probably use "per" in formal writing but "miles an hour" is totally fine especially if spoken.

"Half of a minute" sounds a bit stilted and awkward.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
They're all a bit clumsy for written word, but are totally normal for casual conversation. You would more likely see them written as

"miles per hour"
"per month"
"wait thirty seconds"

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

roads posted:

What sizes for the packages and what weights are you using? A pair of shoes securely packed should weigh no more than 3 pounds and should ship clear across the country (like Virginia to California) for $15 by priority mail and $12 by standard post/parcel select; should ship Virginia to like Chicago for $10 priority and $9 parcel select; and should ship Virginia to NYC for $6.60 priority and the same for parcel. These are all the "standard online" price, it's higher if you weigh and buy postage at the actual post office.

As you see, the biggest cost difference is distance. When you buy something off Amazon, you get a $4-$5 shipping fee because they place distribution centers all over the country so that they can ship something to you at the lowest cost. On top of that, postal or shipping customers who send out a lot of stuff get contracts with the delivery services (USPS, UPS, FedEx etc) that charge them lower rates because they push so much business.

To help illustrate it, here's the prices eBay offers for shipping a 3 pound package (with dimensions 15x12x8 inches to represent a shoebox) from Northern Virginia just outside DC to various locations:

And their comparison matrix of the same prices were you to ship at physical locations for those services:

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

RaoulDuke12 posted:

I will add to this that my mother is left-handed, but she grew up in a school system that only taught right-handed writing exclusively. So she was taught as a lefty to twist her hand into a horrible claw to simulate right-handed writing.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

I will add to this that my mother is left-handed, but she grew up in a school system that only taught right-handed writing exclusively. So she was taught as a lefty to twist her hand into a horrible claw to simulate right-handed writing.

At least she was still permitted to use her left hand. One of my middle school teachers grew up in the Netherlands in the 1920s or 30s (pre-WWII anyway) and she told us she'd get swatted with a ruler if she did. She was completely ambidextrous as an adult too--when writing on the blackboard she'd stand in the middle, start with her left hand, and then swap to her right without missing a beat.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Wagonburner posted:

"wait half a minute"

They are all correct.

Some people think "per" is more correct in these situations (at least the first two), but in fact lots of style guides recommend against it except in technical writing. I've been searching for a link to prove this, but it's surprisingly difficult to Google "per".

Edit: Here's an example from The Guardian style guide.

quote:

per
avoid; use English: "She earns £30,000 a year" is better than "per year". If you must use it, the Latin preposition is followed by another Latin word, eg per capita, not per head. Exception: miles per hour, which we write mph

Edit 2: Another example, slightly different from the National Geographic style guide.

quote:

per
In editorial copy it is preferable to write:
$2.25 a day, not per day
miles an hour, not miles per hour

But per is used in:
pounds per square inch
revolutions per minute, etc.

Florida Betty fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 10, 2013

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Florida Betty posted:

They are all correct.

Some people think "per" is more correct in these situations (at least the first two), but in fact lots of style guides recommend against it except in technical writing. I've been searching for a link to prove this, but it's surprisingly difficult to Google "per".

Edit: Here's an example from The Guardian style guide.

Edit 2: Another example, slightly different from the National Geographic style guide.

This is very surprising to me because the phrase "dollars a month" makes no sense unless you mentally substitute "a" with "in a" or "per" or "every". It seems imprecise to simply use "a" when you mean something completely different. I guess that's just me, though. It is a colloquialism, which pretty much means that it is not the 'proper' use, right?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

TATPants posted:

This is very surprising to me because the phrase "dollars a month" makes no sense unless you mentally substitute "a" with "in a" or "per" or "every". It seems imprecise to simply use "a" when you mean something completely different. I guess that's just me, though. It is a colloquialism, which pretty much means that it is not the 'proper' use, right?

Are you maybe a native speaker of Spanish or French or some other Romance language? English doesn't follow the same rules. "Dollars a month" is perfectly acceptable and not a colloquialism. It's commonly used in both formal and informal writing. "Per" is the newcomer to the English language. It comes from Latin and was originally only used with Latin phrases (per diem, per annum, per capita). Its use has been expanded in recent years, but it's still not incorrect to say "miles an hour" or "dollars a month".

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

TATPants posted:

This is very surprising to me because the phrase "dollars a month" makes no sense unless you mentally substitute "a" with "in a" or "per" or "every". It seems imprecise to simply use "a" when you mean something completely different.

It doesn't mean something completely different. "a" means the same thing as "per" in that context.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011
I'm a native English speaker, but learned most of my grammar rules from Spanish since more nuanced grammar isn't *really* taught in school. For example, I didn't know that the subjunctive mood existed until I took Spanish. I understand where you guys are coming from now. I say "miles an hour" but would never write it that way. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have a scientific background and just prefer 'per' when written. I guess I just learned something new

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I would find it more odd to say "dollars per hour" than "dollars an hour."

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm a native English-speaker as well and know no other languages. To me miles an hour/14.99 a month sounds, like it does to tatpants, like some manner of colloquialism, I guess we're wrong though. (I'm an IT guy that read lots of science books as a kid and had/still have lots of sciency hobbies.)

edit: my engine twists at 1500 RAM in top gear going 65 MAH.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 10, 2013

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So, iTunes seems to have misplaced my music library. It's still all in the folder it should be, but I think the iTuneslibrary.xml or whatever got corrupted. This is the second time that's happened in as many months. Last time, I was able to just re-add my music folder to the library, but it took hours to accomplish and I still had to re-make all my playlists by hand. This time, I tried adding the iTunes music folder (where all my files are) to iTunes and it just stopped after one and a half albums.

So, does anybody know a solution? Right now I'm leaning towards just adopting a new music software (I've never liked iTunes anyways), but the complication is that I have an iPhone, so I need something that can work with that, and it needs to be able to categorize/subscribe to podcasts as well. I'd be willing to accept a new software recommendation, or some fix for this recurring problem with iTunes.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Wagonburner posted:

I'm a native English-speaker as well and know no other languages. To me miles an hour/14.99 a month sounds, like it does to tatpants, like some manner of colloquialism, I guess we're wrong though. (I'm an IT guy that read lots of science books as a kid and had/still have lots of sciency hobbies.)

edit: my engine twists at 1500 RAM in top gear going 65 MAH.

MPH and RPM are preferred when using the abbreviated form because "a" and "an" are rarely used in abbreviations. But it is still perfectly correct to use them when saying or writing the whole phrase out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I was prescribed an intramuscular injection* on Monday by my doctor, to be self-administered. I went to the pharmacy whereupon they told me they had the medicine ready, but they never got a prescription for syringes from my doc, so I can't administer the meds anyway. Are empty syringes really a prescription item or is this a 'depends on where you live' thing (Las Vegas, NV, USA in my case)? Do they come with needles attached or do I need to get THOSE separately too? Is there some reason my doctor didn't prescribed the syringes besides incompetence on the part of his office staff (or on my own part for not asking for them)?

* testosterone cypionate, if anyone cares. Eat poo poo, goon doctor rules thread title!

(edit) I guess I should note I've been trying to get my doctor's office to send over a syringe scrip. They keep saying they will; they haven't yet. Which is irritating as hell, because I like the doctor himself, but his office is poop shat from satan's butt :sigh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 10, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Nevada apparently does require a prescription for syringes except under certain circumstances, so call and ask your doctor if he'll call the pharmacy/write you a prescription.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Ciaphas posted:

I was prescribed an intramuscular injection* on Monday by my doctor, to be self-administered. I went to the pharmacy whereupon they told me they had the medicine ready, but they never got a prescription for syringes from my doc, so I can't administer the meds anyway. Are empty syringes really a prescription item or is this a 'depends on where you live' thing (Las Vegas, NV, USA in my case)? Do they come with needles attached or do I need to get THOSE separately too? Is there some reason my doctor didn't prescribed the syringes besides incompetence on the part of his office staff (or on my own part for not asking for them)?

* testosterone cypionate, if anyone cares. Eat poo poo, goon doctor rules thread title!

(edit) I guess I should note I've been trying to get my doctor's office to send over a syringe scrip. They keep saying they will; they haven't yet. Which is irritating as hell, because I like the doctor himself, but his office is poop shat from satan's butt :sigh:

You have a lovely pharmacy too. In that event, they should have called your doctor's office and gotten the drat prescription: They could have done so in a minute versus the 45 it would take you. In the very least, change pharmacists because someone who puts the burden of pharmaceutical bureaucracy on the patient is probably lazy or incompetent in other ways.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Ciaphas posted:

The prescription for the syringes is for insurance to pay for them. Just like diabeetus testing strips, you can buy them without a Rx but they are very expensive.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Is there any way for me to cash in a refund check from the power company addressed to a deceased family friend? I checked with customer service before I paid his last bill using my bank account then turned it on in my name (the house is under my name now as well.) The other day they sent me essentially the same bill but in my name along with a refund check for his bill I can't cash since it doesn't have my name on it. The company says they can't issue credit instead or re-print the check.

What can I do about this? I'm not exactly bleeding for cash but I don't want to throw away $150. Would I be able to talk to my bank and show them I paid that bill from my bank account so they can let me deposit it? His blood family is in another state and it feels petty to get them involved to cash in $150. He was practically family but because we don't have the same last name I'm screwed on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

XmasGiftFromWife posted:

The prescription for the syringes is for insurance to pay for them. Just like diabeetus testing strips, you can buy them without a Rx but they are very expensive.

After lots of phone calls I did manage to get the doctor's office to send the scrip, and the pharmacy seems to be processing it. In this case it's the walgreens across the street from my house--I didn't figure on any differences between pharmacies, so I let convenience do the driving. :v:

I'll look into changing it up once my refills run dry, couple months from now for both the medicine and syringes.

(Incidentally, my insurance is involved too, but that's a separate problem being worked on by them. Apparently testosterone cypionate is covered in my medical benefits but NOT my pharmaceutical benefits. You figure that one out, because I can't. At least the syringes are covered, I suppose, and the out of pocket on the meds isn't too awful...)