Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lammy!
Jul 3, 2004

WHAT TIME IS IT!?
Was listening in to the pcgamer interview, I'm very excited at the prospect of 'great works'. I'm sure the devs are already heading in that direction, but it'd be great if the major projects your colony can undertake have multiple and varied purpose/uses. I also noted that the devs mentioned in the interview that there'd be a significant resource cost associated with the projects - you could likely also implement additional challenges associated with their construction, such as a project that emanates foul eldritch energies, drawing hostile creatures or otherworldly elementals to attack your settlement as the project proceeds, or causing other unnatural side effects upon the colony.

Edit - I also like the fact that there seems to be an emphasis on experimentation and dealing with unknown and unforeseen consequences to your actions. I've seen other games attempt this however, and usually with enough hours sunk into a game all the mystery is eventually revealed and the systems learned. Does the team at gaslamp have any input on this hurdle / plans to mitigate it so that that sense of wonder and lack of predictability is maintained over the long-term?

Lammy! fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

nvining posted:

Yes, facial hair models are currently stratified in-engine by class.

I'm a few pages late, but WHY isn't this the subtitle for the thread now? :colbert:

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
If the thread title is going to change, I quite like "we built this wall of tags with our bare hands".

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I will provide a photograph of a diggle engaged in mortal combat with a rust monster if it will get me beta.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

New stuff!
http://www.gaslampgames.com/2013/04/10/april-technical-status-update/
Some pics too, I'll update the OP soon.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Honestly, while I know I probably won't be getting into the early tests, I'm glad that you seem to be targetting the right people that will give you good perspective and ideas.

That being said If you're making a list of first wave testers, I have played dredmor and df to all hell, and have modded both games, though my dredmor mods were more experimental than anything.

Also will you be continuing the development updates up until release?

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

They really went nuts on the tags this time.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

So I want to talk about factories. From what I've read on the blog it looks like pipes are possibly going to be a major feature and this fills me with joy. I've been playing a lot of minecraft lately with various mods, and I have been building increasingly elaborate and complex machinery interacting with itself over several lines of production.

Here's an example of an automated macerator setup in minecraft:

From the right you can see a chest which is where you input your ores, the next item is a pneumatic engine that moves the blocks into the orange pipe and places them in the white macerator machines. They run on electricity provided by the solar panels at the top and the green/blue boxes are more engines powering the output pipe which move the grinded ore dust into another chest. From there you could easily have an identical setup with furnaces instead of macerators and finish with refined metal.

Building these things are awesome because you're rewarded for efficient designs, having this in Clockwork Empires where you are able to fully automate production lines by having products moved into relevant industries through powered pipe networks instead of manual hauling would let the player save manpower for even more factories. Obviously you still need people in the factories but they could also work the farms or mines to provide more raw materials for your automated industries.

Another game that focuses on these aspects is Factorio, which does the same only on a larger scope:

I'm envisioning something similar to Factorio in Clockwork Empires, but I also realise the whole pipe idea might be scrapped entirely. Basically what I would like to see is options. Options to focus your industries and manpower in certain directions, you could even have different tech tree's with various tradeoffs to play into the themes of occult magic and steampunk science.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 10, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Clockwork Empires - Shameless Bribery and Machine Politics Within

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If I can build factory setups anywhere close to the scope of Factorio I will be a very happy man.

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

So what you're saying is that if someone lopped off your head with a katana, all your preferred beta-ness would flow into them in a process called the Clockening

Oh every night, and every day
A little piece of you is falling away
But lift your face, the western way, baby
Build your muscles as your body decays

That sounds kind of appropriate actually...

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

I've been following this thread since pretty well day 1 or 2 and every time I come into it I feel like a dumbass because you are all talking about :science: that sometimes goes way over my head. However I am also learning new things and enjoying the anecdotes.

That's all for now. Carry on.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spent the last few days catching up on this thread, and I have to say this game looks awesome. I'm one of those people who loves the idea of Dwarf Fortress and enjoys reading succession LPs, but has become spoiled by pretty graphics and just can't seem to make any headway in playing the game. This looks like it will scratch that itch and provide some weird steampunk-meets-Cthulhu Mythos insanity that I can't wait to play.

Also, I had been looking at Dungeons of Dredmor for a while now, and this thread convinced me to buy it. Roguelikes are cool, but generally not my thing, but if you guys are trying to do for DF-type games what you did for roguelikes, and everyone seems to agree that you did a good job, I gotta play it.

nvining
May 30, 2011

tunnels through walls with its odd, rubbery nasal appliance
Sorry I've been out of the loop this week. Let me catch up on things:

quote:

threats of Goon-on-Goon violence for beta keys

quote:

large concepts of pipe factories and fetishism of the same

quote:

suggestions for titles, most of which are not based on the game itself but rather on our propensity for tagging things

... Okay, have I missed anything? Ah. Yes:

Deki posted:

Also will you be continuing the development updates up until release?

Yes, that's the plan, although we'll see what actually happens as we get swamped. One of our goals when we started doing CE was to start involving people in the development process as much as possible as early as possible, and I think we're doing a good job of this so far.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

nvining posted:

Yes, that's the plan, although we'll see what actually happens as we get swamped. One of our goals when we started doing CE was to start involving people in the development process as much as possible as early as possible, and I think we're doing a good job of this so far.

Absolutely. All the dev blogs are very interesting and provide great insight on the design/development process. Makes the wait more bearable. Slightly.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

nvining posted:

... Okay, have I missed anything?
The slow divergence into Jacobins and Carlists for the upcoming Beta Key wars.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."

quote:

One of our goals when we started doing CE was to start involving people in the development process as much as possible as early as possible, and I think we're doing a good job of this so far.

I'd have to agree with that. It's pretty awesome seeing you consider ideas from the thread for the game.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Admiral Funk posted:

I'd have to agree with that. It's pretty awesome seeing you consider ideas from the thread for the game.

Yeah, this has basically become one of my favorite threads on the forums, just because of how involved nvining is with us, both with providing content and taking ideas from discussions.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
and because of his hot avatar.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Mostly because of his hot avatar.

and now because of his turn as Overseer of Bronzestabbed. I hope you are sharing the rest of that awesome with your office staff.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Mostly because of his hot avatar.

and now because of his turn as Overseer of Bronzestabbed. I hope you are sharing the rest of that awesome with your office staff.

Oh yeah, I should totally mention I'm doing that! Except, uh, I think you just did.

I'm largely doing it for research purposes.

Really.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

The slow divergence into Jacobins and Carlists for the upcoming Beta Key wars.

... Jacobins and Carlists? Surely they would be Jacobins and Girondins.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Will I be able to build stuff like that?
http://www.google.com/about/datacenters/gallery/index.html#/locations/douglas-county/2
This is important.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
So what other kinds of extinct species besides Aurochs are you guys gonna put in? Smiledons?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

nvining posted:

... Jacobins and Carlists? Surely they would be Jacobins and Girondins.
That would work better. I was trying to pull some loyalist/revolutionary Victorian factions and that's what came to mind.

I kinda started a fork of the Paradox Thread that's talking about how to present historical Bad Things in non-narrative games, which in turn broke off into the various personalities involved in the Scramble for Africa and their differences in methodology. That might be of interest to this thread.

*edit*
Africatalk has got me rereading Pakenham's Scramble for Africa and I came across a neat passage,

quote:

By the 1850s, west coast merchants had found acceptable alternatives to the forbidden market in slaves. It was all thanks to that genie of the brass boiler and black smokestack: steam. The steamboats' tall black smokestack was the symbol of the new Africa. The steam engine had not only revolutionized industrial production in Europe and, by means of railways, the transport of goods by land. It had revolutionized the transport of goods by sea. In the days of sail, only the most valuable, least bulky[,] and least perishable goods could pay their transport costs. Now the great ports like Liverpool, ports that had grown fat on the barter of manufactured goods for slaves, could grow even fatter on the exchange of those same goods for tropical products: groundnuts, peanuts, palm oil. Here was the antidote for slavery, "legitimate trade", a cure for the "open sore" of Africa, applied miraculously by steam.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 12, 2013

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Wipfmetz posted:

and because of his hot avatar.

I was really disappointed watching the video interview posted earlier once I saw nvining isn't actually a super swole diggle irl.

nvining
May 30, 2011

Soylent Pudding posted:

I was really disappointed watching the video interview posted earlier once I saw nvining isn't actually a super swole diggle irl.

You think *you're* disappointed.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

nvining posted:

You think *you're* disappointed.

Well, now we know where your cut of CE's money will go.

Gonna need so much paint to get the colour right.

A slightly more serious question, im curious at how much lightning and electrical energy is going to be a thing? Im on a major trip for everything lightning and application of lightning related media right now. Are we talking Tesla Coils or will we be able to ramp this up to full on Frankenstein Monster Obedient Manservant and enough coils to make Red Alert 3 blush?

I'll die a happy man if the sound of distant thunder fills me with glee while i wield the powers of lightning in industry and unleash horrible Wonderful lightning powered "Steel Men." :allears:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 13, 2013

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Can I "accidentally" release a self-replicating clockwork bug that infests the city, turning all the buildings and pipes into more bugs, which start making bugparts out of people when those materials run out?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

alarumklok posted:

Can I "accidentally" release a self-replicating clockwork bug that infests the city, turning all the buildings and pipes into more bugs, which start making bugparts out of people when those materials run out?

Only if you submit a bug report afterwards :haw:

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Spending time reading about Stanley and Livingstone and the other early African explorers is getting me even more pumped for this game. I can't wait for the survivors of my old colony to stumble out of the bush, broken and half-blind with scurvy, to be met by the search party from my new one, full of food and supplies and rich merchants in seersucker suits born on litters by the newly civilized natives.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Is the game going to be influenced by Heart of Darkness in its treatment of colonialism? Can you have your nation's navy bombard empty sections of the rainforest, for instance?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's an article on The Verge about a different kind of Clockwork Empire today. It's an interesting role reversal, and the concept art looks nice.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Volmarias posted:

There's an article on The Verge about a different kind of Clockwork Empire today. It's an interesting role reversal, and the concept art looks nice.

This is great, I especially like how foppish Link looks, he really looks like a guy who might need rescuing.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

alarumklok posted:

Have you been reading 7th Sigma lately?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Airconswitch posted:

Is the game going to be influenced by Heart of Darkness in its treatment of colonialism? Can you have your nation's navy bombard empty sections of the rainforest, for instance?
It's worth mentioning that the treatment of natives in HoD was mostly drawn from Stanley's expeditions. His first, traveling from Zanzibar to Boma at the mouth of the Congo, was characterized by pushing his way through various tribes, steaming down the river while under fire, and building stockades and guard posts whenever he camped on shore after the Lady Alice met its end. War drums and angry chanting was pretty much a constant, and he even traveled with Zanzibari slave traders for much of the way. He pissed off the natives so much that he actually ruined de Brazza's first expedition. de Brazza was a Livingstone-ist, in that he peacefully negotiated his way up the Ogowe river and, to my knowledge, only ever fired on two natives who were trying to steal his canoes. When he got to a tributary of the Congo, however, he was immediately attacked, completely unprovoked. He called off his expedition and, when he returned to Gabon, realized that Stanley had passed through the area.

If Gaslamp hasn't checked out Pakenham's Scramble for Africa, definitely do so. Its focus is mainly on the untamed ego of the rich white explorer and savage privilege of the white settler.

fleshy echidna
Apr 11, 2010
With all this discussion of colonialism I really hope the soldiers operate on gun lines and battle formations.

Basically I want to recreate this only with foppish steam punk soldiers and fungus monsters.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

fleshy echidna posted:

With all this discussion of colonialism I really hope the soldiers operate on gun lines and battle formations.

Basically I want to recreate this only with foppish steam punk soldiers and fungus monsters.

Ahh, the Martini Henrie a .45 caliber rifle capable (at 100yards) of putting a soft lead (now called a dum dum) bullet through two people and hit a third with enough force to kill. With the massed ranks the Zulu used, they just scythed them down.

They call Isandlewana a massacre, but you have to remember about 1000 Zulus died there on the British armies worst day - nearly as many as the Empire lost. Rourke's Drift cost them over three hundred more, and was fought on the same day, pretty much balancing the books.

My Dad used to reenact the Zulu war. So I'm used to the Martini. One of his friends made up a proper bullet and fired it into some ballistic gel at the local rifle range. He had to dig it out from the sand at the back, where it had impacted on the metal plate. The remains of the bullets he showed me were about an inch across.

You can see why they brought in international rules to use a smaller caliber solid round!

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Volmarias posted:

Has nothing to do with this kind of clockwork empire, but drat if i'd not play the hell out of it.

I loving love spellswords! :haw:

quote:

Military stuff

On that topic, how much control do we have over our military, total or are they reactionary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Iunnrais posted:

Have you been reading 7th Sigma lately?

I have no idea what that is, but if it has replicating clockwork bugs, it's on my "to read" list now.

But seriously, you should think about it. What's more horrifying than bone/sinew/flesh clockwork bugs? Nothing. :colbert:

• Locked thread