Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
A lot of the scenes in Despicable Me contain subtle safety messages to kids, like "Don't drink from random bottles you find" or "Don't play with weapons".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I wouldn't call the girl stepping into an iron maiden "subtle."

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Henchman of Santa posted:

I wouldn't call the girl stepping into an iron maiden "subtle."

Important safety tip, thank you Egon.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

I watched The Warriors yesterday and there was a really great little detail I caught: the gang logo on Rembrandt's vest looks much newer then the rest of the team's. That's 'cause Rembrandt's the newest member of the gang. They totally didn't have to put that in, and yet they did. Awesome movie.

nowning
Jun 30, 2007
Failed musician

burgeralarm posted:

In In Bruges, Colin Farrell's character wrestles with the inevitability of his own death after killing a kid in a botched assassination attempt. At the beginning of the movie, he's wearing a collared shirt with a few buttons unbuttoned and we see him playing with them, buttoning more as his death becomes increasingly likely. When he tries to kill himself, for instance, they're all buttoned. At the end of the movie, everyone who dies is wearing a tie: Harry, Ken, and the midget. Yet Colin Farrell's character leaves in an ambulance, two buttons unbuttoned.

Oh holy poo poo you're absolutely right. Mind blown. I had this totally wrong - I read the closing scene with Ray being put into the ambulance as symbolising a wake, with the mourners looking over him. Marie's solemn (as opposed to shocked) expression seemed to make more sense at a funeral than after watching a violent death but you're right, McDonagh does make a big deal of buttons and I can even add some more:
The little boy was also wearing a tie, in a communion suit.
The priest is also buttoned up to the neck but with a collar instead of a tie, obviously.
Also, possibly the Belgian who Harry assaulted at the base of the tower - I think he was in uniform, with a tie.

Also, this being right allows my pet theory that in Seven Psychopaths, Marty is Ray, having survived, run away and become a pacifist, but who is trying to write what he knows - crime.

There is tonnes of foreshadowing throughout the movie. Some of my favourites...
Harry insists on buying the dum-dums, out of his own greed or bloodlust. If he didn't, the midget's head wouldn't have exploded, and he would have seen that it was a midget and not a little boy, and would not have had to kill himself in line with how he explained it to Ken earlier.
The Belgian working in the tower wouldn't accept Ken's just-short loose change meaning he had a pocket full of change to throw from the tower to get people out of his way.
The tower is closed because an American had a heart attack.
Harry says he'd like to see Bruges again before he dies.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
I just re-watched The Dark Knight Rises, and for the whole movie you're hearing the story about how Bane climbed out of the Pit as a child. Then, in the Awesome Twist, it wasn't Bane who escaped, it was Talia!

Except during their first fight, in his badass monologues Bane says "Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man"

He straight up tells you didn't escape as a child way earlier in the movie, and no one noticed because it was just a stream of badass fightin' words.

(Oh God eighteen people have already posted this haven't they)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
No one understood wtf Bane was saying anyway :shobon: (I kid, sorta)

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Magnus Manfist posted:

I just re-watched The Dark Knight Rises, and for the whole movie you're hearing the story about how Bane climbed out of the Pit as a child. Then, in the Awesome Twist, it wasn't Bane who escaped, it was Talia!

Except during their first fight, in his badass monologues Bane says "Oh, you think darkness is your ally. But you merely adopted the dark; I was born in it, moulded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man"

He straight up tells you didn't escape as a child way earlier in the movie, and no one noticed because it was just a stream of badass fightin' words.

Thing that always bothered me about that line was that, in the movie, no one knows if he really was born in it or not. So if the first premise is false...

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Guilty posted:

Thing that always bothered me about that line was that, in the movie, no one knows if he really was born in it or not. So if the first premise is false...

I think people would be reading into it too much. Joker's back story is never the same and he's always lying about it, so it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that Bane is capable of lying as well.

My brother pointed this out to me. There is some feet in the bottom left hand corner of the screen; and it seemed like a really strange positioning to him. He figures it's a extremely subtle missionary sex joke.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw7R_3N-wGXONGE2MTJmZWUtMDM3My00MDJlLTliZjctNmJhNzhiNDMzNjVj/edit?hl=en_US

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
yeah, agreed. that rules

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Isn't that map a top-down view? Unless they're having sex in that position up against a wall (possible, I guess). I think it's supposed to be two people kissing, like a "two students hiding in the turret and making out" joke.

Still a good spot, though.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sagebrush posted:

Isn't that map a top-down view? Unless they're having sex in that position up against a wall (possible, I guess).

I rarely do this but :goonsay:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I thought one student was giving another a blowjob.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought one student was giving another a blowjob.

Standing up like that?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Decrepus posted:

Standing up?

Maybe one is Hagrid.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Decrepus posted:

Standing up like that?

I don't think the feet means they're literally standing up, it's just a simple way to communicate that "hey there is a person here".

probably putting way too much thought into this :spergin:

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

About three years late, but in Tron Legacy during Sam's fight with Tron, there's a few close-up shots of Clu's hand twirling a pair of spheres. A little later, when Kevin shows up, he puts down a pair of star-shaped objects which the camera stays on for a little bit. Presumably those stars would be more difficult to twirl with one hand compared to the balls. I think Kevin was holding one star in each hand while Clu only used one for both spheres.

I'm sure there's more.

Nikaer Drekin
Oct 11, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Evilpiggie posted:

I think people would be reading into it too much. Joker's back story is never the same and he's always lying about it, so it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that Bane is capable of lying as well.

And just because Talia turned out to be the child of the mercenary in the story, that doesn't mean Bane wasn't also born in the prison. Maybe that's why he was so protective of her- he knew what it was like to endure that hell as a child.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Evilpiggie posted:

it wouldn't be a stretch to imagine that Bane is capable of lying as well.

Bane is all about theatrics and drama just as the League of Shadows taught (and that Bruce took to heart what with the dressing up like a giant bat), he spins a larger than life story about his origins that serves to make him appear even more menacing and terrifying to his followers/enemies with the added benefit of allowing them to keep Talia hidden in plain sight, since it is HER story that he has allowed others to think is his.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Level Slide posted:

About three years late, but in Tron Legacy during Sam's fight with Tron, there's a few close-up shots of Clu's hand twirling a pair of spheres. A little later, when Kevin shows up, he puts down a pair of star-shaped objects which the camera stays on for a little bit. Presumably those stars would be more difficult to twirl with one hand compared to the balls. I think Kevin was holding one star in each hand while Clu only used one for both spheres.

I'm sure there's more.

Actually, and I'm not going to spoiler this because Tron's been out three years and it's not really a spoiler, but the star shaped things that Flynn had in his hand are meant to be statues or figures of Bit, the companion from Tron that was an orange diamond when answering "Yes", a red star when replying with "no", and a blue spherical shape all other times. Clu was just holding balls.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nowning posted:

There is tonnes of foreshadowing throughout the movie. Some of my favourites...
Harry insists on buying the dum-dums, out of his own greed or bloodlust. If he didn't, the midget's head wouldn't have exploded, and he would have seen that it was a midget and not a little boy, and would not have had to kill himself in line with how he explained it to Ken earlier.

I thought it was the other way round, he only buys a few dum-dums ("I know I shouldn't....but I will" is the best response when offered illegal bullets), and then reloads at some point. If he'd bought more the dum-dum wouldn't have penetrated all the way through Ray and into the dwarf

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Xenoletum posted:

Actually, and I'm not going to spoiler this because Tron's been out three years and it's not really a spoiler, but the star shaped things that Flynn had in his hand are meant to be statues or figures of Bit, the companion from Tron that was an orange diamond when answering "Yes", a red star when replying with "no", and a blue spherical shape all other times. Clu was just holding balls.

Well that's what I get for jumping into Legacy without seeing the original Tron.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Xenoletum posted:

Clu was using those balls to control the gravity in the arena.

Anyway, I recently rewatched Stranger Than Fiction (incredibly underrated film, easily Will Ferrell's best) and caught something I somehow managed to miss the other nine or ten times I've seen it. The main plot is that the main character, Harold (Ferrell), suddenly begins hearing a woman's voice narrating his life. He's hearing a well-known author writing a story that just so happens to be, well, his life. The thing is, she's famous for writing books where the main character dies. They meet, there is much drama, and she rewrites things at the last second so his watch is destroyed and that saves his life.

Thing is, throughout the narration you hear just as much about what his wristwatch, which is this awesome super-elaborate thing, thinks about situations as you do about Harold, and the watch actively takes part in moving the romance plot along. The watch was the main character of the story the whole time, and Harold has been, in reality, hearing the narration from the rewritten manuscript in which he survives.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Level Slide posted:

Well that's what I get for jumping into Legacy without seeing the original Tron.

The second movie is knowingly a direct rerun of the first, but if you watch the original Tron you will enjoy Legacy so much more as you pick up all the hidden references. Sam Flynn is living in an old garage called Dumont's; in the first movie Walter Gibbs, the founder of Encom, mentions that he started the company in a garage, and by the concept of programs looking like their Users he was also the programmer of an I/O Tower Guardian named Dumont. In Tron Flynn is seen playing a handheld electronic game in the upstairs flat at the arcade; in Legacy, Sam finds the same game there 27 years later. Similarly, when Sam turns on the power at the arcade and the jukebox plays, it's playing the other side of the single that was playing on the juke in 1982. That's not the end of it, but it's all I'm prepared to type.

A subtle moment I enjoy in Highlander. After MacLeod leaves the Kurgan in the church, the priest asks the laughing Kurgan to be quiet. The following conversation takes place:

Priest: This is a house of God. People are trying to pray, you're disturbing them.
Kurgan: He cares about these helpless mortals?
Priest: Of course. He died for our sins.
Kurgan: That shall be his undoing.

It seems to be a bit nonsensical at first, but not out of character for the Kurgan. Then, you realise the Kurgan hadn't even noticed the priest and it's not actually a conversation at all. He is talking to himself, thinking aloud about how he can beat MacLeod. "He cares about these helpless mortals ... that shall be his undoing". Sure enough, the Kurgan is next seen stalking Conner and Brenda at the zoo, after which he follows her home and kidnaps her as bait to distract MacLeod in the final fight.

nowning
Jun 30, 2007
Failed musician

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought it was the other way round, he only buys a few dum-dums ("I know I shouldn't....but I will" is the best response when offered illegal bullets), and then reloads at some point. If he'd bought more the dum-dum wouldn't have penetrated all the way through Ray and into the dwarf

I thought he picked up a handful at first, then changed his mind and took the whole box. As you said using a regular bullet would explain why it didn't explode inside Ray but I thought that maybe they are designed to explode after entering a skull (high energy impact), but going through Ray's torso doesn't offer as much resistance so they don't explode until much later. I'm not sure.

DarkUltim8Hedgehog
Dec 5, 2012

Magnus Manfist posted:

Plothole or not, it was definitely one of my favorite parts of the whole film. Sort of beating Batman at his own game.

NGL
Jan 15, 2003
AssKing

DarkUltim8Hedgehog posted:

Plothole or not, it was definitely one of my favorite parts of the whole film. Sort of beating Batman at his own game.

Yeah, the Dark Knight Bruce Wayne is a little thick at times. Not so much the world's greatest detective. More like... Gotham City's.

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

NGL posted:

Yeah, the Dark Knight Bruce Wayne is a little thick at times. Not so much the world's greatest detective. More like... Gotham City's.

He is just a lovely boyfriend/sperg: he can reconstruct a bullet that was embedded in a brick in order to get a finger print, but he can't pay any attention to the woman laying next to him.

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Hughlander posted:

This goes along with my theory as well that everything in Doctor Strangelove is a sexual double entendre as La Puta can also mean the whore. Pretty much every characters name has a sexual connotation.
Alexei de Sadeski - drop the ski and you have 'de Sade' from which we get sadism
You don't even have to go that far, the Marquis de Sade was a notorious French author, and his most well known work is the notorious '120 Days of Sodom.'

Evilpiggie
Feb 22, 2009

Terminal Entropy posted:

He is just a lovely boyfriend/sperg: he can reconstruct a bullet that was embedded in a brick in order to get a finger print, but he can't pay any attention to the woman laying next to him.

I have heard from more than one comic book fanatic theorize that he's suffering from mental disorder that give him a problem connecting with other people. It sorta makes sense to me.

In the remake of The War Of The World's, Tom Crusie is throwing a baseball around with his son; but in the shot where he actually throws the baseball; he just has a closed fist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-tilzx1jsg

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Ez posted:

This is probably a really stupid question but in The Rocky Horror Picture Show is there any significance to Frank, Riff Raff and Magenta being present at Ralph and Betty's wedding? I always just assumed it was a weird little detail that didn't mean anything but I'm curious if there's something I'm missing.
This is from a bunch of pages ago, but it broke my little nerd heart to see Rocky Horror totally dismissed as not being worth analyzing for subtle moments.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show film was originally intended to have a huge Wizard of Oz nod. The first chunk of the movie was to be shot in black and white, with the film turning to color as a dramatic reveal (when Frank N Further is shown during "Sweet Transvestite.") It was too expensive to shoot in both black and white AND color however, so the idea was ditched. There's an easter egg on the DVD that allows you to watch the movie with the Oz version recreated. Another Oz homage: The voices of the Translyvanians were sped up in order to resemble the Munchkins.

Anyway, the reoccurring actors during the opening scene wasn't entirely a budget-related choice, but was another reference to Oz. Just like how the Scarecrow, TinMan, Lion, etc, were played by the same actors from Kansas scenes, Riff, Magenta, Columbia and Frank were also being echoed in the beginning of Rocky as the church keepers, which was also supposed to be in black and white like Oz. A bunch of the Trannies from the Time Warp also show up at the wedding in normal clothes.

Speaking of the wedding scene, "Dammit Janet" has some foreshadowing that can be easily ignored. The wedding party breaks up and Brad and Janet start their musical proclamation of love in front of a cemetery. During the wind-up to this song, a storm is rolling in and a few claps of thunder can even be heard. As they proceed into the chapel, the church keepers are preparing the church for a funeral. As the couple sing merrily, the background characters are switching the white flowers to black and bringing a casket to the altar. Brad and Janet even kiss and close the song almost right in front of the casket. These are all harbingers of their ill-fated trip that will wreck their cutesy little relationship.

And if all that still doesn't convince you that Rocky Horror is worth analyzing for subtleties, gently caress you here's THREE American Gothic nods that most people don't catch.

VoidBurger has a new favorite as of 02:11 on Apr 12, 2013

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, Rocky Horror has a subtextual plot to it's surface plot. The Criminologist's notes give away that Frank is at the wedding, proving it was no accident, and suggesting that it really IS the Transylvanians there, and not just look a likes.
The theory I've always heard is that Frank N. Furter is correct when he accuses Brad of being Dr. Scott's flunkie, deliberately sent to the mansion to investigate Eddie's disappearance, and that theory explains the weird way Brad is acting in the car beforehand. It seems to me that the cut song at the end, "Superheroes" has Brad suggest this too, doesn't it?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, Rocky Horror has a subtextual plot to it's surface plot. The Criminologist's notes give away that Frank is at the wedding, proving it was no accident, and suggesting that it really IS the Transylvanians there, and not just look a likes.
The theory I've always heard is that Frank N. Furter is correct when he accuses Brad of being Dr. Scott's flunkie, deliberately sent to the mansion to investigate Eddie's disappearance, and that theory explains the weird way Brad is acting in the car beforehand. It seems to me that the cut song at the end, "Superheroes" has Brad suggest this too, doesn't it?
I coulda sworn I've seen a pic in the Crimonologist's book that had Tim Curry as the Priest circled in red but I couldn't track it down so I didn't include it in my post, in case I was making poo poo up! Brad's lyrics in "Superheroes" are very, very vague and could be applied to anything: "I've done a lot / God knows I've tried / To find the truth / I've even lied / But all I know / is down inside I'm bleeding" (and it HAS been applied to the theory that there was a deleted scene where Riff does some anal on Brad after Frank's done gobblin' his knob.)

In the same vein as American Gothic, here's another art history nod in Rocky Horror. During "Eddie's Teddy", there's a few lyrics about Eddie's mom, during which this picture is shown in the Criminologist's book:

Which is a recreation of Whistler's Mother, starring Meatloaf.

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

Hughlander posted:

Lionel Mandrake - Mandrake was believed to be an aphrodisiac in addition to a poison likewise...

It's also ironic since mandrake causes delerium and hallucinations, and Captain Mandrake appears to be the only officer on the base who isn't insane.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inception is basically chock full of subtle movie moments. Once they get into the main dream section they ask Cillian Murphy's character for random numbers claiming its a safe combination and that number comes up multiple times later. Like the fake phone number the girl gives in the bar or the hotel room numbers they hide out in. Also it IS the combination to the safe in the final dream stage.

The movie also has a subtle way of letting you know when something is a dream or not because in a dream Cobb (Leonardo DiCaprio's character) still wears his wedding ring.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

I'm glad you brought up Inception since it gives me a chance to repost this doosy in regards to the music used as a "kick" to wake up from the dream and it's relation to Hans Zimmer's score you hear within the dream (where perceived time in each dream level is 20 times greater each level you go down.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVkQ0C4qDvM

John Liver
May 4, 2009

I'm all but certain this has been posted somewhere in the thread, but I just noticed one in Inside Man:

When Jodie Foster's character, Ms. White, is introduced, she's talking with a man in a fancy suit with a slicked-back ponytail. She asks him something to the effect of, "...and I understand you haven't spoken to your uncle in quite a while, is that right?" And he says, "We haven't seen each other for nine years." This dialogue has nothing to do with the plot that happens before or after, so the audience assumes it's incidental.

But once the plot of the film is nearly over:
White confronts Mr. Cash (Christopher Plummer) who admits to selling out his best friends to the Nazis in order to get rich quick. Furious for several reasons and disgusted at him, she says "Well Arthur, I'd love to tell you what a monster you are, but, uh, I have to help Bin Laden's nephew buy a co-op on Park Avenue."

She isn't joking. That was the man she spoke to earlier in the film.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I dunno if it's especially "subtle" but Rec 3 starts with an All Your Base reference and what I assume is a joke about Japanese pronunciation.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

VoidBurger posted:

In the same vein as American Gothic, here's another art history nod in Rocky Horror. During "Eddie's Teddy", there's a few lyrics about Eddie's mom, during which this picture is shown in the Criminologist's book:

Which is a recreation of Whistler's Mother, starring Meatloaf.

This reminds me, I remember watching a short documentary on the making of Rocky Horror once where one of the designers (from memory) mentions that one of the reasons they tossed in so many famous works of art (the Mona Lisa, for example) is because they liked the notion that these were actually all the originals that Frank had picked up but then just randomly slapped around different parts of the mansion in an effort to make it look properly decorated/human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm sure that PTA and Magnolia are mentioned frequently here, but I absolutely love that little dialogue at the end when Quiz Kid Donnie Smith is talking to Jim about wanting to get braces to impress Brad. The way he trails off on "and I don't even need..." is great.