Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Watching her awkwardly moving her head to the beat has killed the magic of dance for me forever

Goddamn, girl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I'm glad she finally got to bring some games back to the TV againHEYWAITITSONAMONITOR!

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

XboxPants posted:

Heh, we've long known we could need one, but when we started planning a Kickstarter I made sure we actually came up with one. It's one thing to gamble my own time & money on an OUYA, but our Kickstarter ended before the OUYA backer units went out. I was very aware that it was possible that when March 28th rolled around, it would fail so massively that there was no way we could even try to do coverage. There was no way I was going to let people give us money without a backup plan.

It's just not going to generate enough news to write about. You need regular new content to get people looking at a site. The user base is tiny as well. Covering the whole niche of android gaming systems would at least give you something to write articles about. No reason to just work on one project at a time either if you want to try to make a living at it.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

XboxPants posted:

(it shocks me when my friends tell me their computer can't handle it well, but apparently it's more common than you'd think. mostly people with just a laptop.)

You really think a Tegra 3 is going to run Minecraft better than a 5 year old laptop?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

theflyingorc posted:

Actually, he is pretty negative about it:

And he apparently has been told that the press will be getting review units in May. So they have a month to turn things around. Good luck OUYA!

That the ones going out now are being called "preview units" is really loving scummy. The reason lovely Marketing 101 can work like it does is in part due to people not calling it out. Don't call it a review unit. State flat out "these are the units backers were promised" and if there was no mention of backers getting a 'beta' or 'preview' unit just a 'unit' then you loving say it. If the SHAQFU marketing people put out a statement claiming otherwise then post it with your rebuttal; which should be along the lines of "these claims only because to come from the maker after people started getting their consoles and noticed the subpar quality".

But expecting from most gaming journalists is like expecting Rick Santorum to perform an abortion.

Louisgod posted:

I've always wondered what the audience was like that these games are marketed to. Jesus gently caress. gently caress Kotaku, gently caress anime.

That's nothing, try the TBS/Dating Sim monster that is Agarest War(now on greenlight!):
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=136433118

I could easily see this game, or ones just as hosed up, on the ONIICHAN.

Mercury Crusader posted:

Woah now, don't jump the gun there. There's plenty of time for a migraine warning caused by OUYA usage.

Wario Land justifies the existence of the Virtual Boy. Maybe someday the OUYA can get that one good game? (ahahahaha)

Wario Land and Virtual Tennis were worth the (permanent) eye damage the Virtual Boy caused.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Crackbone posted:

You really think a Tegra 3 is going to run Minecraft better than a 5 year old laptop?

Well no, he doesn't actually think.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Wario Land and Virtual Tennis were worth the (permanent) eye damage the Virtual Boy caused.

The best part about the Virtual Boy was that it gave us these 100 great games.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

You forgot Teleroboxer and Red Alarm. :colbert:

KillerMojo
Mar 30, 2007

The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
- Douglas Adams

Evil Fluffy posted:

That the ones going out now are being called "preview units" is really loving scummy. The reason lovely Marketing 101 can work like it does is in part due to people not calling it out. Don't call it a review unit. State flat out "these are the units backers were promised" and if there was no mention of backers getting a 'beta' or 'preview' unit just a 'unit' then you loving say it. If the SHAQFU marketing people put out a statement claiming otherwise then post it with your rebuttal; which should be along the lines of "these claims only because to come from the maker after people started getting their consoles and noticed the subpar quality".

But expecting from most gaming journalists is like expecting Rick Santorum to perform an abortion.

That's what is really irritating me now, Julie is getting away with some of her bullshit. Even those critical to the launch are starting to refer to the milestones the way she's dictating them (review units, consumer preview, retail launch is real launch), which gives all her contradictions and half-truths a buy. gently caress!

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

KillerMojo posted:

That's what is really irritating me now, Julie is getting away with some of her bullshit. Even those critical to the launch are starting to refer to the milestones the way she's dictating them (review units, consumer preview, retail launch is real launch), which gives all her contradictions and half-truths a buy. gently caress!
I don't understand why reviewers are still asking us to assume that HOOHOO is manufacturing prototypes for the backers at the same time they are making "retail" units. It doesn't make any sense at all.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
Isn't the thing about Minecraft that Microsoft paid Mojang quite a number of shitloads of money for it to be a 360 exclusive? And therefore wouldn't be happy if it showed up on another console? And doesn't Microsoft make twice what Uhrman got in the time it takes Bill Gates to scratch his nuts?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Babylon Astronaut posted:

I don't understand why reviewers are still asking us to assume that HOOHOO is manufacturing prototypes for the backers at the same time they are making "retail" units. It doesn't make any sense at all.

They are game reviewers with little or no education. I call them game reviewers because there are very few, or many none that should be considered journalists.

redmercer posted:

Isn't the thing about Minecraft that Microsoft paid Mojang quite a number of shitloads of money for it to be a 360 exclusive? And therefore wouldn't be happy if it showed up on another console? And doesn't Microsoft make twice what Uhrman got in the time it takes Bill Gates to scratch his nuts?

I don't know if it's exclusive but I know it's worthwhile having minecraft on the 360 as it is helping to drive sales of the console and MS get a cut of the minecraft sales. I know there are customisation features on the 360 that aren't present in the PC version as well. So there's definitely some sort of deal going on.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 11, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Devian666 posted:

It's just not going to generate enough news to write about. You need regular new content to get people looking at a site. The user base is tiny as well. Covering the whole niche of android gaming systems would at least give you something to write articles about. No reason to just work on one project at a time either if you want to try to make a living at it.

Oh yeah, even if OUYA succeeds we're gonna cover stuff from other similar platforms that pop up, as well. There's just not much to say since OUYA's the only one that's out. Right now there really is plenty to write about for OUYA, though. There are at least fifteen more OUYA games that are out now that I want to cover. Not saying that there are fifteen great games, but there are fifteen that are at least worth talking about. (FFIII is a great example) Between that and upcoming games, we could easily be doing daily content.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

XboxPants posted:

Oh yeah, even if OUYA succeeds we're gonna cover stuff from other similar platforms that pop up, as well. There's just not much to say since OUYA's the only one that's out. Right now there really is plenty to write about for OUYA, though. There are at least fifteen more OUYA games that are out now that I want to cover. Not saying that there are fifteen great games, but there are fifteen that are at least worth talking about. (FFIII is a great example) Between that and upcoming games, we could easily be doing daily content.

Yeah I'm sure there's a lot to be written about Final Fantasy 3 at this point and you're just the guy to do it.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

JazzFlight posted:

Ughhhhh, I shudder to think of how to play the PC version of Minecraft with a controller using xpadder. That sounds like a hoooooorrible idea.

The 360 version works amazingly with a controller because they streamlined the inventory/crafting system.

Works great actually! I use it when i'm tired and just want to lay on my sofa and craft some mines.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Install Gentoo posted:

Well no, he doesn't actually think.

Often true, but not in this case. A one year old phone will actually run Minecraft Pocket very well. It wouldn't be able to run the full version any better than the laptop, sure, but that's why Pocket is dumbed down.

Dex posted:

Yeah I'm sure there's a lot to be written about Final Fantasy 3 at this point and you're just the guy to do it.

All I mean is that games that aren't very good can still be worth writing about. Yeah, in that case it's all criticisms that have been made before, but it's worth saying them again if people are considering a purchase. It would be pertinent info to offer someone browsing a site about OUYA games, though you're certainly right that most people would just look up a review of the DS or Android version.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Crackbone posted:

Maybe he means a stripped down version of Minecraft on a Tegra 3 runs better than an up to date, fully featured, with mods and poo poo Minecraft runs on an old laptop. Clearly, the FANGDANGOUYA is the winner here.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
I'm pretty sure if someone made a dubstep rage meme reddit mra twin stick shooter on the OUYA it would be the highest selling game on the system. Also the things you kill drop bitcoins to buy more rage equipment with.

luncheon meat
Oct 11, 2007

Brendan Jones, 42, Bendigo

XboxPants posted:

You guys underestimate how many people there are with no Xbox who play and love Minecraft but don't have a computer that can run it well. (it shocks me when my friends tell me their computer can't handle it well, but apparently it's more common than you'd think. mostly people with just a laptop.)

Here are the system requirements from the Minecraft site:

quote:

Minimum Requirements:
CPU : Intel P4/NetBurst Architecture or its AMD Equivalent (AMD K7)
RAM : 2GB
GPU : Intel GMA 950 or AMD Equivalent

Recommended Requirements:
CPU : Intel Pentium D or AMD Athlon 64 (K8) 2.6 GHz
RAM : 4GB
GPU : GeForce 6xxx or ATI Radeon 9xxx and up with OpenGL 2 Support (Excluding Integrated Chipsets)

With the exception of RAM it looks like any old piece of poo poo PC could run it alright. Perhaps those people should just invest in some more RAM instead of an OUYA.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, in that case it's all criticisms that have been made before, but it's worth saying them again if people are considering a purchase.

Are you lying to me or yourself here

god I don't care, good luck with your career of reviewing endless Flying Car sequels

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Necroneocon posted:

I'm pretty sure if someone made a dubstep rage meme reddit mra twin stick shooter on the OUYA it would be the highest selling game on the system. Also the things you kill drop bitcoins to buy more rage equipment with.

If only Meme Defense had met its funding goal.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

XboxPants posted:

Often true, but not in this case. A one year old phone will actually run Minecraft Pocket very well.

Minecraft Pocket barely does anything though.

Incidentally here's the OUYA concept in 2010 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeebo

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 11, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

Zeether posted:

You forgot Teleroboxer and Red Alarm. :colbert:

At that point you're pretty much naming the entire Virtual Boy library.

So there you have it, Virtual Boy: the best library of video games, ever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Its good-to-poo poo ratio is definitely better than the OUYA's, that's for sure!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Dex posted:

I've been waiting half a decade to publish my own journalistic thoughts on Pac-Man, and if it ever comes to Ouya it may be my only shot at Pac-Man relevancy

don't ruin this for me, man!!

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Virtual Boy wasn't so bad as everyone makes it out to be. The problem was most people who tried it and complained about headaches, didn't actually own one so never read the instruction manual which explained how to play it without getting headaches :) See, there are two adjustments you are supposed to make every time you turn it on: focus and IOD (interocular distance). The first screen that comes up has a "VB" in each corner, you are supposed to adjust the focus slider until it's perfectly sharp, and then turn the IOD knob until you can see all four "VB"'s equally apart. Do that and you shouldn't get headaches (I worked as a Nintendo Gameplay Counselor when the Virtual Boy was just coming out).

As for good VB games, these are the games I thought were worth owning the system for:
Warioland VB
Teleroboxer (Punch Out with robots)
Jack Bros.
Space Pinball

To make this post somewhat on topic, I tried out Beast Boxing Turbo on OUYA today, that's a very good Punch Out clone with great artwork.

Aweful Dreams fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 11, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Aweful Dreams posted:

(I worked as a Nintendo Gameplay Counselor when the Virtual Boy was just coming out).

Oh god, you defended the virtual boy on release? No wonder you're equipped to champion the OUYA.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

kirbysuperstar posted:

If only Meme Defense had met its funding goal.

Goddammit we could have had the Game of the Century.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Aweful Dreams posted:

Virtual Boy wasn't so bad as everyone makes it out to be. The problem was most people who tried it and complained about headaches, didn't actually own one so never read the instruction manual which explained how to play it without getting headaches :) See, there are two adjustments you are supposed to make every time you turn it on: focus and IOD (interocular distance). The first screen that comes up has a "VB" in each corner, you are supposed to adjust the focus slider until it's perfectly sharp, and then turn the IOD knob until you can see all four "VB"'s equally apart. Do that and you shouldn't get headaches (I worked as a Nintendo Gameplay Counselor when the Virtual Boy was just coming out).
Arrrrgh, dude you are so annoying and I even think the Virtual Boy was kinda cool in the 90s. Stop having to post in everything's defense all the time.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Aweful Dreams posted:

As for good VB games, these are the games I thought were worth owning the system for:
Warioland VB
Jack Bros.
Space Pinball

No, don't do this. Don't loving do this. Defending OUYA and SimCity is tiptoeing around a line you shouldn't cross. Defending Virtual Boy is enough to cross that line.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I expect XboxPants to LP Final Fantasy 3 on OUYA when he gets his.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

MrBims posted:

No, don't do this. Don't loving do this. Defending OUYA and SimCity is tiptoeing around a line you shouldn't cross. Defending Virtual Boy is enough to cross that line.

Will he defend the Nokia N-Gage or Apple Pippin next? Lets find out!

"I was a huge fan of Zelda on the CD-i"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Necroneocon posted:

Will he defend the Nokia N-Gage or Apple Pippin next? Lets find out!

The Casio Loopy was a great console ahead of its time you guys! :goonsay:

CousinKevin
Oct 16, 2012

Ever since they worked on that project together, her life turned around and became more exciting.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Warioland VB
Jack Bros.
Space Pinball

To make this post somewhat on topic, I tried out Beast Boxing Turbo on OUYA today, that's a very good Punch Out clone with great artwork.

What are you going to defend next? Always online Xbox? Nintendo CD-i games? Hitler?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Dex posted:

Are you lying to me or yourself here

god I don't care, good luck with your career of reviewing endless Flying Car sequels

All I'm saying is if I write a post about OUYA RPGs, I'm gonna mention FFIII and the weird balance/difficulty changes they made for the mobile port.

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Casio Loopy was a great console ahead of its time you guys! :goonsay:

Hmm...

That thing looks great imo. It looks really comfortable.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 11, 2013

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Heh - I tell people how to play VB without getting headaches and mention a few games that were great on the system, and people say I'm "defending" it? That says more about you than me :P

I know the VB wasn't a great system - it was billed as a portable system but was large and bulky and required a table, it shipped with a Tennis game packed in at a time before mainstream gamers had appeared on the scene (I complained about that to other people at Nintendo at the time), playing it was an antisocial activity, they tried to revive sales with "Nester's Funky Bowling", and it had horrible marketing. And the need for those IOD adjustments and the fact they couldn't make it full-color due to cost, meant its tech was just not ready as a product.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Aweful Dreams posted:

Heh - I tell people how to play VB without getting headaches and mention a few games that were great on the system, and people say I'm "defending" it? That says more about you than me :P

I know the VB wasn't a great system - it was billed as a portable system but was large and bulky and required a table, it shipped with a Tennis game packed in at a time before mainstream gamers had appeared on the scene (I complained about that to other people at Nintendo), playing it was an antisocial activity, they tried to revive sales with "Nester's Funky Bowling", and it had horrible marketing. And the need for those IOD adjustments and the fact they couldn't make it full-color due to cost, meant its tech was just not ready as a product.

HEH :P

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Aweful Dreams posted:

I know the VB wasn't a great system - it was billed as a portable system but was large and bulky and required a table, it shipped with a Tennis game packed in at a time before mainstream gamers had appeared on the scene (I complained about that to other people at Nintendo at the time), playing it was an antisocial activity, they tried to revive sales with "Nester's Funky Bowling", and it had horrible marketing. And the need for those IOD adjustments and the fact they couldn't make it full-color due to cost, meant its tech was just not ready as a product.

Seriously, these guys are jerks. I don't know how anyone could interpret

Aweful Dreams posted:

Virtual Boy wasn't so bad as everyone makes it out to be.

as a defense of the system! Poppydocker.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

CousinKevin posted:

What are you going to defend next? Always online Xbox? Nintendo CD-i games? Hitler?
The always online NinHitler CD-Xbox?

Do we have enough posts for an Aweful Markov yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

XboxPants posted:

There are at least fifteen more OUYA games that are out now that I want to cover. Not saying that there are fifteen great games, but there are fifteen that are at least worth talking about. (FFIII is a great example)

Please name the other fourteen.

• Locked thread