Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
For malazan novels the conventional wisdom is they're mediocre by comparison (though I quite like them, especially Orb Sceptre Throne). For general fantasy they're considered still way above average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Return of the Crimson Guard is still his best novel, as far as I'm concerned.

Hipster Occultist posted:

1. Why did Cotillion shank the CG? 2. Was was Herboric doing?

1. Not stated. Presumably it was a matter of destroying his physical shell so he could leave the world and go back to his, which was only possible because of all the stuff going on at the same time.

2. Can you be more precise? What was he doing when what?

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Return of the Crimson Guard is still his best novel, as far as I'm concerned.

1. Not stated. Presumably it was a matter of destroying his physical shell so he could leave the world and go back to his, which was only possible because of all the stuff going on at the same time.

2. Can you be more precise? What was he doing when what?

Shortly after the CG watched him talking with K'rul and Mael in that cavern underneath the barrow.

Oh, on Gruntle:

Why did Trake send Gruntle to fight Kilava? I'm sure it was sort of explained somewhere but damned if I know where.

Hipster Occultist fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Apr 10, 2013

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Oh, on Gruntle:

Why did Trake send Gruntle to fight Kilava? I'm sure it was sort of explained somewhere but damned if I know where.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Trake actually wanted Gruntle to help Kilava stop the dragons. Gruntle was just so sick of being manipulated that he decided to screw up the plan and try to get Trake killed.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

He was pretty disgruntled about the whole situation.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Juaguocio posted:

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Trake actually wanted Gruntle to help Kilava stop the dragons. Gruntle was just so sick of being manipulated that he decided to screw up the plan and try to get Trake killed.

Yeah but Kilava had no intention of stopping said Dragons, she mentioned earlier that she wasn't even going to try. So why attack her at all? Erikson! :argh:

wallaka posted:

He was pretty disgruntled about the whole situation.

I bet you're real proud of that one buddy. :mad:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah but Kilava had no intention of stopping said Dragons, she mentioned earlier that she wasn't even going to try. So why attack her at all? Erikson! :argh:

Kilava was trying to stop Gruntle from killing Trake.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

Kilava was trying to stop Gruntle from killing Trake.

Oh yeah, I do remember something about that. He only goes along with Trake's plan to kill the dragons because then and there he can draw on enough of Trake's power to actually pull him into himself and then get eaten by a Dragon correct?

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just listened to an interview with Erikson about Forge of Darkness and realized I'd been pronouncing "Malazan" differently/wrong this whole time. This has been the most jarring twist of the series for me so far.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's not three syllables with equal cadence? :ohdear:

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Is this the interview you're talking about?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ayfTv0XuZg

He says it right at the beginning, I dunno how to do proper phonetic spelling but it sounds like ma-lahzen. Not at all how I thought it was pronounced, but that's coming straight from the horse's mouth.

I can't believe it. If I can't even get the title right, I'm sure I've been pronouncing pretty much everything wrong.

That interview's actually really good though, probably the best I've heard. Way better than the one with that Swedish guy who hasn't even read the books.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to continue reading/pronouncing it wrong because I've been doing it for so long. I also agree that I probably pronounce everything wrong

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

It sounds so fuckin weird, Mah-lazan does not roll off the tongue at all.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Y'all weren't kidding. Trying to say it that way is just strange. I'm just going to chalk it up to a weird Canadian pronunciation :colbert:

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Y'all weren't kidding. Trying to say it that way is just strange. I'm just going to chalk it up to a weird Canadian pronunciation :colbert:

Hey man I'm a Cannuck and as far as I know it's always been Mala-zan.

If you wanted it pronounced differently Erikson you should have spelled it that way. :colbert:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I was reading Dread Empire by Glen Cook and I encountered Mocker.
Given the influence Cook have had on Erikson, I would imagine Mocker served as the inspiration for Kruppe.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How is the ending of Toll the Hounds? I'm 71% through according to my kindle and I'm still what, if anything, its building to. Maybe its just because all the others have had a fairly standard format with the last quarter involving a battle of some kind and the different character views mostly leading into it but there are so many here and other than Karsa reaching Darujhistan and possibly being the tyrant that some people there are expecting I'm not really sure what the books overall plot has been unlike the others. If that makes any sense. Assuming of course that the entire book hasn't just essesntially been a setup for the last 2

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Scott Bakula posted:

How is the ending of Toll the Hounds? I'm 71% through according to my kindle and I'm still what, if anything, its building to. Maybe its just because all the others have had a fairly standard format with the last quarter involving a battle of some kind and the different character views mostly leading into it but there are so many here and other than Karsa reaching Darujhistan and possibly being the tyrant that some people there are expecting I'm not really sure what the books overall plot has been unlike the others. If that makes any sense. Assuming of course that the entire book hasn't just essesntially been a setup for the last 2

Oh man, Toll the Hounds may not be one of the best books overall, but that ending :tviv:
I won't spoil anything. The ending's totally worth it.

Edit: In regards to your spoiler, I believe Toll the Hounds takes place parallel to Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God. I could very easily be wrong though since Erikson never puts concrete dates on anything.

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 12, 2013

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well as I said there is not obvious ending for it so far. Its been the hardest book to get through though for various reasons. I just hope that Murillio stays dead, I just read his end, Karsa/Cutter/Rallick get their chance at Gorlas and for Kallor to get another chance to shine

Oh and Snell somehow learns his lesson. I feel bad for the fact he's easily the most unlikable character so far

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sexiest captain of the Enterprise: he does, and he does.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Thats open ended enough for me to enjoy how it finishes.

While I'm on Kallor, I always forget when things happen. Did his empire pre or post date the first empire? I'm sure it was before it but that doesn't really make any sense

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had somehow forgotten about (Toll the Hounds) Kallor's big scene. It is really well-handled and he is a very well-written character, but it isn't the biggest part of the finale and my mind completely glossed over it with everything else that goes on.

:downs:
I really need to get around to doing a reread of the series, it's been a while since The Crippled God came out.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

apophenium posted:

I just listened to an interview with Erikson about Forge of Darkness and realized I'd been pronouncing "Malazan" differently/wrong this whole time. This has been the most jarring twist of the series for me so far.
I'm listening to the old series of audiobooks, and there's been two readers so far. The first one had a certain pronunciation for stuff like "jaghut" that I got used to. The new one has a different one. "Jag-hut" vs. "Jag-hoot".

Likewise, I always called her "Tah-vore" in my head. But here it's "Tah-vor-ay" and it's tough to get used to. Likewise, for d'ivers, "deevers" versus "divers." At least we're blessed with a lot of main characters named after common household objects and adjectives...

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Safety Factor posted:

Edit: In regards to your spoiler, I believe Toll the Hounds takes place parallel to Dust of Dreams/The Crippled God. I could very easily be wrong though since Erikson never puts concrete dates on anything.

No it's before Dust of Dreams and The Cripped God, you aren't remembering that the event at the very end of Toll the Hounds allows a certain character to show up in the last two books.

VVVV yea youre right, the character I'm thinking of doesn't show up right away in Dust of Dreams.

PlushCow fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Apr 12, 2013

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
There's definitely a bit of overlap though. The end of Toll the Hounds roughly corresponds to the middle (maybe a little earlier) of Dust of Dreams.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

I'm listening to the old series of audiobooks, and there's been two readers so far. The first one had a certain pronunciation for stuff like "jaghut" that I got used to. The new one has a different one. "Jag-hut" vs. "Jag-hoot".

Likewise, I always called her "Tah-vore" in my head. But here it's "Tah-vor-ay" and it's tough to get used to. Likewise, for d'ivers, "deevers" versus "divers." At least we're blessed with a lot of main characters named after common household objects and adjectives...

For me its always been Jag-hut, D-iv-ers rather than Divers or any variant. Same as T-Lan-I-Mass. Its funny how where you're from totally changes how you pronounce words. Mala-Zan makes most sense to me but at the same time I feel its a bit like ga-rage or gar-age depending on if you're north or south England. Otataral is Ota-ta-ral in the same vein. What a terrible pun :shepface:

A bit like 45 seconds into this for the T'Lan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzAD2GLfaNU

Edit: I'm not sure why I've noticed, but Erikson has used gently caress a lot more often in Toll the Hounds.

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 13, 2013

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I absolutely love how tragic all the demonic summons are in the series. In a lot of games and other traditional fantasy style settings the demons are rarely portrayed as creatures stolen from another realm, with their own motivations. I hope there's a bigger focus on demons later on. There's probably enough stuff there to be the main focus of its own book.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Just finished Toll the Hounds and drat, that was some ending. I could have done without Toc coming back yet again. How many times can one character die. Who isn't Rhulad at least. I guess the Bridgeburners will get back together too. I'm really curious about the last 2 books since obviously the last one is the final show down with the crippled god, but I can't really think of what the next book could be about other than going back to the Bonehunters/Apsalar at least. Assail surely has to come up since Silverfox has gone there with the remaining Imass but leaving somewhere that played up until the last 2 books feels weird. I take it Jackuruku is left to the books about the Crimson Guard?

Is it explained later on why someone didn't go out and just kill the crippled god? I'm sure I remember reading in Reaper's Gale that the reason he didn't interfere too much with Silchas Ruin is because he wasn't strong enough to go up against Ruin if it came to that. If it is then I'm looking forward to reading it.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Scott Bakula posted:

Just finished Toll the Hounds and drat, that was some ending. I could have done without Toc coming back yet again. How many times can one character die. Who isn't Rhulad at least. I guess the Bridgeburners will get back together too. I'm really curious about the last 2 books since obviously the last one is the final show down with the crippled god, but I can't really think of what the next book could be about other than going back to the Bonehunters/Apsalar at least. Assail surely has to come up since Silverfox has gone there with the remaining Imass but leaving somewhere that played up until the last 2 books feels weird. I take it Jackuruku is left to the books about the Crimson Guard?

Is it explained later on why someone didn't go out and just kill the crippled god? I'm sure I remember reading in Reaper's Gale that the reason he didn't interfere too much with Silchas Ruin is because he wasn't strong enough to go up against Ruin if it came to that. If it is then I'm looking forward to reading it.

The last two novels are focused on the Letherii Continent and everyone over there, everything else you mention is in the Esslemont novels or will be, cant remember. Not every plotline is resolved, but you'll be happy with the last two novels; Dust of Dreams and The Crippled God are like Part 1 and Part 2 of the ending of the series. Dust of Dreams doesn't wrap up as cleanly as all the other novels and Erikson warned us beforehand that it's the only novel in the series that ends in a cliffhanger. It was so great, just thinking about it.

The last novel will answer your question about The Crippled God, so go and enjoy!

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

apophenium posted:

I absolutely love how tragic all the demonic summons are in the series. In a lot of games and other traditional fantasy style settings the demons are rarely portrayed as creatures stolen from another realm, with their own motivations. I hope there's a bigger focus on demons later on. There's probably enough stuff there to be the main focus of its own book.
Pearl caused me no end of hope/confusion for a couple books though. I kept thinking she'd been rezz'd into some assassin's body.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I'm looking to get back into this series after abandoning it midway through the second book. Could someone link me to a decent plot summary of the first book so I can get up to speed? I'd search myself but I don't want to stumble on any spoilers.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

snoremac posted:

I'm looking to get back into this series after abandoning it midway through the second book. Could someone link me to a decent plot summary of the first book so I can get up to speed? I'd search myself but I don't want to stumble on any spoilers.

It's not even important, just read Deadhouse Gates like it were the first book.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Scott Bakula posted:

Edit: I'm not sure why I've noticed, but Erikson has used gently caress a lot more often in Toll the Hounds.

Yeah? Well so have I. gently caress Clip. gently caress these emo rear end Andii. gently caress Snell. gently caress this book taking so long to get going.

Also, I have always pronounced Mah-lazan, accent on the first syllable. Maybe it's the native Russian speaker in me.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Cardiac posted:

So I was reading Dread Empire by Glen Cook and I encountered Mocker.
Given the influence Cook have had on Erikson, I would imagine Mocker served as the inspiration for Kruppe.

I also think there's some Dickens too:

quote:

Mr. Chadband is a large yellow man with a fat smile and a general appearance of having a good deal of train oil in his system. Mr. Chadband moves softly and cumbrously, not unlike a bear who has been taught to walk upright. He is very much embarrassed about the arms, as if they were inconvenient to him and he wanted to grovel, is very much in a perspiration about the head, and never speaks without first putting up his great hand, as delivering a token to his hearers that he is going to edify them.

“My friends,” says he, “what is this which we now behold as being spread before us? Refreshment. Do we need refreshment then, my friends? We do. And why do we need refreshment, my friends? Because we are but mortal, because we are but sinful, because we are but of the earth, because we are not of the air. Can we fly, my friends? We cannot. Why can we not fly, my friends?”

Mr. Snagsby, presuming on the success of his last point, ventures to observe in a cheerful and rather knowing tone, “No wings.” But is immediately frowned down by Mrs. Snagsby.

“I say, my friends,” pursues Mr. Chadband, utterly rejecting and obliterating Mr. Snagsby’s suggestion, “why can we not fly? Is it because we are calculated to walk? It is. Could we walk, my friends, without strength? We could not. What should we do without strength, my friends? Our legs would refuse to bear us, our knees would double up, our ankles would turn over, and we should come to the ground. Then from whence, my friends, in a human point of view, do we derive the strength that is necessary to our limbs? Is it,” says Chadband, glancing over the table, “from bread in various forms, from butter which is churned from the milk which is yielded unto us by the cow, from the eggs which are laid by the fowl, from ham, from tongue, from sausage, and from such like? It is. Then let us partake of the good things which are set before us!”

The persecutors denied that there was any particular gift in Mr. Chadband’s piling verbose flights of stairs, one upon another, after this fashion.

Compared to Kruppe:

quote:

The slippered foot probed daintily downward, wavering until it touched ground. A rather plump calf, knee and thigh followed. The short, round man who emerged was wearing silks of every colour, the effect one of clashing discord. A shimmering, crimson handkerchief was clutched in one pudgy hand, rising to dab a glittering forehead. Both feet finally on the ground, the Daru loosed a loud sigh. 'Burn's fiery heart, but it's hot!'

The short, round man blinked myopically, mopped his brow once again, then beamed a smile. 'Representative of the City of Darujhistan? Indeed! None better, Kruppe says, though he be a lowly citizen, a curious commoner come to cast kindly eyes upon this momentous occasion! Kruppe is suitably honoured by your formal, nay, respectful welcome - what vast display, Kruppe wonders, will you formidable warriors unveil when greeting the Council of Darujhistan's official representatives? The sheer escalation now imminent has Kruppe's heart all apatter with anticipation! Look on, to the south - the councillors' carriage even now approaches!'

Kruppe was the first to lower himself into a chair - at the head of the makeshift table. He held a tankard and a handful of Rhivi sweetcakes. 'Such rustic environs!' he sighed, round face flushed with pleasure. 'And traditional pastries of the plains to lure the palate. More, this ale is most delicious, perfectly cooled—'

He offered everyone a broad, crumb-flecked smile. 'But please, let us get under way lest this meeting stretch on, forcing the delivery of a sumptuous supper replete with the dryest of wines to whet the gullet and such a selection of sweets as to leave Kruppe groaning in fullest pleasure!'

Abalieno fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 16, 2013

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

snoremac posted:

The tor.com ReRead of the Fallen is really great for this sort of stuff. It might be a bit more in-depth than you're looking for, but if you just hit the summaries and then Amanda's comments you'll get everything you need. Bill's comments sometimes have a bit of spoiler for later books so avoid 'em if necessary.

They just got to Toll the Hounds after starting in 2010. :gonk:

NmareBfly fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 17, 2013

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
That's just the kind of thing I was after. I tried the Malazan Wiki but the plot summary was too broad. This is much better. Thanks.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

You really shouldn't care how anyone pronounces Malazan terms, every time Erikson's been asked he's stated it's however you want to. Also his are all wrong, creator be damned.

Oh, and Kallor's empire was concurrent with the First Empire, just formed slightly - 70 years or so slightly - afterwards. also lasting about a thousand times less long

HeroOfTheRevolution
Apr 26, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

You really shouldn't care how anyone pronounces Malazan terms, every time Erikson's been asked he's stated it's however you want to. Also his are all wrong, creator be damned.

Oh, and Kallor's empire was concurrent with the First Empire, just formed slightly - 70 years or so slightly - afterwards. also lasting about a thousand times less long

That's actually a surprisingly cool thing for Erikson to say. Usually he comes off kind of smug about his writing.

As for your spoiler... well, that's pre-Kharkanas trilogy. Who knows what the truth is, now.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Just wrapped up Midnight Tides. The reveals in the end of this one were some of the best yet. I think this is my favorite one since Deadhouse Gates. Really just blown away.

E. Is it worth it to read Night of Knives before Bonehunters? I'm probably going to read Night of Knives anyways, so it might make sense to go ahead and do that now. This guy recommends reading it before Bonehunters, since it introduces some characters who appear in Bonehunters. Still, I'm kind of conflicted. Has anyone read them in this order and can comment on it?

apophenium fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah if you're gonna go through them all anyway I recommend Night of Knives before Bonehunters.