Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I feel like Ghost Story taken in isolation is pretty lackluster but taken as a 3 book arc from Changes to Cold Days, it acts as a perfect interlude from the insanity that is the other two books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Xtanstic posted:

I feel like Ghost Story taken in isolation is pretty lackluster but taken as a 3 book arc from Changes to Cold Days, it acts as a perfect interlude from the insanity that is the other two books.

I hadn't thought about it that way but it does make sense.

MildShow
Jan 4, 2012

Xtanstic posted:

In fact, I'd go as far to say that it was meant as an interlude for the entire series - with the first half ending with Changes and the second half starting with Cold Days.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

gently caress yeah!

This is currently the best urban-fantasy series for my money.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Mr.48 posted:

gently caress yeah!

This is currently the best urban-fantasy series for my money.

I agree, but only because Daniel O'Malley has just one book published so far.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ornamented Death posted:

I agree, but only because Daniel O'Malley has just one book published so far.

A million times this.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

No US release announced yet :argh:

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

404GoonNotFound posted:

So get it from the Book Depository. That's what I plan to do.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Just finished The Rook . Wow. I'm upset that there isn't another I can start reading. Rook Thomas is my new favorite female protagonist, by far.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

cbservo posted:

Just finished The Rook . Wow. I'm upset that there isn't another I can start reading. Rook Thomas is my new favorite female protagonist, by far.

It's on my list for re-reading this summer. I'm currently reading Mira Grant's Feed and it's good enough that I'll read the sequel next instead of author-hopping.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

404GoonNotFound posted:

Amazon uk will ship to the US.

The Rook series is good but it's not in the same league as the Rivers of London books; if nothing else, Aaronovitch actually lives in London, so when there's a chase scene it goes down particular streets past particular shops, not just through a sort of mythical American's London where none of the streets or tube stops have names or histories.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
So I grabbed Greywalker on Saturday after the numerous recommendations in this thread and I burned right through it.
A slow burn for sure, but when it picks up, it really picks up.

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.
Just finished Libromancer, and while I liked it, but I the characters left me kinda flat. The main character was solid, but I wish he had someone more interesting to bounce off of.

I'm also just finished the 4th Greywalker as an audiobook and ouf, those are some really badly read english accents. I should have read that one rather than listened to it.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Brandon Sanderson just tweeted this:

Which means his next villain looks like this:

I, for one, find this terrifying.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

But he cut his hair!

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
I hope the villain has a confused looking small white dog too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Brandon Sanderson should just use himself if he really wanted to creep people out.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Like there aren't enough self-inserts in fantasy.

Lord_Pigeonbane
Nov 24, 2002

Just the ladies, now!
Yeah, but nobody inserts themselves as a villain! It's cutting edge!

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The Rook series is good but it's not in the same league as the Rivers of London books; if nothing else, Aaronovitch actually lives in London, so when there's a chase scene it goes down particular streets past particular shops, not just through a sort of mythical American's London where none of the streets or tube stops have names or histories.

A history lesson, just what I want in the middle of a chase scene :).

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Ornamented Death posted:

He's a former Doctor Who writer, what did you expect?

r0ff13c0p73r
Sep 6, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

Brandon Sanderson just tweeted this:

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/884/Suvudu-Cage-Match-How-It-REALLY-Went-Down

"Harry Dresden decides this is really all too much work, and wanders off to get himself something to drink. He gets beaten up seventeen times on his way, but saves two orphanages."

Watching and reading about Sanderson, Butcher, and Rothfuss interacting with each other just always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

r0ff13c0p73r posted:

Watching and reading about Sanderson, Butcher, and Rothfuss interacting with each other just always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

That's a fun interview!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's a fun interview!

Things with those guys aren't always fun and games though.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ornamented Death posted:

It's not just that. It's details like when there's a chase scene through an arcade, Peter Grant used to go to that arcade and he remembers his way around it and that matters. And if I go on google maps I can spot the building. It lets realism on multiple levels; it happens in a real place.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

It's a noir trope to have gritty details of real places in the writing, but urban fantasy as a genre seems split on how real they want their cities. If you've never been to London, having the tube stops and history is probably less important than if you live just outside the city to your sense of realism.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Anias posted:

It's a noir trope to have gritty details of real places in the writing, but urban fantasy as a genre seems split on how real they want their cities. If you've never been to London, having the tube stops and history is probably less important than if you live just outside the city to your sense of realism.

That's all part of it -- I like noir fiction and wish its influence on modern urban fantasy were even stronger, and I actually have spent a little over a month in London, though that was a while ago now.

Beyond all that, though, London is rather frequently featured in fantasy fiction these days; if you set a fantasy novel in London you're basically inviting a direct comparison with a lot of other really significant fantasy, from Neverwhere to Mieville's stuff, not to mention historical fantasy like Johnathan Strange and Mr. Norell or even other historical fiction I've read (Aubrey/Maturin) or general english-lit classics (i.e., about half of everything Dickens wrote).

Even with all those other depictions out there, Aaronovitch's London stands out. His characters have slightly different accents depending on which parts of London they're from. His ghosts speak in period appropriate London dialect. His Metropolitan Police follow procedure with as much detail and accuracy as if they'd stepped out of a British version of an Ed McBain novel.

As you say, part of this is a difference in genre. The Rook is building on spy thriller stuff, not noir, and noir values gritty, realistic setting and precisely accurate prose style in a way that spy thrillers typically don't. But I also think it makes Aaronovitch's stuff so far a "better" book, to the extent such comparisons even make sense. They're both great novels and I enjoyed them both.

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

I'm re-reading Cold Days and there's just one thing I don't completely get.

As I understand it, Nemesis wants the Demonreach prisoners to be freed, perhaps setting off armageddon. They are immortals, so even if they are vaporized by the failsafe they'd be back eventually.

So why does Nemesis strike at Demonreach on Halloween, the only day when immortals can be perma-killed?

Wouldn't the failsafe wipe them out forever if it were used on that day
?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Deadbeat posted:

As I understand it, Nemesis wants the Demonreach prisoners to be freed, perhaps setting off armageddon. They are immortals, so even if they are vaporized by the failsafe they'd be back eventually.

So why does Nemesis strike at Demonreach on Halloween, the only day when immortals can be perma-killed?

?

It's because it's all ultimately a trap to destroy Mab. Demonreach itself wasn't that important, beyond the potential of completely loving over White Council and other anti-Outsider organizations for the immediate future. Basically, if Mab doesn't respond, that causes chaos in the world that Nemesis and its agents can use. It also discredits her because her daughter engineered the destruction of Demonreach. If she does, then they can take a shot at killing her.

The gods sealed within may not work according to the same rules as beings like Mab too. They might not be immortal via mantle, but due to something more intrinsic, and thus Halloween might not kill them. Time fuckery is also involved, it must be remembered, so the attack might actually land once the day is over. That's just speculation though.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

NinjaDebugger posted:

And this is a pretty well executed one, and I rather liked a master planner planning for her own amnesia.
Having read the whole thing, I definitely agree that the amnesia plot was very well done, and Myfanwy was probably the best written female lead I've read in urban fantasy. I think a lot of it is that I'm jaded as gently caress, and not knowing how everything falls together, the opening felt kind of...pretentious and a little up it's own rear end even, like something you'd see in a Tom Cruise film. I'm glad I soldiered on, and the setup really does pan out, but I can definitely understand why a lot of people had a hard time getting through the first few chapters.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Verloc posted:

Having read the whole thing, I definitely agree that the amnesia plot was very well done, and Myfanwy was probably the best written female lead I've read in urban fantasy.

But which Myfanwy? :tinfoil:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deadbeat posted:

?

I'm guessing this is a Thief of Time scenario.

These horrible evil beasts are going to ride out at Armageddon, yes, but nobody ever specified which side.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Deadbeat posted:

?

Just because they're very evil things doesn't mean they're corrupted by nemesis, right? There are probably any number of evil nasty things that would still oppose the outsiders because they like the current system more than whatever the outsiders would implement.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe
drat, I just finished Greywalker: Poltergeist and my library (I "take out" ebooks from my library... I love my Kindle) and I just found out Underground is already out. This person needs to bloody well hurry up and finish it. :argh:

VVVV - The Rook (The Checquy Files #1)

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 11, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

404GoonNotFound posted:

But which Myfanwy? :tinfoil:

I have a cousin named Myfanwy. :stare:

Which book is this, again? So many have been floating around, it's hard to keep track. :shobon:

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Saith posted:

Which book is this, again? So many have been floating around, it's hard to keep track. :shobon:

The Rook.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Saith posted:

Does she pronounce it "Miffany"?

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Saith posted:

The Rook

gently caress: Beaten

^^ I actually looked up the proper pronunciation before the character explained it wasn't pronounced like that, I spent the rest of the book pronouncing it correctly to spite her.

oh no blimp issue fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 11, 2013

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!

Mr.48 posted:

The Rook.

Thanks. :)

404GoonNotFound posted:

Does she pronounce it "Miffany"?

It's Muh-Von-Wee, but I'll have to call her that. :v:

e: Oh it's a joke.

Saith fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Saith posted:

It's Mih-Von-Wee, but I'll have to call her that. :v:

e: Oh it's a joke.

No, that's how Myfanwy (both of her) pronounces it in the book.
She's... not very Welsh.

• Locked thread