Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sarchasm posted:

That synopsis sounds incredibly familiar. Is Teddy Bear adapted from something?

I dont think so. The actor Kim Kold is an actual body builder with very few other film appearances. Teddy Bear is based on a short film from the same director and actor called Dennis, which is the same main character in Teddy Bear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

axleblaze posted:

The thing is in the movie they never really indicate that they actually felt the arguments were disturbing them. It could only be heard through one of bedroom walls and even then it was really muffled (to the point that when they recorded it they put the mics right outside the guys house).

Even if this wasn't the case, the fact that someone is obnoxious doesn't make it right to exploit them.

Also, even if the guys were the world's most obnoxious neighbors (which they might have been) they still come off much better than everyone else in the film.

I agree with you on pretty much all points, except to say that people acting like obnoxious animals at any given hour of the day just plain goddamn sucks, and no one should have to deal with it even if they find it entertaining more often than not.

I hated everyone in that movie, the idiots trying to make money off of the lunatics most of all. They're just scummy. I just have zero sympathy, due to personal experience, with the people being exploited. I think we agree more than disagree, I just cannot feel bad for the plights of anyone showcased therein.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Hitch posted:

Why not? It's got all the original cast and crew and Netflix has been putting up easter eggs right and left for the past few months. It's great writing and good replay value in the episodes due to the jokes being so content heavy..what with foreshadowing and self-reference jokes.

I'm not getting my hopes up because I don't want to be disappointed. There is a ton of good poo poo coming out right now that I really don't need Arrested Development to come back.

I watched Delocated last night and it is hilarious. The premise is that a family in the witness protection program gets a reality show so they have to wear ski masks all the time to disguise their identity. The actual show diverges from that quite a bit.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

foodfight posted:

I'm not getting my hopes up because I don't want to be disappointed. There is a ton of good poo poo coming out right now that I really don't need Arrested Development to come back.

I watched Delocated last night and it is hilarious. The premise is that a family in the witness protection program gets a reality show so they have to wear ski masks all the time to disguise their identity. The actual show diverges from that quite a bit.

It diverges in plot, yes, but one of the funniest things to me is that Jon always has the ski mask and always has the voice.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

big business sloth posted:

It diverges in plot, yes, but one of the funniest things to me is that Jon always has the ski mask and always has the voice.

The baby lullaby cd is great.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I'm living alone for the next month and a half, and figured I'd make use of the free month Netflix is offering as a trial to fill up the silence in my apartment. The infuriating thing, though, is that Netflix doesn't subtitle a lot of its animated shows, like Archer, which everyone tells me is really funny. I'm hearing-impaired, so subtitles are pretty much a necessity. Apparently the company committed to subtitling seventy percent of its offerings by the end of 2011, but it doesn't seem like they've managed it. Do you guys have any suggestions for subtitled comedies or documentaries to watch?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pinball posted:

I'm living alone for the next month and a half, and figured I'd make use of the free month Netflix is offering as a trial to fill up the silence in my apartment. The infuriating thing, though, is that Netflix doesn't subtitle a lot of its animated shows, like Archer, which everyone tells me is really funny. I'm hearing-impaired, so subtitles are pretty much a necessity. Apparently the company committed to subtitling seventy percent of its offerings by the end of 2011, but it doesn't seem like they've managed it. Do you guys have any suggestions for subtitled comedies or documentaries to watch?

Archer is subtitled. I'm watching it with subtitles on right now.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

That's so strange! I don't even have the option, and they're not listed on the show's profile for me. It's like they don't exist. Is it possible that it's because I'm living in Ireland at the moment?

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Pinball posted:

That's so strange! I don't even have the option, and they're not listed on the show's profile for me. It's like they don't exist. Is it possible that it's because I'm living in Ireland at the moment?

Yeah after I posted that I wondered where you were living. I'm in the US and can't even remember the last thing I watched where I didn't have subtitles as an option. It's weird that it would be different but that's the only thing I can think of.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

It could also be the device you're using - it seems like most blu ray players I've seen with integrated Netflix don't do subtitles, while game consoles and PCs do.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
My older Roku doesn't allow for subtitles and it's infuriating. Riki-Oh, for example, is only available in Cantonese and subs aren't burned into the image. I have absolutely no way of following the brilliant and subtle dialogue of Riki-Oh!

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

I ended up talking to customer support and they said that Netflix in Ireland doesn't have subtitles for a lot of their media. Pretty lovely all around, especially since so many things are subbed in the US, and I don't understand
why it's so difficult to export those subs to other nations. For all that the US media can be irritating when it comes to accessibility for the hearing-impaired, it seems they do better than some Western European nations.

Is Riki-Oh the movie where somebody strangles a man with his own intestines?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pinball posted:

Is Riki-Oh the movie where somebody strangles a man with his own intestines?

And how!

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Baron von Eevl posted:

My older Roku doesn't allow for subtitles and it's infuriating. Riki-Oh, for example, is only available in Cantonese and subs aren't burned into the image. I have absolutely no way of following the brilliant and subtle dialogue of Riki-Oh!

Yeah, that annoyed me too because you plain can't watch some content on older Rokus for that reason.

I just bought the newest Roku and it is a pretty big improvement, though. Things load waaaaay faster with no change in our internet speed.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, that annoyed me too because you plain can't watch some content on older Rokus for that reason.

I just bought the newest Roku and it is a pretty big improvement, though. Things load waaaaay faster with no change in our internet speed.

Man, I might just have to invest in a new one; the lack of subtitles does infuriate me on occasion on my older Roku.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Hewlett posted:

Man, I might just have to invest in a new one; the lack of subtitles does infuriate me on occasion on my older Roku.

It has some cool features, like the ability to search all your channels at once. It's not huge but there is several noticeable improvements. Also HBO Go was horribly slow on my old roku and on the new one it works fine.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched Riki-Oh without subtitles because at the time I didn't know how to enable them on an Apple TV :frogbon:
I'm not sure I missed much.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

DeimosRising posted:

That might actually improve it since you don't have to hear everyone screaming at each other constantly.

Jummy
Jun 14, 2007

Oh, my love, my darling.

Pinball posted:

I ended up talking to customer support and they said that Netflix in Ireland doesn't have subtitles for a lot of their media. Pretty lovely all around, especially since so many things are subbed in the US, and I don't understand
why it's so difficult to export those subs to other nations. For all that the US media can be irritating when it comes to accessibility for the hearing-impaired, it seems they do better than some Western European nations.

You can probably find a proxy to use US Netflix so you can get the subtitles. One of the Netflix threads talked about it and the mods seemed ok with it, so someone can probably help you get that setup.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

It has some cool features, like the ability to search all your channels at once. It's not huge but there is several noticeable improvements. Also HBO Go was horribly slow on my old roku and on the new one it works fine.

Sorry I know this is kind of a derail, but which Rokus are you guys actually talking about? I had the first one until a guest peed on it, since then I've been using the Roku 2 and I've been pretty satisfied, though I don't know why Hulu+ just has to suck on everything but the website. I like the Roku 3's brilliant idea of having a headphone port built into the remote but I've never actually seen one in action.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Manky posted:

Sorry I know this is kind of a derail, but which Rokus are you guys actually talking about? I had the first one until a guest peed on it, since then I've been using the Roku 2 and I've been pretty satisfied, though I don't know why Hulu+ just has to suck on everything but the website. I like the Roku 3's brilliant idea of having a headphone port built into the remote but I've never actually seen one in action.

I have the Roku 3. The headphone jack is cool and works well. Also the box itself is TINY.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

david_a posted:

I watched Riki-Oh without subtitles because at the time I didn't know how to enable them on an Apple TV :frogbon:
I'm not sure I missed much.

You missed out on the dub, which is so cheesy and obviously done by, like, one guy that it only adds to the hilarity. I don't think it's available on Netflix though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LivrzkKJTPY

"You got a lot of guts, Oscar! :thumbsup:" is one of the greatest lines ever.

...of SCIENCE! fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 11, 2013

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
But a dub isn't subtitles?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

Erebus posted:

That might actually improve it since you don't have to hear everyone screaming at each other constantly.

No no, that's Always Sunny.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Has anyone used the service 'unblock-us.com?' to get a new VPN number so that they can access US content from outside the US, and if so, is it worth it? I've done a little researching on setting up Netflix proxies, but I find the process confusing and I don't have a U.S. server to use as my computer's location. If there's an tutorial for idiots on how to set this sort of thing up, I'd be very grateful.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Pinball posted:

Has anyone used the service 'unblock-us.com?' to get a new VPN number so that they can access US content from outside the US, and if so, is it worth it? I've done a little researching on setting up Netflix proxies, but I find the process confusing and I don't have a U.S. server to use as my computer's location. If there's an tutorial for idiots on how to set this sort of thing up, I'd be very grateful.

Yes I use it (I'm in Canada) and it is really easy to set up. Basically you set your DNS servers to the ones it gives you, and then on their website you can set via a pulldown what location it will look like you're coming from. Super easy. I think they have a 2 week free trial so you can try it out.

They have howtos for pretty much any device (Windows/OSX/Linux/iOS/routers/appleTV etc) that are pretty easy to follow, not much involved.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Pinball posted:

I use it in Canada and it's fine. It's really easy to set up, and the 'how to set up' pages on their site cover a lot of different scenarios. I'm sure you've looked at it by now, but just in case you can see them here. Once you're set up all you have to do is go to the Unblock-Us site and there is a drop down to select which region you want your Netflix to be (I keep meaning to check out other regions but have never got around to it).

Oddly I lose access to my Instant Queue when I switch to a non-Canada region.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Unblock-us is great. The only issue is if you rent movies from the PSN store, you can't download them unless you turn off that DNS Server stuff. Not quite sure why.

ChetReckless posted:

(I keep meaning to check out other regions but have never got around to it).
UK actually has quite a few movies and TV shows not on US or Canada. The other regions aren't really worth spending much time on. At best you'll get a few occasions of "Oh hey, here's a movie not on the US one that I wanted to check out.....Oh, actually it's dubbed in Spanish so never mind."

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Are there any decent websites that collect all the different Netflix regions and allow you to filter by region?

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
Does anyone know why Justice Leage, Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond are on Netflix but not Superman and Batman: The Animated Series? Just seems weird that those shows would be on Netflix and the other two aren't

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DoYouHasaRabbit posted:

Does anyone know why Justice Leage, Justice League Unlimited and Batman Beyond are on Netflix but not Superman and Batman: The Animated Series? Just seems weird that those shows would be on Netflix and the other two aren't

The ones that got added originally aired on Cartoon Network and got added when the CN deal went through. The ones that didn't get added never aired on CN (Batman aired on Fox and the WB, Superman just on the WB)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ChetReckless posted:

Oddly I lose access to my Instant Queue when I switch to a non-Canada region.

European (or at least Scandinavian) Netflix doesn't have an instant queue actually. The US one should though.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

axleblaze posted:

The ones that got added originally aired on Cartoon Network and got added when the CN deal went through. The ones that didn't get added never aired on CN (Batman aired on Fox and the WB, Superman just on the WB)

I'm pretty sure (and Wikipedia confirms this) that Batman Beyond originally aired on the WB. I assumed Batman and Superman weren't part of the deal since they're currently on The Hub.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

Party Plane Jones posted:

European (or at least Scandinavian) Netflix doesn't have an instant queue actually. The US one should though.

Not even with US Netflix for me. Not through my browser, PS3, etc. It's not really a big deal, just strange.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Evil Vin posted:

I'm pretty sure (and Wikipedia confirms this) that Batman Beyond originally aired on the WB. I assumed Batman and Superman weren't part of the deal since they're currently on The Hub.
Batman Beyond is on The Hub too.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
I think my favorite trivia about Batman Beyond was that it was planned to be way lighter in tone from the original Batman animated series and somehow ended up being even darker than that show, ending with the movie having to be censored from having the Joker got shot in the god drat chest on screen.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

ChetReckless posted:

Are there any decent websites that collect all the different Netflix regions and allow you to filter by region?
I'm not a fan of it's design which makes just browsing almost impossible, but [url=http://www.moreflicks.com/]More Flicks lets you search for titles in all regions, then when you go into a title and hit the Netflix button, it will show you which regions it's available on.

ChetReckless posted:

Not even with US Netflix for me. Not through my browser, PS3, etc. It's not really a big deal, just strange.
I think it has to do with the way the region selector works. Netflix has a "travel mode" that gives you access to the catalogue of a country when you are in it, so I'm assuming that how the region selector is tricking it, so they just don't give you a queue for anything but your home region. Because I signed up for a US account and I don't have a queue for Canada.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib

SRM posted:

Batman Beyond is on The Hub too.

Ok then I have no idea.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Has there been any early word on Hemlock Grove yet? I really don't know what to make of it.

I just wanna know if it has actual werewolves in it or of it's a dumb red herring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogenes Ex
Feb 4, 2011

by T. Finninho

Hakkesshu posted:

Has there been any early word on Hemlock Grove yet? I really don't know what to make of it.

I just wanna know if it has actual werewolves in it or of it's a dumb red herring.

I originally thought it was just a movie, but apparently it's a series?

• Locked thread