Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Maybe you can find an Epiphone Century and put a P90 on the neck?

/edit: welp, those aren't in production anymore either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
The Loar makes one pretty similar
http://www.theloar.com/products/archtop-guitars/archtop-acoustic-lh-309-vs

I have no experience with their guitars, just saw an ad somewhere

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Final edit: so looks like he had a vintage Gibson ES-125. And, yep, I can't afford one. Gaze on its beauty.

I have wanted one for a while but yeah pricey as hell.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Does anyone find that 20 amp outlets make guitars hum much worse than 15 amp? In my studio we have all 20 amp circuits and there my guitar has a noticeable 60 cycle hum that I don't get at home. It makes recording overdriven guitar parts impossible.

Am I making this up? Could there be something I'm over looking?

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

HollisBrown posted:

Does anyone find that 20 amp outlets make guitars hum much worse than 15 amp? In my studio we have all 20 amp circuits and there my guitar has a noticeable 60 cycle hum that I don't get at home. It makes recording overdriven guitar parts impossible.

Does it happen with other guitars? You'd think a studio would have stellar wiring to prevent just such things from happening

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

HollisBrown posted:

How close is the nearest large power transformer? 5A of difference isn't going to cause that much EMI in regular usage because the inductance of your amps and mics is usually pretty low. But then again EM fields are pretty much magic so that buzz is going to be tough to pinpoint, it very well could just be that the power quality at your studio is more inductive than at your home.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Nigel Tufnel posted:

I saw someone playing an amazing looking Gibson at an open mic last night but I can't find it anywhere.

It was a hollow or semi-hollow with no cut away on either side. Body shape was a lot like this Gretsch. It had 2 F-holes, no pick guard and 2 or 3 (but not 4) volume/tone pots. One P90 in the neck (I think). It looked vintage but who knows? Anyone got any ideas?

A company called "The Loar" makes one that is very nice and made to exact specs from instruments made by Gibson in the '40's and '50's. I've had the pleasure of trying out an acoustic archtop that they made and it was exquisite.

Godin also makes one that is very nice to play, but it isn't made to exact specs like The Loar guitars are. They are called 5th Avenue Kingpins, I think.

Mradyfist
Sep 3, 2007

People that can eat people are the luckiest people in the world
I've got this acoustic guitar, an Ovation CC48. I bought it partially because I liked the sound of it, and partially because I was planning on bringing it to an extremely dry climate and I was hoping that it would have less issues there due to the plastic components.

I've been keeping it out in essentially 0% humidity for a few months now, and it seemed like it might be having some intonation issues due to the environment so I decided to start keeping it in a case with an improvised humidifier in it (just a wet cloth, that's all I have at my disposal). I think I've gone too far though, after keeping it humidified for a few days the action is totally messed up. It's low enough that if I bar a chord around the 5th fret it's just a mess of fret buzzing now. Does this make sense? I kinda thought that more humidity would make the neck more pliable and you'd end up with higher action as it curves in with the strings, but apparently the opposite happened here. I also thought that more humidity was always good for instruments, which I've now learned is definitely not the case.

Also, what are my options for fixing this? I have money to spend on repairs in the future, but I can't get it to a shop for the next ~6 months and it would be nice to have it more playable in the short term without doing something that would jeopardize getting it repaired properly later.

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I bought a Tremol-No the other day and it works great. My concern is, though, that the Deep C thing doesn't seem so tight, so I'm worried that if I drop D and accidentally press a good bit down on the bridge that it'll slide and gently caress up my tuning. Anyone got any ideas for making it more stable?

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party
I'm thinking about getting into seven or eight string guitars. I've never played either (even to try out), I'm not a huge metal guy, and I recognize that this may be crazy (I really want it for the extended range--an extra octave would be amazing). What do I need to do before I go down this terrible expensive path?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It doesn't have to be that expensive, really. Unless, like, all you play is used Squiers. I'd say the biggest thing to remember with sevens is that it's just a guitar. A guitar with one more string, but still a guitar.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Also the scale lengths are slightly longer. Because of this and the extra string they feel weird to me and I can't fuckin stand them. But I'm opinionated as gently caress on a lot of things and hate drop-d, coated strings, and extra string guitars to say the least. If you're looking for a 7 string for the extra range go for it, I think they sound really muddy but it seems like you won't notice a huge difference because you're not playing metal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Francostein posted:

Also the scale lengths are slightly longer. Because of this and the extra string they feel weird to me and I can't fuckin stand them. But I'm opinionated as gently caress on a lot of things and hate drop-d, coated strings, and extra string guitars to say the least. If you're looking for a 7 string for the extra range go for it, I think they sound really muddy but it seems like you won't notice a huge difference because you're not playing metal.

This is me 100%. I have a really nice 7 string and a great 8 string and they're both really just kind of annoying to me. Even a long scale will give you mud unless you manage to have a flawless setup, and the bigger strings sound lovely and boomy past the tenth or so fret no matter what. If you REALLY want the extra range per position then go for it but as someone who went through a huge extended range/prog/djent phase, just no. The reality is that you won't really get a very handy extended range but just more ways to play chords and and an easier path to extend runs across the fretboard. I'm all about consistent sounding instruments across every fret and the 4 string bass / 6 string guitar combo is really perfect. Try them out before you buy and make sure it's something you really want.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

7 and 8 strings are pretty neat and it'd be interesting to hear them in a non-Djenty or Deftones situation.

It takes a lot of getting used to. I just use baritones for my adventures in rumblyness, but to each his own.

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007

Declan MacManus posted:

7 and 8 strings are pretty neat and it'd be interesting to hear them in a non-Djenty or Deftones situation.
7-strings show up in jazz sometimes. George Van Eps, Bucky and John Pizzarelli, Howard Alden. 8-strings are less common, but there's Charlie Hunter at least.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Charlie Hunter's instrument has eight strings, but I don't think you're going to find one in the shops. It's a five-string guitar and a three-string bass on the same neck with separate pickups and outputs

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Well, yeah. (Not gonna find many 7-string archtops in shops, either. Not gonna find many archtops period in shops, really. But yeah, you'll still find more than zero.)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Yeah when I was typing that I realised it didn't really work, but I went with it anyway drat it!

I was just worried someone was going to come back and say 'oh Charlie gave that up and now he uses a normal 8 string with EMGs'

Pyrthas
Jan 22, 2007
Haha, well, I guess the broader lesson is still that if you're looking for extended range guitars in anything other than metal, you're not looking at guitars you can approximate for $600 from a shop. (Unless we're both surprised and he's using EMGs now...)

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Pyrthas posted:

Haha, well, I guess the broader lesson is still that if you're looking for extended range guitars in anything other than metal, you're not looking at guitars you can approximate for $600 from a shop. (Unless we're both surprised and he's using EMGs now...)

You can use EMGs in non-metal genres...
There's nothing inherently "metal" about the widely available ERGs except looks

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TopherCStone posted:

You can use EMGs in non-metal genres...

Two of their earliest endorsees were David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler. The flat frequency response thing was all over 80s adult contemporary.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

watt par posted:

Two of their earliest endorsees were David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler. The flat frequency response thing was all over 80s adult contemporary.
poo poo, I thought that was the introduction of the compressor pedal.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Remulak posted:

poo poo, I thought that was the introduction of the compressor pedal.

It's both! (DynaComp makes me think of Belew though which is not quite adult contemporary)

I don't mind EMG single coils but I kind of hate the humbuckers and I could not tell you why.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I have an old-rear end Yamaha neckthru with some EMGs (HSS setup). Sadly, they aren't the sweet ones with four wires, just hot, ground and power, but they sound amazing and that guitar just gets this great piano tone with overtones everywhere. Definitely not just metal pickups.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Washburn has EMGs in their new thinline hollowbody and it is smoooooooth.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't mind EMG single coils but I kind of hate the humbuckers and I could not tell you why.

Because they make everything sound like an EMG humbucker. Slap 'em on a 2x4 and it'll sound like EMGs.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

watt par posted:

Because they make everything sound like an EMG humbucker. Slap 'em on a 2x4 and it'll sound like EMGs.

When I realized this and started playing passive instruments it felt like someone took a blanket off of my equipment. Actives and EMGs have a place no doubt but they're so boring if you ask me.

It's kind of scary how much I've changed since my metal days when it comes to the way I like to form my tone.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Washburn has EMGs in their new thinline hollowbody and it is smoooooooth.

Do you have any clips? I want to believe (also I'm always up for hearing new ways to use pickups)

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Declan MacManus posted:

Do you have any clips? I want to believe (also I'm always up for hearing new ways to use pickups)

https://www.youtube.com/user/GuitarfetishTV

... okay, well, it's their new actives. And some pedals. They're really cranking these out.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
EMG 89r and 81TW sound pretty good even in full humbucker mode, it's probably my imagination but they sound a lot better than the regular 81/85 even though they're supposed to be identical except for the option to do coil splitting.

I'd take the H4 set over either though, passive version with wiring available for coil split and about £20 cheaper per pup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDqEfXbXkUk

Similar subject, anyone able to suggest a UK/EU retailer for quality push/pull pots? My local stores are being less than helpful for orders <£50.

Zen Punk
Dec 26, 2005

interfaced
Is there any way to set a default save folder for recording in Amplitube? When I hit that record button, I want to play and record, not dig from the absolute top level of my directory structure every single time.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Professor Science posted:

I'm thinking about getting into seven or eight string guitars. I've never played either (even to try out), I'm not a huge metal guy, and I recognize that this may be crazy (I really want it for the extended range--an extra octave would be amazing). What do I need to do before I go down this terrible expensive path?

You should probably do what I did and go to Rondo and get a $175 Grendel. I got the 725 NAT earlier this week and after finally having time this morning to dick around on it, I was going to come post about it anyway. It's a good guitar! The frets came dressed, the natural finish is pretty (natural finish + neck without inlays = success), it came with good enough intonation and action that I could just start playing it. The neck is fat and wide and reminds me of playing 5-string bass and just like it you adjust in time.

By the way, I also had never played a seven string before and I also have very little interest in playing metal.

The downsides of that cheap guitar: one of the knobs was drilled and placed off-center from its indentation, the neck pocket has a little space showing around the edges, and the pickups are some woeful humbuckers. That said, it's fun to play even though I'm more clueless than usual.

Oh, nuts, GFS doesn't make pickups for seven stringers do they?

Manky fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Apr 14, 2013

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

Manky posted:

You should probably do what I did and go to Rondo and get a $175 Grendel. I got the 725 NAT earlier this week and after finally having time this morning to dick around on it, I was going to come post about it anyway. It's a good guitar! The frets came dressed, the natural finish is pretty (natural finish + neck without inlays = success), it came with good enough intonation and action that I could just start playing it. The neck is fat and wide and reminds me of playing 5-string bass and just like it you adjust in time.

By the way, I also had never played a seven string before and I also have very little interest in playing metal.

The downsides of that cheap guitar: one of the knobs was drilled and placed off-center from its indentation, the neck pocket has a little space showing around the edges, and the pickups are some woeful humbuckers. That said, it's fun to play even though I'm more clueless than usual.

Yeah, cheap pickups are hard to come by for ERGs. You might try giving Bill at Wilde Pickups a call; he does great work and he's been known to do some one-off or nonstandard designs for people at a pretty reasonable price. He might need measurements of the pickups but I bet he'll hook you up

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Manky posted:

I'm curious to see what would happen if you put a standard blade pickup under a seven string. Think it would work?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
It'd work fine if it was wide enough. That's the problem though, not really wide enough.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the tip Topher, if I look to get something custom I'll look him up.

I also thought about getting a blade but I think you'd either lose one string or half of two. Guess it's time to dial up the fuzz...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
GFS pickups are just rebranded Artecs, who make a 7-string pickup. They're like $20 on ebay.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ugh. The problem with a twelve-string (especially one that needs bridgework, like mine) is that by the time you're done tuning the drat thing, you're basically ready to put it down again.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
GFS are not rebranded Artecs. We've had someone in this thread go over the difference.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/78-string/8_string_pegasu/
On the other hand, not cheap, but hey, look what we have here.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/electric/humbucker/78-string/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Huh, I didn't know that about Artecs.

I bought an Entwhistle Dark Star 7 for the bridge and unless someone can tell me it's a bad idea, I'm going to put this Seymour-Duncan single coil in the neck.