Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The same can be said about Amnesia or White Day any horror game LP'ed by lovely youtubers although that Slender game blew up practically overnight. If you've spoiled yourself on it then you probably won't like it, pure and simple. I enjoyed the original freeware game for what it tried to be but I'm not interested in putting down $8 on a game that's apparently an hour long. It's not about the fans, or terrible facecams, it just doesn't sound like a good dollar-to-entertainment ratio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I agree with that.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

WASDF posted:

No, what I'm saying is that the people hear the hype and go in two directions:

A) They psyche themselves up, expect to be scared and are put on edge by their own imagination.

B) They are grumpy and bitter and go in not wanting to have fun because of it's obnoxious fans and don't let themselves be scared.
If you self hype yourself up to be scared, you will get scared. This has nothing to do with how the game is designed though, which is why I was confused by your "game based on hype" comment.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

The only reason a sequel was made was because of the hype. People stoking themselves up to be terrified because of hype. People play a pretty simple game and are spooked even more because they were stoked on the hype.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

WASDF posted:

The only reason a sequel was made was because of the hype. People stoking themselves up to be terrified because of hype. People play a pretty simple game and are spooked even more because they were stoked on the hype.

I will say that Amnesia was hype AND shitloads of great execution. gently caress that game and it's ability to make me crap myself.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Does anyone actually have an honest to god trip report on Slender, though? I thought the freeware game was kinda dumb, but they had me at Victor Surge being involved. I liked Marble Hornets for a while, too v:v:v

edit: gently caress, it's at two stars on GoG. Same as Master of Orion 3 :stare:

Bovineicide fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 10, 2013

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I enjoyed it, but, it's fundamentally the free one with a couple additional levels. It's just too drat short. I hate splitting hairs and constructing cheeseburger-playtime utilitarian spreadsheets but 7.50 is too much for what you're getting

edit: Like, I love the opening level. Sunny woods to the dark house where bad poo poo has gone down, reading the notes and you just know that fucker is out there watching you. But then it's over, and there's no reason to ever play it again. The other levels shuffle around the pieces but it's just changing the order you grab things

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 10, 2013

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Bovineicide posted:

Does anyone actually have an honest to god trip report on Slender, though? I thought the freeware game was kinda dumb, but they had me at Victor Surge being involved. I liked Marble Hornets for a while, too v:v:v

edit: gently caress, it's at two stars on GoG. Same as Master of Orion 3 :stare:

I certainly wouldn't drop more than a couple of bucks on a game that's maybe an hour long but this is pretty viscous. Maybe the lovefest is gone for these types of horror games.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.

Testekill posted:

I certainly wouldn't drop more than a couple of bucks on a game that's maybe an hour long but this is pretty viscous. Maybe the lovefest is gone for these types of horror games.

It looks like most of the complaints are about the length and the content than the genre. They literally slapped a "collect eight pages" level in there. That's kinda sad, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised since it's basically a goon project.

gently caress, I need the new Amnesia soon.

jvempire
May 10, 2009

WASDF posted:

Any game can have hype surrounding it, but the hype isn't actually part of the game. You should look at a game by whats in the game not the BS surrounding it as it will artificially alter your enjoyment (either good or bad) of it. You can't praise Slender because it has hype, the same reason you can't praise Halo 4 because Master Chief is on a Mountain Dew can.

I do feel bad though since the hype (not just slender, but slenderman in general has been run into the ground) has killed it for me. I'll probably have to wait a while until I can look at Slender: The Arrival on its own. I also assume most of the negativity from it being on GoG stems from people being sick and tired of slenderman as well.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

I'm not looking at Slender from an objective standpoint. It's simply an interesting phenomenon. If I wanted to look at it objectively I'd say it's contrived and boring.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

maev posted:

How does System Shock 2 hold up these days? From the perspective of someone who would be going into it new and without nostalgia.

I bought back when it came out and got 80% of the way through before stalling out.

I just played through again from start to finish with a bunch of mods (check out the SS2 thread for links) and it's brilliant. Way ahead of its time, and still creepy as hell.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
How easy/hard is it to find NWN 1/2 multiplayer games now that the servers have been taken down and you have to put in the addresses of host servers yourself?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

BiggerJ posted:

How easy/hard is it to find NWN 1/2 multiplayer games now that the servers have been taken down and you have to put in the addresses of host servers yourself?

All the main servers just post that stuff on their website.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Anyone know if you can edit configs or something to get NWN2's camera to pull out more? The default maximum distance doesn't really let you see anything and is quite frustrating.

I also don't suppose there's a way of letting it auto-pause at round end?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
If anyone has any weird reason they can't/don't want to use GOG, or just has a shitload of those Blue Coin thingies to get rid of, System Shock 2 is up on GamersGate, still DRM free.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Primordia just went on sale for five bucks and I highly recommend it if you like point-and-clicks. It's a bit short, and most of the replayability is in the various endings which mostly are just dependent on the last like 30 seconds of what you do, but it's a very pretty game with a good atmosphere and story and it's worth a second playthrough to see a few things you can do differently. The voice acting can be a tad hit or miss especially with your quirky robot sidekick, but you can turn it off, though I recommend keeping it on and suffering through him because most of the other characters, the main character especially (who was voiced by the same guy as the narrator for Bastion), are great to listen to.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

GOG is having a sale on Dragon Commander. They also just streamed a Q&A session with Larian about that game (warning: mic problems in first few minutes of the video).

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Anyone know if you can edit configs or something to get NWN2's camera to pull out more? The default maximum distance doesn't really let you see anything and is quite frustrating.

I also don't suppose there's a way of letting it auto-pause at round end?

This bugged the hell out of me, too. Even with the resolution mods, none of the camera modes felt right to me. I don't have a solution for this, unfortunately.

Biggest gripe for me was how you couldn't turn off NPC AI without also loving up their pathfinding for some reason. I like manually moving and issuing orders for my party but the controls makes this harder than it should be. The game seems to expect you to have NPCs follow you as the default and only option because selecting and moving everybody as a group is broken (moving a group through a doorway becomes a Three Stooges routine, for instance) and trying to individually move people into position doesn't seem to register half of the time with follower AI off. If I could basically control my party like in the old Infinity engines, I'd actually finish the game.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
There was some deal for a whole boatload of D&D-based games on GOG and I bought it for reasons unknown, now I'm going to justify my purchase by playing all of them. Is there any order in which I should do this?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Geight posted:

There was some deal for a whole boatload of D&D-based games on GOG and I bought it for reasons unknown, now I'm going to justify my purchase by playing all of them. Is there any order in which I should do this?

You have months, or even a year worth of gameplay right there. If you want to play all of them I'd say that Icewind Dale 1-2 (they're more combat oriented), then Baldur's Gate 1-2, Planescape Torment and I'd leave Temple of Elemental Evil to the last because is what I feel that is closer to a pen&paper game. I'd go this order considering that I only played IWD 1-2, BG1 (yeah, i REALLY need to play 2) and Planescape. I only played a bit of ToEE but it really needs the Circle of Eight mod wich is a complete overhaul, but feels completely awesome once you get it working. Neverwinter games can be played in between the old 2d games without worrying much.

I can't speak for Dragonshard or Demon Stone because I never bothered to install them, despite owning them since the first D&D sale.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
That's a decent enough plan, but I foresee chronic Infinity Engine fatigue before you get to Baldur's gate 2 which is widely considered the best D&D game released (the BG2 thread is still going strong here).

I adore every single one of those games but there's no way you're going to do them all back to back. I'd probably recommend doing BG1+2 first and if you are in real need of more isometric D&D go on to Icewind Dale. Still, if the best you can do is complete any one of these games the purchase will have been worth it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I will say that I did back-to-back Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series but this was when I was in the Navy and on a 9-month deployment with a weekend's worth of shore leave every 2 months. I'd pace them out. We're talking about a year's worth of good games here.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I picked up NWN2 and a few others to round out my collection, and I have a quick question regarding party AI - how is it? I just finished the tutorial and left the starting village, but I'm not feeling I can trust the AI to handle companions in a relatively effective (or even sane) kind of way, so far it seems to send them charging halfway across the map to attack someone I can barely see, bypassing all other targets, and I can only imagine the spellcasting won't be much better. Will it do an alright job, or should I switch it off and do things manually? I don't mind micromanagement necessarily, I enjoyed the Baldur's Gate series just fine, but this interface seemed a bit clunkier for party micromanagement.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

There's a mod to improve NWN 2 Ai. grab it here

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lord Lambeth posted:

Ah, I managed to completely miss the actual thread for this kind of thing, thanks.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Primordia is 50% for the next 24 hours.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

ChikoDemono posted:

Primordia is 50% for the next 24 hours.

Looks good. How is it? I've been playing through the Lucas Arts games lately and would love something with a more modern interface.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

LLSix posted:

Looks good. How is it? I've been playing through the Lucas Arts games lately and would love something with a more modern interface.

It's probably the best post-LA adventure game I've played. At least it's in competition with Gemini Rue, also made by the same company.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Al! posted:

It's probably the best post-LA adventure game I've played. At least it's in competition with Gemini Rue, also made by the same company.

"Published", not "made" (common mistake)

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I'm having a blast with Clive Barkers Undying. Cant believe I missed this back in the day. I'm still in the start Manor, and haven't yet experienced the apparently bad sewer level.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
All bad sewer levels are created equal.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I don't think Undying has a sewer level. There's like a brief section and that's it. You do get an awful lot of catacombs, though.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Geight posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and then Torment.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

moot the hopple posted:

Biggest gripe for me was how you couldn't turn off NPC AI without also loving up their pathfinding for some reason. I like manually moving and issuing orders for my party but the controls makes this harder than it should be. The game seems to expect you to have NPCs follow you as the default and only option because selecting and moving everybody as a group is broken (moving a group through a doorway becomes a Three Stooges routine, for instance) and trying to individually move people into position doesn't seem to register half of the time with follower AI off. If I could basically control my party like in the old Infinity engines, I'd actually finish the game.

The thing that throws me is that there's no option for "don't follow." You either have the AI off, or you have it on and they follow you, and the game's idea of "far" is a few metres at best.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Thanks for the link.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

New releases:

Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor (2004) - $6

Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition (2003) - $10

This hasn't been a particularly great week for GOG releases when it comes to good games, especially after that Slender bullshit. GalCiv 1 is rather skippable when GalCiv II exists.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
After a month and a half of pretty great releases it was bound to happen.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Saoshyant posted:

New releases:

Nancy Drew: Curse of Blackmoor Manor (2004) - $6

Galactic Civilizations I: Ultimate Edition (2003) - $10

This hasn't been a particularly great week for GOG releases when it comes to good games, especially after that Slender bullshit. GalCiv 1 is rather skippable when GalCiv II exists.

10 bucks for GalCiv I is too much, ultimate edition or no.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Yeah, there's nothing about GalCiv1 that's not done better in 2. It's a straight upgrade.

Unlike Master of Orion 1&2, which are rather different games. I probably still play each one equally as often. I've actually played them quite a bit recently since they play nicely on Macs.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Now that GalCiv is on GOG, here's a blanket warning to avoid Stardock games in general because their CEO is a horrible human being who treats his office like it's his personal Libertarian Fiefdom.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 11, 2013