Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Just finished my Advanced Sommelier theory exam, with the service up tomorrow. Extremely difficult, doubt I passed even with a 60% threshold. I don't feel too bad though, very few people pass on their first attempt. I can email all the questions I remembered to any certified somms interested in taking the exam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

I'm loving nuts about Sauternes. Does anyone have any favorite brands for around $30 a half-bottle (or less)? I've only had a few types.

it's not a sauternes per se, but I'm a lifelong devotee of austria's kracher vineyard/producer/megaawesomeguy. a 2001 kracher trockenberrenauslese was goddamn near the most transcendental experience I've ever had drinking a dessert wine.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

it's not a sauternes per se, but I'm a lifelong devotee of austria's kracher vineyard/producer/megaawesomeguy. a 2001 kracher trockenberrenauslese was goddamn near the most transcendental experience I've ever had drinking a dessert wine.
Can I only get this shipped from Cali? I can only find one seller online.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Crimson posted:

Just finished my Advanced Sommelier theory exam, with the service up tomorrow. Extremely difficult, doubt I passed even with a 60% threshold. I don't feel too bad though, very few people pass on their first attempt. I can email all the questions I remembered to any certified somms interested in taking the exam.

I would be curious. Would it be possible to post them here? If not, you can reach me at overwined AT yahoo DOT com.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

Crimson posted:

I hear that's a gnarly test, man, so congrats for making it that far! Folks I know who took it (and failed the first time) all said it was worth it for the educational experience alone.

Any insight you have on it would be really interesting.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

No Wave posted:

Can I only get this shipped from Cali? I can only find one seller online.

I have no idea, I've never bought alcohol online. I'd just ask your wine merchant. Kracher is a fairly well known vineyard - I've had my guy track down a bottle before.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
Here are some random Advanced theory questions:

How long does chateau chalone need to remain under the voile.

Where is yarra valley, canberra, padthaway

What is an almacenista? Name one in US

Ripasso method

Main doc for ripasso method

Grapes allowed for haut benauge

Traditional method for ausbrush production

Who makes clos apalta, main grape

Max sugar level in brut champagne

What major region is coteaux du layon in

Chateau beychevelle chateau pontet canet growth and commune

What vintage did most port producers declare a vintage, they listed 70s

What is moto in sake?

Who was winemaker for first vintage of penfolds grange hermitage?

Listrac grapes

Percharmant grapes

Cotes De bergerac grapes

Where is chateau simone

Northern Rhone aop for sparkling and grapes used

Vacqueyras blanc grapes

What is alleinbesitz? Name one in Mosel?

Yeasts used for porter, ale and weissbier

Grand cru champagne vineyards, and their percent rating scale

What does cap classique mean on a South African wine label?

What does a goldkapsel mean on a German bottle of wine?

-----------

I found the theory extremely tough. I just finished the service, I think it went really well, although they asked me about a prestige cuvee champagne I'd never heard of. The service section can be really nerve wracking, I felt bad for some of the less prepared guys. Overall it's been a huge learning experience, and I can see why most people don't pass the first time. You have to take the test to know how to study for it, which is kinda stupid but oh well. All the blind tasting sessions with the masters have been extremely fun and really helpful. We'll see tomorrow when I do my blind tasting how much they've really helped.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Crimson posted:

Here are some random Advanced theory questions:

Good god. I was only able to answer two of those.

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002

Tai-Pan posted:

Good god. I was only able to answer two of those.

Those are some that I knew haha. Yeah it's a tough test. Although I didn't know wtf alleinbesitz was, or what cap classique meant.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Hahaha drat. Although I knew more of those than I thought I would.

Thanks for giving us an idea of the ridiculously specific/obscure questions these guys ask!

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
I knew about a quarter of those. Once they start bringing up individual chateaus, random aoc's and grapes it's pretty tough.

gay picnic defence fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 12, 2013

Crimson
Nov 7, 2002
So it turns out I actually passed the theory, and the blind tasting as well. The service I just barely missed, a few mechanical things on the decanting station cost me a lot of points. Frustrated for sure, but I'll get it next year definitely.

Mills
Jun 13, 2003

Sorry to hear Crimson.

I hope you were able to name the Australian locations. :)

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Crimson posted:

So it turns out I actually passed the theory, and the blind tasting as well. The service I just barely missed, a few mechanical things on the decanting station cost me a lot of points. Frustrated for sure, but I'll get it next year definitely.

That's all great news for you, really. It means you put the work in and it paid off. You just made a few mistakes in execution. I'm going to go ahead and congratulate you on your AS next year.

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
It's a beautiful spring day and I'm about to try these three beauties:

Going to pair them with the following courses: yellowfin crudo with Wente vineyards olive oil and sea salt, an asparagus-goat cheese-spring onion tart, and duck/bratwurst/bacon cassoulet.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy
Those are nice! Ch. d'Esclans "Whispering Angel" rosé is my girlfriend's favorite hot day sipper.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I was in a wine store yesterday and I was talking to one of the staff members about a bottle of Vin Jaune. She described a method of opening so that it would be less oxidized. Apparently, you fill up a bucket with water, pull out the cork a little bit and pull the cork out underwater? I was really confused by this. Does anyone know more about this?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

No Wave posted:

I was in a wine store yesterday and I was talking to one of the staff members about a bottle of Vin Jaune. She described a method of opening so that it would be less oxidized. Apparently, you fill up a bucket with water, pull out the cork a little bit and pull the cork out underwater? I was really confused by this. Does anyone know more about this?

Uhhh, you gotta pour it into your glass eventually.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Overwined posted:

Uhhh, you gotta pour it into your glass eventually.
Yeah - it sounded totally nuts. I made her repeat the relevant parts three times each and I still had no idea what the gently caress was going on. She said they'll be doing it with a champagne in a month or so - I'll try to be there for that and then report back.

After more creative googling I found a reference to this sort of procedure:
http://www.italianwinemerchantstore.com/pdfs/movia_puro_instructions.pdf

EDIT: found a video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PV-mVdhSLSc

benito
Sep 28, 2004

And I don't blab
any drab gab--
I chatter hep patter
I can comment a bit on the video but not on the technique. I got to taste with the Movia guys in NYC a few weeks ago and they do some crazy unfiltered, rustic wines. Their Lunar Ribolla has a ton of thick sediment in the bottom of the bottle and they were proudly showing off the gunk next to the decanter. The wine itself was orange-tinted and cloudy (it looked like chicken stock), and surprisingly tasty. I also tasted the Puro Rosé they show in the video, and the end result is a far more conventional sparkling pink wine.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

I'm loving nuts about Sauternes. Does anyone have any favorite brands for around $30 a half-bottle (or less)? I've only had a few types.

Château Suduiraut's second-label "Castlenau de Suduiraut" is a long time favorite of mine and really drat good at $20 a split. If you're going after that Château Roûmieu-Lacoste, it's worth getting the "Cuvée André" bottling over the regular stuff. While it's a bit more expensive it's still under $30 a split.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Château Suduiraut's second-label "Castlenau de Suduiraut" is a long time favorite of mine and really drat good at $20 a split. If you're going after that Château Roûmieu-Lacoste, it's worth getting the "Cuvée André" bottling over the regular stuff. While it's a bit more expensive it's still under $30 a split.
Shockingly one of the liquor stores here in Boston had some '04 Suduiraut for 50 bucks a bottle. It's quite tasty, a little more like brown sugar than honey. I'll check out the Roumieu-Lacoste.

Also here's a cool thing I do:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C3ZUZE/ref=oh_details_o07_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have about eight of these and when I open a wine I fill up two of them to the very tippy top and keep them in the fridge (and drink the remaining 25% that is in the bottle). I don't think there's a better wine preservation storage and it's EZ.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Don't also ignore Barsac and Cadillac. Barsac is technically part of the Sauternes AOC, but they are allowed to use either name and many go by Barsac. Cadillac has some good producers and just okay producers, but they are all tremendous values.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I just sent this email. It is drumming loudly, but it is if nothing else factually correct. Please post support or ridicule.

quote:

Dear Taxfree shop at Kastrup,

I have just opened a red wine which I, in full and reasonable trust, purchased yesterday at the Copenhagen airport Kastrup tax-free shop. It is this:

http://shop.cph.dk/en/Wine/Pages/product-view.aspx?ProductId=13927

It is clearly a wine which is spoiled due to poor storage, its cork is dry and it tastes of oxidization and mold. To make a clear accusation; I believe you have put this on "sale" in full knowledge of its flaws, that it was poorly stored and thus spoiled, in an attempt to recover your wholesaler cost. You have gambled that fewer people would complain than would pay money for what seemed like a good wine. You are mistaken and you will now lose both money and prestige.

You are defrauding your customers, ruining their confidence in your service and at worst putting their health at risk. You should know, as immediately as a shock of electricity directly to the spine, that pushing bad product is much worse for you financially than simply accepting the fate of accidentally bad product which is thrown away as normal damaged goods. As these products are made, shipped and consumed in the modern world, there is no chance that this is an "odd single one". You sell modern objects in a modern world, this is something you can catch swiftly with modern tools of quality assurance, and when faults are captured you can act swiftly to fully rectify them. You don't try to push damaged goods on fools without getting into trouble.

I have attached two pictures. One is of the receipt, the item in question is item "Barolo 13927". The other is of the cork which has clear, deep traces of white mold, is dry cracked and smells strongly of mold. After the first unfortunate glass I have sealed the bottle with the mold side down, after letting it deform (and thus slightly dry) in the opposite configuration so it would reinsert. I will submit the contents to any wine expert for judgement upon reasonable request, failing an acceptable response from you I will submit the bottle's spoiled contents directly to Lars Jønstrup Dollerup's face as opportunity permits - he, CPH's CEO, the ultimately responsible of this detestable new variant of horse lasagna in bottles.

My spoiled bottle will most likely not be the only one in a batch from such a high volume seller as yourself. A sufficient response by you will entail not only a a personal refund (I ask of no more) but also an immediate retraction of the product, an immediate public response confirming said retraction including an active approach to customers who have purchased this spoiled product but who are yet unaware - your customers might be storing these soiled bottles for years. If you for some reason believe that my bottle is different from the thousands you've already sold, I challenge you to argue that fact.

Your failing to act on these few and very reasonable requests will result in my eager and swift exploration any consequence available. These will include options which Copenhagen consumer lawyers will consider career changing innovations and possibly warrant Wikipedia-articles of their own.

Please get back to me as soon as possible with how you wish to resolve this simple and cheap, yet potentially highly damaging matter.

Sour regards,

Ola Leier

PS I am sorry for spamming the inboxes of you various newspapers and consumer organizations, I hope you don't think I confuse this customer complaint with a real emergency but I do hope you have a sniff of interest in it anyway.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

In Australia you generally need to front up in person with the hosed wine so they can taste it to make sure it is actually hosed. Not sure about the process in other places. A bad cork is definitely grounds for a refund though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

gay picnic defence posted:

In Australia you generally need to front up in person with the hosed wine so they can taste it to make sure it is actually hosed. Not sure about the process in other places. A bad cork is definitely grounds for a refund though.

Yeah, reasonable request. That's why I recorked the bastard. But in an airport shop, who knows where people are going and what their refund abilities are like. The products should be off the shelves. I should mention they sell Chateau Latour at $2500 a bottle as well, stored in the same posture. I'm not out more than $35 but hoboy do I get switched on when I'm suckered into buying poo poo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

mindphlux posted:

I got one. Pairing suggestions?

Loving Leader
Sep 17, 2004

HOT PIE COMIN THROUGH
Publix(Regional Supermarket chain) has a really good wine guide for newbies.

http://www.publix.com/clubs/wine/wine101/Home.do

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I opened my bottle of Domaine Bourillon Dorléans Vouvray Chenin Blanc recommended by you guys as I finished my mid-semesters! Yes, a twenty dollar bottle is celebratory for me.

Anyway, I'm really liking it! Nice acidity, a little lingers on the tongue but not a permanent after-taste and is tart but fruity. Would buy again! A review of it once mentioned it tasting like banana, which I'm not sure I buy but it sure is nice.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004
Hey guys,

For those of y'all familiar with California wines, does anyone have recommendations of wines/wineries from Amador County?

Map and list of (some) wineries: http://amadorwine.com/new/pages/winery_map.cgi

I will be up there over the weekend and would like to do some tastings and/or purchase some bottles.

Thanks!

JetSet
Jan 2, 2004
Germanologist
Never been to the winery, but I'm a big fan of Terra d'Oro's Zin.

Efresh
Oct 21, 2007
I'm heading to the USA for work this week (I am Australian). Can anyone suggest a couple of "iconic" US wines to pick up? I'd spend up to around $100 a bottle, but I'm not going to wine areas so it will be have be something mainstream enough to be in a good liquor store or a specialty wine store in NYC.

Alexander the Grape
Dec 21, 2006

Ott-tocracy

beefnchedda posted:

Hey guys,

For those of y'all familiar with California wines, does anyone have recommendations of wines/wineries from Amador County?

Map and list of (some) wineries: http://amadorwine.com/new/pages/winery_map.cgi

I will be up there over the weekend and would like to do some tastings and/or purchase some bottles.

Thanks!

Turley would be an awesome stop, but according to that map you posted, it could be closed. :(

Jeff Runquist does good stuff. I tasted his Barbera, Zin, and 1448 (Petite Sirah blend) the other day and thought they weren't half bad.

beefnchedda
Aug 16, 2004

Alexander the Grape posted:

Turley would be an awesome stop, but according to that map you posted, it could be closed. :(

Jeff Runquist does good stuff. I tasted his Barbera, Zin, and 1448 (Petite Sirah blend) the other day and thought they weren't half bad.

JetSet posted:

Never been to the winery, but I'm a big fan of Terra d'Oro's Zin.

Thanks for the help!

The Turley tasting room is not yet open (instead of having been shut down), which is a shame since I really enjoy their wines and have been to their place down in SLO before.

I ended up going to Jeff Runquist, Story, Easton/Terre Rouge, Vino Noceto, Amador Cellars, and Kermere.

Overall, Jeff Runquist was easily the best of the wineries, in terms of the consistency of decent wines across the spectrum of their offerings. Of those listed, only Easton charged for the tasting. While it was a fun afternoon of tasting (and the landscape and weather were amazing) all of the fruit-bomb, jammy wines really start to blend together.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
I've had a couple different wines from Bordeaux recently, and I'm surprised by their aggressive flavor. The tannins seem quite gritty. I've always thought that syrahs are supposed to be more aggressive, but the ones I've had from Cotes du Rhone have been smoother. It could just be what I've purchased, because I haven't tried very many from either region.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Shiraz/Syrah tends to have quite smooth and supple tannins unless the winemaker has gone out of their way to extract more from the skins or add tannin through oak or other additions. This is mostly because the grapes are quite large to the juice to skin ratio is high. By contrast Cabernet (which makes up the bulk of a lot of Bordeaux wine) has very small berries with low juice to skin ratio, so a lot of tannin gets extracted into the wine. The skins of Cabernet grapes is a lot thicker than Shiraz skin too, so there is more bulk to extract the tannins from. As a result wines made from Cab can be very aggressive unless the winemaker takes care to avoid over extracting from the skins during fermentation.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

From what I understand, Syrah is very responsive to the skin's exposure to sunlight. This is also true of Cabernet, though it is a naturally more tannic grape. However, what I'm saying is that Syrah can be shaded to develop lower tannin skins or allowed to bask a bit more and develop a pretty hearty tannin.

that Vai sound posted:

I've had a couple different wines from Bordeaux recently, and I'm surprised by their aggressive flavor. The tannins seem quite gritty. I've always thought that syrahs are supposed to be more aggressive, but the ones I've had from Cotes du Rhone have been smoother. It could just be what I've purchased, because I haven't tried very many from either region.

In general, the better the Bordeaux wine, the more you need to age it. These have been wines meant to age for centuries and while they are moving a bit towards early drinkability, they still need lots of age. That "gritty" sensation you get is their typical gravelly nature. This nature subsides into an almost floral and graphite note as they age. There is usually a lot of fruit in a Bordeaux wine, though you have next to no access to it when young. I have had a lot of lush 10+ year old Bordeaux. In fact, that is Bordeaux's calling card for me.

And a small correction: If you are drinking a wine labelled "Cotes-du-Rhone", about 80-90% of the time there is little to no Syrah in it. While there are some Syrah-dominated CDRs from the Northern Rhone, they usually choose to use their village-level appellations for lower end wines (Crozes-Hermitage, St. Joseph, etc). Most (and please understand that this varies widely) Cotes-du-Rhone are dominated by Grenache, which is decidedly less tannic than Syrach. There are usually a host of other grapes in the blend, but I can say for a fact that most Southern Rhone winemakers have an odd prejudice against Syrah.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Interesting stuff.

I'm thinking of buying another bottle or two of the Château de la Vieille Cure and aging it, since it came across as promising stuff. Their website says most of their wines are best aged between 4-6 years, but some vintages can go 10+. I bought a 2009, putting it at 4 years, and it's certainly sounding like it needs to go longer based on it's flavor profile. Is there some way I can tell if I should age it just two more years or longer, or is that something left to experts?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

It's your bottle of wine. You are going to drink it. So that makes you an expert. Not being facetious here, just letting you know that you are the ultimate arbiter of what tastes good.

Vieille Cure is a good wine, though Fronsac and Canon-Fronsac are a bit of an odd duck in the world of Right Bank wines. While still Merlot-dominated, there's an interesting graphite and ash nature to the wines--almost menthol. I like these wines to be held a bit longer than your average St.-Emilion. I would say for you to wait another 2 years if you can. Just because you'll get more layers out of the wine as it ages. That being said, I'm not a fan of hording. So if you have some nice steaks or similarly hearty/spicy food, give it a go. It's also not a wine that costs so much that you simply HAVE to have an optimal experience. In fact it's a very good value.

However, the next time you venture out into Bordeaux wines, perhaps try a St.-Emilion or Pomerol. From there you can head over to the big bad Left Bank. Here your primary point of access should maybe be second wines from famous or semi-famous estates. Names like Haut-Bages-Averous which I guess is now called "Echo de Lynch-Bages" (loving ugh), La Croix Beaucaillou (second wine of Ducru Beaucaillou), and Chevalier Lascombes (Ch Lascombes) come to mind. But there are many many others to choose from. Have fun out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Just as people have comfort foods, I'd say Italians are my comfort wine.