Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Yonic Symbolism posted:

There was a turtles rpg???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teenage_Mutant_Ninja_Turtles_%26_Other_Strangeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It makes sense for Mikey to have some serious skills somewhere along the line, because it would explain how he gets away with goofing off so much compared to the other turtles.

Also, he happens to be the most stable turtle, because all of the others have much more clear overt issues to work through. Raph's got his anger and authority issues, Leo's got to figure out how to be an authority in addition to his childish naivete about Karai, Donny's got girl issues and has to find a balance between thinking and fighting, Mikey's just a goofball, so his character development really isn't a priority.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I always felt the "highest talent" part was... mostly a creation of the RPG. Has it really ever come up in anything else? Don't get me wrong, Mikey's my favorite, but I can't think of anything else in which that was a core trait of his.

When he won the Battle Nexus and his re-match for the title in the 2k3 series. It doesn't come up all too often since they mostly work as a team.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I think Splinter mentions in the new comic series how Mikey would be the best of the four if he could learn some discipline.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

SlothfulCobra posted:

It makes sense for Mikey to have some serious skills somewhere along the line, because it would explain how he gets away with goofing off so much compared to the other turtles.

Also, he happens to be the most stable turtle, because all of the others have much more clear overt issues to work through. Raph's got his anger and authority issues, Leo's got to figure out how to be an authority in addition to his childish naivete about Karai, Donny's got girl issues and has to find a balance between thinking and fighting, Mikey's just a goofball, so his character development really isn't a priority.

There's definite potential to explore something interesting down the line there, if he's just unfocused and doesn't apply himself or if there is something deeper, either being comfortable with the family dynamic and not wanting to encroach on his brother's specialties, so is comparability unassertive, mellow and...uh, I want a kinder word than "dumber". Or it could be he doesn't see a point in applying himself like that because he doesn't feel he can compete with them. Something for much later, I think, when everyone else's issues have been well covered, and in the meantime the Mikey episodes can focus on his empathy and desire to engage with the wider world.

So yeah, hi thread. Think I started watching the show on Tuesday, watched the latest on Thursday, should say it all. It's the first time the TMNT seemed to act like teenagers. Since I'm late I'm just going to throw out some bulletpoints:
-brilliant combining of 2D backdrops and graphics from Splinter's flashbacks, Leo's dumb sci-fi show that looks like it could be off Adult Swim
-These shows always benefit from Jeffery Coombs playing someone eccentric/crazy
-obviously it calls on past media for inspiration like Rat King, Baxter, the Kraang, but I know mostly the 90's show and some of the Archie/Fleetway comics, are Dogpound and Fishface completely new? Shredder has had so many pairs of minions before, I thought it was odd Rocksteady and Bebop didn't come back. No problem with the characters though, but I thing they could have done more with them in human form. Especially Bradford being a big evil Chuck Norris, I would have liked to know how an American became Shredder's apprentice and then got to become an action star. And both of them getting swept away in liquid.
-kind of bothered that besides Splinter and the Turtles, all the other mutants turn into hulking giants. The mutagen had probably been altered in 15 years, so there is an argument out of that.
-no basis for this besides convention but Kurai is probably Splinter's daughter, right? I don't think he had a kid of his own in previous media. I understand Kurai has been in previous versions though.
-unfortunately pretty noticeable that they can't populate New York with many people yet. Wouldn't be surprised if in season 2 we suddenly see April in class and stuff.
-the Kraang speech patterns and redundancy is a great touch, as is their human disguise being conspicuously plain looking.
-enjoying all the Turtle's characters, but special congratulations have to go to them for not falling into the trap of making the leader boring
-Splinter is wonderful, clearly very noble even as a rat, and you quickly understand the turtle's admiration for him as a father-figure and teacher. He also gets some of the best lines.
-finally, the theme tune is a cheesy 80's theme with rapping, why have I not skipped it once yet?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's definite potential to explore something interesting down the line there, if he's just unfocused and doesn't apply himself or if there is something deeper, either being comfortable with the family dynamic and not wanting to encroach on his brother's specialties, so is comparability unassertive, mellow and...uh, I want a kinder word than "dumber". Or it could be he doesn't see a point in applying himself like that because he doesn't feel he can compete with them. Something for much later, I think, when everyone else's issues have been well covered, and in the meantime the Mikey episodes can focus on his empathy and desire to engage with the wider world.

Mikey's big contrast is that he wants to be part of the bigger society where as his brothers are ok with being in the shadows. While they like the surface, they understand that the world might not be ready for them. Mikey feels isolated from not only his brothers but society itself.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
I'm not sure if this is the best place to discuss this, but this thread seems good for any TMNT talk. Has anybody been following the news of the latest Turtles movie in development?

Here's a crash-course for the (fortunate) unfamiliar. A warning though, you will not enjoy what you're told. Michael Bay is working on a new Turtles movie: "Ninja Turtles". In his movie, the turtles are no longer Teenage or Mutants, or really Turtles for that matter, technically, because now they will be aliens from another planet. Who I suppose resemble turtles. His logic is that this could produce great ideas involving an entire planet of these ninja-practicing aliens. I'm also unaware if they'll be brothers either. There's no real plot-details yet, but the script has been through multiple re-writes, with the buzz being in attempts to make it not, well, suck so much. Kevin Eastman is on board with the project, but Peter Laird has voiced his objections. Let's be honest though, Eastman has always been kind of a whore.

Casting-wise, Raphael will be played by Alan Ritchson (Aquaman from Smallville), Leonardo is Pete Ploszek (a total unknown), Donatello is Jeremy Howard (small roles in a ton of movies), and Michelangelo will be played by Noel Fiscer (from Shameless). Most notably though, is that April O'Neil is played by collection of shapes Megan Fox. I guess Michael Bay got over those Nazi-comments. The turtles will portrayed by motion-capture-dot-suits and technology that is, apparently, going to on level with Avatar. I guess we just have to wait for news on Splinter, Shredder, and Casey Jones, if they're even in this thing.

Now, obviously this is a terrible thing to happen, but here's what helps me sleep at night. This new show has already been renewed through a third season, and season one is just barely about to wrap up. I can only assume that the show will get better from here. And I know kids love this show. My wife is a daycare teacher and kids are always talking about it. I work in retail (kill me) and we are moving a ton of TMNT shirts and stuff. What I think is that this show will just get more popular, and kids will continue being familiar with a more faithful version of the franchise. When the movie comes out, kids will go see it, and probably be pretty confused about why this movie doesn't match up with the Turtles they know. In a few years, it'll probably be looked at the same we all look at the Mario Bros. movie.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
Personally I wish they would follow up with a sequel to TMNT from a few years ago. That movie was pretty awesome, and the animation was pretty solid as well. If they did a full length movie with the current style of animation and current voice actors/writers? I'd be all on board, and would watch the poo poo out of that movie.
Needless to say, I'll end up probably watching Bay's version, just because it's technically TMNT, but until I see some actual trailers, I'll remain skeptical. I also love how this has been picked up through a third season, as I'm 28 years old and have no shame in admitting this show is amazing.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BizarroAzrael posted:

There's definite potential to explore something interesting down the line there, if he's just unfocused and doesn't apply himself or if there is something deeper, either being comfortable with the family dynamic and not wanting to encroach on his brother's specialties, so is comparability unassertive, mellow and...uh, I want a kinder word than "dumber". Or it could be he doesn't see a point in applying himself like that because he doesn't feel he can compete with them.

Mikey is definitely dumber than the others, which he seems pretty self aware and comfortable with frankly. He's also probably not as in to training as the others more than anything as an explanation for why he's not living up to his potential. He does seem to love martial arts going by how in to Chris Bradford he was, just not in to the constant training I'd imagine. He is as Mooseontheloose said more interested in popular culture and the outside world instead.

BizarroAzrael posted:

-no basis for this besides convention but Kurai is probably Splinter's daughter, right? I don't think he had a kid of his own in previous media. I understand Kurai has been in previous versions though.
-finally, the theme tune is a cheesy 80's theme with rapping, why have I not skipped it once yet?

I love the theme tune, it's one of my favorite aspects of the show. As to Kurai, didn't Splinter address her directly as daughter during one of the episodes already? I was sure he had at least, probably at the end of her intro episode when she's apologizing for letting Leo get away.

momtartin posted:

Personally I wish they would follow up with a sequel to TMNT from a few years ago. That movie was pretty awesome, and the animation was pretty solid as well. If they did a full length movie with the current style of animation and current voice actors/writers? I'd be all on board, and would watch the poo poo out of that movie.
Needless to say, I'll end up probably watching Bay's version, just because it's technically TMNT, but until I see some actual trailers, I'll remain skeptical. I also love how this has been picked up through a third season, as I'm 28 years old and have no shame in admitting this show is amazing.

That movie was the first time I'd seen anything Turtles related since the live action movies and original cartoon as a kid and I loved the poo poo out of it. I much prefer the characterization in this adaptation, but there was some good tension between Leo and Raph in that at least, even if Mikey and Donnatello were kind of bland, while Patrick Stewart's character was a pretty solid antagonist for most of the movie and it had some great action. I was always disappointed there was no sequel. Also, not sure if it's true in the States, but here in the UK and Ireland they were advertising the new show pretty specifically to adults for at least a short while. The only reason I even knew it was a thing at all is because I spotted an ad for it around 23:30 one night on E4. There's no reason to advertise that light at night except to try and capture someone like me who'd be nostalgic for it. And it worked, for me at least, and a lot of others by the sound of it.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

tsob posted:

As to Kurai, didn't Splinter address her directly as daughter during one of the episodes already? I was sure he had at least, probably at the end of her intro episode when she's apologizing for letting Leo get away.

You mean Shredder, right? I didn't elaborate enough, I mean I think Saki took Yoshi's child from the fire that killed Yoshi's wife and trained her as his daughter, probably for the express purpose of loving with his rival.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

BizarroAzrael posted:

You mean Shredder, right? I didn't elaborate enough, I mean I think Saki took Yoshi's child from the fire that killed Yoshi's wife and trained her as his daughter, probably for the express purpose of loving with his rival.

Oh right, yea, now I get what you mean. Didn't even realize I was mixing up the names. Sounds like a good possibility now that you point it out, though she was Shredder's daughter in the 2003 show from what I gather, so there's a good chance the show will just ape that I guess.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

tsob posted:

Oh right, yea, now I get what you mean. Didn't even realize I was mixing up the names. Sounds like a good possibility now that you point it out, though she was Shredder's daughter in the 2003 show from what I gather, so there's a good chance the show will just ape that I guess.

Shredder was an Utron in the 2003 show. Kurai was a street kid he adopted, so it's not really that off that he could "adopt" someone else's kid like that.

I think she was his daughter in the comics as well, but he was just a normal guy (most of the time) in that one.

I think she was in one episode of the classic show too, but just as some random ninja Krang hired because Shredder kept loving up.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Shredder was an Utron in the 2003 show. Kurai was a street kid he adopted, so it's not really that off that he could "adopt" someone else's kid like that.

I think she was his daughter in the comics as well, but he was just a normal guy (most of the time) in that one.

I think she was in one episode of the classic show too, but just as some random ninja Krang hired because Shredder kept loving up.

I think she was part of the foot in Japan and not Shredder's kid.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
This is the episode of the 80s series I was thinking of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haVNEAXfN1s She goes by Lotus, but it's pretty much the same character.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Karai in various media, contains spoilers:

Original Mirage Comics: Unrelated to Shredder. Is a high-ranking member of the Japanese branch of the Foot Clan. Comes to New York to take over for Shredder basically. Eventually works out a truce with the TMNT.

2003 Show: Adopted daughter of Shredder, eventually also a Shredder herself. Also works out a truce, even goes to April and Casey's wedding.

CG movie: Relationship is not made clear, seems to be in a role similar to Mirage.

Current-running comics: Seems to be a descendant of Shredder in some way, refers to him as her grandfather but he's probably like hundreds of years old. Fairly sure she was some how in charge before he showed up, not sure if it's been explained yet.

Current show: Presumably really Splinter's daughter but I don't think it's been confirmed as of yet so it could just be a red herring sort of thing.

She was also the boss for the SNES game!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
New episode aired yesterday.
It was a heros+villains team up episode but a really competent and entertaining one that showed the strength of the show's character writing, with both sides watching their backs but cooperating and reaching an understanding of each other. I especially liked how Xever and Ralph's interaction went. I have to say I have not seen an episode yet where I was disappointed with how someone was written.

Which makes me look forward to next season, based on this article [SPOILER WARNING][and no not the spoilers we knew already]

I wanted that character in the show and given how great that loving roach was I am nothing but excited for him.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008
The new episode where the turtles are forced to work together with Dogpound and Fishface is pretty funny and makes Baxter Stockman a better character overall. It was also cool to learn more about Xever before he became fishface and see Shredder without the suit (even if only in silhouette)

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I wanted that character in the show and given how great that loving roach was I am nothing but excited for him.

This was already a pretty creepy character so it's going to be cool to see what they do with him.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If Baxter Stockman winds up as a brain in a jar instead of a mutated fly I'm gonna be really disappointed.

(Also Bebop and Rocksteady for season 2, please.)

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

If Baxter Stockman winds up as a brain in a jar instead of a mutated fly I'm gonna be really disappointed.

That would require them to get rid of Fishface and Dogpound who are much better character who are competent. Unless they are some useless one-off villains for an episode, which would actually be kind of cool in a constantly watching them fail horribly way.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

You know, you could just watch the old cartoon again.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Bebop and Rocksteady could be Krang henchmen instead of Shredder's. They did have Snake for whatever reason.

I think it's likely Baxter could become pretty fly, the 80's show has a lot of callbacks to it.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Bebop and Rocksteady could be Krang henchmen instead of Shredder's. They did have Snake for whatever reason.

I think it's likely Baxter could become pretty fly, the 80's show has a lot of callbacks to it.

Yeah, I'm thinking they would probably be Krang Henchmen. I dunno, I just think it's a little disappointing that Bebop, Rocksteady and the Technodrome never show up in the new shows. Sure, they weren't in the mirage comics, but hey, when most of us were kids, we had no idea those even existed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They brought back the Turtle Van, Krang, and the stone warriors, anything is possible. This rate they could put in the Turtle Blimp or the Hot Rodding Teens from Dimension Y and I would not be shocked. Although the technodrome MIGHT already be there. Remember what the turtles saw when the power core was about to send them to Dimension X? Giant freaky eye.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking they would probably be Krang Henchmen. I dunno, I just think it's a little disappointing that Bebop, Rocksteady and the Technodrome never show up in the new shows. Sure, they weren't in the mirage comics, but hey, when most of us were kids, we had no idea those even existed.

The technodrone is being built in the new comic series, and i'm fairly sure human bebop and rocksteady have appeared in an issue as well. It's also a quality ongoing and well worth picking up if you're into comics at all.

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist

Yonic Symbolism posted:

They brought back the Turtle Van, Krang, and the stone warriors, anything is possible. This rate they could put in the Turtle Blimp or the Hot Rodding Teens from Dimension Y and I would not be shocked. Although the technodrome MIGHT already be there. Remember what the turtles saw when the power core was about to send them to Dimension X? Giant freaky eye.

That eye actually belongs to the artist who boarded the sequence. It was just a cute visual gag that made it all the way to the final animation.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Bebop and Rocksteady would be cool. They managed to work them into the 2003 version for like one scene. I'm hoping we see Usagi at some point.

Casey Jones has always been basically the same in each version. I'm kinda half hoping that when we eventually see him, it turns out The Pulverizer hit the gym and started taking crime fighting seriously.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I could do without Bebop or Rocksteady. They were just thugs, and I like Shredder's new thugs better. Not to say you couldn't do something with them, but I think it would better to do something new or come up with a more interesting take than to just trot them out of nostalgia's sake. So far the series has avoided pure rehashes, and I really appreciate that as a long-time fan.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Are you proud of yourself? :colbert:

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Dr_Amazing posted:

Bebop and Rocksteady would be cool. They managed to work them into the 2003 version for like one scene. I'm hoping we see Usagi at some point.

Casey Jones has always been basically the same in each version. I'm kinda half hoping that when we eventually see him, it turns out The Pulverizer hit the gym and started taking crime fighting seriously.

They were in the whole drat Turtles Forever movie based on that show, not just the show itself.

MrJacobs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Apr 8, 2013

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I remember them being idiots and screwing things up most of the time. I was about five or six when I watched them though on the 1987 version so I don't remember a great detail. If they were brought back it would be nice to see them with a bit more intelligence.

Really getting into the show and I didn't think I would until I actually sat down and watched an episode with my nephew.Strange to see them coming back in popularity. I just watched an old VHS tape of a family Christmas when I was five. I must had gotten something ninja turtle related as I could be heard yelling "NINJA TURTLES!" I could also be seen with a turtle bean bag chair and pillow in the video as well.

Does anyone collect the figures/etc? I am thinking about picking up one of the lego sets.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
I still have a talking Ralph on my desk at work. His Sai and the plastic thing that makes him talk are long gone though. I know my parents still have the technodrome and sewer set in their basement somewhere.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

I still have a talking Ralph on my desk at work. His Sai and the plastic thing that makes him talk are long gone though. I know my parents still have the technodrome and sewer set in their basement somewhere.

Are you talking about the the red or orange strip that you put in and pulled out the turtle? I remember the strip being about a foot long or so and about as wide around as a twist tie.

These. I don't remember them coming in packages by themselves though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY29AIyuSwI

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
That's exactly what I meant. They got bent pretty easy and stopped working though. I never saw a pack like that. I had a few that came with each turtle.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I thought the season was over! Nice to get a new episode this weekend, I really liked it.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
The scene where Karai beat on April was really brutal. It's probably the first thing in a long time I've watched on TV that actually caused me to flinch to feel discomfort. It was really surprising for what is ostensibly a kids' show.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"Hey! We're not that kind of sub!"

Holy poo poo. How did they get away with that? And I was wondering if they would manage to make it explicit that the sea monster wasn't loving the submarine.

Also, Splinter is amazing.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
So April is immune to krang water and never knew her mother? Is it too dumb to assume she's part alien or something?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I was thinking that something in her DNA presents an immunity to Kraang water, but perhaps that's too simplistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Her mom was probably a Neutrino or something.

• Locked thread