Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hm, yeah. I thought that was the case. I didn't see OSS anywhere either but I wasn't sure.

Guess it's going to come down to seeing real-world samples from the 20mm so I can decide between it and the Sigma 19mm which is like 1/2 its price new.

19 Sigma is really nice, apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

RustedChrome posted:

It would indeed. The stock reply is that you don't need IS for wide lenses because you are only going to shoot landscapes like Ansel Adams on a tripod in daylight.

I think the stock reply is that you don't need OS on a 20mm because you can pretty safely handhold it down to 1/50th (or, realistically, 1/25th on a MILC) unless you are Michael J Fox.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Martytoof posted:

Hm, yeah. I thought that was the case. I didn't see OSS anywhere either but I wasn't sure.

Guess it's going to come down to seeing real-world samples from the 20mm so I can decide between it and the Sigma 19mm which is like 1/2 its price new.

19 Sigma is really nice, apparently.

You think its a 200 lens? I think the 20 pancake is a $299 lens.

You can pick it up cheap on ebay if Sony bundle it with the cheaper models.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

whatever7 posted:

You think its a 200 lens? I think the 20 pancake is a $299 lens.

You can pick it up cheap on ebay if Sony bundle it with the cheaper models.

The 20 pancake will be 350 AFAIK, and the Sigma is like 150+tax new where I live.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
New player in the m4/3 game or just a re-badge?
http://www.thephoblographer.com/2013/04/08/blackmagics-pocket-cinema-camera-is-native-micro-four-thirds-mount-tiny-shoots-raw/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The latter. Two megapickles doesn’t cut it for a still camera.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

So a dedicated semipro video camera that looks like a P&S. Why? At least make it mountable like a GoPro or something.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

It's a dedicated semipro video camera the size of a point and shoot that shoots RAW HD video, has 13 stops of dynamic range, can mount almost any lens in existence, and costs less than a grand.

I mean, I don't do video but I think it's pretty obvious why.

edit: They have more info up on their site.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicpocketcinemacamera

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 8, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This camera might not be impressive to still shooters, but I can tell you that a lot of video people are creaming their pants about blackmagic's new cameras. I'm not sure how much more mountable you need this to be either:

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

X-Pro 2 rumor http://www.fujirumors.com/x-pro1-replacement-with-dual-processor-chip

Was strongly considering a x100s but I might hold off for this.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
That shouldn't be too surprising- they need the AF to be as good as the x100s, and making it speedier (and more lenses) are the only complaints about it. I'm not sure they'll actually make June if we're hearing (potential) rumors about it now- but sometime in summer is likely.

e: The only real complaint is that the RAWs are far worse than jpegs, even still.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 10, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
What's up with DigitalRev selling the X-E1 for $759.

http://www.digitalrev.com/product/fujifilm-x-e1/MTAwMTMwNg_A_A

Am I missing something?

ThisQuietReverie
Jul 22, 2004

I am not as I was.
A new X-Pro release a year later seems like foolishness, especially after the X-E1 backlash where a segment of X-Pro 1 buyers felt cheated out of the nicer EVF.

Model refreshes too often lead to this:

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Was strongly considering a x100s but I might hold off for this.

so hopefully this isn't happening because they're doing pretty well and I don't want to see people lose confidence in the X series and wander off to other things leaving us with very nice lenses that can't be adapted to anything else.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Am I missing something?

I watched T Dimension sell out of both all their black and silver ones for $750 and wondered the same. They're grey market clearly, but that much of a price drop is inexplicable unless the X-E1 isn't moving or they are making space for the X100s or something. For that price I'd be an idiot to not pick one up for adapted lens use exclusively but I've been having too much fun with the XF 14 to want to do anything with another lens.

An X-E1 with the 14 parked on it and an X-Pro 1 with the 35 would make for a terribly fun afternoon.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

ThisQuietReverie posted:

A new X-Pro release a year later seems like foolishness, especially after the X-E1 backlash where a segment of X-Pro 1 buyers felt cheated out of the nicer EVF.

Model refreshes too often lead to this:

True- but they're also in a precarious position in that they have an amazing camera that's almost perfect, but the downsides can be a deal breaker. If they are releasing the updates, it's going to be because they don't want to get their market stolen by any of the other evil cameras. Nikon and Canon aren't competing, so it's pretty much Oly, Fuji, and Sony, and losing dominance might hurt them in the long run.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
I have an XPro-1, and other than PDAF I'm not really sure what else fuji can add in hardware. My main issues with cameras are really software based (Seriously fuji just open the source to your on-camera jpeg engine and no one would have complained about lovely demosaicing) and they're pretty ok at updating firmware.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Am I missing something?

This is the Japanese price now. Japanese price has dropped a bit plus the yen has dropped as well.

Any one know the cheapest place to buy the XF 35/1.4?

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Malcolm XML posted:

I have an XPro-1, and other than PDAF I'm not really sure what else fuji can add in hardware. My main issues with cameras are really software based (Seriously fuji just open the source to your on-camera jpeg engine and no one would have complained about lovely demosaicing) and they're pretty ok at updating firmware.
I can only speak as somebody who lusts after one, but reading all of the reviews, it struck me that pretty much every criticism levelled as the camera could be put under the heading of Speed. Be it auto-focus speed, EVF speed, buffer/write speed, or general responsiveness. I'd suggest that the Mk2 doesn't need to address a lack of particular features so much as polish the user-experience.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Pablo Bluth posted:

I can only speak as somebody who lusts after one, but reading all of the reviews, it struck me that pretty much every criticism levelled as the camera could be put under the heading of Speed. Be it auto-focus speed, EVF speed, buffer/write speed, or general responsiveness. I'd suggest that the Mk2 doesn't need to address a lack of particular features so much as polish the user-experience.

Essentially. It's sluggish at best, and I think most of it is software. But as someone who doesn't need ULTRA FAST AF OMG it's fine, and honestly lets me improve my shitbox technique.

EDIT: Rumor has it that the XPro-2 will have a dual core processor or something like it, which will pretty much alleviate any downsides to the Xpro line with the hybrid pdaf sensor they have going.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Pablo Bluth posted:

There's a lot of chatter online of people who have far too mch time on their hands and bitch about every little niggle and blow them completely out of proportion. The focussing was pretty slow on Firmware 1.00, now at 2.03 its pretty good. Similarly the lack of RAW processing with mainstream editors was pretty poor, lightroom 4.4 has pretty much fixed this too.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

I have an XPro-1, and other than PDAF I'm not really sure what else fuji can add in hardware.

A goddamn articulating LCD would be nice :colbert:

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

Pompous Rhombus posted:

This, and a lag free evf. That's all I want.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Pompous Rhombus posted:

They will have to take the "Pro" out of the name if they add an amateur feature like that!
:goonsay:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Does any Fuji flash/body combo do off camera TTL? I don't think so.

The number 1 wanted feature for the XP2 is the awesome manual focus aid from X100s.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

whatever7 posted:

Does any Fuji flash/body combo do off camera TTL? I don't think so.

The number 1 wanted feature for the XP2 is the awesome manual focus aid from X100s.

I think the XPro/X100 were both almost there for a lot of professionals. The X100S is now at the level they wanted/needed it to be, but the X-Pro is still lagging behind. It makes perfect sense to me that they would be bringing it up to the same level as the X100s. I definitely fall into the category of "As soon as they upgrade the Xpro, I'll take a serious look at moving over to Fuji."

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 11, 2013

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Fart Car '97 posted:

I think the XPro/X100 were both almost there for a lot of professionals. The X100S is now at the level they wanted/needed it to be, but the X-Pro is still lagging behind. It makes perfect sense to me that they would be bringing it up to the same level as the X100s.

Yeah the Xpro has some really annoying shortcomings but no showstoppers. I wouldn't buy one now, with a refresh looming.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got one of those ebay clip-on screen protectors for my 5N but it kind of sucks. There's no latches on the bottom of the articulating LCD for the protector to clip onto, as opposed to the top, so it looks like it's just in place by friction.

I'm thinking of using a small dab of epoxy to make a tiny bump or ridge for the protector to clip onto, but I'm not really married to the protector in the first place seeing as how I spent a total of like two dollars on it. Maybe I should just get a stick-on one instead.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Doublepost:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/11/samsung-nx1100-bundled-lightroom/

NX1100 is $600, bundled with Lightroom 4. Comes with a 20-50mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. I don't know anything about the sensor other than it's APS-C, but this looks like a pretty good deal to me, if you're interested in a Samsung camera.

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
Ordered the NX300, supposedly it will come with lightroom 4 as well. Still waiting on it...... supposedly being releasing next week (or says B&H's website).

Hopefully it doesn't have some bugs like some people had reported (weird green lines across the screen) and still got to figure out what lens to pick up for it beyond the 20-50mm that comes with it. Any recommendations? Going to China next month and probably be in HK/guangzhou most of the time so... something appropriate for cities.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Eirgen posted:

Ordered the NX300, supposedly it will come with lightroom 4 as well. Still waiting on it...... supposedly being releasing next week (or says B&H's website).

Hopefully it doesn't have some bugs like some people had reported (weird green lines across the screen) and still got to figure out what lens to pick up for it beyond the 20-50mm that comes with it. Any recommendations? Going to China next month and probably be in HK/guangzhou most of the time so... something appropriate for cities.

Both the 30mm and the 20mm pancakes seem to be pretty good value. I would get the 30/2.0 to use in the evening.

Guangzhou is going to be very smoggy in the non-thunderstorm days. Last I was there I could hardly see the tip of the TV tower. So I would definitely get an evening lens.

If you have spare money, get the 60/2.8, its good price for a portrait lens.

whatever7 fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 12, 2013

Eirgen
Jan 29, 2010
I'll probably get the 30mm/2 after playing around with the camera when/if I get it. This camera is quickly approaching the cost of the airplane ticket :/

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic GX-1. Amazon.jp sells this for 33.000yen (~$340! it's $599 at BH!) with the pancake 14-42mm lens and I was going to add the EVF to it as well.
I got a friend in Japan lined up to buy and ship it for me, but has anyone here bought cameras in Japan and know if they got multi language menus by default? (Or do I have to firmware flashing poo poo)

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ImplicitAssembler posted:

I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Panasonic GX-1. Amazon.jp sells this for 33.000yen (~$340! it's $599 at BH!) with the pancake 14-42mm lens and I was going to add the EVF to it as well.
I got a friend in Japan lined up to buy and ship it for me, but has anyone here bought cameras in Japan and know if they got multi language menus by default? (Or do I have to firmware flashing poo poo)

According to people on xitek yes you have to flash english language yourself.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Ask your friend to go into a camera store and check it personally.

I just bought a olympus EPM2 in Japan and while shopping for cameras, I noted:

-Nearly all olympus EVIL cameras have english menus including EPM2, EM5 and EPL5
-The canon dslrs did not have english menu while the canon s110 did have english
-None of the sony cameras, the NEX 5R, 6, 7 or the HX30V had english menus

I did not check any panasonic cameras so definitely ask your friend to check.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I just checked my UK GF5 and it has the following languages:

English
German
French
Spanish
Italian
Chinese

No Japanese - so I guess that is a different firmware.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I have a Sandisk Ultra class 10 32gb Micro SD card which came with an adapter to make it full SD size.

Is there any reason not to use it in my OMD using the adapter?

I wouldn't normally consider it but for certain shoots it would be handy to be able to pull the card out and put it straight in to my tablet for viewing the pictures with the subjects.

I've always assumed that any micro or mini SD operates fine as a full SD once it's in a good adapter but not sure if that's wrong and it might affect the speed or something.

Thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Those adapters are literally just pin to pin connections. There's no circuitry inside, so it will be the same speed with as without the adapter. It'll be fine :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Those adapters are literally just pin to pin connections. There's no circuitry inside, so it will be the same speed with as without the adapter. It'll be fine :)

Does Monster make an adapter? I'd like to get that speed boost and virus protection.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.
I'm new to the MILC scene and I just purchased a NEX-6 with the 16-50mm lens. I've been having some focus related issues with this setup. It seems that the camera can't intelligently choose what to focus on when doing multi point AF. Example: person in the foreground looking at the camera, multi af lights up several points on the person and the area behind the person. Picture comes out focused on the area behind the person. There are other examples where multi af will put points up all over but picks the "wrong" subject to ultimately focus on. It's subtle so it's hard to confirm in-camera but its there. Overall, this camera just cant seem to focus as well as im used to, even with stationary subjects. I read about focus issues with these cameras but the discussion was about the focus speed of the AF, not misfocusing. The camera always confirms focus, its just wrong sometimes. My last camera was a Nikon D60 with only 3 AF points so I just kept it locked to the center AF point and rarely had a misfocus. Does the same apply here or am I missing something?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I have a 6, but I don't have that lens. I only have the sigma 19mm. I have noticed the multipoint AF misses my intended subject, so mostly I use the single movable focus point. I'm some what underwhelmed with the AF on the sigma, and always though the camera would shine with the phase detect on the 16-50mm or another lens that supports it. Are you using the hybrid mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Does the 6 have a touchscreen? It is super useful with spot focus because you just frame the shot, touch you focus point and shoot. In particular I like it when doing portraits on the fly. (This is on the 5N btw)