Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Jeoh posted:

Is this some kind of meta griefing?
Every thread that says the magic word three times brings the curse of the DOTA infestation on itself. There's no containment in the world that could prevent that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
HOW TO GRIEF DOTA: ~3 Easy Steps~

1. Pick this guy.
2. Go in lane and wait until level 6. Make sure to have at least one point in your Tether (first skill, Q) and one in your Relocate. (ultimate, R)
3. When level 6, get tethered to a particularly rear end in a top hat-y member of your team.
4. Put them on this cliff:

located here:

5. Enjoy your low-priority queue while you play a better game.

falconry
Oct 9, 2012
It happened before I started playing the game, but you could actually grief people in League for a short time without intentionally playing lovely. There's a /laugh command that you can do in game that causes your player character to laugh, obviously enough. That in itself can cause enemies to go into a blind rage to make mistakes and end up dying for it. Normally, though, it can only be heard by others in your immediate vicinity. The Sad Robot costume for the Amumu character had a bug where everyone on the entire map could hear your already obnoxious laughter. The LoL community being what it is, it could send your enemies and teammates alike into caps-lock hysterics. The one video I've seen where someone's done it, it took one time for caps lock to show up in all-chat and the second time a bit later for someone to threaten a report to be banned. So apparently you didn't even have to spam it for it to piss people off.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've never played this game, but the wiki you linked said that when the spell runs out you return to where you started, and it only lasts like 12 seconds.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Vib Rib posted:

I've never played this game, but the wiki you linked said that when the spell runs out you return to where you started, and it only lasts like 12 seconds.

When tether runs out, only you will be sent back, the victim stays where it was placed.

Polka_Rapper
Jan 22, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

To clarify, it teleports you, and anyone Tethered to you. There's a 12 second countdown before you return to your starting point. All you have to do is break the tether and they won't come back with you.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I didn't have FRAPS up and I don't know the screenshot key, but I made a Thatcher joke in Uncharted Waters Online tonight and by the end of my baiting I had multiple people calling Nelson Mandela an evil terrorist. Oh politics in MMOs, will you ever fail to entertain?

Alright, since apparently no one else is going to ask: what was the joke?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

CraigK posted:

1. Pick this guy.
2. Go in lane and wait until level 6. Make sure to have at least one point in your Tether (first skill, Q) and one in your Relocate. (ultimate, R)
3. When level 6, get tethered to a particularly rear end in a top hat-y member of your team.
4. Put them on this cliff:

located here:

5. Enjoy your low-priority queue while you play a better game.

I mean, that's not exactly hard to escape if you're not terrible. Courier a teleport scroll out then check the "Disable Help" box to keep it from happening again. Wisp griefing isn't particularly original or hard to stop (and the more fun grief is to warp them into the enemy fountain, anyway)

The better grief is to grab four friends, everyone gets Dagon (an item that gives you a nuke on a moderate cooldown), refuse to buy boots (an item that makes you run faster), then the five of you stroll around pretending to be Southern Gentlemen, shooting those drat Yankees with your muskets and talking about how the women back home make better sweet tea than these confounded Northerners. You'll almost certainly lose, but drat if it isn't fun to do and funnier than hell.

Regarding the DotA/LoL forever war, I have no problem with LoL players (I've played about 1500 games of it and got pretty good before bouncing back to DotA when DotA 2 released), I have a problem with Riot, for reasons I won't go into because it would lead into an endless argument. Most DotA players I know don't really give a poo poo if people play League, we just dislike Riot for actively trying to piss on our game.

Magres fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 11, 2013

WreckSov
Aug 26, 2011
All this dotalike talk is griefing me.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

WreckSov posted:

All this dotalike talk is griefing me.

The trouble with DotA-likes/MOBAs/ARTSes in a griefing context is that the general community is extremely twitchy and petulant. This means that any big griefs are basically a waste of your time, because the amount of rage brought on by a clever, arduous grief in TF2 (for example) can just be ignited by pressing the wrong button, once (or pressing the right buttons, but speaking Russian). Additionally the game's kind of intensely gone over, so griefing potential is minimal.

That's not to say you can't manage to pull off a nice grief, but the game itself, and its community, is so tightly wound that there's not enough payoff for the effort required.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

CraigK posted:

1: Play Tiny (Little guy made of rock who gets progressively bigger)
2: Hurl your allies into harms way (Tiny has a skill where he can grab an ally and throw them at an enemy, as you'd imagine this is incredibly easy to abuse)
3: Laugh

FTFY

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nobody gives a gently caress about LoL or DOTA except for the retarded manchildren who play those games (full disclosure: I was heavily into Tides of Blood, the precursor to the original DOTA, way back when I too was a retarded manchild)

Hey, so how about people who make retarded youtube channels and try to describe pathetic attempts at griefing? Here's one for Dark Souls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DYlC1XPOZ0

Highlights:
1) Use the Dark Hand to steal humanity from players... which is exactly what the Dark Hand was designed for

2) Manipulate level geometry, to absolutely no consequence at all

3) Getting the player to attack an NPC is actually pretty funny, although the video poster still puts more importance on NPCs than they actually have (the undead merchant, for instance, isn't actually useful for anything, so getting a player to attack him is kind of stupid)

4) Getting the player to kill the best the master pyromancy trainer

And some more fun with Chameleon: hide as an inanimate object and then one-shot players with a huge gently caress-off spell. Using the Channeler's Trident so that you can dance around like an idiot jester is just icing on the cake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sedA0eCBagk

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

QuarkJets posted:

Nobody gives a gently caress about LoL or DOTA except for the retarded manchildren who play those games (full disclosure: I was heavily into Tides of Blood, the precursor to the original DOTA, way back when I too was a retarded manchild)

Because I am a massive sperglord, Tides of Blood was TFT, DotA came around in RoC, and Aeon of Strife on Starcraft was the precursor to all of it. :spergin: The genre as a whole was pretty fun until the community became toxic.

For content: Pubbies in the new FF14 don't seem to understand that mobs are now shared. The exp, the drops, quest credit, etc. You each get your own share of the critter, and it isn't 'divided' in any fashion as far as I can tell. I helped a guy out and he started frothing at the mouth for me attacking his stuff. He wouldn't listen to a drat word I said, so... I followed him. And I helped him! :v: Boy let me tell you I helped him kill things for a good 10-15 minutes while he spewed some of the worst filth I've seen from a person in a long time, culminating in the usual threats of reporting and banning. :downs: Considering the game is now sorta designed to freely work together and help others (see: GW2-esque), he is going to have a lot of future frustration.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
I think every game designer nowadays looks back on Everquest as an example on how to design a game that is *NOT* friendly to griefers.

One of our interesting exploits...

In Kelethin, a starting village full of player characters, we created our own bank by demolishing the old one.

We would first start by removing the regular NPC banker, by casting a low-level attack spell, then kiting the banker to a tree-clearing hump where the banker would get permanently stuck until either killed or resetted by a GM.

Next, we would use our level 1 enchanter characters (4 of us) to create signs, footstools, tables, chairs, blinds and wooden walls from their disguised corpses. These objects prohibited other players from walking past them, so we arranged them in a maze-like fashion in front of bank so players could only march in - single file. It also gave the bank a whole new facelift.

We then had 2 of us man the kiosks we built in front of the maze, welcoming new players to "The *NEW* bank of Kelethin". Once players navigated the lineup maze, they were then greeted by a 3rd player whom was a spitting image of the regular banker - as close as we could get to clothing style - and was even named the same (the game did not do a name check back then) thus acting as a doppleganger.

Surprisingly, many people fell for it, giving our "banker" character random items *even though the banking / trade interface was slightly different. Our assumption is that, perhaps, they thought it was a special GM event of sorts. We did tell people that it was a new BETA update, so some must have fallen for it.

Sadly, we let the immature part of our selves get the better of us, and when people deposited items, we would /tell them "YOINK". The smart thing to do would have been to play it cool and we would have ended up perhaps with more items.

This all ended when a GM arrived, viewed what it was we were doing - paused in disbelief, and flat out exclaimed "What the F*** is going on here?!" in the /shout channel.

(This was back on the ECI server, circa 1999). When I restore my old hard drive, I'll have to upload pictures taken of these events.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

3) Getting the player to attack an NPC is actually pretty funny, although the video poster still puts more importance on NPCs than they actually have (the undead merchant, for instance, isn't actually useful for anything, so getting a player to attack him is kind of stupid)

4) Getting the player to kill the best the master pyromancy trainer
Isn't he the guy who sells repair powder? And like, one other mildly useful thing you can't get elsewhere.

Killing the better of the two total pyromancy trainers is a decent trick I guess.

And using the Dark Hand on somebody is less "greifing" and more "griefing yourself or a masterful display of skill", thing is hard as hell to actually land.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zereth posted:

Isn't he the guy who sells repair powder? And like, one other mildly useful thing you can't get elsewhere.

Killing the better of the two total pyromancy trainers is a decent trick I guess.

And using the Dark Hand on somebody is less "greifing" and more "griefing yourself or a masterful display of skill", thing is hard as hell to actually land.

Repair powder can also be purchased from an NPC in Oolacile, standing practically next to the bonfire (and therefore easier to access)

He sells a key, but he also drops the key if you kill him

He sells the soapstone that lets you leave messages for other players to see, but he also drops that if you kill him

He sells the bottomless box, a very useful item storage item, but the next merchant NPC that you meet sells it, too

He does sell Lloyd's talismans, which are great for PvP. There's another NPC who sells them, but most players will kill that NPC for his armor set I guess

Killing the male undead merchant also rewards you with a pretty awesome sword for new characters (Uchigatana) that you can't get unless you join a specific covenant and then find a specific NPC, so it's kind of to your advantage to kill him if you're a new player. You get all of the essential stuff (the key and the soapstone), and you can purchase any armor/weapons/etc. that you want from him first before you do so, so it's really an inconsequential "grief"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Vinesauce wants to "ARR PEE" on a G-mod server: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD6XDk4ZxSk

This is Part 1, uploaded back in January: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGe5kcLm-Xo

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

Repair powder can also be purchased from an NPC in Oolacile, standing practically next to the bonfire (and therefore easier to access)
Ahah, I didn't know that. Okay I guess there's nothing you can't buy elsewhere from him at all, good to know.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

QuarkJets posted:

He sells a key, but he also drops the key if you kill him

He sells the soapstone that lets you leave messages for other players to see, but he also drops that if you kill him

He sells the bottomless box, a very useful item storage item, but the next merchant NPC that you meet sells it, too

He does sell Lloyd's talismans, which are great for PvP. There's another NPC who sells them, but most players will kill that NPC for his armor set I guess

Killing the male undead merchant also rewards you with a pretty awesome sword for new characters (Uchigatana) that you can't get unless you join a specific covenant and then find a specific NPC,

YOu then have to exhaust all dialog options with this NPC, then travel to what was at one point the worst area to navigate in order to buy things from them. Pre-Lordvessel, if you didn't have enough souls to get what you wanted (which was a very real possibility because everything he sells is expensive) then you had to climb all the way back out and come back later.

So essentially gently caress that guy, if you want a katana and don't want the Iaito just kill the undead burg merchant. He used to be extremely important but nowadays he doesn't sell anything that somebody in the DLC doesn't also sell, and both DLC merchants are moments away from a bonfire

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
When I play SWTOR I've started to hold people as roleplay hostages during dungeons (or, god forbid, raids). The rage is fantastic.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Another small Dragonrealms grief I remember involved Rock Trolls, which were a fairly popular creature to hunt. They usually spawned holding small trees as weapons, which were very slow and not that great. But if you were fighting one and chopped its arm off, or sometimes just because they didn't spawn with a tree, they would become a "Claw Troll", who hit a lot harder and faster.

So, Warrior Mages have a spell called "Tingle" which will cause a creature or player to drop whatever they're holding onto the ground. Now, this sounds like a recipe for griefing other players into dropping things and taking them, but there was a 30 second window or so where no one else could pick up an item if you dropped it, to prevent this, presumably. But that window didn't apply to monsters, so if you Tingled a Rock Troll and it dropped its weapon, you could grab the weapon before it had time to pick it back up.

In this case, just trying to pick up the Troll's weapon would cause it to disintegrate (a lot of junk creature gear is like this, I'm guessing so it doesn't clutter up hunting areas). So, a dick Warrior Mage could wander the hunting area, Tingling Rock Trolls, grabbing the dropped weapon to make it disintegrate, and then leave, essentially making Rock Troll hunting a lot more dangerous for everyone in the area.

Another grief I only read of somewhere, but I don't remember all the details. Since it's a text based game, a lot of players created elaborate scripts to do mundane skill training. For instance, you could have a script that made you hide, sneak in a direction, unhide, appraise your armor, leave the room and do it all over again. This would end up training Hiding, Sneak, and Appraisal, etc. The reason you want to do this in different rooms is because there's some timed limit to how much experience you can get doing the same task in the same place. There's also be travel scripts, to get from, say, Therin in the north south to the Crossing, a distance of at least a hundred rooms you'd navigate out of by typing in "South", hitting enter, then "Southeast", hitting enter, etc. There were also scripts for things like selling gems, since there were literally dozens of different kinds--typing "Get agate from my gem pouch" , "ask jeweler to appraise my agate", "sell agate to jeweler" , "get zircon from my gem pouch" , etc. got tedious, so a script could basically do all that for you in a minute.

Anyway, so, I heard of a script that advertised itself as a sneaking and stealing xp script, where it would take you around a city, steal from stores, pause in areas for your heat to diminish, etc., all automated. So, there was a pretty big stigma against AFK scripting, or there was in my day anyway, so someone added some commands in this script after an hour or so that took your character to an inn and did the "reroll" command.

Rerolling at an inn means you have basically deleted your character--completely starting them over. I don't even know how to convey how coming back to that would be--this is a game where you get better by practicing your skills, and they often end up getting mind locked, so you have to let them drain to actually gain ranks. There's no way to even just grind indefinitely, since you're not just earning experience like in other MMOs. To get better at a specific weapon type, you have to use that specific weapon type, same with armor, dodging, foraging, everything.

Anyway, I always thought that was such an evil thing to do...I mean, you should absolutely look at a script before you just run it, to make sure there's no shenanigans, but still.

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

Griefers, Join Starfleet Dental today! Do you want:

Organised, comprehensive 24/7 trolling?
A fun, relaxed community?
To destroy your self-respect playing a Star trek themed MMO?

Starfleet Dental is the organisation for you!

Recently Starfleet Dental have been doing our new fun thing.

Stage 1 - The plans are laid out. For those of you who have never played Star Trek Online, a bugship is the most desired ship in the game. Pubbies will go to any length to obtain one. Even, it seems, fly to our local station and perform unusual requests. ESD is the first starbase people visit and usually has hundreds of people there at once.

quote:

[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: okay guys, I'm gonna do the free bugship prank again
[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: because the pubbies thought it was cruel
[GoonTrek] Bigby@castonthedarknes: Oh boy, sounds fun
[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: basically you go to ESD
[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: and say that someone's giving free bugships to the first 5 people who dance in front of them and say CLAIMED
[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: then give the name of someone you don't like
[GoonTrek] Hriss T. Rockthrower Esq.@Trast-SA: make them open trade too

Stage 2 - The trap is sprung! The message below is spammed in all major zones by brave dentaleers simultaneously, resulting in a frantic exodus of gullible pubbies towards Drozana, our local station, and our unsuspecting victim - a pubbie who goes by the name of Deathcharger.

quote:

[Zone] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: *BUGSHIP GIVEAWAY* To celebrate easter we are giving a free bugship to the first 5 people who can find Deathcharger@deathcharger1 on Drozana! Just find him, do a dance then open trade to claim! GOGO!

Moments later, on drozana station:

quote:

[GoonTrek] Hriss T. Rockthrower Esq.@Trast-SA: starting to see a trickle into droz
[GoonTrek] Hriss T. Rockthrower Esq.@Trast-SA: hah two or three at a time rushing in now
[Zone] Scott@jammers19: Is Deathcharger here
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: no
Scorpious Maximous@gotswat does the Robot for Deathcharger.
[GoonTrek] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: haha they found him
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: im being bombarded by traders D:
[GoonTrek] Ah'Khi@deffmuff: Is he in the middle of that blob in the corner?
[Zone] Shadow@CommanderShadow: heh. That's a lot of dancers.

At this point the confused and annoyed Deathcharger is surrounded by at least a dozen people dancing in front of him and opening trade windows.

quote:

[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: what do u want D:
[Zone] Scott@jammers19: We got told you would give us a free Bug ship
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: what?
[Zone] Shadow@CommanderShadow: I came because I was curious what would happen.
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: i give up
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: death, dunno what you got yourself into this time but this is funny
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: go fk urself picard otherwise screw odff!
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: oh and on a side note... free bugs?
[Zone #2] Azazel@emp1591: haha, some dude was telling everyone how you were giving away free bugs
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: i didn't say anything
[Zone #2] Azazel@emp1591: i heard this from ds9
[Zone] Xuan@alaerick: haha I figured as much but hey worth a shot.. now you know who did it
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: lmao
kellic@killgdsdx12345 mixes things up a little!
[Zone] Shadow@CommanderShadow: Someone's over in Serius sector block telling peole since it was Easter, Deathcharger would be giving away 5 free bugs to the first peole who came, danced in front of him, then opened trade.
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: leave me alone im a victim of some douchebag!
Deathcharger@deathcharger1 headbutts Picard.
[GoonTrek] Brick McLargehuge@jxforema: gregor, you magnificent bastard
[Zone #2] Azazel@emp1591: open trade to claim! GOGO!
[Zone] Shadow@CommanderShadow: You've made a lot of friends, Deathcharger.
[Local] Nicolas Skywalker@alnickjn: free bug ship?? GIVE ME !
[Best Friend Tabitha@faxmachine2 raises the roof with Deathcharger.
[Zone] Shadow@CommanderShadow: You should really hide just to annoy people now, Death.
Jeeves@Fencer8 shows Deathcharger his knowledge of a variety of dance styles.
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: I want one!
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: momy
[Local] Gregor Mendel@herpetic: this friendly meetup sponsored by starfleet dental
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: i kill u
[Local] Hriss T. Rockthrower Esq.@Trast-SA: Co-sponsered by Nerds of Prey.
[Zone] kellic@killgdsdx12345: where is my bug ship
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: ya I gota carrier that needs 2 buggs, wheres mine?
[Zone] kellic@killgdsdx12345: Shut up its mine
[Local] Se'Duce@mynameissirmiste: whats all the fuzz about nug ships?
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: idk!
[Local] Phyress@AfroSquirrel: Death is giving free bugshps to whoever dances the longest
Jeeves@Fencer8 shows Deathcharger his knowledge of a variety of dance styles.
[Zone] Azazel@emp1591: oh, it was my dental friends. :P Best troll yet. I salute you dental. :D
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: HELP HARRASMENT
[Zone] Jeeves@Fencer8: wheres the bug????
[Zone] kellic@killgdsdx12345: Come on Big boy where is my bug ship
[Local] Yves@allezy: OK everyone its too early for April Fools
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: deathcharger is said to have dozens of them and he is giving them away....
[Local] Se'Duce@mynameissirmiste: so if i private dance all night for this handsome prince he give me shiny ?
[Zone] Xuan@alaerick: I just had to come see this in action.. too funny
[Zone] Xuan@alaerick: watching him run away from dozens of people chasing him priceless
[Local] Best Friend Tabitha@faxmachine2: WHERE MY BUGSHIP????
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: I DON'T AHVE THE GUY WHO TOLD U I DO IS SOME RANDOM DUMBSHIT
[Zone] Al'iea@dremora420: yea, friend had one... saw it fight and i want one ever since... so since deaths giving free stuff away or suposadly giving free stuff away i was wondering if that was one of those items.
[Zone] Wicked@Saxfire2: give me 1
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: i have a ship for each and everyone of u! its called the go gently caress urself express
[Zone] Wicked@Saxfire2: is he seriously giving thpse out? lol
[Zone] Dude 007@dude007007dude: ill take 1
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: no!
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: idk who the hell told u im ivin u ships but i ain't! i can't get sht right now
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: free my shiny metal rear end!
[Local] Hriss T. Rockthrower Esq.@Trast-SA: Deathcharger your generousity is amazing on this holiest of days.
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: its the 31st everything sucks today because its subnday now go gently caress urself!
[Zone] Anna@killgdsdx12345: you mad bro
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: wat is that a catch frase? u mad bro?
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: ur face is mad bitchster! oh!
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: now leavfe me the hell alone all of u!
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: oh great its the retardd train
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: don't get life
At this point, even the pubbies are trolling him.

quote:

[Zone] Wicked@Saxfire2: new year in 40 seconds
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: its march dumbshit!
[Zone] N'Taly@willmandella: MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: once again its march dumbshit
[Zone] Wicked@Saxfire2: thnx for bug, deathcarger <333
[Zone] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: good bye im going afk
(15 minutes later)
[Local] Deathcharger@deathcharger1: is it over?

All in all, this was a great use of our time. You too could be reaping tears like this! Join Starfleet Dental today!

Do you want to know more?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3540395

WD40 fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Apr 12, 2013

owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
Did you report Deathcharger for swearing?

WD40
Nov 25, 2005

Haam posted:

Did you report Deathcharger for swearing?

Not this time! We were too busy crying with laughter to even take proper screenshots.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal
That Dragonrealms story reminded me of another simple excellent mud grief that arises from abuse of Combat Follow and Rebalanced EXP, two old and semipopular ROM mods. All it requires is you to be significantly higher level than your target.

So normally there's a 'follow' command that makes you follow people around automatically. Combat Follow was a simple mod to this that extended it to the 'flee' combat command (escape from combat by using a random exit in the room) so that if someone fled and you were following them you'd automatically roll a successful flee in the same direction and continue following them.

All you have to do is follow your target (which the target can't block or cancel). Whenever he attacks something you attack it too, forcing the target to split the exp with you. Rebalanced EXP weights exp distribution based on how much each individual person did in combat (and makes playing a healer/buffer actually viable) but in this case all it does is funnel 80% of the kill EXP to you because you ineviably killed whatever the lowbie was attacking in one hit.

Usually it only took 2 or 3 mobs for the target to figure out what was going on and start screaming. Combat Follow removed the one reliable way to get rid of followers other than logging out, so most of the time they'd just rage for a while and disconnect or get smart and attempt to kill something way over their level assuming you'll tank for them (which you don't because they initiated and therefore have the aggro).

For maximum rage you could do this with a Hunter and pick up the normally garbage Butcher skill, which hits for 0.5x normal attack damage but converts the target to a food item if it dies. This type of death however doesn't count as a kill so the target doesn't drop a corpse or give EXP, and the food goes directly to the person who used butcher instead of dropping.

bucketmouse fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 13, 2013

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Oppenheimer posted:

I played DOTA once in like 2006 and joined a NOOBS ONLY game and got banlisted from all Dota for not knowing how to play.

WC3 owned otherwise though, especially the custom game Desert Storm, in which I always nuked the Mecca. Better yet was that a few games had a "probation" that would put you in that cinematic widescreen thing, that you had to CAD to leave.
You were basically guaranteed to get kicked from DotA lobbies if you started downloading the map from the host, even if it was an updated version of some crap you already had.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Drive-bys are a huge part of APB, but there are some weapons sufficiently big and destructive (full-auto shotguns, machineguns, etc) that the game won't let you shoot them out of a window. If you could, you'd just melt everyone around you in seconds.

The recent addition of an equippable car-surfing character mod effectively lifts this restriction, and it came out at about the same time as the easter event, the premise of which is to mug a bunny rabbit and escape with his eggs back to your contact before the whole map guns you down.

Nobody said you had to, though: http://youtu.be/CbcswiJYP8w

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

I figured out, quite by accident, how to grief in Hawken: Play on low average MMR (your skill rating) servers and do well. Alternately, do bad and drag your team down. One in five matches ends in ALL CAPS NEWBIE RAGE. Especially when they're playing whatever mech the forum-dwellers (myself included) have decided is OP and they're all mad that their new OP mech is not in fact a magical death ray. It's just like LoL: All you gotta do to grief is play.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Have some more Wushu. The Beggar school has three skillsets: One focuses on knocking enemies around, one focuses on poison, and one focuses on BOOZE. For those who haven't been following the other Age of Wushu stories, Beggars can vomit wine all over someone, knocking them down and getting them drunk with repeated applications. Drunkenness applies a blur effect to the afflicted's screen and slows their normal movement to a drunken stumble. Of course, once you puke on someone, they're very likely to sword your face in before you can lay down more.

So we get a team going. The following screenshots take place over an hour and a half. Unfortunately I am a bad chronicler, and only got shots from near the beginning and near the end.

Here from left to right we have TwenkyMapes, KIMCHI, and 360.Pro.Begz. TwenkyMapes is charging up his wine-spewing, while the other two dress for success. We go naked partially because your equipment takes durability damage when you die, but mostly because it's just funnier.

A friendly alt helps us further build our stacks of the Drunk buff. This set has an ability that adds wine charges when you block an attack. Above you can see our next target...

Who gets knocked on his rear end, and we catch someone else in our vomit, since the skill is a cone AoE.

Several people take offense, chase us drunkenly down, and murder us, but we're literally right outside the respawn point so we just booze back up and puke on them again. When this gets boring, we go for a blaze of glory.

We booze back up... (Two of these NPCs hate it when you drink near them, one likes it. Reputation with NPCs has esoteric and poorly-understood effects not limited to bonus quests, sweet loot, and wasting all your inventory space.)

And set off...

For the bank! At any given time there's usually a dozen people standing there. Now there's about a dozen people on their rear end.

We reorient to set up crossfire, and someone starts fighting back. Those yin-yangs are a very rare skill, but it sure seemed like it did jack poo poo to us.

And of course we die, but I can see no less than six people in this screenshot alone stumbling around drunk. The efforts of two people for 30 seconds has inconvenienced half a dozen for 10 minutes or more. Most people have no idea how to remove the drunk effect, so they spend that time stumbling about impotently. Slightly smarter ones jump everywhere, because the debuff doesn't affect your aerial movement.

After doing this, I respawned, headed back to the bank, and acted horrified. Including following someone from the bank to the nearby tailor's shop, informing her that she was in no fit state to be sewing.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Just saw Wushu is now open to the public. Two questions, how intensive is it on computers and also why would anyone pick anything but a beggar?

Some dumb idiot
Jun 6, 2012

Step by step
Hop the mountain
Step by step
Hop the ocean
Step by step
Hop the rainbow
I'll be running

Seltzer posted:

Just saw Wushu is now open to the public. Two questions, how intensive is it on computers and also why would anyone pick anything but a beggar?

It's not very intensive.

People pick Schools other than Beggars because other than our Suplexes, our combat styles are fairly weak, and we're very easy to kite assuming the other person doesn't try and jump.

Also it's possible for people to get their Alcohol tolerance up and take forever to get drunk.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Seltzer posted:

If you go into the Mumble channel and say "Man, i think [x] is weak" you will get like 10 goons screaming about how much people who play that school are automatically assholes for using such ludicrously dickish moves. Hell, even me saying "I don't have that much trouble fighting Royal Guards" gets instantaneous "gently caress ROYAL GUARDS gently caress THEM ALL FOREVER!"

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Seltzer posted:

As a Royal Guard, not only am I a proud member of the evil secret police, keeping one jackbooted foot on the neck of China, I also have the complete drunkstick style, allowing me to barf wine over people with greater speed and power than all but the most leveled of beggars.

(Gaining a complete skill set from another school was not easy, quick, or cheap)

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Chain RGs are just the class that can most effectively abuse lag and are thus infuriating to fight. You have to facehug them and lag makes them teleport off when you catch them.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
So what should I play as for maximum griefing potential, I'm not interested in much else. Didn't you say beggars can make poison too?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Time_pants posted:

Alright, since apparently no one else is going to ask: what was the joke?

Some UK player was complaining about patchy internet, so I made a joke about Thatcher's ghost interfering with his wifi since non-rich people enjoying something offended her. They also called her support of Pinochet "made up propaganda", which was pretty funny. A few days ago I also trolled a lolbertarian once another player riled them up on accident by calling Halliburton capitalists, but they were too spergy to troll well since they just kept freaking out over stupid poo poo like me typoing "praxeology" instead of any insults I made. Then I quit playing since despite the interesting concept, the game is boring as poo poo.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 13, 2013

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

Seltzer posted:

So what should I play as for maximum griefing potential, I'm not interested in much else. Didn't you say beggars can make poison too?

Pick school that you think will be interesting and fun to play, every single school in the game is it's own special brand of martial arts ninja assholism capable of reducing both pubbies and goons into incoherent screaming rage about how much bullshit their skill sets are.

If you want school that's powerful early on, Royal Guard and Beggar are both good choices because their set has large amount of CC.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I definitely agree with RG and Beggar having the best instant gratification, but would say if you want to play long term and make a character that will eventually be an invincible Goku, Wudang is your best bet. They're the best base class for making a multiclassing powerhouse monster. If you want to know why, ask in the Wushu thread and we can do mmo math sperging there, I don't want to poo poo up this thread with it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Slappy Moose posted:

This is true. My friend and I, who are both hardcore gamers and game designers, play LOL together sometimes. We like to mix things up by doing ridiculous, unheard of compositions when we lane together. Basically we both take ridiculous champions that are considered underpowered or gimmicky or something, and by combining their abilities we come up with retardedly fun or annoying strategies (like chaining together stuns or self-heals or whatever). Since I don't want to turn this post into a big spergfest, all I'll say is that the majority of the time, our own team will just become livid when they see that we aren't using one of the ~MLG professional gamer sanctioned champion combinations~ or whatever. Then when my friend and I manage to do well everyone else (both the enemies we are killing and the teammates we are helping) get all snotty and refuse to acknowledge that just maybe we have invented a combination that works well, despite it not being listed in one of their big "VALID BOTTOM LANE COMPS" lists.

This reminds me of a somewhat famous TF2 player that's actually formed a team focused on getting good with gimmicky weapons and using unorthodox tactics. The strategy of comp TF2 is mostly seen as concrete, so what these guys do is use weird weapons and unexpected tactics to completely throw people off their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBpqHW7cyR8&hd=1

I've run into Thief in lobbies (pick-up games played in the competitive format with random strangers) and he's played in my PUG group some; people always complain about him. Thief isn't just gimmicking to amuse himself by 'being good at the bad thing.' He really thinks about what he's doing and how he can make those 'bad' weapons work for him. I will say his presence is absolutely toxic to both private pugs and lobbies. Players in the comp format get very mad about dying to something they consider a silly gimmick weapon, leading to teammates blaming/making fun of each other. Inevitably players switch to gimmick weapons as well and all thought of trying to win goes out the window; Thief really is good at ruining pick-up games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spootime
Oct 31, 2010

Sanctum posted:

This reminds me of a somewhat famous TF2 player that's actually formed a team focused on getting good with gimmicky weapons and using unorthodox tactics. The strategy of comp TF2 is mostly seen as concrete, so what these guys do is use weird weapons and unexpected tactics to completely throw people off their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBpqHW7cyR8&hd=1

I've run into Thief in lobbies (pick-up games played in the competitive format with random strangers) and he's played in my PUG group some; people always complain about him. Thief isn't just gimmicking to amuse himself by 'being good at the bad thing.' He really thinks about what he's doing and how he can make those 'bad' weapons work for him. I will say his presence is absolutely toxic to both private pugs and lobbies. Players in the comp format get very mad about dying to something they consider a silly gimmick weapon, leading to teammates blaming/making fun of each other. Inevitably players switch to gimmick weapons as well and all thought of trying to win goes out the window; Thief really is good at ruining pick-up games.

Not so much griefing as it is just playing in a creative style but I've played against this guy in lobbies and he is really good. That being said fan scout is legit as gently caress.

• Locked thread