Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Soonmot posted:

That is one of the bad things about the game. The only weapon stat that matters is damage.

If you play stealth and do basically all headshots then the other stats make a difference, but during the forced combat sections you'd better have some weapons with high damage or you're screwed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

The Pirate Captain posted:

If you play stealth and do basically all headshots then the other stats make a difference, but during the forced combat sections you'd better have some weapons with high damage or you're screwed.

Actually, doing headshots from stealth specifically makes everything except damage pointless. All you need to do is calmly line up a perfect headshot and fire. You will not miss and you just want max damage at that point.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
That and damage being the only stat that's relevant when you use chain shot as well.

e; oh wait that falls under forced combat situations :downs:

Kainser fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 27, 2013

The Pirate Captain
Jun 6, 2006

Avast ye lubbers, lest ye be scuppered!

Mistikman posted:

Actually, doing headshots from stealth specifically makes everything except damage pointless. All you need to do is calmly line up a perfect headshot and fire. You will not miss and you just want max damage at that point.

I found that accuracy and stability let me setup headshots faster, which came in handy if I was around a corner with nowhere else to hide and a guard was about to spot me and in other similar situations. Also, without fail, if I landed a headshot, the enemy died, so afaik damage makes absolutely no difference to headshots.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Yeah on regular difficulty I found a pistol headshot will down almost anyone regardless of damage. Late in the game you'll get some heavily armoured guys who have a sliver of life left, but using steel core rounds solves that.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

I found that accuracy and stability let me setup headshots faster, which came in handy if I was around a corner with nowhere else to hide and a guard was about to spot me and in other similar situations. Also, without fail, if I landed a headshot, the enemy died, so afaik damage makes absolutely no difference to headshots.

That's when you pop invisibility and stab them in the face.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

No, that's when you use your thirty second invisibility and punch them all in the throat while their friends stand around wondering why everyone is choking and dying.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

So how does Shaheed, of all people, know that Halbech are sending a missile to, presumably, kill him/ 'Mikey'? If he knew that, why wasn't he somewhere else?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

So how does Shaheed, of all people, know that Halbech are sending a missile to, presumably, kill him/ 'Mikey'? If he knew that, why wasn't he somewhere else?

If I were to guess, the moment Mike told him why he was there, he made some educated guesswork since he'd had dealings with the company before and had possibly seen them operate.

Or he was just being cynical and got lucky because he's really into casting his enemies as motivated murderers.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So a weapon suggestion for my next game would be appreciated. Last time, I used a silenced pistol with tranquilliser rounds, while trying to alert enemies as little as possible. This time I want the opposite. So an ugly, unsubtle, loud weapon would be good. I considered the SMGs because of Bullet Storm, but the fact that you lose your clips when it finishes makes it a lot less appealing, so maybe something else might be better. Which do people prefer for that kind of play?

Also, about the scandalous information you can pick up and send to someone, what's the effects/difference of selling it on the market or blackmailing Halbech with it?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
SMGs are actually surprisingly fun once you get past the first few missions and start being able to carry more ammo.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Project1 posted:

Also, about the scandalous information you can pick up and send to someone, what's the effects/difference of selling it on the market or blackmailing Halbech with it?
I'm reasonably certain the only difference is that one gives you more money.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

My interpretation is this:
Send it to Scarlet if you want the world to know.
Send it to black market if you want to gently caress with Halbech.
Send it to Halbech if you want money.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Actually, I just realised that the shotgun lets you set people on fire. Does that work out well? Can you get enough of those shells to make it a regular thing?

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
A Bullestorm and Brilliance combo is almost as grossly overpowered as chain-shot. But Shotgun rear end in a top hat is the one true path to take. You should be able to buy more than enough incendiary rounds for the shotty on the black market.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Project1 posted:

Actually, I just realised that the shotgun lets you set people on fire. Does that work out well? Can you get enough of those shells to make it a regular thing?

It's not great for damage but it instantly disables them, so a good strategy is set everyone on fire then run up and drop kick them.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Scorchy posted:

It's not great for damage but it instantly disables them, so a good strategy is set everyone on fire then run up and drop kick them.

Oh, you mean where you can stomp on enemies on the ground and it knocks them out? Too non-lethal. I might give the SMGs a shot, then.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Project1 posted:

Oh, you mean where you can stomp on enemies on the ground and it knocks them out? Too non-lethal. I might give the SMGs a shot, then.

SMGs is great if you get the Toughness perks too. Then you activate everything at once, ignore cover, ignore aim (cause your reticle is the size of the screen anyway), and just pretend you're in a John Woo movie.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hank Morgan posted:

A Bullestorm and Brilliance combo is almost as grossly overpowered as chain-shot.
Not really. I mean, it's good for everything up to bosses, but at that point it just doesn't do the damage you need.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Project1 posted:

theshim posted:

I'm reasonably certain the only difference is that one gives you more money.
I believe it also changes one of the news reports that plays in the final safehouse before the last mission. If you keep blackmailing them Halbech will be thriving, while if you keep sending news to Scarlet or the black market they'll be under heavy scrunity and losing a lot of money.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
My favorite parts about Alpha Protocol:

- Not being able to change your facial hair until you get to a locker. You have to equip your beard.
- The sheer hilarity of the pistol special move, where you fire once and expel 2-5 rounds in a blindfire with pinpoint accuracy.
- The collection of hats that don't fit the genre whatsoever. I don't want a fedora or anything, but a backwards baseball cap is funny as hell.

I played this game as Archer: The Game. I bought it for 3.95 from Gamestop months ago.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Mar 1, 2013

Dec 26, 2012

Dorroile posted:

SMGs are actually surprisingly fun once you get past the first few missions and start being able to carry more ammo.

SMG is my favorite gun skill tree for sure. I just wish each level of bulletstorm had about 5 more seconds on it because it doesn't really become a thing until you can spray HV rounds at loving everything for 10-20 seconds and not actually spend a single round.

Hank Morgan posted:

A Bullestorm and Brilliance combo is almost as grossly overpowered as chain-shot. But Shotgun rear end in a top hat is the one true path to take. You should be able to buy more than enough incendiary rounds for the shotty on the black market.

The only thing remotely as overpowered as chain shot is shadow operative.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Best Way to use Bulletstorm is fire your SMGs until you have low ammo, then immediately activate it (since you have to reload after it's done, anyway). It's great to unload an inexplicable 200 rounds out of each firearm.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Project1 posted:

You can shoot them again while they're on the ground. Or throw incendiary grenades at them. That's fun too.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Reynolds posted:

My interpretation is this:
Send it to Scarlet if you want the world to know.
Send it to black market if you want to gently caress with Halbech.
Send it to Halbech if you want money.

I thought sending it Scarlet and Halbech was basically the same effect, except money. Black market gets it out to the world. I never heard of Scarlet actually publishing any stories based on what you send her.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Sending it to Scarlet is also an easy way to boost her relationship with you, but you get way less money for doing so.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Firstborn posted:

My favorite parts about Alpha Protocol:

- Not being able to change your facial hair until you get to a locker. You have to equip your beard.
- The sheer hilarity of the pistol special move, where you fire once and expel 2-5 rounds in a blindfire with pinpoint accuracy.
- The collection of hats that don't fit the genre whatsoever. I don't want a fedora or anything, but a backwards baseball cap is funny as hell.

I played this game as Archer: The Game. I bought it for 3.95 from Gamestop months ago.

If you aren't wearing the ushanka (is that the word?) in Russia, you're doing it wrong.

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
I just finished my second playthrough last night. Holy poo poo, this game man. Mina is a double agent, Scarlet was Sung's assassin, and Parker turned on Marburg. If this were any other game, it'd feel like the writers were just pulling plot twists out of their asses. At this point, Obsidian could poo poo into a game box and sell it to me for $60 and I would happily gobble it up.

Also, I did some thinking about what exactly Alpha Protocol 2 could be about. I looked through Westridge and Marburg's dossiers again, and after reading those, I could definitely see a prequel showing how Marburg joined Halbech or Westridge joined Alpha Protocol.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
An even better way to deal with Parker is to find out his involvement in Marburg's past and tell Marburg about it. Marburg will not take it well.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.
Okay... I've been playing this game for a while, but it's only today that I found something that -might- be gold during the briefing for Parker's bonus mission. Yet perhaps I would deserve ridicule for making a playthrough on what is probably a bug.

When Thorton is asking about retrieving the package with high Technical skill, he acidly comments that the encryption on it is like putting an electric fence around a dog kennel. Parker then explains that the package also contains the location of the facility, and that many people would pay good money for it. Hence the encryption.

My point is this... would it be worth a playthrough to see if keeping hold of that datapad alters the ending? :D

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by

trevalyan posted:

My point is this... would it be worth a playthrough to see if keeping hold of that datapad alters the ending? :D

I did it on accident, when I took a wrong turn and went to Westridge instead of Parker. Maybe I didn't do the right things, but it made no difference for me except for the missing dossier.

trevalyan
May 13, 2009

Karma is often harder on the woman, etc.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

I did it on accident, when I took a wrong turn and went to Westridge instead of Parker. Maybe I didn't do the right things, but it made no difference for me except for the missing dossier.

Nice. I wouldn't have ordinarily asked, but the possibility of leading an assault on the Graybox without turning yourself in? You can't put it past this game. Especially as I don't think most characters would be set up to get this line ordinarily. I really, really wish keeping the datapad could be an insurance policy for us like that... it'd be worth failing the optional assignment with Parker, even more if he figured out that you took and kept it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

trevalyan posted:

Nice. I wouldn't have ordinarily asked, but the possibility of leading an assault on the Graybox without turning yourself in? You can't put it past this game. Especially as I don't think most characters would be set up to get this line ordinarily. I really, really wish keeping the datapad could be an insurance policy for us like that... it'd be worth failing the optional assignment with Parker, even more if he figured out that you took and kept it.

It would be really cool, but Mike wouldn't know it was important, even if he had the ability to decrypt it. Without returning it to Parker, he has no real reason to think that it's worth messing with; he'd probably just think it was junk data for him to find, or maybe next week's cafeteria menu. Alpha Protocol seems like the kind of place that would encrypt those.

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 9, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Playing this again, got through Saudi Arabia and now starting Taipei. No gimmicks, just inexperienced recruit Michael Thorton bumbling into a massive global conspiracy. I'm trying not to do a stealth run (because I always end up that way), and instead I'm just killing my way through with an assault rifle, knocking out anyone who gets in range, and just kind of responding off-the-cuff with whatever tone I think Thorton would be using next; I love that switching between the three tones doesn't make you sound like a schizophrenic a la Mass Effect. Calling Darcy out for being a whiny bitch when he keeps complaining that you got his mission but then thanking him for the assist a sentence later just felt like natural banter. My one goal this time is to actually sleep with Madison, in my four or five other playthroughs I never managed it, even when I was really trying to. No ridiculous sex achievement for me :(

Random question; in the past I've ignored or skimmed them, but I'm actually reading the dossiers I picked up this time around, more for the interesting background info than any real usefulness (it's been awhile, but I still vaguely recall how to piss off or impress most of the contacts). I bought one for Hong Shi, but it's not on my list, and as far as I can tell, the dossier on the Triads that you get right away doesn't even update. Bug or am I crazy?

Also, why does Nasri have a rep listing? I don't think you can actually influence him in any way.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Wolfsheim posted:

Also, why does Nasri have a rep listing? I don't think you can actually influence him in any way.

He's not the only one where reputation score isn't important. However, you don't know that the first playthrough of the game, and it wouldn't do the game any favors to spoil a character's (lack of) importance due to a menu.

Also the game went through multiple rewrites and had a pretty disorganized development cycle so it's entirely possible that he had a bigger role earlier on on development.

Acute Grill fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Apr 10, 2013

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Project1 posted:

So a weapon suggestion for my next game would be appreciated. Last time, I used a silenced pistol with tranquilliser rounds, while trying to alert enemies as little as possible. This time I want the opposite. So an ugly, unsubtle, loud weapon would be good. I considered the SMGs because of Bullet Storm, but the fact that you lose your clips when it finishes makes it a lot less appealing, so maybe something else might be better. Which do people prefer for that kind of play?

Sending it to Scarlet boosts your rep with her and gives you a little money, but the information doesn't get out.
Blackmailing Halbech gives you the largest amount of money (15 grand), but the information doesn't get out, though Halbech is mentioned to be having some financial troubles in the ending if you do it enough.
Selling it on the black market will give you plenty of money (10 grand) and Halbech will be facing investigations in the ending if you do it enough.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Wolfsheim posted:

I bought one for Hong Shi, but it's not on my list, and as far as I can tell, the dossier on the Triads that you get right away doesn't even update. Bug or am I crazy?
I'm pretty sure Hong Shi's is a bug. When you buy the dossier, you're actually buying the secret fact, but it won't display until you get your first 'real' dossier one by meeting him. I don't think they intended for you to buy the secret fact from the Clearinghouse, because it's something you learn during the mission itself.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Hannibal Smith posted:

I'm pretty sure Hong Shi's is a bug. When you buy the dossier, you're actually buying the secret fact, but it won't display until you get your first 'real' dossier one by meeting him. I don't think they intended for you to buy the secret fact from the Clearinghouse, because it's something you learn during the mission itself.

Yeah, this appeared to be the case. Hong Shi's whole deal seems kind of weirdly thrown in, honestly; I don't know why I should be upset with him for working with Al-Samad when I am too at that point. Still, it's a fun detour, and it's weird and funny when a bunch of gangsters show up to aid Mike Thorton and his G22 spy squad at the gardens.

Just made it to Rome; anyone know why I seem to be missing the safehouse trophy for the Saudi Arabia boss guy (a glass eye, iirc)? I seem to have all the others up to this point. At least I have his golden AK; when you actually pump the assault rifle skill, that thing is a beast and the accuracy/recoil/etc penalties are largely nonexistent.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I don't think the boss guy gives you anything except the gun. You get the glass eye or beret from Nasri.

What I never got about Hong Shi is that you go into his mission knowing he's been doing business with Al-Samad (you even say "I'm a friend of the sheik" when you meet him) so how is finding out that he's working with Al-Samad a surprise when you find it out during the Triad mission? I guess just put it down to the fact that parts of the game didn't get the fine -tooth comb treatment they really should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Wolfsheim posted:

Just made it to Rome; anyone know why I seem to be missing the safehouse trophy for the Saudi Arabia boss guy (a glass eye, iirc)? I seem to have all the others up to this point.
For some reason the glass eye only shows up in the Moscow safehouse.

• Locked thread