Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

FreakyZoid posted:

"A part of the market I don't operate in is doomed" - Game Developers, forever.

If I could pay :10bux: to make this a perpetual thread title, I would. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
Squeenix's estimates being off is also possiblye the result of a Japanese publisher relatively new to global markets. It sounded like they were shooting for CoD numbers for an action adventure title, and the only way that makes sense is if they're viewing it through the lens of a Japanese market where action adventure games are much more popular than first person shooters.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Resident Evil 6 crossed 6 million units (selling more in like a month than RE5 sold in it's entire lifetime) and was still considered a disappointment.

icking fudiot
Jul 28, 2006

Paniolo posted:

Squeenix's estimates being off is also possiblye the result of a Japanese publisher relatively new to global markets. It sounded like they were shooting for CoD numbers for an action adventure title, and the only way that makes sense is if they're viewing it through the lens of a Japanese market where action adventure games are much more popular than first person shooters.

Square has a very strong western presence these days, both in Montreal and London (formerly Eidos) so I don't think you can chalk it up to that.

They made a calculated bet on hitting a Metacritic target and it paying off. They're not bombing, but the reason this comes up is they're basically saying that their bet to hit a quality bar and be rewarded fiscally didn't pay off like expected. You also need to factor in that they're basically rebooting an MMO right now (FF14) which can't be cheap, so missing targets is harder to absorb..

DancingMachine posted:

3.6 million units is almost certainly profitable for Tomb Raider (unless their budget was comically huge and they took 5 years to make it... maybe they did, actually), but it's not SO profitable that it keeps the company afloat. And yeah, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman probably did lose money.

Napkin math: $60 gross unit, $35 net after retail and platform holder cut (bizdev guy, correct me if I'm wrong), 35 * 3.6 mil = $126 million. I started writing some numbers for development and marketing cost here but there is a LOT of guess work. I come up with around $75 million.

Assume the marketing spend for a game of this scope is in the tens of millions and $75 million suddenly isn't so crazy.

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."
Off topic derail.

Flexi-time fukken owns. :byodood:

/derail.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Am I crazy for wanting to create a video game commune where we just make the games we want to make? You folks can live on Tesco value food right?

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's just like real life.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Am I crazy for wanting to create a video game commune where we just make the games we want to make? You folks can live on Tesco value food right?

You mean like this? http://lagamespace.org/alpha/

GeeCee
Dec 16, 2004

:scotland::glomp:

"You're going to be...amazing."

Like a goddamn king. :v:

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Sigma-X posted:

The big issue with publicly traded companies is that you need to play the stock market game of having great years, not great products. Square's next year is going to look beautiful, as they're going to have 3+million units of Tomb Raider sold without paying any costs for those, as those have been assigned to the previous year. But this year looks like a bath, because they aren't posting a ROI on the Tomb Raider costs because they only have 2 weeks of sales.

Couldn't they just play the EA game of, "Well it shipped in this quarter/year so revenue going out 6 months from it will be attributed to that quarter/year."?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

FreakyZoid posted:

If people will stop buying AAA because the graphics stop being so good then the $15 indie game market is hosed.

"A part of the market I don't operate in is doomed" - Game Developers, forever.
Different market expectations. The set of gamers that buy $60 games generally includes those that buy $15 games, but the reverse is not true. The market you'd lose outright is some percentage of the increasingly casual players that were attracted in the last 5-10 years. Some percentage of the remainder would still want to AAA game, but might feel that the visual splash is no longer up to their standards. $15 downloadables would be fine either way.

... and I'll trade you pithy one liner for pithy one liner: "The market that I work in is fine. There is nothing wrong. <adjusts blinders>". Though me being indie right this second doesn't mean I'll stay out of AAA forever, mind.

Could well be it'll be fine, too. Hollywood's budgets certainly keep going up, and somehow they keep finding new ways to manage it - maybe IAP integration into next gen consoles will turn out to be our market analog to DVD sales, or whatever. I just hope it doesn't erode game value further. That might gently caress the $15 market, and leave only a shambling mass of casual F2P AAA in its wake... though the idea seems overly post-apocalyptic.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Apr 11, 2013

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

The rumored Bioshock: Infinite numbers are ... yeah. 100MM dev budget + 100MM marketing.

Seluin
Jan 4, 2004

Aliginge posted:

Can you direct me to this? I'd be interested in supporting it.

Sure thing. The group is located here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/6628203394/ (I think that link'll work)

However, it's a closed group and requires people be added to it manually. You can either request an invite from Brian Rubin or just send me a ping and I think I can invite you :P

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Shalinor posted:

The set of gamers that buy $60 games generally includes those that buy $15 games, but the reverse is not true.
Can you source this? Wondering if it's industry-wide or pc/console-specific.

(Also I work in mobile, not AAA)

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

FreakyZoid posted:

Nah, no source, that's one of those "conventional wisdom" things that, while it seems accurate, could well be a mountain of bullshit. If it's accurate, it's industry-wide - it's just the observation of the divide between casual and core gamers. The two groups just happen to fall into different pricing brackets for each platform, and casual users in one market could be core in another.

For the past generation, console sales numbers have grown largely through the increasing simplification and streamlining of games in order to win an increasingly casual market. After they're won over, though, I don't have the data for their buying habits - my understanding is that they tend to play a small stable of games and their sequels, with little engagement beyond that. Basically - it's the observation that Halo / GTA / Mass Effect-focused players probably aren't touching XBLA/PSN, breakthrough videos involving famous rappers notwithstanding.

... also, oh, apologies - I kept on picturing you making Metroid (I think?) games, but I suppose you moved on from that years ago. I guess some people probably still picture me making LEGO games :sigh:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Apr 11, 2013

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Sigma-X posted:

A friend of a friend told me that the real issue is that while they're easily going to hit their 5-6 million, and hit a reasonable ROI, Square is disappointed because their three pillars for the year were Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, and Tomb Raider, and one of those went budget quickly (Sleeping Dogs), one of those was a franchise nobody has given a poo poo about for a long time (Hitman), and the other one is doing amazing but only had two weeks of sales for the fiscal year, meaning it can't make up for the loss on Hitman.
The Square-Enix bit of Square have had a miserable 7 or so years (my wife knows people who work/worked for them in Yokohama and those that haven't jumped yet want to) ending up with crazy amounts spent on FF14 / DQX with very little to show for. If they were really that upset with the actual Eidos part of the company they wouldn't be promoting people. It DOES look like they were upset with US marketing though, as all 3 Eidos titles undersold in the US compared to the EU. Square have been potentially hosed for a long long time looking at the sales of their Japanese software, in Japan, it's just that they've had an ongoing windfall from Final Fantasy XI to cover up their weak spots. I wouldn't take what happens with them as a sign of what is going on in the Japanese industry, let alone overseas.

mastermind2004
Sep 14, 2007

devilmouse posted:

The rumored Bioshock: Infinite numbers are ... yeah. 100MM dev budget + 100MM marketing.
$200 million seems reasonable for the budget for Infinite. The costs in AAA just keep going up. I'll be curious to see how the next-gen console transition goes. Are AAA titles going to be targeting current and next-gen platforms at the same time, or are they going to just drop the legacy consoles and go next-gen only?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Yeah, but better because it's Scottish.

devilmouse posted:

Levine immediately called bullshit on these figures. They're analyst assumptions as per usual.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

Man, it's not a real commune unless we grow our own food and keep animals. Which I would totally be down with.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I don't trust QA around livestock.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

PRJ_COMMUNE-183245: Cow cannot right itself after being tipped 5/5 100% repro

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
I'm more concerned about the implied bestiality.

THAT'S RIGHT QA! YOU ARE ALL DOG FUCKERS.

No exception.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The QA wouldn't actually be allowed near the livestock. They'd be sent pictures of livestock, which they'd use to guess at what problems the livestock might have. Occasionally, an especially driven QA person would send back over a photoshopped version with laser eyes as an example of the innovation they'd bring to the production team.

No exception.
I... really wouldn't want to see those repro steps :stare:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 11, 2013

waffledoodle
Oct 1, 2005

I believe your boast sounds vaguely familiar.
Expected: Cow to not be a horribly designed piece of poo poo

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

No exception.

Hey! I take offen...ah goddamn it.

AmazonTony
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the Marketing Manager for Amazon's Digital Video Games group. Feel free to ask me questions about upcoming and current deals. We'll also be doing community giveaways, Q&As with developers, and Podcasts with ++GoodGames.

FreakyZoid posted:

I can source this and it is true.

Source: I sell both types of games and my job is to use more data to make business decisions.

emoticon
May 8, 2007
;)

Levine immediately called bullshit on these figures. They're analyst assumptions as per usual.

Yeah $100 million seems way too high even for Bioshock. It's not that games can't have $100 million budgets (though I can only think of one game that did), it's that $100 million is way higher than any other game in the same genre with a comparable level of polish made by a team of a comparable size. Even the Call of Duty games, which had multiple studios working on then, only had budgets in the $50 millions. Sure Irrational had a long development cycle and discarded a lot of stuff, but I have trouble believing that Bioshock is basically the most expensive game ever made (other than GTA4).

VVV You're right. I wasn't thinking about MMOs. VVV

emoticon fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 11, 2013

Paniolo
Oct 9, 2007

Heads will roll.
You're forgetting SWTOR :)

I do agree that figure seems high for a game that was pretty limited in scope.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

It's not THAT out of band. It's been 5 or 6 years since Bioshock 1, which was the last game Irrational/2K released. I don't know the studio's headcount, but if you assume it probably fluctuated between 50 and 150, with an average salary of 60k (which pulls up to 80-90k once you account for costs for taxes, insurance, etc). You're looking at, for example: 5.5 years * 85k/employee * 100 employees and you're up to almost 50M in head count alone. Oof.

I know MMOs love their 100MM budgets!

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

It's surprising to me that WOW-style MMOs are still being made, frankly.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

mutata posted:

It's surprising to me that WOW-style MMOs are still being made, frankly.

Its the same reason companies try to replicate CoD. They see the dollars and don't think of anything else. The high risk / high reward stuff is seriously damaging the AAA market.

devilmouse
Mar 26, 2004

Investors aren't any better... Trion raised $185MM on an amazing story. I shudder to think of building anything that big ever again.

19orFewer
Jan 1, 2010

Sigma-X posted:

A friend of a friend told me that the real issue is that while they're easily going to hit their 5-6 million, and hit a reasonable ROI, Square is disappointed because their three pillars for the year were Sleeping Dogs, Hitman, and Tomb Raider, and one of those went budget quickly (Sleeping Dogs), one of those was a franchise nobody has given a poo poo about for a long time (Hitman), and the other one is doing amazing but only had two weeks of sales for the fiscal year, meaning it can't make up for the loss on Hitman.

The big issue with publicly traded companies is that you need to play the stock market game of having great years, not great products. Square's next year is going to look beautiful, as they're going to have 3+million units of Tomb Raider sold without paying any costs for those, as those have been assigned to the previous year. But this year looks like a bath, because they aren't posting a ROI on the Tomb Raider costs because they only have 2 weeks of sales.

Next year will look better - but not mainly due to the lack of big expenses in the year compared with this - the income doesn't look likely to be deferred if you look at the released accounts. The loss wasn't that huge in the grand scheme (the years of FF and DQ boom sales have left SE as able to absorb the numbers easily) but the reorganisation for trying to make the future have no losses is the big expense this year.

I'd like to comment more but am pretty directly affected by the changes, working as I do in an Eidos company, so I can't speculate and only use the publicaly available data in that last statements.

What I can say, however, is that the company does seem to be trying to deal with the problem areas rather than laying the blame in places where people had little to no no control. The atmosphere is as a result pretty decent despite the data being released being a bit doom and gloom.

(edited to make sense of a sentence I hacked apart to make it totally respecting every possible thing I shouldn't say and made incomprehensible as a result)

19orFewer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 11, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

When I was in college, I thought the coolest thing would be to get a loft near our college and have some game development commune with my friends.

Now that I'm approaching 30, it has changed to "Long Island Beach House" rather than a loft.

Those $100 million estimates seem high, but I could easily see a team of their size having a burn rate of over $1m/month, with 60 months of dev time, plus outsource assets like VO, Mocap, etc. I doubt their ad budget was $100 million, either, but I could see 75/75 being very likely.

I'm highly suspect of call of duty being a $50m game, too.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Its the same reason companies try to replicate CoD. They see the dollars and don't think of anything else. The high risk / high reward stuff is seriously damaging the AAA market.

That mentality isn't exclusive to AAA. Of course, the difference is that casual games are much cheaper to produce, and thus, carry lower monetary risk.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish
Interviewed at Pocket Gems this week for a position that was probably a little over my head. Found out I didn't get it this afternoon. Welp!

As much as I love being a designer, I do get more and more tired of how difficult it is to get jobs. I get more recruiters incorrectly mailing me about engineering jobs than I care to think about. Clearly I need to learn obj-c.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

The communal indie game thing is actually a "thing" right now - http://indiegamehouse.com/. It's not even the only one.

I too am thinking more of a beach house lately. It's a cool thing to do if you've never tried a communal house, though.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

Iron Leg posted:

Interviewed at Pocket Gems this week for a position that was probably a little over my head. Found out I didn't get it this afternoon. Welp!

As much as I love being a designer, I do get more and more tired of how difficult it is to get jobs. I get more recruiters incorrectly mailing me about engineering jobs than I care to think about. Clearly I need to learn obj-c.

Are you in the San Francisco area? We're looking for lead and associate designers at our studio! We're hosting some kind of beer and pizza board game night next Wednesday as a booze and schmooze thing -- if anyone is interested I can forward the eVite!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

devilmouse posted:

I wonder how the length of all the marketing videos they've produced compares to the length of the actual game.

On the topic of gaming communes, how about a development co-op?
And a beach house? With the oceans rising and all? Maybe in South Carolina. At least there no one is allowed to project whether or not your property will be underwater.

theysayheygreg
Oct 5, 2010

some rusty fish

RoboCicero posted:

Are you in the San Francisco area? We're looking for lead and associate designers at our studio! We're hosting some kind of beer and pizza board game night next Wednesday as a booze and schmooze thing -- if anyone is interested I can forward the eVite!

Yeah I live in the city. That sounds fun, I'd love to come hang out. I was looking those positions earlier today, but I'm a good bit overqualified for an associate, and hard to say if they'd want me as a lead. PM me the eVite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GetWellGamers
Apr 11, 2006

The Get-Well Gamers Foundation: Touching Kids Everywhere!
Well, finally landed a supervisory position after too drat long in entry level. Permanent job, salary, benefits, all that grown-up stuff! :woop:

There's also the possibility they'll be asking me for recommendations for entry level stuff, so if that happens I'll try and hook up a student/just-graduated goon or two looking for that elusive first experience. :unsmith: