Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yessssssssssssss!

But weren't the JP and English releases originally like, 3-4 years apart?

More like a month. For the DS version that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

Yessssssssssssss!

I think you're referring to the original GBA versions of GS1-3 and the newly adapted DS remakes that were made a few years later, which the english releases were done only a few months after the Japanese release.

edit: ah, beaten to the punch.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Yessssssssssssss!

Any comparisons aside from Apollo Justice and AAI aren't relevant due to the history of the series. The first three games were originally released on the GBA and it wasn't until they were remade on DS that they were released worldwide. The DS remakes also localized the games into English for the Japanese releases themselves, which is why there was such a small gap between them. The last two took around a year which is fairly standard for localization (see the Layton games).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Animal Crossing: New Leaf! (click)

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Saoshyant posted:

Official release date in Japan: July 25. Western release in (maybe) 2014.

Apollo! drat, I am going to have to buy the hell out of that. I was so worried he was going to disappear into the aether... Yes, I'm one of the five people in the world who likes Apollo over Phoenix. Fight me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shoopuf posted:

Apollo! drat, I am going to have to buy the hell out of that. I was so worried he was going to disappear into the aether... Yes, I'm one of the five people in the world who likes Apollo over Phoenix. Fight me.

:objection:

Apollo Justice killed my interest in the series so bringing back Pheonix is just what the judge ordered.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

Barudak posted:

:objection:

Apollo Justice killed my interest in the series so bringing back Pheonix is just what the judge ordered.

I understand that a lot of people didn't like him and bringing Phoenix back as the main character is a good move! However, I would have been terribly disappointed if Apollo, who had an actual plot hook and fun characterization to boot, did not come back whatsoever. I hope he'll be an active part in this game like hobo-Phoenix was in his.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
EDIT: Never mind, didn't see the last page of Ace Attorney release stuff.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Behonkiss posted:

Only for the first three. If I remember correctly, Apollo Justice and Investigations didn't take nearly as long.

Except Investigations 2 :negative:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't like miles edgeworth that much to play as him again.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

Official release date in Japan: July 25. Western release in (maybe) 2014.

I see Apollo Justice is trying to use the Raiden method of "don an eyepatch, now everyone will like me!!" of trying to redeem himself.

Call me when you're ripping spines out, Apollo. Maybe we'll talk.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Apollo Justice is my favorite Ace Attorney game, and I've played them all. Can anyone explain to me why so many people dislike Apollo? (Both the game and the character)

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I love Edgeworth, but Investigations was boring. I haven't played AA4 (yet...), but I'm glad to see Phoenix return as (presumably) the lead!

Oh god now I want to play the first 3 games again.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

horriblePencilist posted:

Apollo Justice is my favorite Ace Attorney game, and I've played them all. Can anyone explain to me why so many people dislike Apollo? (Both the game and the character)

Third case.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

There's an Ace Attorney thread if people need a place to discuss what's known about the fifth game or how much you like/hate Apollo.

In other news, NOE released a video collecting a bunch of trailers from recent eShop releases. A good watch if you are mildly curious about some of them like Nano Assault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHPkGCsdTHg

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

edit: ^^^ Yeah, good idea. I'll post about Apollo there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nobody wanted a Phoenix Wright game where Phoenix Wright is a depressed semi-hobo who lost his license through stupid bullshit and where most of his well-liked supporting cast vanishes off the face of the Earth. On top of that Apollo (and especially Apollo's supporting cast) are pretty dumb characters and most of his cases are pretty forced and contrived even by Phoenix Wright standards.

Edit: Anything more should probably go in the AA thread.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody wanted a Phoenix Wright game where Phoenix Wright is a depressed semi-hobo who lost his license through stupid bullshit and where most of his well-liked supporting cast vanishes off the face of the Earth.

I've never played a Phoenix Wright game, but I would be there day 1 to play Phoenix Wright: Hobo at Law.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

I've never played a Phoenix Wright game, but I would be there day 1 to play Phoenix Wright: Hobo at Law.

You don't get to play as him. It'd be like watching a TV for 4 years and then suddenly in season 5 there is an all new lead, the entire cast changes, and the previous lead shows up in a completely disheveled state for stupid reasons with a personality at odds with the past 4 seasons. It delivers nothing on the premise, which when I read it, sounded at least mildly interesting.

I will forgive everything if they make a playable version of the Ace Attorney Musical.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata Asks: Animal Crossing: New Leaf! (click)
This (amazing) article isn't making the wait until June 9th go by any faster :argh:

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

ImpAtom posted:

Nobody wanted a Phoenix Wright game where Phoenix Wright is a depressed semi-hobo who lost his license through stupid bullshit and where most of his well-liked supporting cast vanishes off the face of the Earth. On top of that Apollo (and especially Apollo's supporting cast) are pretty dumb characters and most of his cases are pretty forced and contrived even by Phoenix Wright standards.

Edit: Anything more should probably go in the AA thread.

If you're saying Ema Skye is dumb I am willing to take this to court.

What about that Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover? I'm guessing the west never got confirmation for a release.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

I haven't played a single Ace Attorney game... Should I? :smith:

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

If you're saying Ema Skye is dumb I am willing to take this to court.

What about that Phoenix Wright/Professor Layton crossover? I'm guessing the west never got confirmation for a release.

Well, according to this, it's coming in October in Europe, at least.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arthe Xavier posted:

I haven't played a single Ace Attorney game... Should I? :smith:

Do you want to have fun Y/N

if Y goto play ace attorney
if N goto play ace attorney anyway you dummy

edit: There's a Let's Play of the first game going on here so check that out a bit then play the rest.

Terper fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 11, 2013

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Rexroom posted:

Well, according to this, it's coming in October in Europe, at least.

Wait! This is new! There was no confirmation of the Layton / Wright crossover coming West at all, and here it is with a PEGI classification and everything. That is great!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Apollo is way better than that fuckin 2nd game with the circus bullshit. I just disliked the aspects of the game that seemed to pander to creepos, which I guess also applies to the whole series.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Saoshyant posted:

Wait! This is new! There was no confirmation of the Layton / Wright crossover coming West at all, and here it is with a PEGI classification and everything. That is great!

On the other hand, having the box art proclaiming the adventure of "Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney" makes me think it's just a hopeful placeholder.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Strange Quark posted:

On the other hand, having the box art proclaiming the adventure of "Professor Layton and the Ace Attorney" makes me think it's just a hopeful placeholder.

That's actually a pretty clever localization if it's real. All of Layton's games are localized as "Professor Layton and the ________________".

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Oh, man, you party pooper. Digging a bit with an image search engine, I found this from a web site with made up covers. That Spanish store apparently just photoshopped a PEGI logo on top of it.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Terper posted:

Do you want to have fun Y/N

if Y goto play ace attorney
if N goto play ace attorney anyway you dummy

edit: There's a Let's Play of the first game going on here so check that out a bit then play the rest.

I'll start hunting for them, then!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Arthe Xavier posted:

I'll start hunting for them, then!

As a warning, they are esentially visual novels that you can fail and in some cases have to get back through a ton, ton, ton of dialog to get to the instant fail choice you messed up. I love the series but I don't play them unless I have a spoiler free walk-through with me so I don't have to worry about messing things up and repeating segments.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

...Just press the start button and save every once in a while?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

...Just press the start button and save every once in a while?

I, uh, I'm really impatient and I'm not redoing anything in a game where I can't mechanicaly get better.

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:
Mechanically get better at manual saving.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Quest For Glory II posted:

Apollo is way better than that fuckin 2nd game with the circus bullshit. I just disliked the aspects of the game that seemed to pander to creepos, which I guess also applies to the whole series.

Case three in Apollo Justice has been so bad, it gave me nothing but pain, and suffering, and pain, and suffering and not to forget the pain. By god the pain.
Laughing clowns in circus cases are nothing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It been a while since I last played Apollo Justice, but I can't remember what Case 3 was.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Here, a helpful reminder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz4ziiQoErw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I played it with the volume down.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

I just "beat" Mario 3D Land, and now it appears I've unlocked special stages. My first impression is that these are even better than the normal stages. Are they all this awesome?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I just "beat" Mario 3D Land, and now it appears I've unlocked special stages. My first impression is that these are even better than the normal stages. Are they all this awesome?!

You just started the game if you ask me.

• Locked thread