Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Elmo Oxygen posted:

It's been about a month since I wrote and posted The Medic, has anyone here used it or seen it in play? My own DW game has been on hiatus while we play Apocalypse World, so I haven't gotten any first-hand accounts of how the class is working out. If anyone has any notes for me, I'd appreciate it!

I haven't yet, but I plan to next PbP DW game that pops up. I'll tell any gripes I might have then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Things I have done: felt warm and fuzzy at tales of the Psion and its moves in the wild, purchased the Witch class, and gotten up to version 7 of the Slipstream Warrior! I've got ten 2-5 moves and ten 6-10 moves, and made an attempt at some race moves and less martial-arts-y alignments! On the other hand the human race move is martial-arts-school-y so man, whatever.

I'm feeling pretty good about the moves list right now, pending critique. There's only three starting moves but they feel pretty flexible and satisfying, so I think I'm alright with it.

As before, I'll save the names for last, though it struck me whilst walking my dog that "Chell" should be a name for human slipstream warriors.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TombsGrave posted:

Things I have done: felt warm and fuzzy at tales of the Psion and its moves in the wild, purchased the Witch class, and gotten up to version 7 of the Slipstream Warrior! I've got ten 2-5 moves and ten 6-10 moves, and made an attempt at some race moves and less martial-arts-y alignments! On the other hand the human race move is martial-arts-school-y so man, whatever.

I'm feeling pretty good about the moves list right now, pending critique. There's only three starting moves but they feel pretty flexible and satisfying, so I think I'm alright with it.

As before, I'll save the names for last, though it struck me whilst walking my dog that "Chell" should be a name for human slipstream warriors.

This looks particularly good! The only thing I'm noticing is that the human move seems a bit too oddly specific. I don't have a clue what else to suggest in its place, but everything else is looking good to me.

Kai Tave posted:

That cover is pretty friggin' sweet. That's one copy you've just sold.

I love the cover art so much. Thanks, to both of you!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

gnome7 posted:

This looks particularly good! The only thing I'm noticing is that the human move seems a bit too oddly specific. I don't have a clue what else to suggest in its place, but everything else is looking good to me.

I don't think the problem with it is that it is too specific. I have too other problems. First, it feels like it might be nudging into Initiate's thing. Second, it implies that Elves and Dwarves don't have masters. Just my opinion.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That Rough Beast posted:

Personally, I love the playbook concept, but I think the possibility to multi-class should be there in most cases (though, as Lemon Curdistan said, it shouldn't be something you require to make the class good).

I absolutely think every playbook should be able to multiclass, and multiclass to anything - hence the Shaman getting Friend of the Land rather than MC Dabbler - because you'll invariably have players who want to make a Fighter who has a pact with a devil, a Thief who can cast illusion spells or a Bard who can quest. Cool concepts should be encouraged.

That Rough Beast posted:

Guys, I applied the design philosophy we've been discussing. Did I do it right?

Yes you did. All kenders aside, this is a legitimately good set of starting moves and a great base to build a full class from (although it has too many starting moves).

Although, "It Must Have Fallen Into My Pocket" should probably be a move about avoiding the consequences of getting caught, with a name like that.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 10, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Golden Bee posted:

For the Zealot, why are the weapons a fine bow and a rapier? It should be a cruel blade of some kind.

Also, this isn't significantly different or better than a Paladin with a relevant quest. In fact, with the 1d10 hit die, it's worse. The first starting move only lets you get out of trouble that you create; unless you're creating an Inquisitional party in a civic campaign, you wouldn't get to use it very much.

I'm also interested in the fact your class has an advance move making you immune to death. That'd be ridiculously overpowered. Why the zealot and not a cleric or a paladin?

The weapons have already been discussed - my intent was to include a crossbow at first but I couldn't find any ammo for it on the list. Does the DW crossbow just use regular arrows?

With Bow, Stubborn Knees, I wanted to give this guy the flavor that he answers only to his deity, rather than civil justice. Like how Inquisitors in popular culture don't seem to have to answer for when they commit a crime in the name of the pursuit of heretics. Should I just reduce it to the Outstanding Warrants part?

For Eternal Providence, you're only immune to death if you die by the hand of the guy you're fighting. Since you're more vulnerable to other threats, it's more likely you'll die because of some other guy ganging up on you. At first I had it as "if you die while the target of your sacred oath remains undefeated" but realized that was definitely too powerful. If this is too powerful too, what should I reduce it to? I definitely wanted to include a personal death-related move, but wasn't sure what to do other than this if I wasn't gonna step on somebody else's toes.

As for your last question - I'll admit I made this first draft too combat-oriented (as addressed by Shamblercow), but when I started I wanted to make a more rogue-ish divine character. Obviously in this draft that didn't come through enough, so maybe you'll be more satisfied with the next one!

Shamblercow posted:

Opening up that aspect of the class might make it more broadly applicable:

Fanatic
When an enemy breaks or rejects the tenets of your faith, you may declare them a Heretic of your faith.

That opens up the choices a little bit more and allows the character to play nice with party members and regular civilizations. It would be a very cool thing for you to provide a list of names and domains (mix and match) to fit the style of the game, as it would decrease the drag to getting started with the playbook. It would also be boss to include a few tenets or commandments upon which a Zealot might hang their faith:

All Must Refrain from taking ________'s Name in Vain
The Messengers of ________ Must Humble Themselves Before Women
Beggars are Holy, Their Suffering Redeems Us
None Shall Harm a Child, Upon Pain of Death

A good tenet would be something that sometimes puts them in conflict with social norms, and gives the player choices to make.

Another thought: It seems like many of the class features hang on the idea of trying to declare other creatures and NPC heretics, but there doesn't seem to be a fictional constraint on doing so. Maybe by opening up the ability to declare heretics, you can adjust some of the moves to show social consequences to these actions, as currently, being a Heretic is only a disadvantage in combat. There are about 10 moves that give combat advantages against Heretics. There are only a couple that do anything socially.

Ideas for social moves/advantages: starting a cult/inquisition, converting, preaching, temp boost to CHA (suffused with holy fervor?), parley against multiple targets (mass conversion?), converting a town and gaining social standing... and so on.

This is the best thing and I love it. You're right, social moves should definitely be included. I'll have a go at writing up some new things with this in mind.

Thanks everybody for this advice! It helps a ton.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

I think I've just got the human racial move for Slipstream Warrior.

"When you use Slipstream Step to appear within Reach range or closer, take the 10+ result."

Simple, highly useful, but not so useful as to be a gamebreaker... hopefully. If we've got a human racial move, then I'll write up some names and the Slipstream Warrior will be done!

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

TombsGrave posted:

I think I've just got the human racial move for Slipstream Warrior.

"When you use Slipstream Step to appear within Reach range or closer, take the 10+ result."

Simple, highly useful, but not so useful as to be a gamebreaker... hopefully. If we've got a human racial move, then I'll write up some names and the Slipstream Warrior will be done!

I think I like that one, yeah. It gives that option the freedom to go crazy with teleporting, but only very short distances. Put it up on gdocs or mediafire and I will put a link to it in the content post! Unless you want to hold off until you have an entire psionics' class book, of course.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

gnome7 posted:

I think I like that one, yeah. It gives that option the freedom to go crazy with teleporting, but only very short distances. Put it up on gdocs or mediafire and I will put a link to it in the content post! Unless you want to hold off until you have an entire psionics' class book, of course.

Working on the full psionics handbook is gonna take a while--it's looking to be pretty busy the next few months--and the book's going to have a crapton of other stuff. I don't mind sharing. That and, you know, playtesting. Gotta iron the kinks out before it gets done!

Ladies and gents: The Slipstream Warrior! As always, thanks for the help.

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010
I actually think my favorite thing from this game is the almighty Discern Realities move. I've noticed in the several games I've played that it is infinitely more satisfying than other perception related checks in other games because it's a whole lot more than just rolling to see if your character sees something. As a DM, the questions your players get to ask often times force you to delve deeper than just the surface level of what a PC sees or hears, and instead tell them Fictional Truths about the world around them. When they ask "Who is really in control here?" for example, you get to reveal big clues about a situation in a much more engaging way than just "You succeed your perception check and see the trap," or whatever boring things other games let you do.

It's at the point now that I actually never run a character with low wisdom simply because I like discerning realities way too much.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Hello, everyone! I'm continuing my narration of The Faustian Bargain Bin campaign. If you missed part one, you can find it here.

This post ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated, so I'm splitting it into two smaller parts, A and B.

--- Part 2-A: The Green Daisho Goblins

As you may remember, we left off having just finished up with the Questions phase. The characters needed to seek out the Blight Orb to corrupt the crops of the kingdom downstream to drive them into economic collapse and stymie their war efforts permanently.

I started the party just outside the ruins of the dungeon in the river basin, standing beside the 15-foot wide sink-hole that led into depths unknown. They could see a tiled floor 35 feet below in the fading light of early evening.

I decided to take Sellion the Ranger's hint about goblins to threaten them with an incoming warparty. I believe I've seen this move used in one of the starter adventures, and it seemed like a great way to prod them into descending into the caverns below. The ranger decides, however, that he's going to try and lead them off the trail before they get here, as even if the party descended into the dungeon, the goblins may follow them in and be able to attack from behind (funny, that's kind of what I had in mind). He heads out at a sprint and finds a large'ish hill to give him an overhead view of the warparty, 30 goblins strong and mounted on wolves, as it draws near.

He asks, "Do I know anything about the goblins in this area? Are they known to be honorable?"
"I don't know. What do you know about them?"
"Yes, there's a tribe of honorable goblins in this area. They'd kinda have to be; they're samurai, after all."

So now we've got Samurai Goblins. I love my players.

"Ok," I say, nodding, "I've heard of them, too. Are these goblins from that tribe?"
"Well," he responds "Can I see their war banners from up here?" I have him roll a Discern Realities as he squints in the fading light.

With his 7-9, he sees that the banners are in the style of the Samurai Goblins, with a daisho on a solid color field, but the background color is new -- green. It appears the samurai goblins are under new leadership. We decide that the samurai goblins were overtaken by another goblin warchief. This warchief Grayzog, it turns out, is an opportunist. While he is perfectly willing to appear honorable when it suits him, he would show no mercy to an "unworthy" foe. The party might be in trouble.

During the ranger's attempts to lead the goblins onto a false trail, he rolls another 7-9. Goblins see him and launch a volley of arrows. While the ranger is missed by their arrows, they've blown the war horns and are readying the charge.

He runs back through twisted undergrowth and warns the party of the danger. Five members of the party quickly descend into the pit, hoping it will hide them.

But not the fighter.

Sir Finnigan, retired knight of the crown, sits on the edge of the slow-flowing river in the fading light of day. His spear leaned on his shoulder, he waits for the oncoming horde.

The warband approaches accross the shallow river, bows at the ready. Grayzog rides to the front. His mount, unlike the wolves ridden by the other goblins, is a fierce Warg. It sneers at Finnigan as Grayzog speaks. "What brings you to trespass our lands, foreigner?"

"I come bearing request of an alliance from king Granger of An'Adack," Finnigan called out in response.

"I have heard of your lands and your king. He wishes to form an alliance with us? That is wise of him. But for what purpose?"

"To fight a common foe. The kingdom of Lew Issanya has harried our lands and people with war. If we should fall, your people and your lands would be next in their unquenchable quest for expansion. If we work together, we can strike them down, once and for all."

One of the lesser goblins cries out, interrupting, "OR we could kill and eat you NOW!"

Fatser than lightning and without turning his head, Grayzog puts an arrow through the errant goblin's eye and it falls dead to the sand below.

"And what does your king offer for our aid," Grayzog queries, "that could possibly be worth more than awaiting your kingdom's fall and looting the ruins?"

Uh oh, Finnigan hadn't planned for that! Thinking quickly he continues, "We only seek to remove our enemy. If you help us do it, you would have first pick of the loot of Lew Issanya and right to settle its' captured lands."

"An expansion to the river delta..." Grayzog muses to himself, smiling. "That could be worth our time. But what proof do we have of your king's good will?"

Throughout here, Finnigan's player kept rolling 7-9s on his Parley. I took each of these to mean that the goblins want clarification on more of the points of the agreement. It turned out really well!

"Obviously, in such an agreement as this, open public alliance might be a politically poor idea. But he does send this as a showing of his good will," finnigan bangs his spear on the keg of Dwarven Stout that he had been sitting atop. (His player had spent some of his valuable starting gold on it on a whim just before the session. It seemed a very clever use of such an item.)

Grayzog signals to his lieutennant, who rides to the halfway point of the river and cuts his palm before offerring his hand.

Finnigan does the same, and they trade grips.

"Tomorrow we ride on Lew Issanya!" Grayzog shouts to the general approval of his troops. "Tonight, we DRINK!" Is followed by rounds of goblin cheering as the goblins ride off with the keg.

Minutes later, a rope descends into the cavern. Sir Finnigan climbs down to find the party waiting for him with newly lit torches and newly warmed appreciation.

--- Coming up in Part 2-B, Mongrel-Man Maintained Minotaurs
--- ...And in part 3: The Fighter invents water-skiing, and "Elves are freakin' weird, guys."
--- ...And in part 4, the conclusion: "A plan never survives contact with the enemy--" "--You can say that again."

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 10, 2013

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

TombsGrave posted:

Ladies and gents: The Slipstream Warrior! As always, thanks for the help.

A couple things bother me just from a quick scan, might look over it in more detail later.

Tempered and Kiln Body should just say "armor X from heat and cold". There's no 'fire' and 'cold' tags, so wording it as 'fire damage' is kind of weird. In that case, extreme heat from a desert wouldn't count as it isn't 'fire', but given what you seem to be going for it should totally work for that.

Exorcist's Blade feels like it'd be kind of hard to use often enough to warrant taking it as a move. Maybe if it did more it might be more appealing, like affecting more things so it's more useful in more circumstances. The trigger should also probably be 'when you deal damage', because it later goes on to specify that you're trading damage for the effect, but it's a bit unclear as to if you have to actually succeed on a Hack & Slash/Volley to actually do the effect or not. Just needs the wording cleared up a little bit.

On a similar note, You Don't Belong In This World should probably trigger on attacking if it's supposed to surpass all defenses, instead of only kicking in once you actually land an attack. Where normally some insubstantial spirit or something like that might be difficult to actually land a blow on, your special training makes you more than capable of fighting them. So long as you can actually swipe at them, you should be able to really tear into them.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I've been working on a Shadow Dancer class and it's ready for a second opinion. All comments, critiques, and thoughts are welcome, as always.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes you did. All kenders aside, this is a legitimately good set of starting moves and a great base to build a full class from (although it has too many starting moves).

Although, "It Must Have Fallen Into My Pocket" should probably be a move about avoiding the consequences of getting caught, with a name like that.

Yeah, I gave it an extra move or so since there was no Kender racial (I forget how the Elf playbook floating around handles that) and because I knew I wasn't going to be writing any advanced moves. I'm not sure exactly why I bothered to balance that though, given my intent was to produce a class that would emulate toxic Kender behavior and which no group would want to see at the table (for long, anyway). Oh well, at least most of the principles are sound, now I just have to get around to the real playbooks I want to make.

I'm addicted to hacking this game/reading hacks about this game, someone help.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Shamblercow posted:

I've been working on a Shadow Dancer class and it's ready for a second opinion. All comments, critiques, and thoughts are welcome, as always.

-3 damage seems a bit extreme to me.

Healing Potions are weightless.

I'm not sure why I'd use Moment of Opportunity. If I'm trying to hack and slash, chances are I'd be happy about a 10+.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 10, 2013

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

That Rough Beast posted:

I'm addicted to hacking this game/reading hacks about this game, someone help.

We'll help when we figure out the cure (the cure is more Dungeon World).

djw175 posted:

-3 damage seems a bit extreme to me.

Also, the load is so low that if you have a minus STR, you are at your load max just with the stuff you're required to take.

Healing Potions are weightless.

I'm not sure why I'd use Moment of Opportunity. If I'm trying to hack and slash, chances are I'd be happy about a 10+.

I waffled on the damage, but a situational -2 does seem better. These guys are gonna want to be in the dark always.

Fixed the load and weight. I am terrible at equipment, so feel free to correct anything there.

I figured moment of opportunity might be useful as a utility thing, but you're right, you won't often want to forgo the damage. Maybe it could add Shadow Dance to the list of Defend moves?

Moment of Opportunity posted:

When you defend from the shadows, you may use 1 hold to shadow dance as if you had rolled a 10+.

That a little more useful?

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...

Shamblercow posted:

Lost in the Darkness is pretty good, but I find myself wanting to rewrite it to change the dynamic a bit. I could see you taking or leaving this.

Lost in the Darkness
When you attempt to steal an object from within a shadow you can see, roll +Dex. On a 10+, you get the object without incident. On a 7-9, choose two:
-You don't make any noise
-No one will notice it's missing for a while
-You don't damage the object
On a miss, you still get the object, but your theft has been detected.

I'd tweak the alignment moves a bit. Chaotic as it stands seems more evil and pretty specific. Maybe, "Chaotic: Steal something important without considering the consequences." If you want an Evil Shadow Dancer, maybe "Evil: Steal an item someone else needs."

I agree that Moment of Opportunity seems kind of weird. If you're Defending something, fictionally it doesn't make sense to use that hold to move away from the thing you're defending to me, it looks like you would be exposing that thing to harm. If that's working as intended though, that's fine.

Well of Shadows seems more like a +Int than a +Wis to me. Dex is already your primary and you have several moves using +Int. A +Wis move like this probably isn't getting used often since I'm guessing the average Shadow Dancer will have a pretty crap Wis. If you're intending to create a +Wis branch of moves and a +Int branch of moves, that's cool, but it's way unbalanced in the favor of Int right now.

Similarly, Right Through Me seems like it should be +Dex instead of +Int.

I don't quite understand Silent Shadow's fictional effect.

In the Valley of the Shadow is good. Beware of people using it in lieu of Hack and Slash. Cool effect though, so I'm a bit torn. I'd at least consider making it require another move to get, or maybe just double the damage unless you get anything but a 12+. Maybe consider having it build off Hack and Slash somehow?

The Penumbra power has you rolling +Con, but then doesn't have that result do anything. It also seems pretty powerful, but maybe that's me.

I think you need a move that works when the Shadow Dancer is in absolute darkness. Or wait - do the powers of the Shadow Dancer only work when there's both darkness and light? Address this somewhere, it's sure to come up.

Also, you could possibly add a move that lets the Shadow Dancer be able to target someone's shadow instead of them for the purpose of hack and slash/volley/whatever.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I really appreciate your thoroughness, TRB. You're a scholar for going through my classes and offering such constructive feedback! New link to changes for the shadow dancer are here.

That Rough Beast posted:

Lost in the Darkness is pretty good, but I find myself wanting to rewrite it to change the dynamic a bit. I could see you taking or leaving this.

Lost in the Darkness
When you attempt to steal an object from within a shadow you can see, roll +Dex. On a 10+, you get the object without incident. On a 7-9, choose two:
-You don't make any noise
-No one will notice it's missing for a while
-You don't damage the object
On a miss, you still get the object, but your theft has been detected.
I really like your version. I'll add it if you don't mind.

quote:

I'd tweak the alignment moves a bit. Chaotic as it stands seems more evil and pretty specific. Maybe, "Chaotic: Steal something important without considering the consequences." If you want an Evil Shadow Dancer, maybe "Evil: Steal an item someone else needs."
I added your Chaotic alignment. In general, I wanted to avoid the Evil alignment.

quote:

I agree that Moment of Opportunity seems kind of weird. If you're Defending something, fictionally it doesn't make sense to use that hold to move away from the thing you're defending to me, it looks like you would be exposing that thing to harm. If that's working as intended though, that's fine.
I imagined the Shadow Dancer as a character that is concerned with mobility and grace, and who would look for the best opportunities to accomplish their goals. Forgoing damage didn't seem like a very attractive option, but I'm satisfied that sometimes a shadow dancer who is defending something might use the option to freely dance while in combat without wanting to trigger the consequences of the regular Shadow Dance move. I could especially see the SD moving away with the last hold in order to gain better positioning.

quote:

Well of Shadows seems more like a +Int than a +Wis to me. Dex is already your primary and you have several moves using +Int. A +Wis move like this probably isn't getting used often since I'm guessing the average Shadow Dancer will have a pretty crap Wis. If you're intending to create a +Wis branch of moves and a +Int branch of moves, that's cool, but it's way unbalanced in the favor of Int right now.

Similarly, Right Through Me seems like it should be +Dex instead of +Int.
You are quite right. This was an artifact of an earlier draft where I'd had a DEX/WIS split, but that didn't feel quite right, so I moved to DEX/INT. It seemed to fit the theme of the class a little better. I think with Right Through Me, I was trying to be clever and ensure a tough decision between maximizing INT and DEX, but I outsmarted myself. DEX is the obviously correct choice here.

quote:

I don't quite understand Silent Shadow's fictional effect.
The idea was that the SD could use it to help the rest of group avoid making noise, or to confuse another group in battle, or any number of things, by making everything silent. Is this more clear?

Silent Shadow posted:

Silent Shadow
While you hold your breath and concentrate, you muffle any sounds originating in shadow or darkness.

quote:

In the Valley of the Shadow is good. Beware of people using it in lieu of Hack and Slash. Cool effect though, so I'm a bit torn. I'd at least consider making it require another move to get, or maybe just double the damage unless you get anything but a 12+. Maybe consider having it build off Hack and Slash somehow?
My hope was that the trigger would be enough to let the DM make the player roll a few times before getting to apply the effect. Considering the mobility of the SD, I'll err on the side of caution and take your suggestion applying the effect with a successful hack and slash, and a good INT roll.

In the Valley of the Shadow posted:

When you mark a living creature with the shadow of death after dealing damage with hack and slash, roll+INT. On a 12+, that creature is marked for death, and any additional damage will be fatal to that creature. On a 10+, the creature takes double damage until it spends an hour basking in sunlight. On a 7-9, you and the creature receive double damage until you spend an hour in the sun. You may only apply this power to one creature at a time.

quote:

The Penumbra power has you rolling +Con, but then doesn't have that result do anything. It also seems pretty powerful, but maybe that's me.
The CON was a mistake. Also, yeah, I think this is the most powerful thing in the class by far. I intended the damage to be pretty punishing as a handicap, allowing the SD to make only a few moves before they expire. If I reduce the area of effect, does that make it more palatable?

quote:

I think you need a move that works when the Shadow Dancer is in absolute darkness. Or wait - do the powers of the Shadow Dancer only work when there's both darkness and light? Address this somewhere, it's sure to come up.
I added a rider to Creature of the Night to allow power usage in the absolute dark. Does that make it mandatory? If so, I might add a note that says that Shadow Dancer of level 5 and up automatically gain Creature of the Night, kind of as a prestige class/paragon path thing.

Should I still add a brief move description to the basic moves about shadow? Actually, I think I definitely should. I'll do that. I've added it to the description of In Your Element

quote:

Also, you could possibly add a move that lets the Shadow Dancer be able to target someone's shadow instead of them for the purpose of hack and slash/volley/whatever.
That's a great idea! Added this:

Shadowplay posted:

You can target the shadow of an enemy with hack and slash rolls. Damage dealt to the shadow is applied to the enemy. You may still take damage as usual on a 7-9 or 6-, the DM will tell you how.

Again, thanks for the great feedback! (You too, djw175!)

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

sentrygun posted:

A couple things bother me just from a quick scan, might look over it in more detail later.

I've changed Exorcist's Blade to Exorcist's Eye, letting the Slipstream Warrior Pokedex-scan outsiders with a glance. I've also implemented your suggestions for Tempered/Kiln Body and YDBITW.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Is there any handbook for a Dr. Jekyll//Mr. Hyde? Perhaps maybe a were* could be re-flavored properly, too.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Feels more like a thing that would fit a Compendium Class, but I don't think anything of the sort exists at the moment in either form. There's definitely enough to the idea to make a Compendium Class out of it, though, complete with the prereq being "be exposed to some pretty awful science things".

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

sentrygun posted:

Feels more like a thing that would fit a Compendium Class, but I don't think anything of the sort exists at the moment in either form. There's definitely enough to the idea to make a Compendium Class out of it, though, complete with the prereq being "be exposed to some pretty awful science things".
Spitballing for kicks:

When you are exposed to some pretty awful scientific experiments, you may take the following move during your next advance:

Beside Myself
When you lose control of your emotions, roll+CON. On a 10+, choose three. On a 7-9, choose two. On a 6-, choose one. You transform into a hideous creature of pure ID. When you take a violent action, you heal 1d4+1 hit points. You must also immediately spend hold 1-for-1 for any of the following benefits:

*You become hideously ugly- mortal creatures flee on sight and you cannot be identified.
*You grow monstrous musculature- you take +1 to feats of strength.
*You gain reptile cunning and claws - when you deal damage, add 1d6.
*Your muscles grow lean and wiry, you can move quicker than a mongoose and take +1 to any acts of violence.
*You do not lose your human inhibitions- you can choose which creatures to attack and do not have to attack the nearest creature.

You return to your normal state when you are reduced to zero hit points or after a night of violent excess and crime- the DM tells you where you wake up.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 11, 2013

slydingdoor
Oct 26, 2010

Are you in or are you out?

TalonDemonKing posted:

Is there any handbook for a Dr. Jekyll//Mr. Hyde? Perhaps maybe a were* could be re-flavored properly, too.

My friend wanted something like this the other day, so we reskinned the Paladin.

It's intended to be general enough to support a wide variety of antiheroes. Anyone who wants to, let me know what you think.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I've decided to compile a playbook pack of t own to sell, because why not. "Martial Prowess" is the theme, and it'll have my posted and revised/cleaned up The Leader, The Assassin, and I'm adding The Brawler (a grappler/wrestler type) and The Smith of Legend, a sort of martial take on wizard as well as 4 to 6 compendium classes. If anyone has any other advice or play experience with The Leader or The Assassin please let me know!

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Going to teach and run my very first game of DW tomorrow night and am kind of nervous about messing it up. Any tips from vets in here? I've read the ones in the OP and that's generally stuff I'd do anyway. Should I just make a really bare-bones scenario and just let the gameplay lead us in the story from there? I'm excited, but I don't want to screw up GMing this and have them hate the system or something.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Overemotional Robot posted:

Going to teach and run my very first game of DW tomorrow night and am kind of nervous about messing it up. Any tips from vets in here? I've read the ones in the OP and that's generally stuff I'd do anyway. Should I just make a really bare-bones scenario and just let the gameplay lead us in the story from there? I'm excited, but I don't want to screw up GMing this and have them hate the system or something.

Stick to your Agenda and pretend it's an action movie. Start in the middle of an action scene and let the players answer questions about why they're in an action scene. Start fleshing it out from there and you should be fine. Just introduce how things work and encourage players to take the lead by prompting them with the ever-popular "What do you do?"

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

TalonDemonKing posted:

My medic class is built so that you have to choose between being a pacifist healer type or being a sadistic/amoral mad scientist type at the beginning, but as you level you can take moves that let you switch between the two.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.

I'd make sure to have plenty of basic moves sheets available for all the players, so that they can look at their options when necessary, and to have duplicate copies of the playbooks, or bookmarks in the physical book at the playbooks, for yourself. I found it useful to reference the player's options when they made moves so I didn't have to ask them what it meant when they rolled an 8 on bend bars, for instance.

I'd also have some notecards or a place to write down notes, because early on, the players are going to be telling you a lot of details, and you're going to want to capture that detail so that you can use it during this session and beyond. Between asking questions at my first session, I was basically writing like a madman. I also created a little relationship map for the five person party, writing the character names in large letter with the player names below (corresponding to the player's position at the table), and used some colored pens to kind of map how the characters felt about each other and what their goals were. If you can make the basic skeleton of something like that to begin with, you'll be golden.

Also, prepping some fabulous treasures, in the style of those Jason Morningstar convention adventures, is always useful. You don't even necessarily have to give the players the cards - just give them the descriptions and have them write them on their sheets. I've found this useful because treasure is the one element of the adventures that never seems to be quite as organic as the other things, especially fabulous, useful, and downright weird or unexpected treasure.

edit..

I'm surprised that the Morningstar adventures aren't in the OP!
The Temple of Ungu and The Slave-Pit of Drazhu are both intended to be two-hour adventures for conventions, with brand new players. The treasure in these things is wonderful, and it can give you a reasonable idea of what kind of prep might be useful.

Seriously, how can you not love this:

quote:

Ungu’s Venom
A glass vial of black, sticky poison taken ages ago from the dead fangs of Ungu.
The very best thing would be to throw it in some chasm, for it will bring only
pain and trouble.

Seriously, what are you doing with this?

Get rid of it, it can only profit evil.

Why are you putting it in your pocket?

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 12, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

It's already been said, but I'll post it again so you know we're serious. The phrase "What do you do?" is your best friend.

Tip 2 is: Whatever batshit crazy things your players come up with, roll with it. My GM let me get away with using the Wizard cantrip that lets you make things glow in different colors to turn my staff into a literal disco/rave stick. And then use that as background ambiance for an epic dance-off with a goblin king.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
^^^^Hahaha, oh my gosh that's awesome.

Thanks guys, very helpful so far. You know something I just realized? The "D&D" they were playing in that Community episode is basically Dungeon World. Holy poo poo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

^^^^Hahaha, oh my gosh that's awesome.

The worst part is that the goblin king had the appearance of the one from The Hobbit film....with the costume of the one from Labyrinth.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They finally updated the Barbarian sheet with the fixed d8/d6 ruling: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/Barbarian.pdf

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They finally updated the Barbarian sheet with the fixed d8/d6 ruling: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/Barbarian.pdf

Every time I see the Barbarian I just think "man this needs more". Maybe it's just how it's formatted, those blank spaces need to be filled with something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

KillerQueen posted:

Every time I see the Barbarian I just think "man this needs more". Maybe it's just how it's formatted, those blank spaces need to be filled with something.

It is literally a WiP playsheet that doesn't have all its moves yet! The class isn't out, this is just the playtest.

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

So I've been jonesing for a game so much lately that I've resorted to just loving running my own game, is Dungeon World fairly easy on the DM? I haven't really done much gm'ing in the past so I've been looking for a game that doesn't require hours of prep before each session.

Ich
Feb 6, 2013

This Homicidal Hindu
will ruin your life.

Hipster Occultist posted:

So I've been jonesing for a game so much lately that I've resorted to just loving running my own game, is Dungeon World fairly easy on the DM? I haven't really done much gm'ing in the past so I've been looking for a game that doesn't require hours of prep before each session.

Holy poo poo! Look no further!

Once you learn the rules, it's quite easy to run a game. This is the first game I've been able to run successfully. Seriously, you can run a game with no more prep than gathering your dice, pencils, playbooks, cheat-sheets and, of course, your mooks together.

Ich fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Apr 12, 2013

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
Yesterday I finally received my Dungeon World softcover through Indie Press Revolution. Even though I ended up paying like 40€ for it with shipping included, I have to say that it's still one of the best RPG-related purchases I've made in a while. I love the paperback format, as it makes it perfect reading on the bus on the way to work/band practice/whatever, and also doesn't weigh quite as much as most of the huge RPG tomes I'm used to carrying around.

Anyway, in what I hope to become a tradition among us, me and my bandmates decided to play a game last night after band practice. It was pretty boss. I've already written a post about my favorite bit on my fuckyeahdnd, so I'll spare you the details, but something else happened during the game that was pretty sweet: during the course of events, the players ended up in a situation where I allowed them to make the Carouse move in spite of the fact that they didn't actually have any money to spend on account of the fact that they were at a lavish party with food and drink overflowing. One of the players rolled snake eyes and in defiance to all good sense decided not to pick the option "You are not entangled, ensorcelled or tricked." It used this as an opportunity to introduce a CLEARLY NOT A VAMPIRE Count from another land into the game, who invited Jon the Cleric into his private chambers to discuss business matters.

We faded to black and fast-forwarded to the next morning when the characters woke in their own chambers, very hung over, the Cleric having arrived in the wee hours of the morning a bit woozy and having passed out immediately. After a bit of boyish humor ("Is Jon's butt sore?" "No, but he does have a bit of a strange taste in his mouth.") I made it clear to the players that even though their characters didn't know it (on account of the Count being CLEARLY NOT A VAMPIRE) Jon had been fed the Count's blood and was now the vampire's thrall. We didn't discuss the actual implications of this yet, but I told the player that I might use it as a narrative tag in the future to compel Jon to do the Count's bidding.

Afterwards I started thinking that since being a vampire's thrall is a pretty big deal, it might merit a compendium class. I've already got some ideas, but I've yet to hammer out the details. Basically, there will be one move that represents the character being under the vampire's command (maybe similar to the Divine Bond move given as an example in the Advanced Delving section for building compendium classes), two more moves representing the character's acquisition of more vampiric powers, and a final move which requires all the other three representing the character's transformation into a vampire. This I'm going to be handling sort of like the Druid's Shapeshifter move: whenever the character consumes all the blood of a living creature they get to take 1 blood, which they can then use 1 for 1 to perform vampiric moves, like changing into a bat, wolf or a cloud of mist, charming mortals, and so on so forth.

That's pretty much all I've got thus far and I've yet to figure out the two other moves representing the character's slow transformation into vampirism. Does anyone have ideas as far as this is concerned?

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It is literally a WiP playsheet that doesn't have all its moves yet! The class isn't out, this is just the playtest.

Oh, I thought it had been finished a while ago. Oh well

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Horse

Of course, of course.

Large, Mount +1, Passengers 1

Rider Move: Rear Up
When you hack and slash at the enemy while on a horse, the horse responds to your agression. You can add the Horse’s Mount stat to the damage of the attack, but the horse is attacked should your attack fail.

Rider Move: Ride like the Wind
When you defy danger to reach a destination as quickly as possible while on a horse, you can add the horse’s Mount stat as a bonus to the Defy Danger roll but the horse dies from exhaustion at the end of the ride.

quote:

Halfling War Wagon

Often a simple converted family wagon drawn by halfling ponies, a Halfling War Wagon protects halfling families who must travel in perilous lands.

Large, Mount +1, Passengers 4, +1 Armor

Rider Move: Scything Blades
When you hack and slash your foes with the scything blades of the war wagon’s wheels, you may add the wagon’s Mount stat as a bonus to damage rolls.

Passenger Move: Arrow Slits
When you attack from the sheltered safety of a War Wagon, you do not become exposed to the enemy should an attack fail.

Passenger Move: Halfling Rock Ballista
When you shoot your foes with the brutal rock-bolts of the wagon’s ballista, volley as normal (with the Messy tag) but choose from the following instead on a 7-9:
-The wagon jostles you hard, leaving you exposed to enemy fire
-The fired bolt causes some unfortunate collateral damage of the DM’s choice
-You had to improvise the ammo a little. lose an item of some value of your choice (such as cutlery, some coins and similar)

Any questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Horse... War Wagon
Pretty cool. I'll see about introducing these in my game.

---

Hello, everyone! I'm continuing my narration of The Faustian Bargain Bin campaign. If you missed one of the other parts, you can find them here:
Part 1.
Part 2A.

The last post ended up being a lot longer than I anticipated, so I split it into two smaller parts; that one, A, and this one, B.

--- Part 2-B: Mongrel-Man Maintained Minotaurs

As you may remember, we left off with Sir Finnigan (retired), descending into the Dungeon to join the cowards the rest of the party after single-handedly brokering a deal to have a dangerous threat turn against the party's main enemies.

They looked around the chamber. It was an old colmned circular hall, with arcaded alcoves set into the walls. Much of it covered in moss from the river's moisture. They could see a collapsed tunnel leading in from one direction, and a well-maintained one leading out the other direction.

The Warlock had a minion that he flavored as a woman in yellow robes with a porcelain mask (his patron was The King in Yellow, after all) and I had her alert him that she sensed danger in the hallway beyond. He asked her how she knew, and she replied that she saw the footprints of game animals approach, but never enter, the tunnel. Oh, and also that broken skull half-covered in moss just outside the entry.

Yikes. It sounds like the Thief's predictions about traps was right! At least, that's what the thief's player proclaimed.

Dodge, the thief, was more of a conman, really. He was great at getting people to part with their belongings willingly (albeit, often under false pretenses). But he still knew a bit about traps, and decided to try his hand at getting the party through safely. After all, he couldn't let Sir Finnigan's antics upstairs show him up.

He started by scanning the hallway for common signs of traps, using his trapfinding ability. He then bravely ventured into the hall and -- click -- stepped on a pressure plate.

I loved this part. His player looked up at me with terror and then, as I smiled and calmly asked him "What do you do?", with realization.

After some time, Dodge managed to flip, leap, vault, and yes even dodge, his way through the whole hall; setting off traps and defying the results. All the while marking the plates with chalk and breaking or jamming mechanisms. I'll spare you the details, but there was a huge swinging scythe, a poison mist trap at eye-height and some automatic crossbows. When he reached the end of the hall, the rest of the party caught up and congradulated him.

All the players felt it was a much more exciting and action-packed segment than we would have achieved in the same hall under another system.

Then the fighter, feeling secure in their dominance of the hallway, went to walk into the next room and felt the tripwire just past the doorframe tug against his ankle. "poo poo."

A gate attached just above the open doorway on the inside (where they couldn't have seen it waiting for them) swung down. Three attached spears were headed right for the rogue and fighter. Dodge lept ahead and to the side, into the chamber with the gate swinging closed behind him. Uh-oh! But what did Sir Finnigan do?

"It's just like people attacking me with spears, right? Can't I just side-step and deflect them?" Using hack and slash to avoid a trap. I love it.

He rolled a 7-9, and I had the spear graze him as it pinned him to the wall of the tunnel. Since it was attached to a heavy door, it was enough to knock a bunch of his front chain-links from his armor, leaving a gaping hole available to all frontal attackers (a nasty application of the Take Away Their Stuff GM move). I told him he could repair it if they had some time in safety. "But the thief is alone in the next room in the dark, right?" Pressed for time, he removed his shirt entirely and forged ahead, muscles bulging.

Look out, guys this just became a real sword and sworcery game.

Finnigan and the Namer, Anagram, team up to lift the gate. Finnigan using his classically named Bend Bars Lift Gates move, and Anagram adding an Aid. At this point the Bard, Edwin, reveals that one of his Bonds is with Sir Finnigan. Edwin was interested in writing the Ballad of Sir Finnigan to document the hero's adventures. He begins to sing his ballad as he writes it, "real-time" (also using the Aid action to bolster the fighter). Everyone chuckles at the silly on-the-fly lyrics he rattles off. Amused, I suggest he write it down as he goes.

It was at this point that the Ranger, Sellion, had a family emergency and had to leave. He announced that his character had only been paid to bring the party here, not to follow them into their untimely deaths in dark caverns unknown. Sellion headed out for the city.

The rogue, meanwhile, was attempting to "liberate" the automatic crossbows from within the opposite wall. "What took you guys so long?"

Two red points of light activate to the side of the party, and a huffing and snuffling noise shakes the room. The party cautiously raises their torches to reveal a large, wrought-iron bull with glowing eyes. The rogue leaps behind some rubble, the party all loose bolts and arrows, most of which harmlessly ping off of it's impervious armored hull. The bull charges the party, most of whom leap to the side, Defying Danger. Sir Finnigan, observing that the arrows had no effect, sniffs his nose casually and says, "I set my feet and grab the ring in its nose."

He rolled a 7-9, and grabbed the ring, but was pulled off his feet by the sheer power of the automaton, dragging him down along the floor between it's front legs as it ran.

The namer, Anagram, curses the beast with his creepy spelling-bee powers, managing to stay out of the way of its thrashing horns. Dodge leaps out from the shadows and sticks his dagger into a chink in the beast's hide, but with his 7-9, is thrown through the air to land in the unexplored exit hallway entrance. He hears a noise from somewhere down the hall of more enemies approaching in the darkness beyond.

Sir Finnigan, seeing that the thief found purchase between two of the beast's plates, looks for a weak spot on the uderside of its chassis. His reasoning is sound, so I don't even make him roll; he notices one. He sets his spear against the weak spot and plants the other end into the ground going past below. He mentions that his spear is Forceful, and asks if that has any effect. Naturally it does, and with a hit on his Hack and Slash, the spear sets with such force against the charge that it lifts the bull straight off the ground, pole-vault-style, and brings it creashing straight down, impaling it. He 7-9'd his roll, though, so it also pins him beneath it, dealing damage and spilling it's motive fluids and grease all over him.

"So, let me get this straight..." Finnigan's player pipes up with a smile. "I'm now muscle-bound, shirtless, AND covered in oil? King Leonidas, eat your heart out."

The party helps Finnigan out from under it while Dodge watches the door. The namer, Anagram, decides to try and learn the true name of the bull guardian in case the sounds down the hall are more of them. The bard, Edwin, revels the party with the embellished tale of their triumph in battle to heal them up a bit.

Anagram rolls well, and find that all he needs to know the bull's true name is to posess the ring from it's nose (it's the essence of what the mechanical bull was, after all) but that he forgets it when he's not touching the ring. He cuts it away and attaches it to his belt. He then attempts to learn Finnigan's true name. He needs to know the smell of the strong-man's tears to figure it out, and rather than dick around, simply asks him for them. Handily enough, the fighter was laughing so hard at the bard's excellent song, he can provide tears of laughter and does so.

At this point, Anagram's player suggests a silly meta-idea that every being's true name in the game is simply their public name backwards and it's a huge secret Namer Guild conspiracy to keep it quiet. For comedy here on out, whenever he learns a true name, he writes it down or recites it as the character's name backwards.

Meanwhile Dodge, who was watching the door, throws a torch down it and startles the two mechanical minotaurs who were standing-in-wait just beyond the range of the former firelight. They charge, and Dodge jumps back while everyone readies their weapons.

The minotaurs, who were nine feet tall, were made of the same wrought-iron as their bull counterpart. It looks like they were cobbled together from the spare parts of a humanoid woman machine and a bull machine. One had the upper-half bull and the lower-half woman, the other had the upper-half woman and the lower-half bull. Both had a giant axe in each hand and swung them separately.

In the battle that ensued, someone's 7-9 allowed me to Reveal Unwelcome Truths by a close-call from the blade having poison on it. The warlock, Faustus, was hit with the axe and started to have his arm go numb. He backed away and had his servitor use her hideous lamprey-like mouth to suck the poison out while he fired his crossbow with the other arm.

Finnigan fought bravely.

The namer brought his name-knowledge of the former mechanical guardian to bear by goading them apart to be more easily handled by the party, and by harming the minotaurs.

The bard danced and weaved, supporting with his music and striking when able. He managed to disarm an axe from one of the minotaurs.

The thief ended up being positioned to be struck, both-handed with an axe after the disarm, but saw an opening in the beast's plating at it's shoulder as it hauled-back to strike. He jammed one of the spears he "liberated" from the gate trap earlier into the opening, dealing the final blow to the creature and narrating that the energy it coiled up for the massive strike -- released at the destruction of its arm -- tore it to pieces.

The commotion drew unwanted attention from the hallway, and one of the party members noticed a figure run by the now-dwindling torch light in the hall just before they started launching arrows from around the corners.

Finnigan hurled one of the large disarmed minotaur axes :black101:, catching one of the cloaked figures on the shoulder with its poison. Dodge hit one with a throwing dagger. The two figures retreated down the tunnel for reinforcements.

Taking only a moment to heal up, lest they allow the enemy to escape completely, the party gives chase. the tunnel splits and they follow the un-poisoned figure, deciding he was more of a threat.

The fleeing figure triggers a pit right in front of the party, causing one of them to fall into a pit of slime, and then aggresses the heroes across the pit with a partisan, taking advantage of the terrain.

They injure him once more, and he runs through a door at the end of the hall, leaving a trail of blood in his wake. They pull out their ally and close the pit trap and give chase again.

In the next room, they are confronted by a barricade and crossbowman of the same short, cloaked variety who, being cornered, call out an order to the interlopers to halt and surrender.

The party sees that they've got these beings cornered, and having identified them as mongrel-men, decide to give them an alternative to fighting to the death.

"We've only come here for the Blight Orb," Edwin explains. "We didn't intend violence until you attacked us."

"Truly?" they reply.

"Truly," Finnigan confirms, lowering his spear.

I don't even call for a Parley roll, as they satisfied the base requirements on their own.

"So," asked the mongrel-men, opening up slightly, "you're not working with those filthy elves in the labyrinth next door?" The party laughs at the irony, since the mongrel-man saying this is covered in filth and smells awful.

The mongrel-men explain that the Blight Orb is a religious relic of theirs, made from the heart of the founder of their clan upon his death. The party asks if they could simply borrow it. This requires a Parley roll, and they botch it. The mongrel-men suggest the party take it up with the current clan-leader who is, naturally, deeper in the labyrinth and surrounded by the rest of the mongrel-men clan.

... And next time, the party does just that.

I hope you guys are entertained and it's not just exciting because I was there. Am I being too long winded? Let me know and I can cut the next one back a lot or whatever.

--- Coming up in Part 3: The Fighter invents water-skiing, and "Elves are freakin' weird, guys."
--- ...And in Part 4, the conclusion: "A plan never survives contact with the enemy--" "--You can say that again."

e: more clear punctuation

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 13, 2013