Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

arhra posted:

Long press on one of them (in the app, obviously) and it'll go into multi-select mode so you can nuke a bunch at once.

This is true, but I'm with fuf on being annoyed that there's no way to remove them via the browser, at least not that I know of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fuf posted:

Also is there a way of getting music on the SD card uploaded to google music? I didn't realise google music was available outside the US now. It's pretty awesome.

You have to upload it from your PC using their sync client (warning: it's kind of glitchy and bad just like every other part of Google Music).

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Casyl posted:

How many articles do you usually load when you get on? I use Feedly most weekday mornings on the way in to work and it loads probably 40 headlines and out of those I read one or two. In the past month it's only used about 20 mb.

That could be an issue. I dont know the number offhand but I'm a rather compulsive feed adder so I have a ton of unread poo poo. And I have some tumblr feeds in there as well which are obviously image heavy.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

fuf posted:

Also is there a way of getting music on the SD card uploaded to google music? I didn't realise google music was available outside the US now. It's pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, right now, the only way to upload music from your phone to Google Music is through a silly Dropbox workaround. Set your Music Manager app to watch a Dropbox shared folder accessable on your computer, and upload the music from your phone to that Dropbox folder. Then the app will upload the music to Google Music. Kinda funky, but it works in the end.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm looking for an App that will do one of two things:

-Stream the video camera FROM my phone to a PC over my carrier network (I have unlimited data, no biggie)
-Record video, save it locally and upload it to my PC then delete it from the phone

I'm looking to film stuff while on the road and my galaxy nexus has next to no disk space left for videos of any decent quality & length. Anyone know of something like this, or similar?

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Karthe posted:

I finally got around to activating Carbon...but what the hell was the point of installing something on Windows to enable it? Carbon had been sitting on my tablet for the longest time because I was too lazy to go through with connecting it to my PC, and then I finally get around to connecting it and running the Carbon Windows application and am told afterwards that I no longer need to hook up my tablet to my PC to backup.

So what the hell, Carbon? All I was interested in doing in the first place was backing up to Dropbox, why did I need to "activate" the app while tethered to a computer? :argh:

DropSync sounds like what you want, free licence lets you sync one folder, the pro licence is about three quid and let you sync as many as you want.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Tigren posted:

Unfortunately, right now, the only way to upload music from your phone to Google Music is through a silly Dropbox workaround. Set your Music Manager app to watch a Dropbox shared folder accessable on your computer, and upload the music from your phone to that Dropbox folder. Then the app will upload the music to Google Music. Kinda funky, but it works in the end.

Thanks, this worked. Hopefully only have to do it once so not a big deal.

Tunga posted:

(warning: it's kind of glitchy and bad just like every other part of Google Music).

:negative:

But it seems so cool.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
How long does it take for the google music app to recognize that you've uploaded something? I've been looking at the desktop page intermittently and it's there but it won't show up in the app. Refreshing doesn't help.

Casyl
Feb 19, 2012

nigga crab pollock posted:

How long does it take for the google music app to recognize that you've uploaded something? I've been looking at the desktop page intermittently and it's there but it won't show up in the app. Refreshing doesn't help.

I had this problem about a week ago on my tablet. Turned out several Google sync items were turned off, including Google Music. Settings > Google > Google account > make sure sync for Google Play Music is on. If it is, I don't know what the problem is.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Isn't there a keyboard with a medical dictionary? I thought it was SwiftKey, but I'm not getting any result for such a thing

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Is NFC Task Launcher force closing for anyone else immediately after today's update?

Uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, nothing works.
Same thing on both my Nexus 7 and Nexus 4 (both stock 4.2.2, not rooted).

Oddly enough, the app broke on the day I received my first set of NFC tags.
(Cue Alanis Morissette's "Ironic")

Edit: Looks like it's officially broken.

Tagstand on the Google Play Store product page posted:

Sorry about that. 5.0.2 is going live now and will fix this.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 10, 2013

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
What do you guys use for capturing and cataloging receipts for month work expense sheets? My new job allows me to submit them digitally. I've started using Evernote to just snap them and keep them in a notebook for each month.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Jerk McJerkface posted:

What do you guys use for capturing and cataloging receipts for month work expense sheets? My new job allows me to submit them digitally. I've started using Evernote to just snap them and keep them in a notebook for each month.

This was mentioned a few pages back:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.me.mobiexpensifyg&hl=en

I have been using Google Keep recently for quick notes and capturing images (not receipts but I take pictures of book pages when I can't be bothered to type out a quote I might need one day) and I really like it. Much slicker than Evernote imo.

Keep also lets you record voice memos and tries to transcribe them (usually badly), which is fun because you get to walk around saying "note to self".

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I don't need to scan receipts but for mail, bills, and other business paperwork I use Evernote. At home I have a high-speed document scanner that pushes straight to Evernote, and on the go I use CamScanner. It generates PDFs and de-skews images, and then can push them to Evernote. It costs $5, but if you happen to have "free alumni email for life" from your university like I do you can just sign in with that .edu address and get the paid version for free.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://androidcommunity.com/microsoft-office-for-android-tipped-for-a-fall-2014-arrival-20130410/

Looks like Microsoft Office will hit Android in November 2014.

E: Google Chrome Beta has updated and now includes fullscreen browsing (keeps the notification bar though) and the ability to see your history if you're using Chrome Beta on a tablet.

Chrome Beta for Android Update posted:

The Chrome Team is happy to announce the promotion of Chrome 27 to the Beta channel for Android. Chrome 27.0.1453.49 contains a number of great new updates including:

Fullscreen on phones - Scroll down the page and the toolbar will disappear.

Simpler searching - Searching from the omnibox will keep your search query visible in the omnibox, making it easier to edit, and show more on your search result page.

Client-side certificate support - You can now access sites that require you to use a certificate and Chrome will allow you to select an installed certificate

Tab history on tablets - Long press the browser back button to view your tab history

Known Issues:
Noticeable lag in text entry on some text fields

chrome://history sometimes show duplicate items

Opening tabs is sometimes slow

Pages may flicker sometimes, especially during navigation

http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.com/search/label/Chrome%20Beta%20for%20Android

If things go like they did last time Beta updated, we'll see stable Chrome update in May around the time of Google I/O.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Apr 10, 2013

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.
The new play store interface just hit my phone. Now where is my unified messaging???!

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
What is a good app for having some sort of reminder go off (silently would be nice) every 6 hours (so I can just dismiss or when I get to it)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

What is a good app for having some sort of reminder go off (silently would be nice) every 6 hours (so I can just dismiss or when I get to it)

Can't you just set a calendar alarm that will go off every six hours? Or, set up four events per day on your Google calendar if you use it.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Silly Burrito posted:

Can't you just set a calendar alarm that will go off every six hours? Or, set up four events per day on your Google calendar if you use it.

Yeah it'd have to be the 4 events per day thing which would flood my calendar, and I use my calendar for other stuff too. I was hoping to avoid that

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Set four recurring alarms with a silent ringtone and no timeout? Easily done with Gentle Alarm but I'd imagine any alarm app could do it.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Yeah it'd have to be the 4 events per day thing which would flood my calendar, and I use my calendar for other stuff too. I was hoping to avoid that

If you already have Tasker, you can do it there. It's still on sale for $1.99, which is a good deal considering all that it can do.

http://www.tonybullard.com/?p=1218

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Create a separate calendar for those alarms and don't display it on the calendar widget or whatever, you should still get the alerts even if you're not actively showing it I believe.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
These are all good ideas. I don't have Tasker but it may be time to get that.

DemonMage posted:

Create a separate calendar for those alarms and don't display it on the calendar widget or whatever, you should still get the alerts even if you're not actively showing it I believe.

Using the default Google calendar do you have any idea how not to display it in my widget?

I usually have more stuff going on in my calendar, but I guess it's not a big deal if it's got those recurring events in it

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Betamax double post

Edit: I'll use this spot to put this since it's already here

I think the whole 4 recurring alarms thing will work very well. I actually came up with 5 so I can have 1 for work days and 1 for non work days, all set on silent with no vibrate.

This also have me a chance to play with the new alarm interface and I like it a lot.

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Apr 11, 2013

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Using the default Google calendar do you have any idea how not to display it in my widget?
Calendar > ⋮ > Calendars to display (make sure it's set to sync by using the button at the bottom of the screen that comes up)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

LastInLine posted:

Calendar > ⋮ > Calendars to display (make sure it's set to sync by using the button at the bottom of the screen that comes up)

Awesome thanks for this

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

So, what's the general consensus on Greenify? I like the idea, but I don't want to install some glorified task manager and mess things up

Steriletom
May 11, 2009

My inability to write has angered the ghost of Thunderdome! Beware my example, lest you be haunted.

XIII posted:

So, what's the general consensus on Greenify? I like the idea, but I don't want to install some glorified task manager and mess things up

I used it along with some other app that was recommended earlier in the thread to be used in conjunction with greenify and noticed no appreciable improvement over 3-4 weeks. Uninstalling them hosed with a whole set of my sync settings, too.

On another note, I don't know if this is a thing Uber is doing with all their users, or if I was selected by some blackbox-metric, but I've been given a referral code to give out to potential new subscribers. Anyone who creates a new account within the next seven days and uses the code gets a credit of up to $25 for their first Black Car ride, good until the end of April. Benefit to me is that I get a $20 credit to my account for every new user who signs up with the code and uses it by the end of April. Anyone out there who's been thinking of trying out Uber? If yes, I'll post up the promo code.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Uber is pretty awesome if you haven't used it before. I tried calling a cab in SF and waited 35 minutes past the appointed pickup time with no luck. Uber had a super friendly guy at my location in 3 minutes.

It was more expensive than a plain old cab, but then again it isn't a raw deal when a plain old cab won't even bother to show up.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I currently have two Gmail accounts set up with my Gmail app but I also want to add my corporate Exchange email but I'm assuming that I'm SOL with that and I should use the default Email app on my Nexus 4?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Busy Bee posted:

I currently have two Gmail accounts set up with my Gmail app but I also want to add my corporate Exchange email but I'm assuming that I'm SOL with that and I should use the default Email app on my Nexus 4?

Or Touchdown, yeah. Gmail is for Gmail only.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I'm coming from iOS to Android and I'm a bit confused on the options for playing and syncing music.

I know I can use "DoubleTwist" to sync my Android phone with iTunes, but what are my options if I want to leave iTunes completely?

Do I just copy my MP3s to the Android (using it as USB Mass Storage) and then pick any music application? If so, what is a good music management app to copy the music itself and keep it in-sync? (Maybe something that can also update wirelessly to my phone and copy any new music, etc?)

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

I'm coming from iOS to Android and I'm a bit confused on the options for playing and syncing music.

I know I can use "DoubleTwist" to sync my Android phone with iTunes, but what are my options if I want to leave iTunes completely?

Do I just copy my MP3s to the Android (using it as USB Mass Storage) and then pick any music application? If so, what is a good music management app to copy the music itself and keep it in-sync? (Maybe something that can also update wirelessly to my phone and copy any new music, etc?)

Your options would be copying the music to your phone or Google Music. The Play Music app works with Google Music and on-device music but others here may have better suggestions for the on-device music.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
I am pretty sure the Mediamonkey Beta supports updating music on the device wirelessly, although I don't know how user-friendly it is.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The Google Keep just got an update...but I'm not sure what's new. The changelog wasn't well..changed. :v:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

ThermoPhysical posted:

The Google Keep just got an update...but I'm not sure what's new. The changelog wasn't well..changed. :v:

How very.... Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Remember how I mentioned that I was in the private beta for the next ES File Manager? There's now a public test version that's mostly complete. There are a few bugs that the developer is aware of and I wouldn't use it as your only browser but if you're curious the direction ES is moving in this is it. Honestly I like it quite a bit and the developers have been very quick about correcting the bugs.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Remember how I mentioned that I was in the private beta for the next ES File Manager? There's now a public test version that's mostly complete. There are a few bugs that the developer is aware of and I wouldn't use it as your only browser but if you're curious the direction ES is moving in this is it. Honestly I like it quite a bit and the developers have been very quick about correcting the bugs.
Devs, please pay attention: turning Gingerbread blue does not make holo.

Uuuurgh why can't anyone make a good looking file browser?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Devs, please pay attention: turning Gingerbread blue does not make holo.

Uuuurgh why can't anyone make a good looking file browser?
There was a pretty large thread about that in the discussion forum with the developers and I tended to agree with the developers' decisions in the end. It has Holo conventions (side menu, left/right swipes to panes) but lacks things like cryptic unlabeled menu icons and hiding everything behind ⋮. There's plenty about the UI I'm not a fan of but in use I like it more than just about everything else.

While it would be useless to me as it lacks cloud and network shares, the CMFM is all Holo I believe. I haven't tried it since it first came out but when I did use it I couldn't help but feel lost most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

LastInLine posted:

There was a pretty large thread about that in the discussion forum with the developers and I tended to agree with the developers' decisions in the end. It has Holo conventions (side menu, left/right swipes to panes) but lacks things like cryptic unlabeled menu icons and hiding everything behind ⋮. There's plenty about the UI I'm not a fan of but in use I like it more than just about everything else.

While it would be useless to me as it lacks cloud and network shares, the CMFM is all Holo I believe. I haven't tried it since it first came out but when I did use it I couldn't help but feel lost most of the time.

Took me 10 mins to figure out that selecting files automatically copies them. I looked for ages to find the copy option, ffs.

• Locked thread