Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I just "beat" Mario 3D Land, and now it appears I've unlocked special stages. My first impression is that these are even better than the normal stages. Are they all this awesome?!

Yeah, welcome to the second half of the game. A lot of them are cool challenges (some people hate its a retread of previous levels)

Try to unlock the special final level!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
I just thought of something.
Is it possible using Hamachi or something similar to simulate a local network to play local multiplayer online?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

horriblePencilist posted:

I just thought of something.
Is it possible using Hamachi or something similar to simulate a local network to play local multiplayer online?

I bet it is. (Although I don't know if 3DS will work.) This is how I managed to play Monster Hunter with my PSP, and it worked fairly well.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

So anyone with some serious hands on with the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon how is the challenge level? The previous hit a decent sweet spot of hard but not frustrating.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Oh, I know the game is cool, I'm just not sure whether that site is trustworthy is all.

edit: link for new page

http://gamedealdaily.com/store/product.php?product=1927

Seeing if anybody else got their copy, because I got mine today! And holy poo poo, why is the case so large? Are all European DS games like this? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Iwata Asks: Animal Crossing: New Leaf! (click)

Here's a footnote from the article that I just noticed:

quote:

In the European version of the game, model homes created by Nintendo will also appear in the HH Showcase. These homes will be distributed via SpotPass.

In other words, Nintendo will be distributing HH Showcase houses online, so people with low StreetPass density won't miss out.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Projext X Zone has a European release date - July 5.

Also, the NA version is going to come with a mini art book, a poster and a soundtrack CD; all the extra junk comes standard with first-run copies of the game, so it's not a pre-order bonus or something you have to pay extra for or whatever.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

1) Is the 3DS online only with that weird dongle or can it access a signal all on its own?

2) I'm having a hard time finding a good list of recommend titles for good online play.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Inzombiac posted:

1) Is the 3DS online only with that weird dongle or can it access a signal all on its own?

2) I'm having a hard time finding a good list of recommend titles for good online play.

Can't really answer the second question as I don't play any online games with the 3DS, but it can access any wifi signal on it's own. I think it has all the regular security features of a laptop compared to the DS which only could sure low security wifi.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Inzombiac posted:

1. You don't need that dongle for the 3ds unless there's something weird with your wifi I suppose.

2. Off the top of my head Kid Icarus has fun competitive online and Luigi's Mansion has fun coop and Resident evil has coop as well but I haven't seen it.

MaxDuo
Aug 13, 2010

Inzombiac posted:

1) Weird dongle? The little USB stick for the DS? No clue if it even works with the 3DS...... but I think it also doesn't work with anything beyond Windows XP.

2) I enjoyed Kid Icarus online, even if there are only 2 modes and not a ton of arenas. Though I'm one of the few people whose hands didn't explode into unbearable pain from playing the game for more than 1 minute too. Heroes of Ruin had good stuff for online play, but I bet almost no one plays it now. It's a very weak Diablo-styled game without the ability to fight bosses more than once so....

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Cool, thanks guys.
I'm still a starry-eyed dreamer that one day we will have massive, if rather simple, online games on the go.
Something like City of Heroes would be incredible on the DS as it doesn't require twitch or movement based combat.
Hell, even an updated version of that Metroid Hunters game that no one played would be a good step.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Mercury Crusader posted:

Seeing if anybody else got their copy, because I got mine today! And holy poo poo, why is the case so large? Are all European DS games like this? :psyduck:

Most UK DS cases are pretty thick (For some reason I had an american copy of SM64, its almost half the size of my regular game cases). Some are slightly thinner than official nintendo cases, I have a yugioh game that looks to be slightly thinner. 3DS cases over here seem to be about the size of your US DS cases.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Since the Luigis Mansion thread is a ghost thread I'll ask here. Anyone got any tips on how to finish the Secret Mine boss? I haven't died before this guy and I cannot do the cannon bits. Gyroscope controls and me do not get along and I can't keep the targeting reticle steady.

Edt: Figures right after I post this I get it.

Len fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 12, 2013

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Tora Tora Torrents posted:

I just "beat" Mario 3D Land, and now it appears I've unlocked special stages. My first impression is that these are even better than the normal stages. Are they all this awesome?!

I hope you liked that extended tutorial, the actual game starts now

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Junkie Disease posted:

So anyone with some serious hands on with the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon how is the challenge level? The previous hit a decent sweet spot of hard but not frustrating.

The main story can be face rolled as expected. Once you are finished with the main story things do get get more challenging... but once I finished everything I wanted to do in the main story I was 30 hours in and felt like that was enough mystery dungeon.

I still really enjoyed the game though.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

Try to unlock the special final level!

And, for the love of god, don't play it with the Raccoon suit if you unlock it. The level is designed to be played without the Raccoon suit, and you'll miss all of the challenge and fun if you play it with that drat suit.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MrFlibble posted:

Most UK DS cases are pretty thick (For some reason I had an american copy of SM64, its almost half the size of my regular game cases). Some are slightly thinner than official nintendo cases, I have a yugioh game that looks to be slightly thinner. 3DS cases over here seem to be about the size of your US DS cases.

I'm guessing it's to accommodate these huge rear end manuals with the five different languages. Good to know in the event I want to order any more European DS games that us 'mericans didn't get, though I'm not sure what other games to get. Last Window, probably.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Junkie Disease posted:

In some aspects it's easier (hunger is mostly gone, for one), but in some it's harder (PP management is more important, it's nearly impossible to get a revive from another player if you or your partner die, a few other things). Overall I'd say it's about the same pre-credits. After the credits they still toss some of those 99-floor nightmare dungeons at you, of course, but I have yet to touch them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ineffiable posted:

Try to unlock the special final level [in Mario 3D Land]!
Thanks, I wouldn't have realized this was in the game. It's funny to me how I know they're getting serious when a level begins to approach the difficulty of some SMB1 levels.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I just put in the codes for my XL and Dark Moon and I can't decide which game to pick. I want a game that really makes sense to have digitally, something I will want to always have on my system to boot up randomly for 15 minutes or so. I'm thinking Star Fox. My girlfriend owns Layton so I can play that whenever and I'd rather get Mario via physical copy some day. Good idea to go for Star Fox yeah?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kilometers Davis posted:

So I just put in the codes for my XL and Dark Moon and I can't decide which game to pick. I want a game that really makes sense to have digitally, something I will want to always have on my system to boot up randomly for 15 minutes or so. I'm thinking Star Fox. My girlfriend owns Layton so I can play that whenever and I'd rather get Mario via physical copy some day. Good idea to go for Star Fox yeah?

Makes sense for gameplay purposes. However, Star Fox is only $20ish on Amazon. Might get more for your money choosing a full price one for the freebie.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'd say go with Mario; I personally didn't think it was worth $40, probably more along the lines of $30, so getting it free with another game is a really good deal. If you've already played Star Fox 64 or you have access to a Wii, you should probably pass on Star Fox.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Money isn't part of the equation at all, I'm just considering the gameplay. I haven't played Star Fox since my childhood friend had it so I think it's worth it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Kilometers Davis posted:

Money isn't part of the equation at all, I'm just considering the gameplay. I haven't played Star Fox since my childhood friend had it so I think it's worth it.

Go hog wild. That game can take less than an hour to beat so it makes sense to carry it everywhere for maximum pick up and play opportunity.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Laser Spider posted:

In some aspects it's easier (hunger is mostly gone, for one), but in some it's harder (PP management is more important, it's nearly impossible to get a revive from another player if you or your partner die, a few other things). Overall I'd say it's about the same pre-credits. After the credits they still toss some of those 99-floor nightmare dungeons at you, of course, but I have yet to touch them.

It definitely tips easier. PP management would be important if Max Elixirs weren't pretty much thrown at you with abandon. I used them as I needed and still ended up with 50 or so in storage at the end.

Orbs now work in boss battles too. So a Petrify Orb will trivialize almost all group battles. There are a few instances where the enemies block status, but it's way too rare to pose much of a threat.

There also seems to be zero Monster Houses in the main game. I've played through the post-game and I've only ever encounter one Monster House--it was in one of the side Magnagate dungeons that you're given a randomized party to explore.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, PP management is a non-issue because you'll never meaningfully run out aside from maybe in gimmick areas. Removing hunger was just dumb.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The way attacks level up combined with infinite-use TMs sort of break the difficulty. A common attack like Aerial Ace will level up really quickly and by then it has twice the power and and PP of any of your other attacks.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Inzombiac posted:

Jesus Christ, several answers but no mention of Mario Kart 7? What is wrong with you people?

PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

So on a whim I'm looking to purchase a 3DS XL. Is there any reason why I should not buy a used console instead of a retail one (single-use features, unchangeable user accounts, strange friend code shenanigans etc)?

Nifty bundles don't matter since they're never available in Europe anyway.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Fire Emblem will get a nifty bundle with the XL. In Europe.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Healbot posted:

Yeah, get this. You might have to throw down a few extra euros, but you'll get an unscratched system and probably the best game available to it ( I'm assuming this - as a Finnish dude I haven't been able to play it yet ).

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

I don't know if i'm just missing something by not playing the first game, but man Dillons rolling western is kicking my rear end. I almost never have enough money to build/equip towers, and I can't move fast enough to kill everything on my own. I feel like there is some facet of gameplay I must be missing, because I've just cleared the first town, by the skin of my teeth and had to redo the last stage of it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Cool, thanks guys.
I'm still a starry-eyed dreamer that one day we will have massive, if rather simple, online games on the go.
Something like City of Heroes would be incredible on the DS as it doesn't require twitch or movement based combat.
Hell, even an updated version of that Metroid Hunters game that no one played would be a good step.
If you have some friends, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates Echoes of Time and Phantasy Star Zero back on the 2DS are totally that kind of huge scale online RPG. No one plays them anymore though so like I say, gotta provide your own friends.

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 12, 2013

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

Chance posted:

I don't know if i'm just missing something by not playing the first game, but man Dillons rolling western is kicking my rear end. I almost never have enough money to build/equip towers, and I can't move fast enough to kill everything on my own. I feel like there is some facet of gameplay I must be missing, because I've just cleared the first town, by the skin of my teeth and had to redo the last stage of it.

You're hitting every single mine each day and selling all the gems, right? The mines change location each day, so be sure to explore thoroughly. Also, while Dillon is rolling around the map, you can keep dragging and releasing on the touch screen to keep him going at full speed. It is a highly intense game and I think it is supposed to give you that feeling of always having just barely enough money and resources to get by. Even so, though, you can perfectly clear the first and even sometimes the second nights with no towers whatsoever.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Is the Kirby Pinball game up on Club Nintendo right now any good? My only real experience with console pinball games are the *Crush series for TG-16/Genesis, but I enjoyed the Hell out of those.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Curse you, young Layton submit animation. :argh:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Agrias120 posted:

Is the Kirby Pinball game up on Club Nintendo right now any good? My only real experience with console pinball games are the *Crush series for TG-16/Genesis, but I enjoyed the Hell out of those.

Not sure how the emulation is, but I loved it when it came out. There's some fun mechanics in the game, warp stars, boss fights, etc. It is rather responsive and plays well, but don't expect simulation pinball, obviously. If you're a kirby fan you'll love it, if you're a pinball fan you'll probably love it.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Healbot posted:

Any idea when?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

In a few days. Amazon says the 19th.

• Locked thread