Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Level Slide posted:

110 hours and counting, baby :getin:

Also Hatsune Miku will be in Frontier G. Or rather, a costume resembling Miku. Good news for anyone in Japan who wants to get their Domino's Pizza on while beating up monsters.

"Monster Hunter Frontier G comes out next week on PC and Xbox 360."

What is this? It's not listed on Wikipedia.

From the OP I'm guessing an upgrade of the awful MMO version so none of us should care about it?

Carecat fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
It's simply another expansion, it's just their biggest one so far. They do box releases for the 360 version because it's cheaper than putting out patches on M$'s servers.

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

TalonDemonKing posted:

When Jho invades, beat him down, chase him to another zone, kill him, carve him, and go back to your original mission. Eventually he'll invade, see you're there, and be like "Nope, gently caress that hunter" and leave on his own accord.

In seriousness though, dungbombs will be your friend.

On Gloves off chat; I know it's like 180 damage over 5 minutes (Which isn't that hard), but isn't it something crazy like 40% affinity and a damage boost? That's a serious chunk for the investment of a couple of mega potions.

30% affinity bonus plus stamina drain lowered for 90 seconds. Not worth taking nearly half your health bar's worth of damage. Not when crit eye or challenger can give the same bonus (minus stam drain) with less risk.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

The thing about traps is that they are game breakingly good. It's some of the strongest lockdown in the game: it generally lasts for a good chunk of time, has less squirming in it, isn't broken by you doing damage, can make parts of monsters easier to hit (Duram humps with pitfall trap), you only have to deal ~2/3 a monster's HP for a capture so it's notably quicker in upper High Rank and G-Rank where monsters have a lot of health along with giving more rewards, and monsters take more damage while trapped. Unlike Paralysis it doesn't require you to sacrifice elemental damage to perform it either. If you're having trouble with a monster, seriously consider bringing extra traps and using them to wail on it for a while, you only need to save one for the cap, and throwing tranq bombs takes ~1-2s so the diminished effectiveness isn't really relevant. Anyhow, they're so good so they need a good bit of risk attached to them to balance it out. If you take out the risk, they're honestly just a bit too good. If you tone down traps they become Capture Machines only, which isn't that interesting and takes away a method of taking down a monster, and part of the appeal of Monster Hunter is the variety of ways to deal with different monsters (different weapon types, sleep bombing, Felyne Heroics). Now I dislike that there are quests that specifically require you to capture a monster, I think there should be one at most to teach you how to do it.

I'm not saying they're perfect as is. Maybe they could bake reclaiming traps into the Trap Master armor skill, it would certainly boost the appeal of it for some people. Also, you'll just get better at not whiffing traps. Never underestimate the ballsiness of just standing under the monster and setting the trap right then (but don't forget how easily you can eat poo poo doing this! It works pretty well on monsters where that's a safe place to attack though, like the brute wyverns). And if a monster is hovering over a trap, you should be able to use a flash bomb to knock them out of the air, depending on how willing you are to use more resources.

Anyhow that should be enough :spergin:.
But seriously, traps don't gently caress around, that's why there's a big risk attached to them.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Decorations' question. I have about five @ +1 fire resist decorations in, accounting for +5. I'm not really seeing them contributing to my overall fire resist (I'm still early in the game, I am getting ready for the qurepoco fight). Do the decorations pretty much have to get to a '+10' on an attribute before they'll actually mean something useful for resists?

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
Yes. Every skill needs to get to a certain point threshold before it will actually activate and do anything.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Yes. Every skill needs to get to a certain point threshold before it will actually activate and do anything.

Right on. Then I'll just kit up with something better, for lack of having more decoration slots. I can at least get 'Gathering +1' :v:

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

I thought elemental resistances were based on 1 resistance = 1% less damage from that source, and didn't work the same way as skills do (ie. requiring a certain threshold)?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

5er posted:

'Decorations' question. I have about five @ +1 fire resist decorations in, accounting for +5. I'm not really seeing them contributing to my overall fire resist (I'm still early in the game, I am getting ready for the qurepoco fight). Do the decorations pretty much have to get to a '+10' on an attribute before they'll actually mean something useful for resists?

If you "scroll" right when you're in the Status until you hit the menu how many points you have in each skill. If you press "y" (I think) and scroll through the list, it'll not only tell you what each skill actually does, but also if there are extra levels for each skill at +15 and +20.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Plank posted:

I thought elemental resistances were based on 1 resistance = 1% less damage from that source, and didn't work the same way as skills do (ie. requiring a certain threshold)?

I think it depends on where you're seeing the affix applied. When it's a base digit on a piece of gear, that is probably where you're seeing the base% contribution. But decoration affixes have to get to +10 before they start contributing any benefits. It seems pretty tedious.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Resistances from food are applied to base armour, rather than the "Fire Resist" skill, then, right?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Plank posted:

Resistances from food are applied to base armour, rather than the "Fire Resist" skill, then, right?

Yup. Or think of it as a temporary skill that activates for one mission until you faint.

Quite honestly, don't focus on resistances when you choose what armor to wear. The monster will just keep hitting harder. Skills is where the real utility is at. Being able to spot a capturable monster or sheathe half a second faster is much more useful.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 11, 2013

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Monster Hunter affixes: where simplicity and complexity get together and have Eraserhead's baby.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Sometimes I love being new this game. I never carry dung bombs so missions like this are fun. Still haven't carted aside from once or twice in the volcano because I always step on the sides to dodge.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
Is it just me, or is the Dios switch axe pretty much just ridiculously good end-game? There's only a couple weapons (with power phial) that even come close to its raw, and they're quite a bit harder to get. The Lucent Narga and Ceadeus ones look alright, but aren't nearly as easy to get as the dios one.

The lack of choice here is pretty depressing because I really love the switch axe, but I love crafting poo poo tons of weapons more.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
If you don't want to use the Dios axe, don't. Are you having such issues killing things that you feel that that axe is your only way to do well? If not, don't worry about it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goddammit Goldbeard Ceadeus I stab you and slash you and explode you and you still won't relinquish at least a little vial of your blood and a couple of shavings of your beard :mad: That and one conqueror seal are all I need to finish up the Helios X set but he won't give it.
He's not even hard to fight, just a slog because he moves around too much.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I'm not terribly far into the game myself but I have read just about this whole thread of people talking about how much they love all sorts of different weapons. I don't get the impression that there is Only One True Weapon (except for maybe that slime hammer that gets bragged about :) ).

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

5er posted:

I'm not terribly far into the game myself but I have read just about this whole thread of people talking about how much they love all sorts of different weapons. I don't get the impression that there is Only One True Weapon (except for maybe that slime hammer that gets bragged about :) ).

The only way to play Monster Hunter is by amassing a weapon collection large enough to equip a small army

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006
I have a bow gunning question. Does the base damage on a bowgun affect the damage of special shots (like crag shot or poison) or does it only affect the damage of normal shots (like pierce, normal, pellet).

EDIT: As a second question what's the best way to farm Earth Crystal? Free hunt or low rank Volcano? Or is there some other way that I'm not aware of.

Bugamol fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 11, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

YESSSS Battled and caught my first Rathian! :black101: I love how badass this game makes me feel when I take down a huge monster for the first time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

My first hill in Tri had to be the Barroth. My inexperienced rear end couldn't keep up with him in rage mode, I thought he was so fast he literally didn't have any openings and you just had to wait for him to calm down.

After beating the Diablos, I went back to the barroth and I was side-stepping him perfectly in rage and had him on his back the entire fight. It's a really awesome feeling.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I'm really digging the dual blades because I feel I can sidestep like a champ and get right back to hitting. Of course it also means a long-and-slow attack is harder to dodge but it feels way more responsive than a roll and I'm dodging things I feel would've hit me in the past.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

5er posted:

In Tri the lance pretty much was, for what it's worth.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

In Tri the lance pretty much was, for what it's worth.

It still feels like it is. It's just an omni-weapon. Super simple to use, has an amazing block that eases up most fights, can attack basically any monster part, deals great damage, etc.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

You know what they need to add? If you gather something, and that sets you over the bag limit, and you replace a consumable item slot with the new item you just picked up, you automatically loving consume the item. Seriously that poo poo pisses me off so much to not be able to use that last ration. gently caress.

Dishsoap
Dec 8, 2007
I don't think I "get" bowguns. Every time I've tried to use them, it adds about 15-20 minutes to my usual hunt time. I'm guessing they take a lot of practice to get good with, but I just can't seem to get the hang of them.

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
The problem with hammers is that they have a very short reach. Against some later monsters, especially those that have area-denying brick-wall style attacks and heavily armored heads (hello ivory lagi) it just falls apart.

The lance has fallen on hard times. It's a bit heavier now expecially since they fixed the super-backstep exploit, where nudging your analog stick in the opposite direction of where you wanted to go and then doing a backstep ended up with the backstep covering a huge distance. It's invulnerability frames when evading still feel the same though.

I think the gunlance might become a pretty serious weapon once people start to get the hang of it. It doesn't have a counter like the regular lance does, but it can dish out so much damage when you know how to use it, it's just unfair.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
What are good lines to go down on bow and light bowgun? I'm currently using lance, longsword, and hunting horn but I'd like to get into the ranged weapons a little bit except I get confused by all of these coatings and deviation stats. I'm currently at barioth in village and just got into HR on guild quests.

renojiin
Oct 26, 2005
College Slice
to the goon formally known as dementedghost it seems my power has gone out. I'll join you again if I can when it comes back on if not I'm sorry but thanks for the help

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ignimbrite posted:

A_Cup_Of_Ramen, Mailer, sorry I disappeared, my net is out (hell my parents landline is out) and I don't know how long it'll be until it's back on.

Ain't no thing. After a few abandons, a fair amount of pain and a lot of loud swearing we got all the good parts. All I need now are a few pounder+, some Long Fragments... and then charm farming. :/

I'll probably get the Long Fragments, which only rarely drop from the fourth randomly-available treasure spot, before I get one of the drat charms I need.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Fruit Chewy posted:

Is it just me, or is the Dios switch axe pretty much just ridiculously good end-game? There's only a couple weapons (with power phial) that even come close to its raw, and they're quite a bit harder to get. The Lucent Narga and Ceadeus ones look alright, but aren't nearly as easy to get as the dios one.

The lack of choice here is pretty depressing because I really love the switch axe, but I love crafting poo poo tons of weapons more.

I'm in the same boat. Before the Dios axe I was switching out axes based on element type and the monster I was fighting. Now I feel like it's less of a choice, and I'm not even saving money because I'm still upgrading my other axes! I think Locke Dunnegan is right and we don't need to worry about the extra damage so much. Especially after upgrading to Dios+ I find that monsters I was planning on having trouble against (DevilJho and Black Diablos) went pretty fast and relatively painlessly.

That being said, I'm still bringing it to Goldbeard because I have a feeling that fight's going to take a while anyway.

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!

Potsticker posted:

I'm in the same boat. Before the Dios axe I was switching out axes based on element type and the monster I was fighting. Now I feel like it's less of a choice, and I'm not even saving money because I'm still upgrading my other axes! I think Locke Dunnegan is right and we don't need to worry about the extra damage so much. Especially after upgrading to Dios+ I find that monsters I was planning on having trouble against (DevilJho and Black Diablos) went pretty fast and relatively painlessly.

That being said, I'm still bringing it to Goldbeard because I have a feeling that fight's going to take a while anyway.

Goldbeard ain't a big deal at all really. I did it like 3 times in a row the other night with some randoms and we were knocking it out pretty quick. We weren't even really coordinating that well, either.

The more I play Monster Hunter, either I'm becoming blind to its issues, or I'm starting to think that everything they do is super deliberate and they're brilliant game designers.

dvorak fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 12, 2013

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Potsticker posted:

Goldbeard is a long and boring fight (and holy poo poo I kinda feel sorry for people with only a 3DS who have to solo it :magical:) so cheesing it with slime isn't a bad thing. Don't remember to use the dragonator as early as possible - he isn't really hard to lure to it. Essentially, he's just Ceadeus without the boring chase, and he moves around. A lot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Reoxygenation posted:

Goldbeard is a long and boring fight (and holy poo poo I kinda feel sorry for people with only a 3DS who have to solo it :magical:) so cheesing it with slime isn't a bad thing. Don't remember to use the dragonator as early as possible - he isn't really hard to lure to it. Essentially, he's just Ceadeus without the boring chase, and he moves around. A lot.

It's either solo it or wait for Monday when I get together with other 3DS users (and one guy who uses the WiiU on a huge screen for lookie-loos who pass by the room) for the chance to do it as a team. And with G-Rank just around the corner I sort of feel like I'm wasting resources if I build any more HR armor. Otherwise there's not much else I can really do outside of grinding out 100% of the quests.

Might just craft a set of gunner armor and try going to town with pierce shots.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
The thing about slime is that it's the best element generally but raw damage is the only thing that matters for some weapons like the Greatsword, slime shot in guns can be pretty clunky and the Hunting Horn is pretty bad songs wise. Beach weapons aren't always a win button.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Finally built the ultimate corn-themed gunlance. Now I just need some awakening armor to make use of that 500 slime.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Explosive Corn Syrup.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Getting near 8 hours logged. Hunted my first Great Jaggi in Plains, was pretty easy. Went into Moga Woods and ended up fighting and killing two more, albeit separately, but still fun to go from a boss fight to fighting two back to back :black101:.

I need me some Machalite (?) Ore for some armor. That spawn in Moga or Plains? Only have one so far I got randomly.

\/\/\/ Thanks. Not sure what Deserted Island is, but I can check some out in Plains. \/\/\/

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Soul Glo posted:

Getting near 8 hours logged. Hunted my first Great Jaggi in Plains, was pretty easy. Went into Moga Woods and ended up fighting and killing two more, albeit separately, but still fun to go from a boss fight to fighting two back to back :black101:.

I need me some Machalite (?) Ore for some armor. That spawn in Moga or Plains? Only have one so far I got randomly.

Area 12 of Deserted Island, the free hunt area, has a fixed node that's pretty good for getting malachite, although it's a fairly common drop from most nodes in the plains as well.

• Locked thread