Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
It's not really a hassle. Tubes are more flexible than a dedicated macro lens in my opinion. I have a short one for using on my Hassie 150mm for portraits, it adds next to zero weight to my kit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Lumix GF6 supposedly has NFC? What the hell. Why does a camera need NFC, of all things?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Put jpegs on your phone?

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Lumix GF6 supposedly has NFC? What the hell. Why does a camera need NFC, of all things?

Pay for your coffee n' poo poo with your camera, duh. Digital wallet in my camera all day.

:whatup:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cameras in phones are so passe, the next frontier is phones in cameras.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

xzzy posted:

Cameras in phones are so passe, the next frontier is phones in cameras.

There are already production point and shoots that have android (at least one ships in April- not sure if its the first to market):
http://www.engadget.com/2013/04/04/galaxy-camera-wifi-shipping/

e: Ah hah! Cellular came out way back when, Wifi only this month:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/devices/samsung/galaxy-camera-white.html#fbid=gvTGvXVEE0M

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm starting to realize that my current monitor isn't the greatest for working in Lightroom, and I am thinking of upgrading. Has anyone used the new 27" Monoprice IPS monitor? The price is definitely right on it.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
They are very, very good. But you might want to get the Micro center model, which has a DisplayPort and a usable OSD.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

This one? http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Only a few bucks more, and actually in stock too.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Bob Socko posted:

Sounds like a lot of hassle. Guess I'll just stick with my dedicated macro lens. Thanks!

Editing this because I misread your original post! If you already have the dedicated macro, the extension tubes would be a downgrade from what you already have.

BUT for anyone else thinking of buying them, extension tubes are like the opposite of hassle. If you have any mid-range prime, it will likely work well with extension tubes. If you get a set with the contacts, all aperture stuff will continue to function with the tubes in place. Image quality is not compromised. The full set of Kenkos is like $60 on eBay - much cheaper than a dedicated lens. It's definitely the way to try out macro if you don't know if you'll use a dedicated lens enough to justify the price.

Now reverse-mounting on a Canon (without old FD lenses)... that's a hassle.

Goldmund posted:

This one? http://www.microcenter.com/product/384780/EQ276W_27_IPS_LED_Monitor

Only a few bucks more, and actually in stock too.

Dell U2713HM was recently available for $75 more than this one from dell w/ 3 year warranty and 0-dead/stuck pixel guarantee. Just saying...

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 5, 2013

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
With the real cheap extension tubes, you do have to watch out for light leaks. My $12 set leaks if I don't pay attention and hold them together / make sure the lens isn't sagging. But they were $12, so I don't really care.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dakana posted:

With the real cheap extension tubes, you do have to watch out for light leaks. My $12 set leaks if I don't pay attention and hold them together / make sure the lens isn't sagging. But they were $12, so I don't really care.

I have a set of extension tubes so cheap they thread together too tightly for me to remove by hand. No light leaks there. :smug:

I don’t use them enough to say, but it’s possible they leak at the lens mount.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Reverse mounting some lenses like small primes (FA-35/2, for example) you won't even have working focus, since the focus system simply moves the whole lens assembly. This works if you're hand holding but makes fine focusing all but impossible when you have to move the entire tripod assembly to within fractions of an inch.

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

longview posted:

Reverse mounting some lenses like small primes (FA-35/2, for example) you won't even have working focus, since the focus system simply moves the whole lens assembly. This works if you're hand holding but makes fine focusing all but impossible when you have to move the entire tripod assembly to within fractions of an inch.

Trying to use a tripod for macro without a focus rail is an exercise in frustration anyway.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gambl0r posted:

Dell U2713HM was recently available for $75 more than this one from dell w/ 3 year warranty and 0-dead/stuck pixel guarantee. Just saying...

Probably shouldn't have done it, but just ordered one of these for $585 shipped from Newegg.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I'm looking to upgrade from a t1i to either a t3i or a t4i.

Can anyone comment on if the t4i's auto focus is materially superior to the t3i's?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

frogbs posted:

I'm looking to upgrade from a t1i to either a t3i or a t4i.

Can anyone comment on if the t4i's auto focus is materially superior to the t3i's?

It won't necessarily be faster, but it should definitely be more intelligent, need to hunt less and work better in lower light. If you simply want faster AF (I pretty much only use center point, but I DO need speed) then upgrade your lens.

I'd probably upgrade to a 60d though, rebel->rebel is a bit of a dull transition, at least in my country Canon just dropped the price on it.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Dell's having a sale on U2713HM 27" IPS monitors.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/928...080-led-monitor

I got one two weeks ago when they were on sale for $550 and it's niiiiiiiiiiice for post-processing. 2560x1440 is amazing.

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
You getting any of the back light bleed problems some people complain about with this monitor?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Ferris Bueller posted:

You getting any of the back light bleed problems some people complain about with this monitor?

Nothing I've noticed in using it so far.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Gahhh, I figured they wouldn't go on sale that soon again. It's too late to cancel my other order without a restocking fee now =(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You might want to call them and complain anyway as some places will refund you the difference.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

powderific posted:

You might want to call them and complain anyway as some places will refund you the difference.

I'll have to do that, I've been a customer for so long that hopefully they'll play nice.

While we're talking monitors, what are peoples opinions on color calibrators? I'm considering picking up a Spyder 4, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill at the hobbyist level.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Ferris Bueller posted:

I mentioned this on the previous page, but mine has a slight light leak in the bottom left corner that I completely forgot about by day two. It's unnoticeable unless most of the screen is black... and even then it's not bad. I think if you buy it from Dell, you're going to get a recently-manufactured model, which are supposed to be much better than the early models in terms of light leaks. I got mine from Dell a week ago, manufacture date is January

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
Good to hear. I just wanted some none frothing at the mouth reviews as to how bad this actually was. It seems that some people, have had a ligitment complaint, where as others that have a case like yours are completely blowing it out of proportion.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Gambl0r posted:

mine has a slight light leak in the bottom left corner

I just set my screen all black and my bottom-left corner has a small light leak as well. Didn't know it was there until I read your post and tested. THANKS, OBAMA! <:mad:>

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pentax goons, any Pentax MX and/or Pentax-M 40mm/2.8 pancake owner here?

I am trying to turn this MX paper craft model

into 1:1 size

I have resized the original smaller 1 page components into bigger 3 pages of components, in U.S. letter size. If you have a MX, or a 40/2.8, can you print out one of the pages and tell me if they are accurate 1:1 size?

Here is the link of the pdf file

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I was looking for a macro lens for my Pentax ME Super and from my research the SMC M 100mm f/4 macro seems to be pretty well liked and produces good quality images. If I wanted to pick that up and also use it on my Rebel XSi until I can pick up the 100mm 2.8L macro, what kind of adapter, if it exists, would I need to get it to work properly?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I was looking for a macro lens for my Pentax ME Super and from my research the SMC M 100mm f/4 macro seems to be pretty well liked and produces good quality images. If I wanted to pick that up and also use it on my Rebel XSi until I can pick up the 100mm 2.8L macro, what kind of adapter, if it exists, would I need to get it to work properly?

Just go to ebay or amazon and look for any k mount (often listed as PK) to eos mount. With the XSi you shouldn't have to do anything to the lens to get it to fit (FF canon cameras sometimes hit the aperture lever, but I hear it's not an issue on the crop models).

Something like http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Moun...+mount+to+canon

In fact, I might have an extra one sitting at home that I could sell for hella cheap, I can't remember if I ever returned it or not after the 5d I tried buying turned out to not be real. I'll check when I get home though.

whatever7 posted:

Pentax goons, any Pentax MX and/or Pentax-M 40mm/2.8 pancake owner here?

I am trying to turn this MX paper craft model

into 1:1 size

I have resized the original smaller 1 page components into bigger 3 pages of components, in U.S. letter size. If you have a MX, or a 40/2.8, can you print out one of the pages and tell me if they are accurate 1:1 size?

Here is the link of the pdf file

I have an ME super and a 40mm pancake, it'd be close enough to check. I'll try and do this when I get home too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

I have an ME super and a 40mm pancake, it'd be close enough to check. I'll try and do this when I get home too.

Bonus points if you make it into a pinhole camera and take pictures with it.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mr. Despair posted:

Thanks dude. I haven't print out mine yet because I don't have a color printer.

If you can build one and take a group photo of it with the ME Super, I would put your photo in the PDF.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Thanks dude. I haven't print out mine yet because I don't have a color printer.

If you can build one and take a group photo of it with the ME Super, I would put your photo in the PDF.

I'm working on the lens right now, and I'll tell you right now that printing it onto standard 8x11.5 paper I had to scale it up to around 115% to get it close. It's maybe a hair bigger then the lens right now (113% or 114% would probably be perfect, the face part of the lens needs to be almost exactly 2.5" across for reference if you want to scale it more precisely).

The big issue is that scaling it up that much means that you cut off bits of the design (at least with the sheet the lens is on I don't think you lose anything terribly important, i'm not sure what that strip on the far right is really for).

e. actually 110% is probably closer, I was getting thrown off because I was taking into account the extra thickness of the aperture ring, but that makes the whole thing too big. That said I'm also apparently really terrible with paper models this is way too hard but hopefully that helps.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Apr 12, 2013

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OK I will rework the pdf.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Here is the lens next to the printout at 115%.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

Here is the lens next to the printout at 115%.

I'm the lack of a ruler in the photograph to give a useful sense of scale.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

Look at this guy that doesn't know the Pentax 40mm pancake has a 49mm filter thread.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

8th-samurai posted:

Look at this guy that doesn't know the Pentax 40mm pancake has a 49mm filter thread.

49mm, the second scrubbiest thread diameter, after 55mm.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

It's a size comparison between the paper cutout and the lens, what more do you want, gosh.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

SoundMonkey posted:

49mm, the second scrubbiest thread diameter, after 55mm.

52mm 4lyfe :snoop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Mr. Despair posted:

It's a size comparison between the paper cutout and the lens, what more do you want, gosh.

I want some drat SCIENTIFIC RIGOR.