Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

For some comedy, a BuyVM $15/year vps:

Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5520 @ 2.27GHz

time make -j1

real 1m49.932s
user 1m33.136s
sys 0m15.254s

make clean
time make -j1

real 1m4.323s 1m3.823s
user 0m52.315s 0m53.069s
sys 0m10.568s 0m10.252s

Apparently if you do make then make clean it is significantly faster on all subsequent makes until you delete the folder and start over.

What am I missing here, because that really looks pretty comparable :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

eightysixed posted:

Its funny because its way better than I expected it to be for basically no money. I wrote the first sentence expecting it to be really slow and it ended up almost identical to or better than all the more expensive 1-cpu VPS (and way faster than EC2 micro). Of course the reason it is so cheap is because you only get about 99.8% uptime and random reboots. But at least they have never lost my entire VM or backups (screw you DigitalOcean)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eightysixed posted:

1:04 instead of 1:49

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

1:04 instead of 1:49

Yea, but still thats $15 per year as opposed to $20 per month :v:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

eightysixed posted:

Yea, but still thats $15 per year as opposed to $20 per month :v:

The same VM is faster the second time because it's caching the files - nothing to do with the cost or comparing VM's

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies
Here's a couple more data points. The first is an Azure extra small VM, the second is running in under Win8 Hyper-V on my workstation here in the office. Both VMs are 1 CPU and have 768MB RAM.

model name : AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 4171 HE
stepping : 1
cpu MHz : 2094.707
cache size : 512 KB

real 1m49.463s
user 1m37.418s
sys 0m6.800s

model name : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU W3530 @ 2.8GHz
stepping : 5
cpu MHz : 2792.935
cache size : 8192 KB

real 1m10.497s
user 1m3.692s
sys 0m6.072s

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I'll play too. I've got a recently upgraded Linode 1024. It's located in Dallas.

code:
model name: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU L5630  @ 2.13GHz

make

real    2m2.108s
user    1m42.334s
sys     0m14.591s

make -j8

real    0m24.867s
user    2m46.089s
sys     0m17.008s
Unfortunately, I haven't been upgraded to the E5-2670 yet, but I imagine that'll happen soon.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I am in the market for reseller hosting. I am finally all done with Bounceweb (I had a large credit to use up) and have been unab,e to access anything twice in the last 2 days. It was good / cheap whilst it lasted.

I have about 60 websites (mainly wordpress installs) and am looking to add some web app hosting so looking for something with some headroom. A friend recommended http://www.uk2.net/reseller-hosting/ as its "unlimited" and 25 per month (if you buy 24 months in one go) and it includes WHMCS in that too... Can i do better? Fed up with poor uptime but need decent specs too.

I would love to go to a Goon host and have a cheap package with Lithium but their big package is not cheap.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

thegasman2000 posted:

I would love to go to a Goon host and have a cheap package with Lithium but their big package is not cheap.

you must have been looking at their VPS plans, not reseller packages. Check again :v:

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

eightysixed posted:

you must have been looking at their VPS plans, not reseller packages. Check again :v:

You are correct!

Moving is a pain in the rear end as Bounceweb has disables backups... FFS.

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

Looks like they just doubled the disk and bandwidth for Reseller plans.

thegasman2000 posted:

You are correct!

Moving is a pain in the rear end as Bounceweb has disables backups... FFS.

How else are they supposed to oversell their servers if they don't disable resource intensive backups? :q:

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
My wife has a website, the domain is through godaddy (hosting is elsewhere). Because her old, saved credit card number isn't good anymore and we didn't see the warning emails, her domain expired and so we got the parked/expired page. 30 minutes ago I paid the renewal and I've gotten the confirmation email - how long until her site (and more importantly email) comes back up? Minutes? Hours?

There's nothing I have to do through the hosting company, right? We're just waiting for the DNS poo poo to resync?

Edit: Nevermind, it just needed a couple hours to get right. It's back now.

jackpot fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 11, 2013

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

mooky posted:

How else are they supposed to oversell their servers if they don't disable resource intensive backups? :q:

Yeah they just expained in my ticket that its to stop over loading their servers... but they can provide a backup for $10 or $2.50 per GB, whichever is greater... I only want to move away. Is there another way for me to get my whole WHM and sites moved over?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

thegasman2000 posted:

Yeah they just expained in my ticket that its to stop over loading their servers... but they can provide a backup for $10 or $2.50 per GB, whichever is greater... I only want to move away. Is there another way for me to get my whole WHM and sites moved over?

If your host will not allow you access to backup your files and databases, your only other option is to FTP your files and use phpmyadmin to export databases.
Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do if they refuse to provide you access to your backups.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

DarkLotus posted:

If your host will not allow you access to backup your files and databases, your only other option is to FTP your files and use phpmyadmin to export databases.
Unfortunately, there is really nothing you can do if they refuse to provide you access to your backups.

Yeah they just said again i aint getting it enabled unless i pay... So i will FTP during peak hours and am now a very disgruntled customer.. well played BounceWank

mooky
Jan 14, 2012

thegasman2000 posted:

Yeah they just said again i aint getting it enabled unless i pay... So i will FTP during peak hours and am now a very disgruntled customer.. well played BounceWank

I've never heard of such a thing, way to hold your customers hostage bounceweb!

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

mooky posted:

I've never heard of such a thing, way to hold your customers hostage bounceweb!

yeah not happy.. have a backup script that "might" save my rear end / time. :woop:

On a side note anyone using WHMCS? I hate the look so looking for a theme or customising the default. Is it a pain?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

thegasman2000 posted:

yeah not happy.. have a backup script that "might" save my rear end / time. :woop:

On a side note anyone using WHMCS? I hate the look so looking for a theme or customising the default. Is it a pain?

https://lithiumhosting.com/billing is heavily modified, but a good example that anything is possible. I don't like how so many hosting companies that use WHMCS don't bother to even try to make the theme fit their design.
WHMCS Staff will recommend http://whmcsthemes.com/ who is actually a WHMCS customer to the best of my knowledge.

The biggest problem with the "Default" WHMCS theme is it is based on bootstrap but they added their own crappy CSS which makes it poo poo to work with.
If you're not looking to spend money working with a designer, I'd suggest whmcs themes.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Does anyone know why when I try and enter a new A Record it duplicates my entry? So for example if I try to add "bigfatgoon.com" it will add "bigfatgoon.com.bigfatgoon.com". Is it something stupidly obvious that I'm doing wrong?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Brady posted:

Does anyone know why when I try and enter a new A Record it duplicates my entry? So for example if I try to add "bigfatgoon.com" it will add "bigfatgoon.com.bigfatgoon.com". Is it something stupidly obvious that I'm doing wrong?

I assume bigfatgoon.com is your zone origin so you actually only need to put any labels that will come before bigfatgoon.com in the entry box. If you need to add a record on the domain itself like a MX or whatever try using the '@' symbol. I could be wrong but that is what I assume based on some other web hosts I've used before.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

doomisland posted:

I assume bigfatgoon.com is your zone origin so you actually only need to put any labels that will come before bigfatgoon.com in the entry box. If you need to add a record on the domain itself like a MX or whatever try using the '@' symbol. I could be wrong but that is what I assume based on some other web hosts I've used before.

Oh, I see. I feel silly now. Thank you!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
A while ago I complained in this thread about what a lovely, unethical company Enom is, and people suggested transferring my domains to another company.

One company in particular was recommended, but I never got round to it and now I can't remember the name. Suggestions? I don't want to make another mistake like Enom.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

fuf posted:

A while ago I complained in this thread about what a lovely, unethical company Enom is, and people suggested transferring my domains to another company.

One company in particular was recommended, but I never got round to it and now I can't remember the name. Suggestions? I don't want to make another mistake like Enom.

I don't sell domains through enom, I use Resellerclub, but I'm curious what issues you had with Enom.
Most people will suggest namecheap.

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 12, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

DarkLotus posted:

I don't sell domains through enom, I use Resellerclub, but I'm curious what issues you had with Enom.
Most people will suggest namecheap.

They started charging me $10 a month for some random service without my permission (it was opt-out rather than opt-in and I guess I missed the email). It showed up on my bank statement as "domain name registration" (even though it was something totally different) so there was no way to distinguish it from the automatic renewal of my domains, and I didn't notice for like a year.

I can't remember what the service was called but there were a bunch of blog posts complaining about it at the time and no response from enom.

I know it's my fault for being disorganised enough not to notice, but I still want to change in case it happens again (and from a vague sense of principle).

Thanks for the namecheap recommendation. Unless someone says otherwise I'll just go with that.

fuf fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 12, 2013

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Another popular recommendation for domains (and the one that I use) is NearlyFreeSpeech.NET.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

fuf posted:

Thanks for the namecheap recommendation. Unless someone says otherwise I'll just go with that.

Namecheap still use their enom reseller account despite having ICANN accreditation in their own right. That said, I've never had problems with them, whereas I have had problems with enom themselves

other good ones are internet.bs and gandi.net

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I use Gandi. I am pissed off because Namecheap resulted in my site being down for two days, losing a ridiculous amount of ad revenue and essentially being delisted by google. No response, no reason, no eta, entirely loving worthless and useless support.

Brady posted:

a dns record looks like this:
www IN A 172.166.4.15

You are either looking for:
@ IN A
or
bigfatgoon.com. IN A

(note the period)

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

intoVPS have just doubled their monthly traffic on all plans

$10/mo - 512 ram (1gb burst) - 30gb hdd - 1tb/mo
$20/mo - 1gb ram (2gb burst) - 60gb hdd - 2tb/mo
etc

other than being openvz they compare pretty favourably to Linode (pre-upgrade at least) especially if you just want the $10 plan

-j1
real 1m9.189s
user 0m56.541s
sys 0m7.191s

-j4
real 0m19.870s
user 1m8.510s
sys 0m6.970s

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

Namecheap resulted in my site being down for two days,

weird, in both thick and thin models, the nameservers are stored at the registry not the registrar

were you using their DNS or something? (don't)

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Milkie Galore posted:

weird, in both thick and thin models, the nameservers are stored at the registry not the registrar

autorenew failed because namecheap's reseller account or whatever at whoever they resell was out of funds(?), and this wasn't resolved for about 2.5 days

Registry response is: Billing failure; 2104:Billing failure (ACCOUNT:46 NSF)

This is *all* of their updates on the matter:

quote:

Update @ 11:45 AM EST | 15:45 GMT
Unfortunately, we have no updates on the issue. We deeply apologize for the inconveniences this is causing. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Update @ 2:10 PM EST | 18:10 GMT
The issue is still being worked on unfortunately. We are extremely sorry for the inconveniences caused. We will let you know once we have any updates on the issue.

Update @ 19.40 EST | 23.40 GMT
We are still working on the issue and doing our best to resolve it as soon as possible. Please accept our apologies for the inconveniences. Your patience is highly appreciated.

Update @ 02.00 AM EST | 06.00 GMT
Our technical team is still working on the issue. We will keep you updated on the process. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Update @ 8:24 AM EST | 12:24 GMT
Unfortuantely the issue is still present, we are working with our upstream provider to get this resolved as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience, please take our sincere apologies for inconveniences caused due to this.

Update @ 3:28 PM EST | 19:28 GMT
We are still working on the issue. It has been escalated to the Registry and it may take more time for the issue to be fixed, unfortunately. We highly appreciate your understanding in this matter.

Update @ 8.20 AM EST | 12.20 GMT

Unfortunately we have not received further updates from our upstream provider. We are still working with them in order to resolve the issue as soon as possible. Please accept our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences and thank you for your patience.

Entirely worthless. Also still not resolved.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Milkie Galore posted:

What don't you like about NC's DNS? The interface kinda sucks, but I haven't seen anything about it that concerns me.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I don't use namecheap's DNS for the same reason I don't use their hosting, or their email service. There are other companies who focus on these things and do them better (I use HE.net for DNS). I shouldn't have to worry about namecheap suddenly deciding to pull a GoDaddy.

River
Apr 22, 2012
Nothin' but the rain
Guess I'll join in. Run on an Afterburst VM, on the 'Huge' plan.

time make

real 1m5.849s
user 0m43.505s
sys 0m9.480s

make clean

time make -j4

real 0m15.841s
user 0m49.743s
sys 0m8.297s

Here's it run on a brand new Ram Node '128mb SSD-Cached' VM ($16/Year, gently caress yes!):

time make
real 1m35.944s
user 1m22.421s
sys 0m8.459s

make clean

time make -j1
real 1m25.504s
user 1m15.960s
sys 0m6.551s

River fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 14, 2013

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/
I got WHMCS installed and found a free theme, I then customised it and am finally happy. Sounds good right? Well now I have decided that instead of having it as a link form my wordpress install I want it as a standalone. So it needs moving from a folder to the root of the domain.... I have a headache now right?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

thegasman2000 posted:

I got WHMCS installed and found a free theme, I then customised it and am finally happy. Sounds good right? Well now I have decided that instead of having it as a link form my wordpress install I want it as a standalone. So it needs moving from a folder to the root of the domain.... I have a headache now right?

It's actually quite easy. Just update the database to reflect the new path, then move the files / folders to the new location. Nothing else should need to be done.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
/

DarkLotus posted:

It's actually quite easy. Just update the database to reflect the new path, then move the files / folders to the new location. Nothing else should need to be done.

I moved it and its working but there is an error with the license now. sent in a ticket. thanks

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Linode hacked. Cancel those credit cards.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Comatoast posted:

Linode hacked. Cancel those credit cards.

I'm not going to read 30 pages of IRC logs; any chance of a summary?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DNova posted:

I'm not going to read 30 pages of IRC logs; any chance of a summary?

Pretty sure it's just the forced password reset from a few days ago:

http://blog.linode.com/2013/04/12/security-notice-linode-manager-password-reset/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The interesting bits start at 5:03 this morning.

TLDR;
Disclaimer: This is what I gather. I could be very wrong.
What it seems like is that Linode's vps manager was breached and used to gather data for several weeks. Linode found about it, and, apparently being blackmailed by the hackers, attempted to cover it up. Eventually Linode went to the police thus ruining the agreement with the hackers. The hackers are angry, and say they can release linode customer credit card list.

Comatoast fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Apr 15, 2013