Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Catching up on a few episodes today, really enjoyed the Lily Tomlin ep. She's one of the first comedians I can remember seeing on TV. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

BrooklynBruiser posted:

So I'm pretty sure Nick Offerman is a god. I want to live in his and Chris Pratt's post-apocalyptic town.

I didn't know much about him and was delighted to by the conversation.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Offerman has the most interesting laugh. Great interview all around.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Jenna-Louise Coleman has THE BEST VOICE. ohmygod :3:

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Geekslinger posted:

Offerman has the most interesting laugh. Great interview all around.

I was even getting a big kick at hearing Jonah laugh in the background

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I've been waiting for this guest ever since Chris mentioned he knew him. gently caress yes - Walton loving Goggins.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

The stand-up show was much better this time.

jlechem
Nov 2, 2011

Fun Shoe
For the most part I like this show. The hostful episodes suck bad. Chris has a tendency to be gushy on his guests but he's not a CNN anchor either. Scan for the big names and it can be entertaining. I haven't seen his stand up so I don't know if it's any good or not. I have gotten him to email me and respond to a tweet in a not nice manner.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

jlechem posted:

I have gotten him to email me and respond to a tweet in a not nice manner.

What did he say to you?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I like Divine Fits but goddamn, Hardwick should not be allowed to interview bands. He's completely oblivious when it comes to music. He asks questions like "So uh, you, where do you live? Mmmhm, do you want to live anywhere else sometime?" are you kidding

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

The Berzerker posted:

I like Divine Fits but goddamn, Hardwick should not be allowed to interview bands. He's completely oblivious when it comes to music. He asks questions like "So uh, you, where do you live? Mmmhm, do you want to live anywhere else sometime?" are you kidding

The Dave Grohl podcast was pretty good, but frankly I'm not sure if that was because of or in spite of Chris.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

jlechem posted:

For the most part I like this show. The hostful episodes suck bad. Chris has a tendency to be gushy on his guests but he's not a CNN anchor either. Scan for the big names and it can be entertaining. I haven't seen his stand up so I don't know if it's any good or not. I have gotten him to email me and respond to a tweet in a not nice manner.

I've only gotten into this show recently but I found the recent hostful episode a welcome respite from Hardwick spending an hour with his nose nestled deep in his guest's butthole.

I used to find Maron's standoffish, dismissive approach to some of his guests' careers off-putting but it's way, way, way, way more interesting than baby James Lipton making TARDIS jokes. I actually LIKE Hardwick but his interview style is often indistinguishable from that of your typical press junket (especially if the guest isn't a comedian).

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Dancing Potato posted:

I used to find Maron's standoffish, dismissive approach to some of his guests' careers off-putting but it's way, way, way, way more interesting than baby James Lipton making TARDIS jokes. I actually LIKE Hardwick but his interview style is often indistinguishable from that of your typical press junket (especially if the guest isn't a comedian).
I actually like Chris Hardwick, but I do agree with a part of this. I started listening to the Nerdist because I love comedy and I love comedians talking about comedy. I've listened less and less when it became big and they started getting actors and musicians and famous people because, as you said here, Chris doesn't know much about those fields and tends to interview them like anyone else would, which is not entertaining to me. It's gone from the "inside baseball" thing I love about podcasts to just another "late night" interview style, which obviously is what Hardwick is going for, because that's his future.

To me, because of the nature of podcasts, I'd rather listen to a musician interviewing other musicians, comedians interviewing comedians, actors interviewing actors.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
In regards to the stand up cluster, I was about to skip it because they're usually pretty bad, but I've been wanting to look up some up and coming comics to see what the current crop of baby comics is looking like. Chris's little host bits were pretty funny, but I was annoyed at him using the "great band name" joke, which is incredibly hack at this point. The comics were pretty good, with the exception of Ali Wong who was pretty loving terrible (why is she using that stupid loving voice?) . I particularly liked Ron Funches and Aparna Nancherla a whole dang lot. I'm glad that either through coincidence or design, Chris got a pretty good balance of male and female comics.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

In regards to the stand up cluster, I was about to skip it because they're usually pretty bad,

There's only been 3 so far, and the first one was great.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

There's only been 3 so far, and the first one was great.

gently caress, owned.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

BrooklynBruiser posted:

The Dave Grohl podcast was pretty good, but frankly I'm not sure if that was because of or in spite of Chris.

I don't dislike Nerdist episodes where the guest is a music person, I just think Jonah or even Matt's presence really helps those ones.

Dancing Potato posted:

I actually LIKE Hardwick but his interview style is often indistinguishable from that of your typical press junket (especially if the guest isn't a comedian).

Agreed, he also tries to relate everything they say to stand-up which leads to some awkwardly clumsy questions sometimes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I think you guys are being a bit harsh. Yeah some shows aren't as good as others but it's generally to do with the people they are interviewing. It doesn't matter to me that they don't intimately know some ones work, if you want that style it's been done else where.

I enjoy the episodes where it's just them talking and their joint stand up. They have proper chemistry together. For instance I think jonah is great but his podcast really isn't as good with out the other 2 guys.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I still like the show, I just think that when they have a music person on, Jonah should be more involved (or at least be there). Compare the Divine Fits episode to the Henry Rollins episode and see the jump in quality from having someone who knows literally anything about the subject at hand in the room.

I liked this week's hostful a lot, too.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Jippa posted:

I enjoy the episodes where it's just them talking and their joint stand up. They have proper chemistry together.
I agree with this, I thought I was the only person who enjoyed the hostfuls. Even the best guests they have are the guests where they don't interview the guest. I think that's why the comedian interviews are better, because most of the comics they know and can just sort of shoot the poo poo with and go off on tangents. I don't really care if the guest started in Groundlings or Second City or has a deep passion for their acting.

Unless the guest starts doing that, the interview is pretty dry and Chris has a hard time finding things to talk about and you get the same ole questions. I almost skipped the first podcast they had with a pro wrestler because I don't care about that crap, but CM Punk was awesome. When I was done listening I felt more like "I'd really enjoy hanging out with that guy" which is what makes great Nerdist interviews and you don't get on the TV chat shows. (Brian Williams appearing on Daily Show being an exception)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

The Berzerker posted:

I still like the show, I just think that when they have a music person on, Jonah should be more involved (or at least be there). Compare the Divine Fits episode to the Henry Rollins episode and see the jump in quality from having someone who knows literally anything about the subject at hand in the room.

I liked this week's hostful a lot, too.

Yea I really love Nerdist stuff, and I'm pretty sure I enjoy the vast majority of hostful stuff too, but in their group Chris is the stand up/general nerdlord guy and Jonah is the music guy, so when there's a musician on he's the best to talk with them because he can actually talk on a better level.

Chris is a really funny guy who has a great interview method with the focus on a more relaxed atmosphere and all, but it's not hating on the dude to say there are some things his guest hosts do better. That's why there's more than one dude there, they have different skills and expertise and all.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
To be fair, one of the major differences is that there's a non-musical element that you can use to steer the conversation in the direction of with Rollins because he's done so much outside music. I'd imagine less so with Divine Fits.

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Hardwick is on a roll. On top of the BBC America Nerdist show, Talking Dead just got picked up for a third season and AMC also picked up All-Star Celebrity Bowling for this fall.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Well he has to pay for Matt's guitars and Volvo somehow :colbert:.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

The Dominic Monaghan would have been more interesting without the twenty minutes of Twitter tips.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Geekslinger posted:

Hardwick is on a roll. On top of the BBC America Nerdist show, Talking Dead just got picked up for a third season and AMC also picked up All-Star Celebrity Bowling for this fall.

There's also going to be a Talking Bad show on AMC this summer; did they announce who was hosting that? I assumed he would be.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Geekslinger posted:

Talking Dead just got picked up for a third season and AMC also picked up All-Star Celebrity Bowling for this fall.
They'd be insane not do more "Talking ___" shows. Talking Dead gets 4-5M viewers a week which, as Chris pointed out, is the same numbers shows like Game of Thrones pulls in. I bet Talking Dead costs a little less to make-- you don't have to keep cutting the heads off of horses and paying women to be topless.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy

CapnBry posted:

They'd be insane not do more "Talking ___" shows. Talking Dead gets 4-5M viewers a week which, as Chris pointed out, is the same numbers shows like Game of Thrones pulls in. I bet Talking Dead costs a little less to make-- you don't have to keep cutting the heads off of horses and paying women to be topless.

Apparently it's all non-union workers since it's a reality show so it's probably cheap as poo poo

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Thelonius Van Funk posted:

Apparently it's all non-union workers since it's a reality show so it's probably cheap as poo poo

Considering what Dave Anthony says on WTR about how little the writers on Talking Dead make due to union loopholes, I would think you are right

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

The Berzerker posted:

Considering what Dave Anthony says on WTR about how little the writers on Talking Dead make due to union loopholes, I would think you are right

They have writers?!

Edit: I sure wish hostfuls hadn't degenerated into them singing everything between weird silences because they no longer spend time together and therefore have nothing to talk about because there's a widening gap between their lives.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 22, 2013

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CapnBry posted:

I'm not sure I'd want to watch people dissecting Mad Men or Breaking Bad the way they do with Walking Dead. Not just because both of those series are ending but I think the discussion would be near-insufferable.

However, I would wholly support extending Immortalized's running time to an hour and having people try to figure that poo poo out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I actually liked the last season of Talking Dead, it sounds like a lot of the issues with it came from AMC being shits and obsessed with using the young looking guy to promote Twitter and poo poo. Hopefully the momentum keeps up.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Welp, the Hardwick empire expands!

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/04/chris-hardwick-makes-the-leap-to-late-night-on-comedy-central/

He gets his own late night show on CC, following the Colbert Report.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

They mentioned that the BBC show improved once Matt joined the writing staff and was able to show them how to 'do' Chris' kind of humour. I wonder how involved they'll be with this thing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chris Hardwick vs Pete Holmes in "battle for late late night"

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Chris Hardwick vs Pete Holmes in "battle for late late night"
I like Chris and Pete, but it kinda sucks that they have talk shows before Jimmy Pardo and Paul F. Tompkins.

Capt. Supermarket
Sep 30, 2007

The Dark One posted:

They mentioned that the BBC show improved once Matt joined the writing staff and was able to show them how to 'do' Chris' kind of humour. I wonder how involved they'll be with this thing.

I really hate Matt Mira so I hope he's not involved with the new show.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

tnimark posted:

I like Chris and Pete, but it kinda sucks that they have talk shows before Jimmy Pardo and Paul F. Tompkins.

Jimmy needs a talk show. PFT needs a full on variety show.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Jimmy needs a talk show. PFT needs a full on variety show.

He already does, it just happens to not be on TV. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I know. But I live on the other side of the country and I wanna seeeeeeeeeee it.

• Locked thread