Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Coughing-up Tweed posted:

well according to Rec. ITU-R BS.708 they don't

they don't, but they're not advertised has being accurate audio reproduction

they're advertised as "this is the sound dr dre likes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pagancow posted:

you're not supposed to connect the lines, that would state that there is content from no saturation to full saturation there.

oh yeah i was gonna reply to this

your software is not doing it right but actual professional equipment it looks like this:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nomnom Cookie posted:

microphone in front of a tape deck, the mark of quality

because tape = compact cassette :milk:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

its tape

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sniep posted:

oh yeah i was gonna reply to this

your software is not doing it right but actual professional equipment it looks like this:

of course you got something differnet you ran a different signal through it!

halp, i ran paint.exe through my mp3 encoder and it didn't produce Metallica wtf frauenhoffer

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xZgCVG_Bzk

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nice signal legalizer btw

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

lol 0:16 almost sounds like it's going to turn into the windows 98 startup sound

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
you can just do that in a linux but cat file > /dev/dsp

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

i wish i had discovered this so i could have released an avant-garde glitch album to glowing pitchfork reviews and gallons of hipster cum

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I think I heard this on an AFX album once.

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
NAB is by far the best show to sperg out at because you can go and just gently caress with all of the cutting edge A/V stuff that's super-expensive and would never be seen outside of a profesisonal environment. And then you can go out to the sat pavillion and get vendors to burn $50 in sat time on you just as a demo as long as you don't stand in front of the feed horn.

college ruled.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Jimmy Carter posted:

NAB is by far the best show to sperg out at because you can go and just gently caress with all of the cutting edge A/V stuff that's super-expensive and would never be seen outside of a profesisonal environment. And then you can go out to the sat pavillion and get vendors to burn $50 in sat time on you just as a demo as long as you don't stand in front of the feed horn.

college ruled.

its basically like fry's for pro video that is open only one week a year.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

erre day i'm encodin'

Looks like I need an upgrade because they're throwing money at me to watch progress bars.

#swag

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I honestly wasn't expecting to see megui in a professional environment

how much software do you use that requires a dongle anyway

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

mebbe 8-track but w/e same difference

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Silver Alicorn posted:

I honestly wasn't expecting to see megui in a professional environment

how much software do you use that requires a dongle anyway

The audio guys have tons of dongles. The video software hasn't gotten that crazy yet.

Also, lol yeah i'm going to use Megui, need those scaling methods in AVISYNTH. Last I checked, Squeeze still only has bilinear scaling.

also, x264 is way better at making your files small compared to MainConcept

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Nomnom Cookie posted:

mebbe 8-track but w/e same difference

get on my level

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

erre day i'm encodin'

Looks like I need an upgrade because they're throwing money at me to watch progress bars.

#swag

what kind of crazy settings are you using to get the processing that slow on serious hardware

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

what kind of crazy settings are you using to get the processing that slow on serious hardware

~video sekretz~

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

pagancow posted:

erre day i'm encodin'

#swag

is that a mac pro or something else?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Who cares what it is? It has 6 cores hyper threaded i7

SIX

COREEZZZ

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
oh poo poo i forgot intel made a six core cpu that's why i asked

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

x264.exe --level 4.1 --preset veryslow --tune film --crf 19 --vbv-bufsize 31250 --vbv-maxrate 31250 --output "output" "input"

Its for a visually lossless master to play back on a PS3 in a theater, and to serve as an archive that can play across our network.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i do my testing on an 8-node 64-core cluster

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

15.2mbps avg 39.8mbps peak

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
the ps3 is surprisingly good at playing back video, admit it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
i have no complaints about the performance of this console as a video player

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

pagancow posted:

Also, lol yeah i'm going to use Megui, need those scaling methods in AVISYNTH. Last I checked, Squeeze still only has bilinear scaling.

./x264 --crf 21 -o "vid.264" "vid.avs"

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Moist von Lipwig posted:

the ps3 is surprisingly good at playing back video, admit it

Nope it chokes on level 4.1 avc compliant files, just like macbook pros. Thats why the max bitrate is just shy of 40mbps as it craps out as soon as it spikes above 42ish

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

pagancow posted:

Nope it chokes on level 4.1 avc compliant files, just like macbook pros. Thats why the max bitrate is just shy of 40mbps as it craps out as soon as it spikes above 42ish

But but my Cell Processoruuuuu~

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
is that a disk access issue or processing issue

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Suspicious Dish posted:

./x264 --crf 21 -o "vid.264" "vid.avs"

they say you cant see a difference with CRF 21 or lower buuuuuttt, I see it when there is high grain, or lots of fast moving stuff.

i see it.

i see it forever...

Also I wonder if they run these tests on uncompressed source and not just some already poorly compressed mainconcept encoded .mts

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
i've always wondered how the hell some TV DVD's, particularly older stuff like X-Files and Star Trek TNG, are so terrible at playing on devices, including the PC. the discs either don't read at all or they stop halfway through. i suppose the answer would be terrible dvd authoring, but I wonder how you could even screw that up in the first place. the only device I own which can reliably play those kind of DVDs is the PS3.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe you should wash the cheeto dust off your hands before handling your dvds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

yeah what the gently caress, i've never had any problem with tv shows on old school optical media.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive had trouble when trying to make those vcd things

1st season of family guy downloaded and you could fit 3xeps (about 200mb ea) on a cd with the vcd option which gave it closer to 800mb of data coz there was less checksumming or something so more room for bits

itd play back on dvd players, but usually no fast foward or rewind, you could skip to next file but itd also play back a bit jittery at times

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Well yeah mode2/xa has no error correction because it assumes it will be in the content like in the mpeg1 stream on vcd

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's cool I like it

can you use that mode for regular file system poo poo and just be like who gaf about erros?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
you can but it sucks and i believe the cdi used xa so the games are highly prone to crapping out or maybe that was jaguar 64 cd i forget

• Locked thread