Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, she looks like a cross between Maya and Soul Hackers' Hitomi.

Also, regarding the Soul Hackers 3DS release, I wasn't aware of this until just now, but there's a new dungeon and bonus boss. It's Raidou Kuzunoha the XIVth and Raido Kuzunoha the XIVth. Gotou is along for the ride, too. :allears: They are voiced, though, which will be weird.

I hope NISA gets the rights and not Ghostlight.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The dungeon isn't actually new, it was in the PS version.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Yeah, and apparently Raido and Raidou are just extra bonus bosses, the original just had pompadour guy.

Although I wonder who's harder?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

Yeah, and apparently Raido and Raidou are just extra bonus bosses, the original just had pompadour guy.

Although I wonder who's harder?

Both should be "fun" but I think the new additions are probably going to end up being tougher.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Len posted:

I think I have a problem.

Not pictured: The copy of FES I loaned out to a friend or the other (unopened) Raidou 1 I got thanks to shenanigans involving a local resale store.

Your DDS1 isn't in the original cardboard/paper box. :colbert:

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Devil Survivor 2 question:

Doing the Sunday Joe & Ronaldo fight, my team breakdown is:

Main (12/30/15/25, I think), 62
Sleipnir, 57
Culebre, 60

Fumi, 60
Titania, 60
Rangda, 58

Keita, 60
Ganesha, 61
Susano-o, 61

Jungo, 59
Rangda,58
Rakshaka,58

I really don't want to grind to do this fight anymore but I'm also getting pulped and thrown into a blender any time the opposing side gets turn priority. Also they are getting way more actions than my team, so after the initial round of destroying a few units I just get ruined. Joe is also absurd to fight against because of his range, he is obviously the most powerful unit of this fight and has to be taken down in one round or I'm just hosed.

Any advice on this fight? I'm pretty confident in my overall team build, I've made the game my bitch for the most part and have had to reset on exactly two boss fights throughout the entire thing, and I'm definitely a veteran to the SMT series, so it's not that it's "too hard." This particular fight is just giving me a lot of grief, which after the final Septentrione fight is saying a lot. My first impressions are that Ganesha and Rakshaka are mostly dead weight here, perhaps Titania as well, but I'm not sure what to fuse them into.

Help me SA, you're my only hope!

edit: lol nevermind, just beat it. For future reference, the key is apparently to just skip a bunch of turns without moving to keep your turn priority up and draw them to you.

vanov fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Apr 12, 2013

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schubalts posted:

Your DDS1 isn't in the original cardboard/paper box. :colbert:

It is not :( It's from those reprints Amazon sold in 2010. I saw what people were asking for that extra cardboard sleeve and I'm not that big a fan. It's like that one goon who linked he ebay auction for DDS1 with the sleeve and was asking over $80.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
I wouldn't part with my sleevebox for any price, but I can understand people wanting a large sum for something that will probably never be made again.

I actually still have the entire box of swag (that pendant is heavier than it looks) that came with Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, which is going for a surprisingly low amount of money on Ebay.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Schubalts posted:

I wouldn't part with my sleevebox for any price, but I can understand people wanting a large sum for something that will probably never be made again.

I actually still have the entire box of swag (that pendant is heavier than it looks) that came with Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete, which is going for a surprisingly low amount of money on Ebay.

It just seems like entirely too much money in my opinion. It's kind of like for DS1 I went into *gasp* Gamestop and managed to get them to order one from a place a couple states away. It had the box and direction cost me $15. Yet there were TONS of people who refused to attempt just that because Gamestop is a terrible place.

Cromlech
Jan 5, 2007

TOODLES
Soul hackers comes out this Tuesday! Finally. I wonder if it'll be really hard to find in stores, though?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wow that's sooner than I thought. I haven't even picked up Etrian Odyssey 4 yet and I'm guessing that'll probably be the better game though.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wow that's sooner than I thought. I haven't even picked up Etrian Odyssey 4 yet and I'm guessing that'll probably be the better game though.

It depends on what you are after. From a gameplay standpoint I'd say EO4 wins. If you enjoy decent stories, you can't go wrong with Soul Hackers though. Gameplay in Soul Hackers is pretty good too, just not as solid as EO4, unless they made some massive changes to the systems in the remake that I'm not aware of.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Soul Hackers it's very much in the style of the SNES Shin Megami Tensei titles. I think it was even mentioned earlier in this thread or the 3DS one. If you played any of those, Soul Hackers is pretty much up your alley.

That said, Etrian Odyssey 4 is a drat fine game. Too bad I couldn't find any physical copies of it since I heard it included nice freebies and such, but after having some fun with the demo, I just decided to get in on that. As I said, drat fine game. :thumbsup:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 13, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
DDS2 was good. Not great, but good. The last dungeon was not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, though it certainly wasn't what I would call a blast either. The plot was kind of silly and I was just kind of rolling with it towards the end but I think it worked out more or less.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

Nate RFB posted:

DDS2 was good. Not great, but good. The last dungeon was not nearly as bad as everyone made it out to be, though it certainly wasn't what I would call a blast either. The plot was kind of silly and I was just kind of rolling with it towards the end but I think it worked out more or less.

Really, my only big issue with it is that the ending doesn't really...do anything. The whole game appears to be a fairly lengthy meditation on the nature of death, fate, war, human conflict, the pointlessness and beauty of love, religion and culture and government and the possibilities of life after death and science gone wrong and all of this poo poo, concluding with every single character dying and then you get teleported to the goddamned Sun to wage war with the divine and you're really wondering what's gonna happen when you get there and...then...

You sorta just...punch somebody and everything is good...for a reason? The game says that somehow somebody saw some sort of really beautiful lesson in the human condition, but the game doesn't actually share with you what that lesson might be. There's no moral to the story, and it was a story that seemed like it had basically infinite morals.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing an copy of Soul Hackers - it feels...dated. I can't put into words why, but having things like an excess of information, while not really getting a lot of info, combined with a weird interface and such makes it feel like an older game, and just makes me want to play something more like Strange Journey. Also, combat is strange - it's speedy, but at its own pace, making it really hard to understand what's going on sometimes. Oh, and there're problems with text at times, where the second or third line will be bumped down an extra line - in the case of the third line, this does mean that it's sometimes out of the text box, which just looks sloppy.

Some cool stuff though, such as the way that battle lines are handled (when the person in front perishes, the person behind moves up to take their place), the fully-voiced dialogue, demon loyalty (when it's not irritating, anyway), that sort of stuff. And I'm not very far in the story, but it's starting to get interesting.

Demon negotiation loving sucks though. Christ.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 12, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Demon negotiation loving sucks though. Christ.

It gets somewhat less tedious once you get Lady Killer which at least makes SOME negotiations less loving random and dumb.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
DDS2 should have ended at the Airport. The Sun, and everything that happened there, was dumb as butt.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Playing an copy of Soul Hackers - it feels...dated. I can't put into words why, but having things like an excess of information, while not really getting a lot of info, combined with a weird interface and such makes it feel like an older game, and just makes me want to play something more like Strange Journey.

"More Dated than SJ" is really making me want to skip this one

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...
I dunno what it is about first-person dungeon crawls that gets me so excited, but there's just not enough of them around anymore. Too bad SMTIV isn't going that route outside of the battles.

Also, after playing more of P2:EP, I really wish they'd make another Persona with adult characters. I know it's not likely, but having adult shenanigans is definitely a hundred times better than teenage anime shenanigans.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Proto Cloud posted:

Also, after playing more of P2:EP, I really wish they'd make another Persona with adult characters. I know it's not likely, but having adult shenanigans is definitely a hundred times better than teenage anime shenanigans.

I'm pretty sure that's what literally EVERYONE wants. I am so tired of highschools.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

"More Dated than SJ" is really making me want to skip this one

It's a port of an old game. Of course it's gonna be dated.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Playing an copy of Soul Hackers - it feels...dated. I can't put into words why,

It came out in 1997.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I'm ready for some 90s dungeon crawling. Are any of the dungeons as bad as Strange Journey? (or better yet, worse?)

El Belmondo
Apr 3, 2011

by XyloJW

MarsDragon posted:

I'm ready for some 90s dungeon crawling. Are any of the dungeons as bad as Strange Journey? (or better yet, worse?)

Nah, I think the worst is a few teleport dungeons that make Eridanus and Grus look like Persona 4 dungeons. Soul Hackers is reportedly very easy.

Strange Journey is actually more hardcore than most megatens have been a decade.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nemissa alone makes Soul Hackers kind of easy street. When she's hitting for 700 damage against a boss while the protagonist is barely breaking 50? Yeaaah.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Nemissa alone makes Soul Hackers kind of easy street. When she's hitting for 700 damage against a boss while the protagonist is barely breaking 50? Yeaaah.

Yeah, she's got a lot going for her. You can even get her ultimate weapon really early, you know, just in case you wanted her to murder things with her regular attack too.

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't see it in the last couple of pages. But anyways, here's some videos of Shin Megami Tensei IV's battle system. It's mostly similar to SMT III's, with the exception of that grinning thing.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Boneless Jogger posted:

Sorry if this was already posted, I didn't see it in the last couple of pages. But anyways, here's some videos of Shin Megami Tensei IV's battle system. It's mostly similar to SMT III's, with the exception of that grinning thing.

I love how the enemy sprites get blown away on the screen, I can't wait. Also that boss battle music is so good.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Boneless Jogger posted:

Does the sprite work on the enemy side come across as incredibly lazy to anyone else? Particularly the animations. I might be a bit spoiled by EO4's transition to 3D modeled enemies.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
Eh, the enemy side doesn't look to bad to bad to me, but I was watching the smaller Youtube player on Siliconera, so maybe I didn't get a good look. The protagonist having a significantly different art style from the demons on the player side a bit jarring, though.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I love how the enemy sprites get blown away on the screen, I can't wait. Also that boss battle music is so good.

Yeah, that seems like a badass boss theme. In fact, all the battle music reminds me of SMT1/2's style, which is pretty cool! I've always wished for another SMT with Tsukasa Masuko doing the soundtrack, and I guess this is as close as we'll get to that. :v:

Shoji Meguro IS the one doing the music for SMTIV, right? I forgot.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Dorroile posted:

Shoji Meguro IS the one doing the music for SMTIV, right? I forgot.

Nope, it's Kenichi Tsuchiya and Ryota Kozuka.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

Even better. I think Meguro deserves a loooooooong vacation. Maybe he can spend some time to put together the J-pop band he so desperately wants to be in. :v:

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Dorroile posted:

Even better. I think Meguro deserves a loooooooong vacation. Maybe he can spend some time to put together the J-pop band he so desperately wants to be in. :v:

I actually really liked Meguro's music for Strange Journey. I just wish he would expand out from J-pop more often.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fiend Computer posted:

I actually really liked Meguro's music for Strange Journey. I just wish he would expand out from J-pop more often.

He does. It's called Trauma Center. :colbert:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Rascyc posted:

Does the sprite work on the enemy side come across as incredibly lazy to anyone else? Particularly the animations. I might be a bit spoiled by EO4's transition to 3D modeled enemies.

No, it really is super lazy.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

No, it really is super lazy.

The amount of laziness is what makes it awesome. When they get blown away by what looks like Rangda's Maragion or whatever it looks goofy as poo poo. The game is no longer about maximizing press turns against trash mobs but rather triggering the silliest sprite animations.

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Saigyouji posted:

I thought so, didn't sound like Meguro at all with just how oldschool it sounds. As much as I love his soundtracks, it's nice to see a change of pace from Meguro 24/7. It's pretty rocking and hopefully they don't cheap out on the audio CD this time. How hard is it to give us the whole OST?

Rascyc posted:

Yeah, the sprites look pretty weak, I was hoping for them to have gone full 3D like EO4 did. (or Nocturne for that matter) I don't mind it as long as the game itself is good, but that's going to hurt sales, especially with that price tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Well I expected it to look at least better than Unchained Blades. A game that was ported from the PSP and still uses sprites.

I do like being able to see the demon portraits for once in battle. I never get enough of them!