Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Vavrek posted:

There's a rule introduced in SR4A, which was posted in this thread some weeks or months ago. Emphasis mine:

It's probably a good idea to remember this rule.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Anniversary rules to see what changes this makes, but then again, the mages I've played alongside weren't insane combat monsters, so I'd never seen the problems in play. As an example: In base SR4, you can cast a Force 5 Stunbolt, get 5 net hits to increase damage, and do a solid 10S to the other guy while only dealing with 1S yourself. In SR4A, the same situation would have you dealing with 6S drain.

Oh snap I missed that! OK cool that seems to balance things out. I'll stick to that. Thanks for pointing it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Martello posted:

Also, what do you guys think about keeping availability at 10? This is supposed to be a street scum campaign so I think it fits, and there are still plenty of cool weapons and gear available at 10. No high-grade cutting-edge military stuff, no Initiative boosters above Rating 1, no EX-Explosive rounds, etc. Like I said before, Restricted Gear is fine but only if the piece of gear bought along with it makes sense. If you're making a razorboy, Restricted Gear would absolutely make sense for a Spur, for example. And in that case you might as well take the Razorboy quality from Way of the Samurai, because both Way books will be allowed.

Lay out the exact rules you want to run and we'll follow. We need to know the tone and setting of the campaign and caps or extensions you want to enforce.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Martello posted:

I was already leaning towards that based on our earlier discussions about melee combat.

But...the More Lethal DV increase affects melee weapons too, of course, so you can have that Strength 9 dude with +1 Blade DV from the Arnis de Mano martial art swinging a 12P Combat Axe. Is it really fair to let him swing that thing twice per IP? Maybe it is, given that his buddy with the Smartgun can fire two 3-round bursts of 7P bullets with either a the DV bonus of a narrow or the -Reaction bonus of the wide.

In my current SR4 PBP game, I just vomited out a 14P attack with a dice pool of 16, followed by a 10P attack with a dice pool of 20. As burst fire, not even long bursts. Granted I'm an adept which means I'm super specialized in automatics, so if I wasn't an adept, it would only be, let's see, 14 and 18 as my dice pools.

( Adepts aren't very good )

My vague point is that melee combat has literally not one single advantage over ranged. I mean yeah, a dude with strength 9 and martial arts quality can swing 12P. Also, a dude with no strength and no quality and fire a gun for 13P, more if you have the right ammo. And then he shoots again.

From a distance.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

ProfessorCirno posted:

In my current SR4 PBP game, I just vomited out a 14P attack with a dice pool of 16, followed by a 10P attack with a dice pool of 20. As burst fire, not even long bursts. Granted I'm an adept which means I'm super specialized in automatics, so if I wasn't an adept, it would only be, let's see, 14 and 18 as my dice pools.

My vague point is that melee combat has literally not one single advantage over ranged. I mean yeah, a dude with strength 9 and martial arts quality can swing 12P. Also, a dude with no strength and no quality and fire a gun for 13P, more if you have the right ammo. And then he shoots again.

From a distance.

I agree, melee needs to be 2 attacks per phase just like ranged. Think of all the tropes and fluff even from Shadowrun itself where an ELITE BLADE NINJA ADEPT slices and dices through a room of mooks, which is only vaguely possible in the actual rules. There are a billion optional rules that make melee really great, except for the fact that the guy with the gun will always get more actions.

What do you mean adepts suck? That is blasphemy.

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Re: melee: What exactly are the circumstances in which it is possible to do more than one melee attack in the same complex action/initiative pass?

I know there's the "multiple targets" rule on p. 158 of SR4A, which applies when multiple opponents are within a meter of each other and which splits one's dice pool between them. Does that only apply to combat with a melee weapon and not unarmed combat? How does dual weapon (or fist?) combat affect the rule?

This isn't a pressing issue because melee combat, especially melee situations that would invoke the above rule, wasn't really a huge thing in my campaign. I ask because one of my players had a question about rolling up a boxer character after which I realized that aside from knowing for certain that you cannot split dice to attack the same person multiple times in a pass, I know very little about how melee is supposed to work in reality. :psyduck:

the2ndgenesis fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 9, 2013

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Okay, melee = simple action is in. Cybercombat is out, magic is in.

I know where I'm going with this now, I'll post the recruitment thread soonish.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Would "No dodging bullets" rebalance the game away from Mages?
I got the impression that bullet doing was supposed to represent diving for cover, anyway.

More lethal combat would seem to make the element of surprise, and planning, overwhelmingly vital.

I'm cool with lowered availability.

My understanding about melee is that it's all about positioning, and, like everything else, surprise. There's a reason guns are popular these days, and it seems the melee weapon adept should be mostly about not getting shot.
I need to look up Gunslinger Girl, I vaguely recall Pinocchio was kinda the king of killing gunmen with knives. Not so much little cyborg assassin girls. Guess that means... Adepts suck, Street Samurai rule?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Melee dudes still need to close the distance.

Defending against a melee attack - the Reaction roll - is diving for cover. Dodging is something you can do when you see what's coming at you, like a hand, foot, forehead, sword, knife, missile, whatever the gently caress.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

the2ndgenesis posted:

Re: melee: What exactly are the circumstances in which it is possible to do more than one melee attack in the same complex action/initiative pass?

I know there's the "multiple targets" rule on p. 158 of SR4A, which applies when multiple opponents are within a meter of each other and which splits one's dice pool between them. Does that only apply to combat with a melee weapon and not unarmed combat? How does dual weapon (or fist?) combat affect the rule?

This isn't a pressing issue because melee combat, especially melee situations that would invoke the above rule, wasn't really a huge thing in my campaign. I ask because one of my players had a question about rolling up a boxer character after which I realized that aside from knowing for certain that you cannot split dice to attack the same person multiple times in a pass, I know very little about how melee is supposed to work in reality. :psyduck:

Other than splitting your dice pool, the only way to get multiple attacks in one IP is to get the Finishing Move Maneuver in Arsenal. Of course, doing that means you give up your next IP. You can split your dice pool with a single weapon or with unarmed combat.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I guess the IRC channel for this thread is dead? There's only like 4 or 5 people in there. :(

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Vavrek posted:

It's probably a good idea to remember this rule.

I haven't had a chance to play with the Anniversary rules to see what changes this makes, but then again, the mages I've played alongside weren't insane combat monsters, so I'd never seen the problems in play. As an example: In base SR4, you can cast a Force 5 Stunbolt, get 5 net hits to increase damage, and do a solid 10S to the other guy while only dealing with 1S yourself. In SR4A, the same situation would have you dealing with 6S drain.

:words: about lethal combat

Guns are already comically more effective at damage than spells are--they're simple actions to a spell's complex, for one. There's no need to nerf stunbolt and boost shotguns both.

Anyway, if you want to play a mage and tear poo poo up, it's honestly just like 3e D&D... damage is the sucker's option. Spellcasting 6 + manipulation focus + firebringer totem + Magic 5 + power focus 2 + spellcasting focus 2 = 20 dice to cast Control Mob. Complex action, Control Mob. Next turn, simple action everyone shoot yourselves.

Or hell, just summon force 10 spirits. As long as you don't try to bind them you'll be fine.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Adepts are great....at a wide variety of non-combat roles. Adepts can make amazing Faces and Deckers and Riggers and all sorts of things. About the only thing you can say about a melee focused Adept is he can...I don't know, make his fists elemental to help halve really powerful armor? Punch people in the back of their head from 30 feet away and then look shocked and shake his head when they turn around?

Rockopolis posted:

Would "No dodging bullets" rebalance the game away from Mages?

It's possible to balance away from Mages, but you can't ever really balance them. They can do things other people can't, or can't without a bunch of equipment. You have some sweet rear end enhancement that gives you 3 IP passes? A Mage can take one look at you and just remove it. He can make his entire team invisible, he can alter your memory, fix objects with a touch, fly around at will, and all sorts of other crazy poo poo without getting into the ability to summon spirits. And you have absolutely no way of knowing what he can do. With good enough Masking, you won't even know he's a Mage until the poo poo starts going down. A dude with a gun? He may in fact try to shoot you. Someone that's just there and now the entire room is on fire and spiders are crawling out of your penis and you think he just bounced a truck off the head of your troll?

There's a reason you kill that guy first. He's *unlikely* to be strong enough or have a varied enough power set to do all that stuff, but you have no way of knowing what he can do. And maybe he is, in fact, just that strong.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
So, is our problem that we are way too focused on combat?
It does seem that every Shadowrun discussion does end up as :black101: :words:

But yeah, even without combat they are very versatile.
Makes me wonder about an all (or at least mostly) Mage game, which would seem balance the characters against each other and... Well I guess they'll eventually be running against people with a strong defense against magic.

Minorities posted:

So I guess the IRC channel for this thread is dead? There's only like 4 or 5 people in there. :(
We have an IRC channel? I did not know that.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Rockopolis posted:

But yeah, even without combat they are very versatile.
Makes me wonder about an all (or at least mostly) Mage game, which would seem balance the characters against each other and... Well I guess they'll eventually be running against people with a strong defense against magic.

We have an IRC channel? I did not know that.

It's #shadowrun on SynIRC, but mostly nobody talks in there. We should fix that, so everybody join #shadowrun and chat!

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Rockopolis posted:

You can do a lot of different things in Shadowrun, but if you can't be competent in combat you won't last long.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Bigass Moth posted:

You can do a lot of different things in Shadowrun, but if you can't be competent in combat you won't last long.

Eh, depends on the game, I suppose. Someone always pops out of the woodwork when posts like this come up to say, "In my games, if combat occurs, you already screwed up and lost".

Me, I prefer not to make half the game and a lot of archetypes obsolete, so bullets fly all the drat time.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Boogaleeboo posted:

Adepts are great....at a wide variety of non-combat roles. Adepts can make amazing Faces and Deckers and Riggers and all sorts of things. About the only thing you can say about a melee focused Adept is he can...I don't know, make his fists elemental to help halve really powerful armor? Punch people in the back of their head from 30 feet away and then look shocked and shake his head when they turn around?

I don't see where you're coming from. From my recollection there is literally not one adept power that helps decking or rigging outside the generic "increased ability." I'll grant Faces, but with everything else, Adept...

Well, here's the thing.

The general rule in Shadowrun is that bonus skill points are typically hard and expensive. Adept powers, qualities, racial abilities, etc.

Unless you're using gear.

Gear - including 'ware - is ludicrously cheap in how it offers bonus skill points or outright replaces them like the lockpicker. A +10 quality could get you +2 to a skill. An adept power that costs half a drat point could give you +1 to a skill. Synthacardium gives you +1 to four point, and each rank costs you four karma in nuyen - that's insane. And it costs less essence then Great Leap costs adept points! Same with Tailored Pheromones - incredible, incredibly cheap for what it does. Muscle toner is put on just about every character that ever means to fire a gun because of how cheap it is to raise your most important skill. Neocortical Nanoware and PuSHeD covers your logic skills AND stacks with Cerebral Boosters which just flat out increases logic. This isn't even going into non-'ware gear like medkits that render First Aid skill pointless, or auto lockpicks which do the same for lockpicking.

Adept shines in the few small places where it's either more difficult to super specialize (an adept built JUST for combat can do stuff sammies can't, at the cost of only being good at combat, ever ) or where they're oh so rare few special powers work (Speaker adepts have a drat good number of useful powers that can't be easily replicated). Other then that, even in the realm of what Adepts are explicitly meant to do - jump around and break physics and be superhuman athletic - they fall to the curse of easy, cheap 'ware.

Personally speaking, I'd like adepts to have powers that make them work not "better" then augged up sammies, but different. Give combat adepts powers that remove penalties to attacking while running and moving - and, when that power is increased, it outright gives bonuses, so gunslinger adepts are mechanically encouraged to dive between pillars and leap down from overhangings with guns blazing as doves fly behind them. Melee adepts don't need bullets because they move like one - or they're ninja adepts and they may as well be a literal ghost. Basically the big thing with adepts used to be that they were leaping a million feet in the air and moving faster then sound; that should be mechanically encouraged! Right now, Speaker adepts are already there; they have unique powers that DO cover the whole "The Face, but different" aspect.

Bigass Moth posted:

I agree, melee needs to be 2 attacks per phase just like ranged. Think of all the tropes and fluff even from Shadowrun itself where an ELITE BLADE NINJA ADEPT slices and dices through a room of mooks, which is only vaguely possible in the actual rules. There are a billion optional rules that make melee really great, except for the fact that the guy with the gun will always get more actions.

It's downright bizarre how there's almost no ways to boost speed. You can have freaky satyr legs, freaky loopy legs, and either wear roller blades or replace your feet with hovercrafts. I'm not even sure it was intentional; it just feels like none of the developers ever even thought that people would want to increase speed. This is a game where you can increase your reactions to the point of carefully aiming and headshotting four people in like three seconds, but you can't run five feet faster.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
Recruitment thread is up.

NYC Metro area, focused on everything outside Manhattan for now. Low-level street scum. Drugs. Combat. Magic. Crime. Shadowrun.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Give combat adepts powers that remove penalties to attacking while running and moving

....adept centering is exactly that?

Quornes
Jun 23, 2011
For the Saints Run game thats going on, my unarmed troll adept took Celerity and Satyr Legs, so he can move 30/70, which is about 50 mph. Also his adept centering will be running, when he gets there.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Quornes posted:

For the Saints Run game thats going on, my unarmed troll adept took Celerity and Satyr Legs, so he can move 30/70, which is about 50 mph. Also his adept centering will be running, when he gets there.

Get some skimmer discs on that bitch and have a spirit use the Movemement power for him and he might blast right into orbit.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Boogaleeboo posted:

....adept centering is exactly that?

It covers the first part in that it can remove any penalty to Foightin' and Action stuff, but it doesn't really give you any reason to actually use it for that, especially when you're probably using it to cover recoil in the even where you don't use two Sakura light pistols. There's still no real reason not to just hide behind cover like everyone else, whereas I feel the fluff of adepts is one geared more for dramatically leaping in bullet time with guns blazing or dashing past the bullets and doing some kind of somersault leap to slice at them from behind.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Heightened Concentration as designed is kind of a piece of poo poo that doesn't explain itself well, but the intention was for it to basically be like that. You turn it on, pick a single negative modifier, and then can ignore up to Magic penalties it causes until the cows come home. It's function was pretty unclear by text, but they've said that's what they meant after the fact. It at least had the good sense to say it worked with adept centering. So the two of them basically wipe away an arbitrary number of penalties, especially as you get more studly.

Beyond that the simple fact is that Adepts got kind of screwed by the melee rules and not having a speed boost this time around, to the point where a Mage picking themselves up with Telekinesis can move faster. Hell, the Mage can probably move his entire team faster with a large enough dice pool.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Heightened Concentration as designed is kind of a piece of poo poo that doesn't explain itself well, but the intention was for it to basically be like that. You turn it on, pick a single negative modifier, and then can ignore up to Magic penalties it causes until the cows come home. It's function was pretty unclear by text, but they've said that's what they meant after the fact. It at least had the good sense to say it worked with adept centering. So the two of them basically wipe away an arbitrary number of penalties, especially as you get more studly.

Beyond that the simple fact is that Adepts got kind of screwed by the melee rules and not having a speed boost this time around, to the point where a Mage picking themselves up with Telekinesis can move faster. Hell, the Mage can probably move his entire team faster with a large enough dice pool.

Hey, you know what's a single negative modifier? Sustaining spells. Doesn't that make Mystic Adepts with 1 point in Adept for Heightened Concentration pretty terrifying? You could be doing the work of three sustaining foci of an arbitrary rating right out the gate. I guess the vagueness of the wording gives a GM some wiggle room to deal with it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Hey, you know what's a single negative modifier? Sustaining spells. Doesn't that make Mystic Adepts with 1 point in Adept for Heightened Concentration pretty terrifying? You could be doing the work of three sustaining foci of an arbitrary rating right out the gate. I guess the vagueness of the wording gives a GM some wiggle room to deal with it.

Each sustaining spell is it's own modifier. Which is actually the point of Heightened Concentration - it essentially gives you one free sustained spell, which makes sense since mystic adept works best as an adept who buffs himself.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Boogaleeboo posted:

About the only thing you can say about a melee focused Adept is he can...I don't know, make his fists elemental to help halve really powerful armor?

If you pick electricity as your elemental power (why would you pick anything else?) you'll have a pair of tazers built into your body. Of course just buying one at any store is superior in every way except that you need reload or recharge it. You could even build one into your body using cyberware too. Possibly there is even some weird bioware that grafts electric eel thingies to your skin.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Each sustaining spell is it's own modifier. Which is actually the point of Heightened Concentration - it essentially gives you one free sustained spell, which makes sense since mystic adept works best as an adept who buffs himself.
Does it have a force limit? Would a force 4 spell work, such as the one giving you +3 reaction and initiative phases?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!

Poil posted:

If you pick electricity as your elemental power (why would you pick anything else?) you'll have a pair of tazers built into your body. Of course just buying one at any store is superior in every way except that you need reload or recharge it. You could even build one into your body using cyberware too. Possibly there is even some weird bioware that grafts electric eel thingies to your skin.

Does it have a force limit? Would a force 4 spell work, such as the one giving you +3 reaction and initiative phases?

It doesn't! It simply ignores a single one negative ice pool modifier of a value up to their Magic attribute.

Keep in mind you still need to CAST that force 4 spell, which would mean splitting your Magic somewhat fiercely. Heightened Concentration is really one of the only things that makes mystic adept somewhat do-able because they're splitting themselves decidedly thin.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's downright bizarre how there's almost no ways to boost speed. You can have freaky satyr legs, freaky loopy legs, and either wear roller blades or replace your feet with hovercrafts. I'm not even sure it was intentional; it just feels like none of the developers ever even thought that people would want to increase speed. This is a game where you can increase your reactions to the point of carefully aiming and headshotting four people in like three seconds, but you can't run five feet faster.
Especially when melee people really need it in order to not get shot for five rounds while trying to get in range to punch people.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Some tidbits about SR5 mechanics from Dumpshock (a poster there got to playtest at PAX East):

quote:

Hi guys, I just got back from PAX East today. I unexpectedly got a chance to use a friend's extra ticket and went mainly to check out the Catalyst booth and get in on some sweet SR5 action! To a lesser extent I was also interested in Crossfire, however there was a bit of a line and I never actually got a chance to play it. I did see that it seemed to be popular and always had at least 5 people playing it- good sign.

Anyway I did get a chance to play some SR5, although it was only a half hour playtest and only really covered combat rules. We chose from archetypes which were copied straight from the SR4 rulebook with no changes (notably only combat characters and magic characters, with no matrix or riggers, so I'm assuming they aren't ready to show those systems off yet.)

Each character had "limits" handwritten on the character which I think were based on attributes somehow. There were Physical limits, Mental limits, and Social limits, and they each dictated the maximum number of successes that counted towards various tests. My Street Samurai's Physical limit was 10, Mental was 4, and Social was 3. Physical limit counted towards melee attacks and also was the max damage that could be taken before automatic knockdown. For some things, notably shooting, a "gear limit" is in place, the accuracy mechanic that has been mentioned before. The Catalyst rep said that "for the purposes of this playtest all firearm accuracy is 4", so I'm assuming that might not be set in stone. Edge can be spent to break limits so I did have one situation where I got 8 successes with my Ingram Smartgun and spent edge to use all of them.

Initiative has been completely redone - instead of initiative passes you get one dice for each level of initiative boost your character has (so mundane is 1 dice, wired 1 is 2 dice, wired 3 is 3 dice, etc.) then you add the sum of those dice to your reaction + intuition. After each character has gone you subtract 10 from the initiative score and if any character still has a positive initiative you go again. Wound modifiers now also immediately affect initiative score and if your initiative gets reduced to a negative number before your turn you can lose your action.

Reaction + Intuition is now a universal defense against all attacks, even ranged. A character can declare full defense at any time and subtracts 10 from their initiative when they do so, so it's possible to declare a full defense and still have actions left if your initiative score is high.

Recoil now carries over between passes and even combat rounds, "as long as you're holding down the trigger" the Catalyst rep explained, so you need to take a break from shooting to reset your recoil score.

Magical characters can now cast spells as simple actions with a mechanic called "reckless spellcasting", but add +3 to their drain when they do so.

Anyway, it was a very brief playtest but I liked new mechanics. I would have hoped to get more information about the Matrix side of things because that's what I'm most interested in seeing change, but it seems like they're not quite ready to make the reveal on that yet. I'm probably leaving stuff out so ask me anything, that might jog my memory.

Initiative is back to a SR3-like system, which is probably for the better.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Bigass Moth posted:

Initiative is back to a SR3-like system, which is probably for the better.
How does init boosting stuffs like wired 2 works in SR3? Just give like 5-10 initiative score?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Nyaa posted:

How does init boosting stuffs like wired 2 works in SR3? Just give like 5-10 initiative score?

The old initiative system worked like this:

You got an initiative of Reaction + initiative dice.
Base reaction was (Quickness + Intelligence)/2, and base initiative die was 1D6.

Init boosting worked by either increasing reaction and/or by givng more dice — the better stuff did both — or, more passively, by boosting int and quick. Wired reflexes, for instance, gave +2 Rea +1D6 per level (so +6 Rea +3D6 at Wired III). Boosted reflexes only gave reaction for the first level, and at III, it gave something like +3 Rea +2D6.

Initiative was calculated by rolling your final tally of dice and adding your reaction, and then, each 10th gave you one complex action. Whomever had the most went first, did their turn, then subtracted 10 from their initiative — repeat until everyone has done everything and no longer sits on positive reaction.

Eg. 4/4 Int/Quick and Wired II gave you 4+4 reaction, 3D6 dice, and you'd habitually score somewhere in the upper teens, giving you two or occasionally three actions: eg. one on initiative 19, one on initiatve 9. A slightly luckier roll of 21 would give you three actions: on 21, 11, and 1.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Thanks. Hurt my head to absorb that, but quiet enlightening. :tipshat:

I wonder if it would be more interesting if types of action cost initiative score instead. Like how AP works in Shadowrun Return game.

With 10 score as one IP, and math it using the following rule.

quote:

1 free + 2 simple
2 free + 1 simple
3 free
1 free + 1 complex
Complex would be 6-7 score with one usage limit, simple would be 3 score with two usage limit, and free would be 3 score with three usage limit. All limited at total of 10 score per IP.

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 13, 2013

Network42
Oct 23, 2002

Poil posted:

If you pick electricity as your elemental power (why would you pick anything else?)

Did they fix it so that sonic doesn't ignore all armor anymore?

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

If in 5e iniative boosters only add dice and not a base number, doesn't that mean you'd need wired 3 to get another pass, on average? Okay, reading it again you get one die to roll to start with, so wired 2 gives you the 10 average you'd need, and the extra die from wired 3 either helps you get your second action if you roll poorly or gives you a third if you roll well... That's a pretty clever way of setting it up, then. It also seems to remove the ability to get four initiative passes, which always seemed really unnecessary in the first place.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The rightest!
Most of that doesn't really sound bad, so color me as a bit more optimistic.

Edit: It DOES make Reaction and Intuition sorta "god stats" mind you.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
We don't know what the other stats will really influence at this point, so it's hard to say what the dump stats will be. Initiative has always been king, so this doesn't really change that.

http://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/3153
http://www.feartheboot.com/ftb/index.php/archives/3164

Some of the comments make it sounds like they are going to buff cyber and/or gimp bioware since we've gone so far away from the cyberpunk ideals.

Someone on dumpshock took the time to listen and give highlights:

quote:

Part 1 (Ignoring the stuff about how Mark started his job at Catalyst etc.)
- Release date won't be disclosed
- Development cycle is nearing its end
- One guideline for designing 5E was "Evolution not Revolution"
- The design team was intentionally staffed by people with different point of views of Shadowrun
- They redid the character creation because of trolls being hard to balance (high physical, low mental stats)
- "Catch phrase" for this edition: Everything has a price (See Cyberware in general or 2E Move by Wire)
- A lot of 3E elements come back (when it didn't work in 4E)
- No "severe" retcons
- More focus on players skills than on gear (no more/harder compensating for lacking skills with gear)

Part 2:
- Death of the middle class major point in the setting
- They do not try to make the matrix completely logical, it simply is something different than normal computers we know
- The Matrix is becoming much more dangerous. You should get in, do you stuff, and get out as fast as you can as the corps will get you when you stay too long
- Decking will be a "race against the clock" and nothing you do will be permanent as GOD will find out what you did eventually.
- The teams of SR5, SR Online and SR returns are in contact with each other so that everything stays canon and connected.
- "Bug spirits have gone a way and are out there"

Bigass Moth fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 13, 2013

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Get rid of everything related to the Horrors as well and things will be gravy for me.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

PunkBoy posted:

Get rid of everything related to the Horrors as well and things will be gravy for me.

Horrors?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Bigass Moth posted:

Some of the comments make it sounds like they are going to buff cyber and/or gimp bioware since we've gone so far away from the cyberpunk ideals.

You know what I was just thinking...where is the heavy cyberware in the "cyberpunk ideal?" Is that ideal from Shadowrun 1E or is it from Neuromancer or what? Because if you go back to Gibson's seminal work, there really isn't much in the way of significant cyberware. You have datajacks, eye implants, the monowire thumb from Johnny Mnemonic, and maybe a few arm prosthetics here and there. But for the most part everything else is bioware. That ninja with the monowire thumb was "vat-grown in Chiba" just like the Tessier-Ashpool family ninja in Neuromancer. Molly has the blades (razorgirl/gillette) and the eyes but I seem to remember the rest of her enhancements being bio-stuff. The muscleboys from Johnny Mnemonic all have vat-grown muscles - Muscle Augmentation, not Muscle Replacement.

Hardwired has more cyber stuff, but there's also plenty of organic enhancements and performance enhancing drugs.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that for cyberpunk, I think the cyberware and bioware has always gone hand-in-hand, neither being "more cyberpunk" than the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Was Peter Riviera's hologram stuff cyber? I can't imagine how it could possibly be bioware.

EDIT: Also, the Dixie Flatline is basically a cyber-person.

• Locked thread