Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Romney couldn't drink coffee, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ufarn posted:

Romney couldn't drink coffee, though.

He was allowed to have coffee ice cream though. We found that out!

Here's a Quinnipiac poll from yesterday on the Republican primary.

1. Marco Rubio 19%
2. Paul Ryan 17%
3. Rand Paul 15%
4. Chris Christie 14%
5. Jeb Bush 10%
6. Bobby Jindal 3%
7. Scott Walker 2%
8. Bob McDonnell 1%

Rand Paul is moving up in the world! But if you check the gender splits, you'll see that Rubio has 19% among both men and women, but Rand has 18% of men and 11% of women. Libertarianism still isn't popular with the ladies for some strange reason.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I hope Rubio gets the nomination, it would make easy funding for his race due using obvious product placement in every speech.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
How long until they trot out the decomposed remains of Ayn Rand as their token woman?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
They really don't mention her much because of her hatred of religion.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

baw posted:

She also had a intense hatred for their god Ronald Reagan.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

How long until they trot out the decomposed remains of Ayn Rand as their token woman?

Rand/Paul 2016?

:downsrim:

ufarn
May 30, 2009

baw posted:

You make it sound like cognitive dissonance isn't inherent to their political idolatry and messaging.

Reagan did plenty of things that would make their skin crawl today.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Newt is not ruling out another run in 2016. We'll have to see whether his ghost writer can have a book ready to sell on the campaign trail in time. Even less surprising is Newt's favorite TV show and his favorite character in that show.

Now, if he had only mentioned that his plan to have child janitors would include dressing them in livery, it might not have been so unpopular.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Joementum posted:

Newt is not ruling out another run in 2016. We'll have to see whether his ghost writer can have a book ready to sell on the campaign trail in time. Even less surprising is Newt's favorite TV show and his favorite character in that show.

Now, if he had only mentioned that his plan to have child janitors would include dressing them in livery, it might not have been so unpopular.

Goes in line with the Fox News spin about Downtown Abby being about the heroic nature of landed money and job creators when it has a different message.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Did you read his #ifihadglass tweet? Never change, Newt.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Brigadier Sockface posted:

Its interesting how Hillary's age is this giant drawback when noone ever once brought up Newt's or Herman Cain's ages last year. Is it because she's a woman?

People said it all the time about Newt and Ron Paul. They probably didn't bring it up about Cain or Romney because they don't look their age so no one really realized how old they were, both look a good deal younger than mid-60s.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
GOP Reportedly Assessing “One-Eyed Willy” Presidential Ticket

quote:

“We cannot allow a small group of Republicans to hold the entire party hostage in this fashion,” warned House Speaker John Boehner in a prepared statement Sunday. “For the GOP to permit a hijacking of the conservative agenda Americans need and deserve would be no different from the way Brand foolishly allowed his arm to be clamped to the side of Troy’s convertible, culminating in a dangerous and unnecessary tumble into the Oregon woods.”

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I don't watch it at all and am barely even aware of its existence, but it's Downton Abbey, not Downtown Abbey. The Abbey is in the countryside, not in downtown anything - I don't even think downtown existed yet as a concept back then. This was the newly introduced "should of" or "for all intensive purposes" or "tow the line" of 2012, so let's not drag it into 2013. Downtown Abby sounds like a Fox drama targeted at single women in their 30s.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Tell Robert Costa that, he's the buttlord loving it up.

e: I see a poster here made the mistake. Still Costa's a buttlord. That much is known.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Boehner posted:

the conservative agenda Americans need and deserve

Man we must be real assholes to deserve that.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Shhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttt.

quote:

Although [David] Simon says that Carcetti was based on several politicians, he sees O’Malley and Carcetti as characterologically linked. “The writing was not unsympathetic to a man who comes in with the idea of changing things and emerges a completely different creature,” Simon told me. “That was the story [of Tommy Carcetti] and that is the story of Marty O’Malley.”

Simon views O’Malley as a politician more interested in promoting himself than engaging in the hard work of governance.

His great beef with O’Malley is that, in his view, he also juked the stats on crime—an allegation that O’Malley’s political opponents have also made.

The result, in the eyes of The Wire’s creator, “is that O’Malley’s tenure was as destructive a mayoralty to causes of crime and punishment as Baltimore has ever seen and, by that standard, Tommy Carcetti makes him look good.” (Needless to say, all of this is disputed by O’Malley insiders, who brag that, during his tenure, violent crime in Baltimore was cut by nearly 40 percent, down to its lowest levels in decades.)

I've never really been sure what's going on with O'Malley's flirtations with a run. His recent moves on the death penalty and medical marijuana aren't what you'd expect from someone planning a campaign, but now he's going around calling himself a "performance-driven progressive" which is exactly what you'd expect from someone positioning himself for a run. Whatever he does, we can only be sure there'll be more opportunities to reference The Wire, which is not a bad thing.

Oh and he's 30 for 30 on passing his agenda.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think I've mentioned several times that Christian Heinze's blog is the only one you need to follow for 2016 primary news. Not only does he do daily news round ups tracking the potential candidates, but there's also stuff you can't get anywhere else like 4600 word articles titles The GOP Empathy Power Rankings.

And there's also this:

-----------

2016: A Poem

Hillary brings the artillery
Experience, gender, the economy
But questions will always persist
about her guy's views on monogamy.

Biden's a train wreck that smiles
A ship that just sunk on dry land
An alarm you forgot to turn off
Spam when you just wanted ham.

O'Malley is lefter than Che
Or, Right, if that wins him Ohio
Political Vogue, political Elle,
Whatever will keep him in style.

Cuomo's an ESTJ
A lion on Mars and an alpha
A beast and a bull in the ring
Who feeds on Italian alfalfa.

Warren dips into frenzies
Whenever she talks about banks
You wonder, muse, hypothesize
"Her teller once forgot to say 'thanks'?"

Patrick's a poor-man's Obama
A really poor-man's Obama
A super-duper poor man's Obama
Ke$ha compared to Madonna

Booker's precocious and gifted
Adroit, savvy, commercial
He'll run -- you can bank it and book it
The last thing he is is inertial.

Kirsten's a genuine darkhorse
Who knows how to sway with the wind
Gays, farmers, fat cats, non-profits
She'll always be your best friend

Warner, wait, who is Mark Warner?
Carolina, New York? No, Virginia!
Stick to the Senate, Mark Warner
Virginia will give you life tenure.

Schweitzer is larger-than-life
But his state only has, like, two people
He also is wed to The Bolo
Something bordering on evil.

II

Marco's the GOP's Moses
To lead them out from their panic
The cherry on top, the piece de resistance
Who just happens to be Hispanic.

Christie is brash and abrasive
Brusque -- all those Jersey essentials
But sinking his boat and bridging his moat
Is his lack of conservative credentials.

Rand's got the curls of Seth Rogen
Like his dad, but he's more optimistic
But within that veneer of a more respectable career
Is a guy who's just more opportunistic.

Jeb is a Bush so he's set
with the blessings that Bushes will get
The Beltway adores him, but then will destroy him
As Clinton beats him to death.

Jindal is struggling for traction
Windows 8 > his second term
He's smart and creative, but still bifurcated
Between pragmatic and firm.

Martinez is tough and decisive
Female, Hispanic, The Grail
Gender gap sliced, ethnic war iced
But let's face it, New Mexico's hell.

McDonnell is smooth as a crooner
Pirouetting, he almost seems magical
But Sinatra he's not, he's Robertson taught
And there was that thing that was "transvaginal."

Ryan's a chef of numerics
He sautes and presents them with garnish
But voters want heart (and more from Head Start)
And he ended his '12 somewhat tarnished.

Walker's got balls made of wurtzite
He took on the unions and won
But he's not photogenic, he's kind of dependent
On dividing father from son.

Nikki is ambitious as Rome
Her story and potential are gold
But she's impolitic, it's that same fighter shtick
That gets tiring and dreary and old.

Santorum pees passion and vision
In Iowa, yes, he was nifty
But America's changed, this home on the range
Ain't goin' back to the fifties.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Well I'm glad someone's taking up the mantle Calvin Trillin left from 2012.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

now he's going around calling himself a "performance-driven progressive" which is exactly what you'd expect from someone positioning himself for a run.
Sounds like a horrible neo-liberal shibboleth.

There is no way your education and justice system isn't totally hosed.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Radish posted:

Man we must be real assholes to deserve that.

Do you know nothing about our foreign policy for like the last 60 years? We're like king assholes of gently caress mountain.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A Winner is Jew posted:

Do you know nothing about our foreign policy for like the last 60 years? We're like king assholes of gently caress mountain.

The USA as a whole has sure but I can't really fault people who's influence is minor and opinions misled by large orchestrated efforts against their best interests or actively opposes that kind of thing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Joementum posted:

but now he's going around calling himself a "performance-driven progressive" which is exactly what you'd expect from someone positioning himself for a run. Whatever he does, we can only be sure there'll be more opportunities to reference The Wire, which is not a bad thing.

Well he is either a candidate or a luxury car with a nice engine.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Well he is either a candidate or a luxury car with a nice engine.

My god. The Boehner mystery is solved. He's got skin of rrrrrrich corrrinthian leather.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
PPP shows Rand Paul leading in New Hampshire. Is granite the new gold?

Rand Paul: 28%
Marco Rubio: 25%
Chris Christie: 14%
Someone else/Not sure: 11%
Jeb Bush: 7%
Paul Ryan: 7%
Rick Santorum: 4%
Susana Martinez: 3%
Rick Perry: 1%
Bobby Jindal: 1%

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Robert Costa, who Republicans talk to because he's at NRO, has a story on how Ted Cruz is gearing up for 2016.

quote:

Enter Cruz. His supporters argue that he’d be a Barry Goldwater type — a nominee who would rattle the Republican establishment and reconnect the party with its base – but with better electoral results.

Republican power brokers from the early-primary states have noticed. They tell me that the Cruz factor is a frequent topic of discussion among state-based strategists.

“You bet, he’s on my radar,” says Chad Connelly, the chairman of the South Carolina Republican Party. “Conservatives think he’s a rock star. I hear about him from everybody.”

He's not worried about the birth certificate thing either and considers himself a natural-born citizen. My favorite line from the article is, of course, that bit about being Barry Goldwater except this time it'll work!

Joementum fucked around with this message at 12:57 on May 1, 2013

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Marco Rubio is now threatening to withdraw his support from the immigration bill if protection for same-sex couples is inserted. Torpedoing your nascent signature achievement, and thereby pissing off those who support immigration reform, because you want gay families destroyed does not seem like a winning 2016 strategy.

Also, I just can't see Cruz getting far. He's not just really conservative, he's also stupid and an rear end in a top hat. He's like George W. Bush with no charm. His own caucus hates him, and his record consists entirely of being an obstructionist prick and making smug faces about it. That plays well when it comes to statewide Texas politics, but it's not a great record to run on.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Better than Goldwater is setting the bar a little low.

Then again theres also Mondale. (Minnesota best state)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Personally I want Cruz to run, just so people nationally can see how much of a nut he is.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

SombreroAgnew posted:

Also, I just can't see Cruz getting far. He's not just really conservative, he's also stupid and an rear end in a top hat. He's like George W. Bush with no charm. His own caucus hates him, and his record consists entirely of being an obstructionist prick and making smug faces about it. That plays well when it comes to statewide Texas politics, but it's not a great record to run on.

You realize you just described Newt Gingrich but without the adorable obsession with the moon and zoos, right? Newt was pretty darn successful in spite of all that.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Tempest_56 posted:

You realize you just described Newt Gingrich but without the adorable obsession with the moon and zoos, right? Newt was pretty darn successful in spite of all that.
Newt has the whole fake-smartest-guy-in-the-room shtick, and even so his success at the presidential election level was pretty limited.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

SombreroAgnew posted:

I wouldn't say Cruz is stupid at all. Sarah Palin is stupid. Louie Gohmert, oh yeah, stupid as gently caress. But Cruz, he knows exactly what he's doing and who he works for and is every bit as transparently vile as that requires. That's why he's worse. And yeah, he is deinfitely an rear end in a top hat.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Joementum posted:

Robert Costa, who Republicans talk to because he's at NRO, has a story on how Ted Cruz is gearing up for 2016.

He's not worried about the birth certificate thing either and considers himself a natural-born citizen. My favorite line from the article is, of course, that bit about being Barry Goldwater except this time it'll work!

If Ted Cruz can run, then what about Granholm or for that matter Schwarzenegger? Last I checked Calgary still isn't part of the United States. His mother's from Delaware, so is that his tenuous claim to being an American? He is no Barry Goldwater either.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Cruz only got 35% of the Latino vote in a year when Romney got 27%. I'm not sure this spread alone justifies the GOP trotting out the same BS platform did, only nuttier. I"m sure he'd do well in a primary as the disaffected lurch from nutjob to nutjob, but surely they have to realize a Spanish surname alone won't cut it.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
I can see the base's logic behind their enthusiasm for Cruz. Republicans lose Presidential elections because they nominate mealy-mouthed squishes like McCain-Romney-Bush-Dole-Bush (which demotivates the vast silent conservative majority that would turn out to vote for Reagan and Nixon) and because the Democrats get huge shares of minority votes because of tribal loyalty (see how Obama got 96% of the African-American vote). Cruz solves both problems - he's a rock-ribbed bright red conservative AND he'll automatically score a huge pile of usually-Democratic Latino votes (because that's how Those People think and vote). It's a win-win!

If I was desperate to start winning national elections without having to make any policy or coalition changes, I'd probably talk myself into believing something like this, too.

Cruz's resume is also pretty thin - 4+ years as Solicitor General in Texas, been in the Senate for 15 minutes. Senators have a hard time being elected President.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
Cruz went graduated from two Ivys and has argued cases before the Supreme Court. He's not stupid.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

jackofarcades posted:

Cruz went graduated from two Ivys and has argued cases before the Supreme Court. He's not stupid.

There are plenty of people who've done both and are stupid as gently caress. Doing either just takes money.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

SombreroAgnew posted:

Marco Rubio is now threatening to withdraw his support from the immigration bill if protection for same-sex couples is inserted. Torpedoing your nascent signature achievement, and thereby pissing off those who support immigration reform, because you want gay families destroyed does not seem like a winning 2016 strategy.
Republicans did the same with VAWA - not to mention the whole Blunt/Rubio amendment.

Immigrants, women. Throw them all on the altar.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

FMguru posted:

Cruz's resume is also pretty thin - 4+ years as Solicitor General in Texas, been in the Senate for 15 minutes. Senators have a hard time being elected President.

Then again Obama. Not that Cruz has anywhere near his appeal or institutional backing at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

Kaal posted:

There are plenty of people who've done both and are stupid as gently caress. Doing either just takes money.

Cruz is a Hispanic graduate of Harvard and Harvard Law, where he helped found the Harvard Latino Law Review and was an editor of the Harvard Law Review, and clerked for Chief Justice Rehnquist. He was the first Hispanic to clerk for a Chief Justice. Dershowitz has personally commented on the guy's intelligence. He's not stupid, he's just wrong.

When people say "it just takes money," it really contorts the very valid points about access to prestige markers in America. While it's certainly not a merits game through and through, if you think the same social opportunities to "buy in" exist for non-white people, you haven't been paying attention.

• Locked thread