Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Cool it a minute, babe, let me finish playing with my fake gun.

enri posted:

Pretty sure this is how Games Workshop handled the ships in BFG, to say that the ships aren't at any particular scale and the model represents a ship the size of a pin head on your table top. It's an abstraction but a happy abstraction :)

This, exactly. We already have a certain level of abstraction in the fighter-level game: we know X-Wings aren't exactly the size of the plastic squares, ships "bumping" each other, etc - why not fudge the scale a little on the capital ship side?

I want to send my TIE bombers after their medical frigates, dammit. :colbert:

I imagine the fighter integration working something like this - capital ship lasers can attack at range 4, torpedos/missiles can be launched at range 3. So you send in your Y-Wings in a run against their star destroyers, hoping to survive the initial barrage of point defense lasers and get close enough next turn to launch, all the while praying you get lucky with your evasion dice against the TIE/LN CAP on your tail. Meanwhile, that other Star Destroyer has gone to flank speed, trying to force your Mon Cal carrier into turbolaser range ... :fap:

Let a nerd dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wolfen
Apr 12, 2007
Wanted Ghost Coon. Cannot be treed or trapped. Reward Ghost Coon Skin Cap!
Fun Shoe
After following this thread for a bit I went ahead and picked up the core set myself. I think I made it one session before grabbing a couple of expansions (Tie Advanced and Y-Wing since that's all my brick and mortar had), then maybe one more session before I went online and picked up one of every other plus an extra core. The only bad thing now is I'm trying to figure out how I can form a list where I get to play as all my new ships against my friend this weekend. I'd need like 500 points and the world's most powerful Jedi to Force Persuade my Imps and Rebels to work with each other. I guess I'll just have to make due with multiple games, and suffer the indignity of letting my Slave 1 blast away at my Falcon before I've even managed to fire up her up myself. What a great game though.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Myoclonic Jerk posted:

This, exactly. We already have a certain level of abstraction in the fighter-level game: we know X-Wings aren't exactly the size of the plastic squares, ships "bumping" each other, etc - why not fudge the scale a little on the capital ship side?

I want to send my TIE bombers after their medical frigates, dammit. :colbert:

I imagine the fighter integration working something like this - capital ship lasers can attack at range 4, torpedos/missiles can be launched at range 3. So you send in your Y-Wings in a run against their star destroyers, hoping to survive the initial barrage of point defense lasers and get close enough next turn to launch, all the while praying you get lucky with your evasion dice against the TIE/LN CAP on your tail. Meanwhile, that other Star Destroyer has gone to flank speed, trying to force your Mon Cal carrier into turbolaser range ... :fap:

Let a nerd dream.

It's all I really ever wanted from a SW computer game: Bridge Commander, but hosed down with Star Wars juice.

There are a bunch of tabletop games that already take on this scale of 1930s-inspired space combat, so it's not like there's no market for it.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
I just want a Nebulon-B frigate. And a Corellian Corvette. A Corellian gunship would be even cooler but I'll stick with the basics. Basically I want to play a mix of Fleet Commander, Harpoon, Homeworld, and Tie Fighter, except with little plastic mans ships. Is that so much to ask? I mean, fighters are cool and all and I really dig this game but capital ships own and give you so much potential for crew cards, modified configurations, etc.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
Screw scale, cap ships are two of the medium ships end to end, take two pilot inserts with stats for the fore and aft sections, and together make complete firing arcs. Done.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Red Hood posted:

My buddies and I are starting to get really competitive when it comes to this game, so we're starting to try and find the most competitive squadron builds.

A couple guys at the store I play at run the Wedge+Biggs 4x4, and I hope this can keep up.

Have you guys found the Wedge/Biggs setup to still be the best one? Even if a Falcon's not included, as I knew that would be more of a gimmick choice, are the A-wings not earning their share?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

My gimmick squad is

Garven Dreis + R2D2 + shield upgrade
Dutch Vander + R5D8 + shield upgrade + ion cannon
Tycho + elusiveness + stealth

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

Fox of Stone posted:

Have you guys found the Wedge/Biggs setup to still be the best one? Even if a Falcon's not included, as I knew that would be more of a gimmick choice, are the A-wings not earning their share?

My first tournament I ran Horton with Biggs +R2D2 soaking up damage. Opponents wanted desperately to kill Horton, but Biggs ate all their shots and kept regenerating shields. My first match and I stumbled upon a trolling lineup.

Myoclonic Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Mar 27, 2013

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Has anyone had any luck with a list that includes:

Han Solo w/
-Millineum Falcon
-Luke Skywalker
-Chewbacca
-Assault Missiles

This ends up being something like 60 points. I've tried running a single X-wing with Wedge or Luke without any luck. I have a feeling that at 100 points, having a fully-armed Falcon may be impractical.

I'm going to try again tonight with a Y-wing or an A-wing, so we'll see.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

Got my first games with the Wave 2 big ships. I love the Firespray, but the Falcon is just a big tank. I can't seem to do anything significant with it besides soak damage.

I also decided that I wanted to touch-up my ships. I washed my X-Wings with GW Nuln Oil.

Painted engines on the ships, too.

Redid the red on the Firespray, then sponged on Vallejo Grey Black. I then hit the black spots with GW Silver.

Painted the TIEs blue with GW blue wash. This didn't come out as nice as hoped, but at least, mine will be unique.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Your retouches look really really good. Which wash did you use on that last TIE? I used Drakenhof Nightshade on one of my TIE Advanced and it came out a little bit lighter than yours. Your Firespray looks absolutely amazing with the paint damage and engines glowing. I'm going to try to replicate that right now. Pics soon.

Sneaky Homunculus
May 19, 2008

SERPUS posted:

Your retouches look really really good. Which wash did you use on that last TIE? I used Drakenhof Nightshade on one of my TIE Advanced and it came out a little bit lighter than yours. Your Firespray looks absolutely amazing with the paint damage and engines glowing. I'm going to try to replicate that right now. Pics soon.

I had a bottle of the old GW blue wash. I used it all, and I am going to try Secret Weapon's blue wash since I heard it is similar to the old GW washes. Plus, "Baby Poop" brown is a catchy name.

For battle damage, use one of the black sponges that you get from a blister pack, and tear it up. Also, do not add water to the paint or use a pure black. You don't want a lot of paint sticking to the sponge. It's fun to just smash the sponge randomly across the ship's hull.

For the engines when painting the lips, apply the brush perpendicularly, instead of trying to carefully follow it. It is much easier to do this way. This is a simple tip that I learned from the Painting thread.

Val Helmethead
Apr 24, 2009

Pittsburgh is stored in the balls.

So I decided to try out a gimmick 3 ship build for the Rebels, and so far I'm loving it.

Wedge Antilles
- Elusiveness
- R5-D8

Luke Skywalker
- Elusiveness
- R2-F2

Tycho Celchu
- Push the Limit
- Concussion Missiles

I got a couple of lucky rolls, but I ended the game with a shieldless Luke and a damaged Tycho flying against three heavily damaged generic Tie-Fighter for mop-up duty. Luke did the most overall damage, as Wedge became a giant target for the Imperials from the start, and was the first overall casualty. Tycho managed to almost blow up an Interceptor right off the first pass, and Luke one-shot Fel in the middle of the furball to give me the advantage from there on out.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
This is probably old news for this thread but I got to play this for the first time today and absolutely freaking loved it. Simple to grasp but a LOT of tactical depth - exactly as I like it. I was correcting my opponent by turn 3 and managed 2 wins and 1 defeat.

I've got the starter set plus the A-Wing expansion (since I always, always played the A-Wing in X-Wing Alliance). I'm going to pick up another starter set and some TIE Interceptors as soon as possible. Unfortunately we discovered what happens when you mix-and-match two starter sets to do a 50 point battle - I walked away with an extra X-Wing dial and he walked away with one of my TIE-fighter dials. Unfortunately we're not going to see each other until next weekend at the earliest.

Is there an easy way, asides from pen and paper, of simulating the dial if you're missing one?

Here's a blurry snap of our game:

I found a Star Trek K7 station model (from the TOS and DS9 Tribbles episodes) and made some asteroids before I headed out to the games club. The stations' scale is a bit off, but would work fine as a skeleton crewed comms station or something and the asteroids worked brilliantly.

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 31, 2013

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Daedleh posted:

Is there an easy way, asides from pen and paper, of simulating the dial if you're missing one?

You could print one of these cards for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82718/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-1
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85379/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-2
tuck them into card sleeves, and mark your move with a dry erase marker

Or print out a deck of these for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85337/movement-cards
and select one maneuver card and one speed card for your ship.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Poopy Palpy posted:

You could print one of these cards for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/82718/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-1
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85379/maneuver-cards-pdf-wave-2
tuck them into card sleeves, and mark your move with a dry erase marker

Or print out a deck of these for each ship:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/85337/movement-cards
and select one maneuver card and one speed card for your ship.

Perfect! Thank you!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Daedleh posted:

I found a Star Trek K7 station model (from the TOS and DS9 Tribbles episodes) and made some asteroids before I headed out to the games club.

Where'd you get it from? I could do with one of those for ACTA games.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

Where'd you get it from? I could do with one of those for ACTA games.

I found it in a model shop. It's this one.

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.

Sneaky Homunculus posted:

Got my first games with the Wave 2 big ships. I love the Firespray, but the Falcon is just a big tank. I can't seem to do anything significant with it besides soak damage.

I also decided that I wanted to touch-up my ships. I washed my X-Wings with GW Nuln Oil.

Painted engines on the ships, too.

Redid the red on the Firespray, then sponged on Vallejo Grey Black. I then hit the black spots with GW Silver.

Painted the TIEs blue with GW blue wash. This didn't come out as nice as hoped, but at least, mine will be unique.

Such a great idea! I stole your idea and scuffed up one of my YT-1300s, painted 3 of my 6 Xwings with Blue markings, and gave them all some glowy engines.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
How did you do your pinstriping on the Xwings? I've tried on a few of mine, but it always ends up bad because I can't paint straight lines and sharp corners.

Thriftwood
Dec 13, 2005
You might be able to do it with masking tape.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

So.. having gotten into this game quite late.. I have to ask, is demand so high that FFG really can't keep up with demand? It's only been a matter of weeks since the 2nd wave hit right? All my LGS has in stock is 2 millennium falcons and 1 slave-1, everything else flew off the shelves apparently. The store owner reckoned June was when re-stocks would occur.

Has anyone seen any official word on why this is at all?

Going to be stuck playing the core set for a while if there's no re-stocks for a while (LGS owner said a pretty effective list was 2 millennium falcons, 1 x-wing but that just doesn't tickle me in the same way multiple a-wings and x-wings does)

The lack of availability of expansion packs just makes me not want to play the drat thing :(

enri fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 1, 2013

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Unless you're incredibly die hard about your FLGS getting your money, you could try Barnes and Noble for Wave 1 stuff.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
My FLGS told me "june" as well.
Which sucks because I really wanted a tie interceptor and an A-wing.

Iron_Chef
Sep 19, 2003
Chef of Iron
Yeah I managed to grab Wave 1 earlier this year from an Aussie web site, but can't find anyone to sell me A-Wings or TIE Interceptors to go with my Firespray and YT-1300.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Bosushi! posted:

Unless you're incredibly die hard about your FLGS getting your money, you could try Barnes and Noble for Wave 1 stuff.

Not so much my LGS, but I'd rather give me cash to a games store than a book store.. it was more that I was just chewing the fat with the store owner whilst I was there last night. Plus I'm in the UK, don't think we even have Barnes & Noble here. At best some people said Waterstones (one of our popular high street book stores) has the core set in stock but finding out whether they have more than that or not involves trecking up to the shops at the weekend which my hectic weekends don't usually allow for, which kinda sucks :(

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

enri posted:

Not so much my LGS, but I'd rather give me cash to a games store than a book store.. it was more that I was just chewing the fat with the store owner whilst I was there last night. Plus I'm in the UK, don't think we even have Barnes & Noble here. At best some people said Waterstones (one of our popular high street book stores) has the core set in stock but finding out whether they have more than that or not involves trecking up to the shops at the weekend which my hectic weekends don't usually allow for, which kinda sucks :(
If you are in the UK:

A-Wing
TIE Interceptor

Also if you search for Star Wars, most of the stuff seems to be in stock. I get most of my games from this website and it's pretty fast and reliable for shipping.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
Mildly off-topic but I felt the need to share:

My friend recently purchased this organizer to hold all his models. I was a bit skeptical because he was raving about how it might as well have been made for the game, but I saw it in action tonight and it's ridiculously efficient. The top and bottom have removable organizer sections (like cups really), and it comfortably seated every model attached to bases (except Y-Wings, Slave 1, and Millenium Falcon).

Just passing this along in case anyone had a relatively large collection and was looking for storage options.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
If you are in Austin, TX, come play at Dragon's Lair (we just moved locations) on Saturday from 6 to close. Casual play and i'll run demo games if you're interested but haven't yet tried it out.

If we can get enough players in, I can schedule a tournament for some other time if folks want. I've got some of the door prizes sitting around: oversized cards, plastic target lock tokens.

Lunatic Pathos fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Apr 3, 2013

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

I finally got around to setting up my Plano organizer and I'm pleased with the results. No more fumbling around with an overstuffed box for me.

Not everything fit perfectly (the manuals are too big and the damage/astromech cards are just a little too wide), but I'm pretty happy with it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
My Plano has hit capacity, sadly. I've had to double-up on a couple of the sturdier ships (A-wings and Y-Wings) to fit everything in there in a logical manner. I think my next step will have to be a tool box or fishing gear box.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Go big.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001HJTK5Y/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

I have a ton of wave 1 and 2 stuff that fits in with room to spare.

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...
I just keep all the tokens, cards, and dice in the original game box, the falcon, ship base cards, and dials in the falcons box, and all the smaller ships (minus starter ones) in 660 count card boxes in the inner blister packaging they come in (just the part that holds the ship and base). The blisters stack nicely in these boxes, at about 6 ships per 1$ box, and the blisters should keep them safe from basic jostling, though not anything that would crush the cardboard box. Maybe not the absolute best, but a good cheap solution.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

My Plano has hit capacity, sadly. I've had to double-up on a couple of the sturdier ships (A-wings and Y-Wings) to fit everything in there in a logical manner. I think my next step will have to be a tool box or fishing gear box.

Maybe you're one of those people who honestly thinks they'll ever run a 5 Y-Wing squad (you won't) but a reasonable collection fits pretty well if you build a TIE train:

The Falcon and Slave I have to live in the Falcon's box though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Poopy Palpy posted:

Maybe you're one of those people who honestly thinks they'll ever run a 5 Y-Wing squad (you won't) but a reasonable collection fits pretty well if you build a TIE train:

Didn't think to use the bases like you did. I'm gonna steal that setup! I actually have less stuff than you do. I have 3 X-Wings, 5 TIEs, 2 A-Wings, 1 TIE Interceptor, 2 TIE Advanceds, and 2 Y-Wings.

Also, i find it hilarious that if you go to that Plano's store page on Amazon, the "users who bought this item also bought..." section is full of X-Wing stuff.

EDIT: What do you have all those little number tokens attached to there?

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 12, 2013

Myoclonic Jerk
Nov 10, 2008

jivjov posted:

Didn't think to use the bases like you did. I'm gonna steal that setup! I actually have less stuff than you do. I have 3 X-Wings, 5 TIEs, 2 A-Wings, 1 TIE Interceptor, 2 TIE Advanceds, and 2 Y-Wings.

Also, i find it hilarious that if you go to that Plano's store page on Amazon, the "users who bought this item also bought..." section is full of X-Wing stuff.

That gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside.

I, too, am going to steal the hell out of that clever setup (once I have enough stuff to make it necessary).

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Poopy Palpy posted:

:stare:

How many points are you playing with per game with all those TIEs?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
I use those plano cases as well, I have two, a single side and a double side.

Left top storage for counters and rulers. Right: double sided case, Imperial side.

Left lower storage, bases, cards, dice. Right: Rebel side. I think I need more rebels.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

:stare:

How many points are you playing with per game with all those TIEs?

TIEs are cheap. You can potentially field 5 ties and not hit 100 points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

jivjov posted:

TIEs are cheap. You can potentially field 5 ties and not hit 100 points.

Hell, I exercised restraint. I could have topped off at 8 Fighters when all we had was wave one, but I knew I would never not fly an Interceptor once wave two hit.

• Locked thread