Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crossposting from the eShop thread, but it seems like Runner 2 will finally be released in Europe tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

farfromsleep posted:

Just to provide a little balance, wii games look a little worse on my wii u compared to running through 480p component on my old wii. It's not a huge difference, but I certainly wouldn't rate the U as a big improvement or anything.

Also, I'm not sure if it's just an anomaly with my setup, but wii games look extremely washed out for some reason, like the brightness/gamma is far too high. Native Wii U stuff looks great.

It seems weird, but I noticed an image improvement when I set the video output to 480p HD in the Wii U settings, then launched the Wii app. Made Skyward Sword look noticeably better on my TV.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...

Soul Glo posted:

a lovely framerate (which is really the only bad thing I saw or heard about B:AC, besides the price difference of the other versions at the time of the Wii U release).

Having actually played the game the framerate really isn't that bad, and it's actually a great port. They have actually added things to the game which make great use of the gamepad such as the map with touchscreen waypoint and remote batarang controls. A neat touch is how you can hear Alfred's radio communications through the gamepad. Granted, the B.A.T. mode doesn't add much. Also all the DLC is included it is worth getting at the reduced price.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Balcony posted:

Having actually played the game the framerate really isn't that bad, and it's actually a great port. They have actually added things to the game which make great use of the gamepad such as the map with touchscreen waypoint and remote batarang controls. A neat touch is how you can hear Alfred's radio communications through the gamepad. Granted, the B.A.T. mode doesn't add much. Also all the DLC is included it is worth getting at the reduced price.

I saw the game played on Giantbomb, and the framerate was chugging. The guys playing it confirmed it was running pretty poorly, so it wasn't an effect of the streaming quality. That video of them playing it is still on the site.

Some people don't notice or mind as much in terms of framerate, but you are the first person I've heard describe Batman: Arkham City on the Wii U as "a great port."

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I had the game. The framerate is fine. No worse than your average action game with unlocked frame rate.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
You have to remember they did that stream day one if the Wii U's release. Stands to reason that some amount of patching occurred since then.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You have to remember they did that stream day one if the Wii U's release. Stands to reason that some amount of patching occurred since then.

How many console games get patches to improve performance, though? Then how many of those are on a Nintendo console?

Hey, I'm not saying don't play the Wii U version if that's your only option or you don't see the hiccups. If you see it and like it, go hog wild. The game itself is great. I liked it way better than Asylum (which is against popular opinion, but bah!).

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I think every game I own on WiiU has been patched, and I own a lot, system resource stability patches not withstanding.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I own five retail games and three downloadable ones, and the only one that hasn't gotten a patch of some kind is Lego City, so I'm not sure what point you were trying to make, but it wasn't a very good one.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Not every game patch is to make the game not run like poo poo. That was my point as that was what we were talking about.

Stability and bug fixes =\= performance enhancement.

We were specifically talking about framerate. You don't typically see framerate adjustments in patches, do you?

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Soul Glo posted:

How many console games get patches to improve performance, though? Then how many of those are on a Nintendo console?

Hey, I'm not saying don't play the Wii U version if that's your only option or you don't see the hiccups. If you see it and like it, go hog wild. The game itself is great. I liked it way better than Asylum (which is against popular opinion, but bah!).

To be fair, a lot of the WiiU's launch titles and ports were a iffy until they were patched. The day-1 Miiverse patch made a good chunk of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed unplayable, but those were all fixed eventually.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SilverSupernova posted:

To be fair, a lot of the WiiU's launch titles and ports were a iffy until they were patched. The day-1 Miiverse patch made a good chunk of Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed unplayable, but those were all fixed eventually.

Still not what I'm talking about, but cool.

Unless there is a severe problem with a game's code as to cause framerate hitches to the point of rendering the game unplayable (as seen when a game is saving data incorrectly and auto-saves take up so many resources as to cause the game to skip large chunks of frames like Uncharted 3 does on a specific line on hard drives in the Super Slim PS3s), you're not gonna see a game get patched to take a 15-20 FPS game up to where it probably belongs (hopefully 30 FPS).

Batman ran poorly upon release. It probably still does. And it kind of boggles my mind that some of you are having trouble separating a poorly coded port of a game getting a patch to enhance graphical performance from an outright broken game getting a patch to be made playable as intended.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Soul Glo posted:

Not every game patch is to make the game not run like poo poo. That was my point as that was what we were talking about.

We were specifically talking about framerate. You don't typically see framerate adjustments in patches, do you?

It's true you rarely see patches dedicated solely to optimizing the game, yes, but bug fixes are quite capable of changing things that ultimately help performance. You see it all the time in PC games, where patching things like Memory Leaks aren't labeled with "IMPROVED FRAMERATE", but the act of closing the memory leak ultimately does result in a smoother game.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Artix posted:

It's true you rarely see patches dedicated solely to optimizing the game, yes, but bug fixes are quite capable of changing things that ultimately help performance. You see it all the time in PC games, where patching things like Memory Leaks aren't labeled with "IMPROVED FRAMERATE", but the act of closing the memory leak ultimately does result in a smoother game.

Right. Do you have a source that shows Batman received such a patch or should I keep assuming it has the same lower than optimal framerate that it did upon release?

Assuming it was patched to fix its framerate because other games received patches to fix things not even relating to graphical performance is a really weird leap of logic.

Again: if you can deal with the game's performance issues, then great. I'm not saying that the game should go unplayed. Just know that a lot of people saw it as a graphically subpar port when it was released and, most likely, still is. Unless there's an article about a patch that specifies that stuff was fixed, I don't see a reason to assume it was.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Re: Batman, I saw this on Neogaf the other day:

quote:

Picked up Batman AC: Armored Edition for $20 at Best Buy. Very well done port! Graphics are slightly better than PS3/360 with the frame rate usually at 30+ FPS. Sometimes going near 60 depending on the camera angle. No jaggies (that I can see.) No texture pop-in. No screen tearing. This is a far cry from what I saw of it at E3 last year (sub 30 and textures took forever to load). Major improvement.

Also has all of the DLC included, off TV Play and the most Gamepad support I've seen in any ported Wii U game so far. This includes the map, mini-games and sub-menus. Even your phone convos are done on the GamePad to help really bring you into the game. The new feature is Batman's new Armor which can absorb his punches until a meter turns blue. Then you touch the blue spot on the gamepad and he deals extra damage in his punches. If you don't have any of the DLC on your old copy, at $20 it's definitely worth double dipping.

quote:

quote:

Are you playing at 720p? It's just that people had real frame rate problems with Batman at 1080. Or has it been patched?
I'm pretty sure the game is playing at 720P. I will say there are moments where if you're fighting a bunch of thugs and there's a lot of scenery around, it will slow down a bit. Not to Ninja Gaiden levels though (that game can go from 60 FPS to like playing underwater). Depends on the camera placement. I've had just as bad slowdown playing on PS3 at times. Mostly, it stays at 30 and above.

There is an odd glitch where sometimes the game won't finish it's initial load. Just a black screen and music. Has happened to me once so far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Fair enough. Maybe the stream I was watching was being played at 1080, then, which would make sense as it was by professional videogamesmen.

It is a really good game too. And much more palatable at Best Buy's $20 price point than when it released at launch.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Soul Glo posted:

This has actually been a Thing lately with the latest long-generation crossplatform games, since PCs have been growing in power while the 360 and especially PS3 show their age. Hopefully, performance increasing patches will stick around as a concept!

BF3 had some issues where the game would just sit on the black-with-blue-square load screen forever that was fixed, control responsiveness issues to give input more priority, slowdowns related to anti-aliasing functions on the PS3, stuff like that. As much poo poo as goons give DICE, they've honestly released a lot of patches to try to make the PS3 and Xbox version not run like poo poo and have painful load times. Of course they'll rightfully continue to get poo poo thrown at them for introducing problems in the first place, and dumbing down gameplay and visuals to make up for consoles.

(If we're talking PC games, there are a lot of framerate boosts, but much of that is delivered via graphics card driver updates too where the game creators and hardware/driver manufacturers can collaborate on finding and improving troublesome functions. It's not atypical to see "Game X framerate boosted by 50%/100%/300% and/or supports SLI/crossfire now" in their patchnotes)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
So I've given up on my current hard drive. It doesn't plug into the wall so it just doesn't get enough power from the Wii-U to run constantly. I've been waiting to play The Cave for like a month now.

What are some good hard drives I should look at? I'm probably getting something between 250-500GB and I'm in :canada:

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 10, 2013

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
Sure you don't just need one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-3-Feet-Cable-External-Drive/dp/B0047AALS0

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The problem is it plugs only into the Wii-U. It will run for about 20 minutes and then my Wii U will suddenly shut down and claim the hard drive got disconnected. Which I believe means the Wii-U cannot run enough power into it. That's why I need a hard drive I can plug into my power bar so it runs off of that instead of the Wii-U.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
You could just get a Y-Cable, that's exactly what it's for.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Artix posted:

You could just get a Y-Cable, that's exactly what it's for.

So I would be running it through my computer instead of the Wii-U?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

If the drive takes twice the power that one plug can provide, you give it two plugs. Thus, the Y-cable.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Gotcha. Thanks este, Artix and Chronojam!

:glomp:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Just got LEGO City: Undercover today. So far, I'm not regretting my purchase; especially not after the Bluebell Mines... :allears:

Nekrews
Sep 14, 2007
So when I switched on my Wu today the gamepad was unresponsive for a good few minutes. Like, everything on TV was normal and the triggers and X button still worked, but the control stick, dpad and just basic touch was a no go. It has seemed to have fixed itself, and I recalibrated the touchscreen and reset the console anyway.

Has this happened to anyone else? There's also a rattle when I shake the pad, but I think that's always been there.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Someone mentioned that earlier actually. They had fixed it by removing and trending the battery.

The rattling is either the stylus or if you don't have that in, the abxy buttons. Probably nothing to worry about.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Nekrews posted:

There's also a rattle when I shake the pad, but I think that's always been there.

I think the rattle is the rumble all wiiu pads I've seen do that.

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Nintendo has always been crazy. Isn't that why we love them?

I think it's kind of annoying that Nintendo still operates in the mindset that it's a whimsical toy manufacturer because it worked in 1985.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Toady posted:

I think it's kind of annoying that Nintendo still operates in the mindset that it's a whimsical toy manufacturer because it worked in 1985.

I personally want them to continue doing this by mostly focusing on games. I highly dislike the direction MS is going by trying to take over your living room first and slap gaming on top of it.

Also, one person's "whimsical" is another person's "innovative risk taking". Nintendo produces plenty of duds, but I absolutely love that they never shy away from taking big chances with new ideas. I wish more companies did this in general across all industries and not just gaming.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Here's what I assume is an USA Club Nintendo code for Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

S3V-HJWR-SLX6-8SK

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Here's what I assume is an USA Club Nintendo code for Super Smash Bros. Brawl:

S3V-HJWR-SLX6-8SK

Thanks

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Xavier434 posted:

I personally want them to continue doing this by mostly focusing on games. I highly dislike the direction MS is going by trying to take over your living room first and slap gaming on top of it.

Also, one person's "whimsical" is another person's "innovative risk taking". Nintendo produces plenty of duds, but I absolutely love that they never shy away from taking big chances with new ideas. I wish more companies did this in general across all industries and not just gaming.

I just wish the WiiU offered some way to keep up with the latest Mountain Dew news and events. The Xbox is way ahead of Nintendo in this area.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

I just wish the WiiU offered some way to keep up with the latest Mountain Dew news and events. The Xbox is way ahead of Nintendo in this area.

It wouldn't work because Nintendo doesn't offer a means by which gamers can get DOUBLE XP with the purchase of any specially marked packages of Mountain Dew. It's a shame, really.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is there a way to delete entries from the Daily Log? I did that charm table trick thing for MH and want to delete that entry.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/12/splinter-cell-blacklists-director-says-stealth-is-not-a-nice-thing/

Stealth in a stealth based franchise is a bad thing you guys.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I think he may have a point about needing to strike a balance though. It's just that him and I might disagree about where that sweet spot is.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat it. How did Splinter Cell go from most awesome stealth franchise to "Press X buttan to War Crime".

How did they not understand how much everyone loving hated Conviction and the stupid "moral choices" (kill good guy or kill bad guy? Hrmmmmm) system in Double Agent.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

greatn posted:

God drat it. How did Splinter Cell go from most awesome stealth franchise to "Press X buttan to War Crime".

How did they not understand how much everyone loving hated Conviction and the stupid "moral choices" (kill good guy or kill bad guy? Hrmmmmm) system in Double Agent.

Presumably Conviction sold more than previous games in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

greatn posted:

Tons of people liked Conviction and it sold really well so yeah. I thought the old games were good fun but I like the new direction. It's something different.

• Locked thread