Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yyyyyy
Jan 13, 2013

by T. Finninho

MrSaturn posted:

And second gen is electric!

Also, my old Corvair had a wacky boomerang handbrake to the left of and below the steering wheel, which made using it on hills a pain in the rear end. I learned the hard way with that car. On everything. Don't buy a Corvair.

My cousin had a old early 80s cutlass, like this but this isn't his:

with a stompy-brake like that and he would do e-brake doriftus all over town in it by just holding the release lever with his left hand (he's got spider arms so he could still drive it) and modulating the e-brake with his foot (it was an automatic)

poo poo is funny as hell, noone expects the ultimate grandma car to get sideways

edit: just realised that corvair doesn't have a stompy brake but some weird lever thing! Ahh

yyyyyy fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

Handbrake chat reminds me of the time my dad rented a car when we went on holiday to the US. We ended up with a Dodge Caravan which apparently had a handbrake on the steering wheel column. The second day we had it, we went for a drive and my dad who is used to cars having the handbrake next to the seat didn't disengage it before driving off.

We must have driven about 30 miles before stopping at a junction, and we noticed a dude in the car next to us waving and pointing at the back wheels. This is when we realised the rear brakes had caught fire and my dad quickly jumped out and threw a bottle of water on them. Luckily nothing else seemed to be damaged, and hey it was a rental so who gives a poo poo, but it was still pretty scary.

Why the hell would you put the handbrake in such a stupid place though?

Apparently my dad really liked the Caravan though, we've owned a Chrysler Vogager for the past 10 years. I think that's pretty terrible car stuff. :suicide:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
My friend had a 1997 Cadillac DeVille with one of those stupid electronic on/off parking brakes, so you couldn't apply it or take it off manually. And, since it was the 90's, everything was electric, but nothing electric functioned properly.

It is singularly my least favorite car I have ever personally driven.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
I blame the VW crowd.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I love how they just put a giant Subaru logo in place of the tachometer on the base model.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Not satisfied with Fiat's modern offerings, one man takes it upon himself to add the classical aspects of the brand along with his bodykit.

:cripes:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

I like this.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

InitialDave posted:

Not satisfied with Fiat's modern offerings, one man takes it upon himself to add the classical aspects of the brand along with his bodykit.

Holy poo poo, that hood.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrSaturn posted:

And second gen is electric!

Also, my old Corvair had a wacky boomerang handbrake to the left of and below the steering wheel, which made using it on hills a pain in the rear end. I learned the hard way with that car. On everything. Don't buy a Corvair.

Nearly every 1960s car had that type of under dash/umbrella handbrake. Ford persisted with it in the Falcon till the early 90s

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

InitialDave posted:

How does that happen? Poor accident repair?

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Maybe it's hooked up to the radiator...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CharlesM posted:

How does that happen? Poor accident repair?

Standard Fiat build quality. Also note if you're not familiar with UK number plates, that car was built in the second half of 2004.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Ygolonac posted:

Maybe it's hooked up to the radiator...

Wrong thread.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not sure if awesome (because it's making fun of diesel truck ricers) or horrible (because of the ricers.)

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

CharlesM posted:

I love how they just put a giant Subaru logo in place of the tachometer on the base model.

Wait what? Do they really sell a car that has no tach?

Although I guess I'm not one to talk since I have no temperature gauge...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Lots of cars have been sold without tachs. My coworker had a base model Ford Focus manual transmission without one, he told me he just shifted based on when the engine sounded a little strangled. I added an Equus tach to a friend's manual VW Eurovan, which definitely wasn't a cheap car when it was new.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chevy, Honda, Toyota, etc have all done it on their base of the base beater cars as well.

I can't actually see this saving a hell of a lot of money. How much does it cost to add a gauge to a car?

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Apr 12, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Volvo used to put an honest-to-good analogue clock instead of the tach :3:

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Had a manual transmission chevy prizm without a tach, but swapped in a corolla cluster with one and it worked fine. Does it really cost that much more to put in a drat tach???

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
I think the point is that you have to "pay to play." You're only going to buy the base model? Have fun with your unpainted body accents so everyone knows you're cheap. Nowadays that mentality has kinda fallen by the wayside and is more "it's cheaper to manufacture all our cars with more options if that increases volume sales."

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
A tach is pretty useless in econoboxes really. Who cares?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

JP Money posted:

A tach is pretty useless in automatic econoboxes really. Who cares?

Fixed...you can still benefit from a tach in a manual transmission econobox.

In my experience with late-model cars it seems they're shifting more towards putting the bare essentials in the gauge cluster, which the industry seems to have decided consists of a speedometer, tach and fuel gauge with everything else either gone and handled by an idiot light or accessible through a LCD panel in the cluster. FWIW most of the car driving public could get by with nothing more than a speedometer with the major speed limits printed on it (25-65 at 10 MPH intervals) and idiot lights for everything else. Most temperature gauges in recent cars are little more than analog idiot lights (remains dead center through a wide range of actual engine temperatures and is only to the left or right at cold start or damage imminent overheating), and fuel gauges are only really accurate at F, 1/2 and E with everything else being more of extrapolation than from actual sensor data.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

Voltage posted:

Had a manual transmission chevy prizm without a tach, but swapped in a corolla cluster with one and it worked fine. Does it really cost that much more to put in a drat tach???

Always wondered this myself. Also, my manual '99 Civic DX (no power options other than power steering) doesn't have a tach either.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

JP Money posted:

A tach is pretty useless in econoboxes really. Who cares?

I'd kinda like to know I'm not overrevving it before its warm?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
You need a tach to tell you to keep your foot out of it on an old corolla? It's not hard to drive it easy until it heats up. It's not like you're going to be hitting the rev limiter in every gear on an economy car.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

kastein posted:

Not sure if awesome (because it's making fun of diesel truck ricers) or horrible (because of the ricers.)

I just googled "roll coal" because of this and I think the results qualify as peak terrible

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Voltage posted:

We had a 5-ton diesel work truck with no tach. Five-speed gearbox and no airbrakes; max GVW before CDL required. It had just a huge speedo in the center, a trip counter and fuel gauge to one side. That was it in front of the wheel. There was no indication (that I could find) that the hi-beams were on, other than you maybe figure out whether the foot switch was a little more "down."

Our regular driver was stone deaf, and shifted when the truck rattled bad. I rode with him ONCE, and I think he's shifting this huge 10-liter straight-six diesel at probably 2k, maybe 2200. It sounded like the apocalypse inside.

When I drove, we miraculously got 14mpg. When he drove, 4mpg, maybe 5.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Brigdh posted:

I'd kinda like to know I'm not overrevving it before its warm?

Where's the "not until warm" mark on a tach?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's not like it is terribly important with an econobox anyway. A rotary or something like an S54 with close tolerances and mechanical lifters, yes. A Sentra, not so much.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
Dude just wants more oversteer what's wrong with that

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Das Volk posted:

I just googled "roll coal" because of this and I think the results qualify as peak terrible

It's not just idiot truck bros with grasshopper lifted diesels, either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDHODg5091U

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

JP Money posted:

You need a tach to tell you to keep your foot out of it on an old corolla? It's not hard to drive it easy until it heats up. It's not like you're going to be hitting the rev limiter in every gear on an economy car.

I happen to live 3 blocks from a highway, which I use to commute to work. The "on ramp" lane is fairly short, so you actually have to use a fair amount of acceleration to make the transition from 25 to 65 before merging. On cold mornings, the temp gauge usually hasn't started moving before I attempt to merge. I'm also of the opinion that you should warm up the engine as fast as possible, instead of letting it sit and idle for an hour.

But ya know, clearly you know everything and if you don't need it, then no one else in the world could possible have a use for it.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Generally about 3k, at least that's what every owners manual I've seen mentions. Your vehicle might be different.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
My '88 Nova 5 speed didn't have a tach, giant temp and fuel gauges in its place. I wished it had one every day I had that car. If pretty much just shifted whenever it stopped accelerating.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

kastein posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me glad we have regular inspections and a fuckton of regulations.

I mean, I kinda get where those people are coming from because at one point in my life I also thought that cars and trucks smoking a lot was cool, because clearly more smoke equaled more power. But I was also 6 at the time.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Cakefool posted:

Volvo used to put an honest-to-good analogue clock instead of the tach :3:

My 82 Volvo didn't come with a tach. It had an optional one put in. I was taught to never look at the tach and to use the feel of the clutch and the sounds the engine was making to determine my gear changes.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

parrhesia posted:

It's poo poo like this that makes me glad we have regular inspections and a fuckton of regulations.

I mean, I kinda get where those people are coming from because at one point in my life I also thought that cars and trucks smoking a lot was cool, because clearly more smoke equaled more power. But I was also 6 at the time.

No inspections in CT (where that abomination is from) but they do have emissions tests one would hope would catch that.

"coal rollers" just put their cars back to stock for inspections.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

kastein posted:

I love how he's also got stretched tires. I bet his hood is rusty too. loving dipships.

Apparently calling out people who can't drive standard transmissions in GBS is a terrible car thing also. I expect a red title because someone got butthurt that I made fun of lovely autotragics.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

kastein posted:

I hate everything that has ever been and ever will be. My hate is alpha and omega - it is the first hate, and the last hate, and all the hate that ever will be. Gaze upon, ye sinners, and despair, for this is what humankind has wrought upon the world. Repent, and feel shame!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

veedubfreak posted:

Apparently calling out people who can't drive standard transmissions in GBS is a terrible car thing also. I expect a red title because someone got butthurt that I made fun of lovely autotragics.

Nah, but being a dick about it is a terrible thing. The red light creeper thing was relevant, getting all high and mighty because you drive a car with a "real" transmission wasn't.

Ain't nothing wrong with automatics. I prefer a stick shift unless I'm in some kind of decidedly non-sporty cruiser type car, but it's not like automatics are actively hurting me (or you) by being available in other types of cars as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

kastein posted:

I love my TDi and all... but drat do they have a disappointing exhaust note. There's the diesel rumble/clatter but behind it I just can't help but hear the audio equivalent of :v:

Also for awful exhaust and running sounds I nominate the 2.9L Cologne V6: A tale of rattles and clanking signifying nothing

And I'd just like to say that I've tried, repeatedly, to understand how an automatic transmission actually functions and it just escapes me. I see pictures and diagrams and just end up going "yup, that sure is a mechanical thingy, I tell you what". I've got a handle on torque converters but the transmissions are powered by hopes, dreams, and the use of strange eldritch mechanicals to confuse the universe into changing the ratio of input and output speeds as far as I can figure out.