Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Spiderdrake posted:

Has Loeb written any major cross over events?

Does Ultimatum count?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Dacap posted:

Does Ultimatum count?

There was never anything written with that title.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah how would that even make sense? Who would be giving it? Would the answer be involved. Sounds like a terrible name.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jeph Loeb was one of the main minds behind Our Worlds At War.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Isn't that the one that's fundamentally "OMG A NEW BIG BAD GUY WE'VE NEVER HEARD OF IS COMING AND HE'S EVEN WORSE THAN DOOMSDAY AND DARKSEID COMBINED" followed by a shock death of Aquaman?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mind the walrus posted:

Isn't that the one that's fundamentally "OMG A NEW BIG BAD GUY WE'VE NEVER HEARD OF IS COMING AND HE'S EVEN WORSE THAN DOOMSDAY AND DARKSEID COMBINED" followed by a shock death of Aquaman?

Yup. And it let Loeb swipe some incredibly iconic lines from Superman TMP and use them in a badly crafted scene.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Oh well. I do remember the Young Justice tie-in was pretty nice since it just dumped the kids on Apokalips and said "have fun you scamps" before setting the nightmare fuel on high.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I can't even imagine an animated Identity Crisis movie. Rape, characters being stupid, and a stomach sinking into testicles. Nope, I don't think we'll ever see that.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't the stomach sinking to testicles line from Batman Year One? I still argue that it's a real feeling. Like when you get blindsided by the worst news you've ever heard.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Rhyno posted:

Jeph Loeb was one of the main minds behind Our Worlds At War.
OWAW would make a sweet crossover animated thing as it's loud and punchy, but Ultimatum would probably beat Identity Crisis for most horrifying things to commit to screen.

Well good work Flashpoint, you're not even in the bottom five it looks like.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Die Laughing posted:

Wasn't the stomach sinking to testicles line from Batman Year One? I still argue that it's a real feeling. Like when you get blindsided by the worst news you've ever heard.

No, it was a line from a Meltzer interview when he was talking about learning that Terra was actually a villain and sleeping with Deathstroke.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a real feeling but that is a terribly written line. I don't think you really need to say that your stomach sunk to your testicles. Just leave that last part out of it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
My testicles withdraw and rise into my stomach

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I really hope they "adapt" Flashpoint into something like "Flash accidentally bounced into another dimension that's really weird and different" instead of "Flash changed where Superman's rocket landed by trying to save his mother's life :psypop:"

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I wouldn't be surprised if the Flashpoint movie was a way to lead into some New 52 Animated universe in order to build up some synergy.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

mind the walrus posted:

Actually given how poo poo like JLU/YJ tends to be the exception and not the rule, I'd say Teen Titans is a little more typical of your average superhero cartoon. Y'know, where for the first few seasons continuity and plot threads take a backseat but around season 3 or so poo poo GETS REAL as the audience/writing staff have been whittled down to the hardcore base. But I digress.
Huh? Teen Titans didn't really have any real plot progression from season to season. The poo poo GETS REAL was something that happened EVERY season near the end until the finale and then the reset button was pushed and next season was back to the usual tone. Every season was pretty much it's own thing and followed pretty much the same formula, including the obligatory one WACKY episode each season.

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Apr 10, 2013

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Huh? Teen Titans didn't really have any real plot progression from season to season. The poo poo GETS REAL was something that happened EVERY season near the end until the finale and then the reset button was pushed and next season was back to the usual tone. Every season was pretty much it's own thing and followed pretty much the same formula, including the obligatory one WACKY episode each season.

Put another way: it's structured a lot like a Whedon show. One season long villain plot, intercut with some unrelated lighter stand alone episodes, and end of the season tends to be main plot heavy. Also, seasons 1&2 are probably the most related to each other.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm interested in the Flashpoint movie if only for Ron Perlman back as Slade, but I'm not excited to hear Conroy as Batman again, especially since it's not even Bruce. I love Conroy's voice work, but dammit I was hoping to hear a new Batman voice for Dr. Wayne.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Thomas Wayne as Batman is exactly the same character as old man Bruce Wayne in Batman Beyond, so I don't have a problem with it.

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm interested in the Flashpoint movie if only for Ron Perlman back as Slade, but I'm not excited to hear Conroy as Batman again, especially since it's not even Bruce. I love Conroy's voice work, but dammit I was hoping to hear a new Batman voice for Dr. Wayne.

I thought it said he's only non-Flashpoint batman, not Thomas Wayne?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
So it did, sorry about my mistake. I can't wait to see who they get for Thomas though since most of the time I've seen him in other stuff he's been voiced by past Batmen.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I'm excited to see who they'll get too. As much as I'm a fan of Conroy-as-Batman, it is kind of nice to hear a different take on the character now and again. I don't know when exactly he just started doing Batman for every single animated feature and video game, but it's almost gotten me burnt out on the guy.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

TwoPair posted:

I'm excited to see who they'll get too. As much as I'm a fan of Conroy-as-Batman, it is kind of nice to hear a different take on the character now and again. I don't know when exactly he just started doing Batman for every single animated feature and video game, but it's almost gotten me burnt out on the guy.
He hasn't done animated features since the DCAU stuff ended.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Which was almost a decade ago.

E- Although didn't he do Batman in a few features? I know he was in the Earth-2 and the Loeb-Adaptations.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 12, 2013

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

mind the walrus posted:

Which was almost a decade ago.

E- Although didn't he do Batman in a few features? I know he was in the Earth-2 and the Loeb-Adaptations.
Actually, yeah, you're right. That said, it has still be a treat when he was Batman since it wasn't a regular thing anymore. From IMDB since JLU ended:

Justice League: The New Frontier - Jepermy Sisto
The Batman (series) - Rino Romano
Batman: Gotham Knight - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Black and White - Michael Dobson
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Under the Red Hood - Bruce Greenwood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Year One - Ben McKenzie
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (series) - Diedrich Bader
The Death and Return of Superman - Whitney Moore
Justice League: Doom - Kevin Conroy
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2 - Peter Weller
Young Justice (series) - Bruce Greewood
LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite - Troy Baker
The Lego Movie - Will Arnett
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Arkham City - Kevin Conroy

So, yeah, I can at least see where the perception comes from, since he's done half, but there's been three cartoons (one with Batman as a supporting character) without Conroy as the voice and several animated features.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Conroy was the Batman of Zur En Arrh in the The Super Batman of Planet X! episode of Brave and the Bold.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Actually, yeah, you're right. That said, it has still be a treat when he was Batman since it wasn't a regular thing anymore. From IMDB since JLU ended:

Justice League: The New Frontier - Jepermy Sisto
The Batman (series) - Rino Romano
Batman: Gotham Knight - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Black and White - Michael Dobson
Superman/Batman: Public Enemies - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Under the Red Hood - Bruce Greenwood
Superman/Batman: Apocalypse - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Year One - Ben McKenzie
Batman: The Brave and the Bold (series) - Diedrich Bader
The Death and Return of Superman - Whitney Moore
Justice League: Doom - Kevin Conroy
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 & 2 - Peter Weller
Young Justice (series) - Bruce Greewood
LEGO Batman: The Movie - DC Superheroes Unite - Troy Baker
The Lego Movie - Will Arnett
Batman: Arkham Asylum - Kevin Conroy
Batman: Arkham City - Kevin Conroy

So, yeah, I can at least see where the perception comes from, since he's done half, but there's been three cartoons (one with Batman as a supporting character) without Conroy as the voice and several animated features.

Yeah, I guess I kinda overexaggerated my point (and wow, I didn't realize just how many movies I hadn't seen).

...and drat, thanks to season 2, I nearly forgot Batman was even in Young Justice.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Die Laughing posted:

Conroy was the Batman of Zur En Arrh in the The Super Batman of Planet X! episode of Brave and the Bold.

And wasn't he the Phantom Stranger in that one with Bruce finding Joe Chill? (OK, not Batman, but it's not like he's distanced himself from the brand)

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

And wasn't he the Phantom Stranger in that one with Bruce finding Joe Chill? (OK, not Batman, but it's not like he's distanced himself from the brand)

and Mark Hamill was the Spectre.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I don't give a gently caress about statistics. Conroy IS 'the bat'. gently caress all impersonators.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

deong posted:

I don't give a gently caress about statistics. Conroy IS 'the bat'. gently caress all impersonators.

Basically this. Conroy can be Batman as often as he likes as far as I'm concerned, because he's the voice I hear in my head when I read Batman comics.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah, but when people talk about Bruce Wayne I always think of Keaton.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Basically this. Conroy can be Batman as often as he likes as far as I'm concerned, because he's the voice I hear in my head when I read Batman comics.

"In my mind, that's not what I call myself."

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, but when people talk about Bruce Wayne I always think of Keaton.

When people talk about Kevin Conroy, I picture BTAS Bruce Wayne. Like, that's actually what the voice actor looks like.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

jscolon2.0 posted:

"In my mind, that's not what I call myself."
That was one of my favorite episodes of Batman Beyond, grumpy old Bruce was the best :allears:

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I'm watching First Flight for the first time since I saw it when of came out and I'm getting mad on the Internet about Sinestro's ring being on the wrong hand.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

When people talk about Kevin Conroy, I picture BTAS Bruce Wayne. Like, that's actually what the voice actor looks like.

Fun fact: Kevin Conroy only owns brown suits and yellow button downs.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Teen Titans Go is going to premier April 23rd at 7:30/6:30. The weird thing about that is that its a Tuesday.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

muscles like this? posted:

Teen Titans Go is going to premier April 23rd at 7:30/6:30. The weird thing about that is that its a Tuesday.

Yes, they're giving it a better timeslot than YJ or GL ever had, while still looking like a newgrounds flash series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

achillesforever6 posted:

That was one of my favorite episodes of Batman Beyond, grumpy old Bruce was the best :allears:

The Rhas Al Ghul episode is still my favorite, especially his reaction to being kissed by Rhas in Talia's body.

• Locked thread