Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Logged in this evening after MONTHS of inactivity to find all my characters missing. I've sent a ticket to support but does anyone know anything about this? I'm just curious if you guys have some information NOW instead of "3-4 business days."
The only thing I can really think of is somehow not getting your account linked to Perfect World's correctly, but that's something support can (theoretically) fix. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I think it's that because I know I had a Cryptic account and then the PW thing happened, but I was NEVER asked to merge and the merging instructions just say, "Log in HERE!" and then when I do nothing loving happens.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I think it's that because I know I had a Cryptic account and then the PW thing happened, but I was NEVER asked to merge and the merging instructions just say, "Log in HERE!" and then when I do nothing loving happens.

They asked everybody to merge. It was a mass e-mail. You probably missed it or it was sent to your spam box or something.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Likely just missed it. But the instructions say when you log in to their site with an non-linked account it'll prompt you, but it doesn't. Can't wait to get my characters for a game I haven't played in months back!

e: Support linked my accounts successfully. Got my characters back. Made a new alt as well, but the game doesn't really have any togas. Shame really.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 4, 2013

OrangeSoda
Oct 8, 2007

OrangeSoda digivolved into Monzaemon!

OrangeSoda has unlocked BEAR POWERS!

Allatum posted:

I'm not really sure what prompted this combination of things but all I can think of is some one wanting to roleplay some spooky rapeclown.

I think he's a homestuck character. No, seriously. I am pretty sure he is.

V Hell if I know.

OrangeSoda fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 12, 2013

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Can the Homestuck character vibrate through walls?

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

OrangeSoda posted:

I think he's a homestuck character. No, seriously. I am pretty sure he is.

V Hell if I know.

I think this has become the go to response for unexplainable things on the internet. It's usually right to.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I have cryptic points. Which vehicle do you recommend I buy to see once and then not log in again for months?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well Homestuck pretty much exists now to be fellated by tumblr and deviantart and the like, so it's not exactly a big surprise there'd be a lot of overlap with creepy MMO RPers.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I have cryptic points. Which vehicle do you recommend I buy to see once and then not log in again for months?

Bikes are cooler than anything. And from my limited experience with vehicles, looking at them is about all they're good for. (Actually they can work as a fast, though situational, travel power if you use flight speed mods.)

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I think for straight up speed you're better off with a jet, mostly because their boost is massively faster and nine times out of ten you won't be going far enough that it runs out before you get there. Shame there's no 8 slot jet, I wish there was.

Also worth noting, if you have resources you can buy most vehicles off the auction house. The 8 slot ones or ones with mark 2 weapons are pretty expensive but everything else is comparatively cheap last I checked.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
Huh, it never even occurred to me that the boosts weren't all the same.

Speaking of mark 2 weapons, does anyone know how much stronger they are than the mark 1 version, as a rough percentage? (Weapon mods have useless tooltips and I'm not about to buy and slot one just to find out that my vehicle would still do less damage than my support character does on foot.)

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
I'd say Bikes are the most useful globally; though their booster is slower, they have an overall faster speed I think. (Their base speed is around 4.5 right?)
Jets have got better boosters, and even discounting the slower speed, they still move quite quickly.
Tanks are a waste of space. They only have one good thing; they draw a ridiculous amount of aggro. However, if you're a freeform, any upgrades you apply to your vehicle will immediately cancel out do to diminishing returns for some stupid reason. The one exemption from this rule is speed up mods, and weapons.

The fact of the matter is that most people with Freeform won't be able to equip their vehicles for any sort of useful combat: They draw too much aggro, deal less damage, are easily less durable than dedicated damage-takers, which can heal and have a defense passive, and they eschew their ability to meaningfully block attacks by being able to run away. Long story short; don't waste time on building a vehicle for combat. It's a big, super-fast travel power.

If you're looking to race in the new Malvan Race thing they released, it can easily be completed without a vehicle by using one of these travel powers:
  • Flight, and its reskins - Rank 3
  • Teleport - Rank 2/3
  • Jetpack/Jet Boots - Rank 2/3
  • Ice Slide - Rank 2/3; though it's a bit difficult.
  • Cape Glide - Perhaps possible with rank 1, maybe.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh man, lot of cool changes came through the came since I've been around with Ronald Raygun, maybe I should re-download and toodle around.

BlueDestiny
Jun 18, 2011

Mega deal with it

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh man, lot of cool changes came through the came since I've been around with Ronald Raygun, maybe I should re-download and toodle around.

God drat I wish I could come up with names like that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's just one of like... 15 Presidents we had come up with.

I think mine was Artillery Clinton.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I remember having a Hulk version of Jimmy Carter back when that was going on.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

I just had some Chinese dude try to change my email to some random rear end hotmail account. Considering that I haven't played any cryptic games in months people might want to keep an eye out if PW lost a bunch of passwords.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Probably some renewed effort with Neverwinter launching.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Copy-pasting my own post from the Neverwinter thread just to see if anyone here knows either:

quote:

This is literally unplayable for me. I'm having the SAME EXACT issues in Champions Online, so it's something to do with Cryptic's servers or the way their games connect or run or something. Either way, I cannot play Champions Online either.

I get HORRENDOUS rubberbanding. I mean if I'm able to log in within about 3 minutes it'll get to the point where I can't walk 10 steps forwards without zipping back to where I started. And it NEVER IMPROVES. If that's not it, I'll get random disconnects or server not responding issues that never reconnect, just time out. I have no idea what to do, the game has a firewall exception and I'm not entirely certain how I can troubleshoot either game on this issue.

The last time I played Champions Online was MONTHS ago and it was prior to Cryptic being purchased by PWE. I can't say whether this would have happened during their run, but I know it's happening now. Anyone ever hear of this or know if it's a common issue? "Oh, just uninstall FRAPS you silly goose!" that sort of poo poo?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Wish I knew what was going on, but a pubbie pal and myself have been having issues with STO. Earlier tonight we couldn't even get it to launch, it just did the whole "Updating launcher... wait, no Enjoy your error message". So It does seem to be something company wide.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Cryptic's down right now, like it was a night or two ago. All their games, websites, chat servers... who knows if it's the same reason or not, but it'll be back up eventually. Just do something else like play a good game instead meanwhile. :v:

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Copy-pasting my own post from the Neverwinter thread just to see if anyone here knows either:

You might've tried this already, but it's worth a mention. Try selecting a proxy in the launcher options, that used to be a good fix for a lot of connection problems and may still be.

Mystic Cave zOWNd fucked around with this message at 11:25 on May 4, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Just got back into the game and it is nice to see that balance in the game is still horrible. Power armour still does poo poo for damage and sucks endurance so bad. It is so ridiculous. Shuriken Spin does 400-500 every .5 seconds and can crit for 700 at lvl 20. Whereas Minigun and Plasma beam merely do a fraction of its damage with higher endurance costs.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Power Armor is balanced for multiple weapon systems running.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Just got back into the game and it is nice to see that balance in the game is still horrible. Power armour still does poo poo for damage and sucks endurance so bad. It is so ridiculous. Shuriken Spin does 400-500 every .5 seconds and can crit for 700 at lvl 20. Whereas Minigun and Plasma beam merely do a fraction of its damage with higher endurance costs.

As aphrodite said, you can stack weapons systems to do extra damage. Like, using Minigun and Plasma Beam at the same time. Second is rate of tick: Minigun hits 4 times per second. Plasma beam hits 10 times per second.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Bluhman posted:

As aphrodite said, you can stack weapons systems to do extra damage. Like, using Minigun and Plasma Beam at the same time. Second is rate of tick: Minigun hits 4 times per second. Plasma beam hits 10 times per second.

I know. I know.

Couple of questions.

1) I have a serious problem with teleport. I regularly get a stutter entering in and out of teleport. This would be fine if not for by the time i get back control the teleport duration ends and I plunge and take fall damage or aggro mobs? Anyone has this issue and how do I solve it?

2) What's with Claws? I read the thread and some goons were saying it was underpowered. It doesn't seem that bad. I get some pretty sick crits . Are the other weapons more potent?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
If nothing's changed with it since I last played (considering how neglected Claws is this wouldn't surprise me), Claws is bad because there's one absolutely amazing skill and the rest are just average or bad.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, I haven't played in ages (sorry :smith:) but I'm pretty sure Claws is basically the same as it always was, aside from some indirect changes/fixes to the martial arts sets in general.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

The teleport issue might be due to faulty connection. Try typing in /netgraph 1 to see if any lag spikes are happening when using teleport. If there are, try switching on a proxy in the launcher settings.

As for claws, yes. It's basically unchanged since 2009. It has a set of mediocre single-target attacks, and one devastatingly powerful one in Dragon Claws.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Is there a good way or place to find which abilities are better?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
CO Wiki has numbers for most things: http://www.champions-online-wiki.com/

It's missing a lot of things and is kind of poorly maintained though.

The main thing with Claws is that it's basically a single-target set, but SB does a lot more damage due to Swallowtail Cut existing, Reaper's Embrace doing a lot more damage than Tiger's Bite, and bleeds, especially if you're on a freeform and using the Bestial/SB dunk build. Its toggle is also stupid because charged melee attacks are unreliable with enemies lunging, getting punted, or doing things that force you to move away, compared to pretty much every other melee toggle that triggers on click skills.

DB is an AoE set and is probably still higher ST than Claws because Dragon's Wrath is bananas.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 11, 2013

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
The disadvantages of charge attacks compared to taps or maintains is the main complaint that I've personally heard about claws.

The power details on that wiki haven't been updated for some time. It's to the point that I no longer consider it a useful resource for specific numbers. If you're a subscriber, go on test server and you can experiment with all the powers you want and get accurate info. If you're not a subscriber, uh... just content yourself with the knowledge that CO isn't hard enough to require that sort of information? v:v:v

Historically it's been a decent assumption that whatever set they revamped most recently is the most powerful.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

randombattle posted:

I just had some Chinese dude try to change my email to some random rear end hotmail account. Considering that I haven't played any cryptic games in months people might want to keep an eye out if PW lost a bunch of passwords.

Oh boy and now PW just decided to ban my account. I am so pissed at these fuckers for not doing jack loving poo poo about this, making me deal with it, and letting someone just change emails with out a email/password confirmation or anything, only to up and ban my account.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
^^

That sucks goon. God knows there aren't enough people playing this game. Seems like a bad idea to just up and ban paying customers.

I am still have lag problems. It seems to happen quite often in the world map and in instances. It doesn't seem to be largely affected in alerts though. I don't think I can continue playing with this bothering me. This issue has been around since I started playing back when Champions launched. It's been so long I don't even remember if I paid a box price.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I've been playing STO a while, and I'm in the mood for superheroes.

My question is this: is there an easy way to earn zen in game? In STO you can drown in the stuff with some knowledge.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
Alert dalies are one quick way. Then there's ways to cheese the bunker bosses in the VIPER adventure pack. The second one still has a double drop, which includes two questionite boxes. So that's anything from 400 Q a run, or up to 3,000 if you're lucky.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I finally signed up for Champions, to fill the void left by City of Heroes. It's... not bad. The graphics are pretty good in most places, and it does a good job of making you feel heroic; for example, I like how you can be flying over the city, and it says "Oh no! Some VIPER soldiers have grabbed a civilian and are about to throw him off a building!" Or you can rescue a dude from muggers, and he'll say "Hey I saw some shady-looking dudes go into that building, you should check it out!", thus starting a mission. I like that, it makes the game feel real.

But, there are some very simple things from CoX that are missing here. You can't hit a button to magically exit a mission, contacts never give you their cell, and inventory management is a pain. Worse, it seems that unless I shell out $50 for freeform, I'll have very little choice in how to build a character, and will be a lot weaker than I could be. Overall they seem to be trying too hard to get people to buy Cryptic funbucks or whatever. Maybe I'm complaining a bit too much over a game that I haven't paid anything for and probably aren't going too, but... eh.

Anyway, any tips for Grimoire/Sorcery? I'm focusing on offense+Ego for max DPS.

Helios ex Kain
Oct 13, 2006

Gynovore posted:

You can't hit a button to magically exit a mission, contacts never give you their cell

Both of these are in the game but harder to find since they're both on a part of the UI a lot of people don't use (as far as I've noticed, anyway). The socrates looking button on the left side of the minimap will open the crime computer, this lets you leave a mission map and talk to contacts from anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

If you didn't know already, becoming a subscriber also gives you access to freeform characters AND power customization.