Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thats odd, Ive had good results with it in the past. Course then again Ive never really kept a car that long...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.
Got my car fixed over the past couple days... The problem was definitely the coil pack, so that got replaced. I also bought a whole new set of boots, and spark plugs. Also, the shift lever was repositioned, and the car has been cured of the intermittent no-start that it developed the night before it went into the shop. Last time I'm using the dealership though... I paid 730 plus taxes for all the parts, a steering column rebuild, and the 2 days of labor. :( I found a new garage that my dad has a working relationship with, so they'll be getting my business from now on.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I just "rebuilt" the bottom 3/4 of my steering column and it took less than an hour.

The only thing I can think of to be replaced in the rest is the tilt mechanism, but even that is pretty straight forward. Yeah don't be going to the dealer anymore.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Allrighty, I finally got my laptop working proper again so that means I'm finally fixing the OP! But while I'm typing that up, today's updates. I made it out to Pick n Pull again and snagged the little widget for my gas door to stay shut and also a CV jack. I looked at how it was mounted in the CV I pulled it from and checked mine, and I simply don't have the thing that it mounts on. So I'll have to make some sort of cheapy hold down. Also I forget if I mentioned it but I got a cupholder too out of a Taxi the other day. Works great.

Also, washed it today.

And then drove it out to Mt. Ranier because why the gently caress not?

I'm gonna stay here when my girlfriend comes into town, the rooms are converted train cars and they're really reasonably priced I think ($115-130/night)

Still a ton of snow on the ground up there. Also, just looking at the mountain doesn't really make you understand just how loving HUGE it is. It dominates the skyline from Tacoma, and it's still 50 miles away at that point.

There's still another ten miles up the road to get to the visitor's center at this point.

SNOOOOOW

Visitor's center, finally.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

That first picture is boss as gently caress.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

No joke. gently caress, 14", you're making me really want to get a Setina pushbar for my '01.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

SouthLAnd posted:

That first picture is boss as gently caress.

I like that 14 Inch Private Dick is still running the plates that were on the car when he bought it.

Some pages ago there was talk about chrome grilles/street appearance package. When I lived in NC I distinctly remember all Wake County Sheriff Crown Vics (marked cars) were outfitted with chrome grilles but still had Police Interceptor badging. Always wondered why we had to buy chrome for cop cars, but it seems Wake County wasn't the only jurisdiction that did that.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

two forty posted:

I like that 14 Inch Private Dick is still running the plates that were on the car when he bought it.

I have a temp permit in the rear and no rear plate, my new ones are in the mail supposedly and I was just being lazy in pulling off the voided front plate :geno:

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is officially a bad influence. This is the best panther I could find:

It's a little on the large side, but at least if I bankrupted myself buying it I'd have somewhere to sleep...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I just noticed the subtle humor in having a Red vs. Blue reference in the title of a thread about cop cars.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Measly Twerp posted:

This thread is officially a bad influence. This is the best panther I could find:

It's a little on the large side, but at least if I bankrupted myself buying it I'd have somewhere to sleep...

Good god...you could import one from the US for significantly cheaper. That is a $10,000-12,000 car.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

angryhampster posted:

Good god...you could import one from the US for significantly cheaper. That is a $10,000-12,000 car.

Yeah, I don't know what importing it would cost, but this is just the best of the first page of results around me:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/3633577433.html
http://akroncanton.craigslist.org/cto/3684290509.html

Both appear to be in far better condition at a fraction of the price (looks like USD and AUD are pretty close to parity at the moment). RHD conversion might be a bitch if that's a requirement though.

I'd gladly drive anything from my area out to a west coast port for the cost of fuel though, that could make for an interesting road trip when you have a vehicle you can not only sleep in but stretch out in.

edit: Man it's a good thing I live in an apartment, if I had a place to put a limo there's a chance I'd be making some calls right now.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 1, 2013

mr_bunnyfish
Feb 6, 2012
hello I recently bought a 2002 P71 with 114k for 1700 dollars and I guess where I live I have to wait three days for the title to be Transferred Into The System before I can register it or some bullshit so now my beautiful burnout machine is stuck three hours away at my parents' house and I have to wait until next weekend to drive back down there, register it, and bring it back. i have been extremely buttmad about this situation all week and talking about it makes me feel better

All in all I think i got a good deal on it. The engine runs strong and pulls hard, the brakes and suspension felt like they were in good shape and it shifts just fine. The police department peeled off the part of the side decals that said "Police" and left everything else, so there are incomplete stripes all over the doors. The front grill is chipped and it didn't come with a pushbar, and there is no backseat and no rear door panels. I am extremely pleased with it and I plan to get some new wheels for it (I really want some Cragar D Window wheels but it seems more likely i'll find some Bullitts on craigslist for cheaper) and get new springs and shocks, and lower the front an inch and a half or so. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I have returned it into my posession

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?
Tuffy has a bunch of consoles for the P71, and I believe RAM Mount has a bunch of options also, basically a sheetmetal box with a few storage areas, a laptop/mount tray and a few other bells and whistles, but I think you may end up paying almost as much for that as the car in some cases :v:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Talking with the accessories guy at the local ford dealer yesterday, and he says "We just bought something special, come see."

An 04 Grand Marquis, with 11k on the clock. Apparently it's spent most of its life in the garage, because it looked brand new. Hell, it even smelled brand new inside. Gold metallic, leather and power everything. Still has the window sticker and the a box in the trunk (from Ford) with all the accessories. I was sorely tempted. They have it listed at $10900.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha, even with those miles the price is way too high, but some old guy will buy it because LOW MILES.

Frog Lip
Oct 13, 2002

...armed revolution every 20 years, DUMMY...
Just wanted to drop in, I'm new to the panther club, just bought a 03 Mercury Marauder with 158k on it. To be a 4 door boat, that car really flies.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna have to politely ask for pictures (for my erection).

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Frog Lip posted:

Just wanted to drop in, I'm new to the panther club, just bought a 03 Mercury Marauder with 158k on it. To be a 4 door boat, that car really flies.

Oooooh, Marauder. Make sure to post pictures. I've seen a whopping one running around here and the poor thing is abused, the owner chews tobacco and just spits all over the interior :sigh:

Frog Lip
Oct 13, 2002

...armed revolution every 20 years, DUMMY...

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

I'm gonna have to politely ask for pictures (for my erection).

I'm waiting on having it detailed, the previous owner let his German Shepard ride in it. After that I will post pics.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
OP is updated, and I've put in a request to make the thread title reflect its megathread status a little better if Iowncalculus approves.

ALSO WHERE ARE THE MARAUDER PICTURES

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
I have the opportunity to buy an older generation Mercury Marquee (it may be older than 1993), with a new 302, and rebuilt transmission (all documented) for $1800. It has almost every option for the time. I also know it was a one owner car, and all work that had ever been done to it has supporting documentation. Should I do this?

I don't need another car --AT ALL. My Dad recently died, and I will be inheriting 4-5 more 90's GM's. That is in addition to the 4 cars I already own.

I really kinda want it.
I can afford it.
I really shouldn't buy it.
But I want to......

Oh drat, now I sound like Ultimateforce.....

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

alternate.eago posted:

I can afford it.
But I want to......

I disagree.

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.
Why is that?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I believe he may be referring to the perceived wisdom, as indeed borne out in every 14 INCH PSYLOCIBE DICK DETECTIVE MD thread up until this one, that the purchase price of an older car should be considered nothing more than a downpayment. And that it shall poo poo spiders and disappointment over all that you love and cherish.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I took it as he meant that it wasn't like an ultimateforce project because he COULD afford it :v:

alternate.eago
Jul 19, 2006
Insert randomness here.

InitialDave posted:

I believe he may be referring to the perceived wisdom, as indeed borne out in every 14 INCH PSYLOCIBE DICK DETECTIVE MD thread up until this one, that the purchase price of an older car should be considered nothing more than a downpayment. And that it shall poo poo spiders and disappointment over all that you love and cherish.

That is a very good point. I can see the logic in this post.

But...
I still want the car.

I'm still seriously considering it.

Also, there are not a ton of spiders (that I've seen) like on the west coast. And I like to wage chemical warfare on bugs. They will not win.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So out of curiosity, I looked back for leica's post on axle codes and went out to check mine. Turns out I have the X5 3.27 locker. I'm not sure if I should be stoked or not but drat, that might explain why it's such a hoot to drive in rain and snow :allears:

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

alternate.eago posted:

I have the opportunity to buy an older generation Mercury Marquee (it may be older than 1993), with a new 302, and rebuilt transmission (all documented) for $1800. It has almost every option for the time. I also know it was a one owner car, and all work that had ever been done to it has supporting documentation. Should I do this?

I don't need another car --AT ALL. My Dad recently died, and I will be inheriting 4-5 more 90's GM's. That is in addition to the 4 cars I already own.

I really kinda want it.
I can afford it.
But I want to......

The lo-po 302 is garbage, absolute abject boat anchor garbage...worse than a Chevy 305

Why:
-Garbage internals
-Garbage heads
-Flat tappet lifters when all the HOs had roller
-150HP
-Garbage every thing else

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

14 INCH DETECTIVE posted:

OP is updated, and I've put in a request to make the thread title reflect its megathread status a little better if Iowncalculus approves.

ALSO WHERE ARE THE MARAUDER PICTURES

Thanks, now I can finally talk about "Panzerkampfwagen V Panther"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Lord Gaga posted:

The lo-po 302 is garbage, absolute abject boat anchor garbage...worse than a Chevy 305

Why:
-Garbage internals
-Garbage heads
-150HP

Even the good 302s have issues above 400HP or so with the blocks splitting, don't they?

Either way, yeah, you'd be better off holding out for a 4.6-powered one in good nick -- or, hell, building one of your GM cars. I'm sure one or two of them has a small block or 3.8 V6 tucked under the hood.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cut it out Seattle :psyduck:

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Lord Gaga posted:

Why:
-Garbage internals
-Garbage heads
-150HP

The one thing they have going for them is they are tough, when left stock. I overheated the absolute poo poo out of mine to the point of the engine going into limp mode and eventually shutting down. Couple years and a new radiator later it runs like a top. A really slow top.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
I'm not exactly sure I see the point of complaining about insufficient hot-rod potential for a Mercury Grand Marquis. Drive it like the road sofa it was always intended to be and the engine should be more than sufficient.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Dick Diggler posted:

The one thing they have going for them is they are tough, when left stock. I overheated the absolute poo poo out of mine to the point of the engine going into limp mode and eventually shutting down. Couple years and a new radiator later it runs like a top. A really slow top.

After a few months with a 1980s-era Olds 307, I gained a healthy respect for the lo-po 4.95.0. :colbert:

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
talk me out of buying a 2009 black P71 this week

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hmmm... no.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
You're gonna need to buy aviators and suspenders to go with it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You're gonna need to buy suspenders to go with it.
In Britain, you only need those if you're pretending to be at least a Chief Constable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
You guys are no help, I about to pick one out and put down a deposit. There are 8 to pick from.