Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Speedboat Jones posted:

Here's a little pitch for Athena's Armor Skill app for Windows: If you're not using it, why the hell not? Don't be lazy. Download it. It's fantastic. Barring an incorrect reading, it has seemingly put together an armor set for me that gives Crit Draw, Punish Draw, and Sharpness +1 using a charm I already own. :swoon:

The downside is that in my current efforts to make offensive Sword & Shield armor sets with [element] up and critical eye, Athena's program has decided it really likes the Gobul faulds. My fire set is Silver/Azure Rathalos + Agnaktor plate mail but then also a pretty pink skirt. There is nothing I can do with pigments to make it not look silly.
I still use it because Razor Sharp, Critical Eye 3, and Fire Atk+2 is amazing with the Mirals Sword.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Argas posted:

I'd rather be fashionable than get all the skills I want. :unsmith:

If the Deviljho wrestling belt doesn't go with everything then why am I even playing this game? :colbert:

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Is there a better way to get ice crystals than doing the F. Forest gathering tour? I'm lucky if I get one or two crystals a run.

(I did get a Slime C+ +6 charm, whatever that is.)

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

I'm 99% sure the answer's yes, but regular Jhen Mohran does drop Elder Dragon Blood, right? I'm not minutes away from wasting a shitload of time?

Also, I'd like to go on record as saying I miss having non-large Elder Dragons in the game. Don't really want to do Ceadeus every time I need blood.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a better way to get ice crystals than doing the F. Forest gathering tour? I'm lucky if I get one or two crystals a run.

Go mine in the cave area of Sandy Plains. Or better yet, go mine at the Tundra.

Fungah! posted:

I'm 99% sure the answer's yes, but regular Jhen Mohran does drop Elder Dragon Blood, right? I'm not minutes away from wasting a shitload of time?

Also, I'd like to go on record as saying I miss having non-large Elder Dragons in the game. Don't really want to do Ceadeus every time I need blood.

Yeah, Jhen drops Elder Dragon Blood.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Buy them from the lady with the huge backpack for 600z each

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

gwrtheyrn posted:

This. Sometimes they are on sale for 300z. Also, to clarify, she is in the port area near the top of the steps down to the crafter guy.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Got my first Rustshard! And it was a bone axe. :smithicide:

gwrtheyrn posted:

Oh, nice, I've got more cash than I know what to do with right now.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Evil Mastermind posted:

Got my first Rustshard! And it was a bone axe. :smithicide:

its not a big deal. I get 2-3 per brachydios run when I use the felyne explorer food buff.
The majority of them will not be anything worth keeping.
My first shard was the dragon element hammer, nothing good after that

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Argas posted:

I'd rather be fashionable than get all the skills I want. :unsmith:

I rolled with a red Ludroth armor for all of my Tri experience, with a Jaggi head mask. Stylin'

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, nice, I've got more cash than I know what to do with right now.

Sometimes she doesn't have them, her inventory seems randomised.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jesus, this Duramboros fight is ten pounds of horseshit in a five-pound bag.

e: STOP SPINNING AND CHANGING ZONES, YOU rear end in a top hat! :argh:

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Apr 13, 2013

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jesus, this Duramboros fight is ten pounds of horseshit in a five-pound bag.

e: STOP SPINNING AND CHANGING ZONES, YOU rear end in a top hat! :argh:

The only part about Duramboros that I don't like is that there's no reacting to his headbutt attack when he's in rage mode. Unless you can block or had a big window to get the gently caress out, you pretty much have to eat it.

I really don't get how inconsistent the monsters are. Some you can dance circles around once you know them, others deliberately punish you for doing what you're supposed to do.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 13, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

The only part about Duramboros that I don't like is that there's no reacting to his headbutt attack when he's in rage mode. Unless you can block or had a big window to get the gently caress out, you pretty much have to eat it.
It's not even that, it's the fact that he's a bucket of hit points and the goddamn tail spin.

Forty minutes, a full stack of potions and mega potions, fainted twice and I haven't even got this rear end in a top hat blinking yet. Time to stop before the DS goes through the window.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's not even that, it's the fact that he's a bucket of hit points and the goddamn tail spin.

Forty minutes, a full stack of potions and mega potions, fainted twice and I haven't even got this rear end in a top hat blinking yet. Time to stop before the DS goes through the window.

He does have a metric shitton of health, but 40 minutes? That sounds like your fault not his. On my first try I downed him in 20, same for my first HR duramboros.

Bring a fire weapon, and basically stick to his feet/underbelly unless you feel he's going for a lift-off/headbutt. If you hit him even a little bit while he's doing the big mega tailspin he will fall over and be stunned for like 10 seconds and you can get in a lot of damage on his humps. When he's exhausted he'll pretty much constantly fall over.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Just found this: https://sites.google.com/site/pingsmh3gdex/home and it's totally awesome. An offline database of monsters, quests, carves, etc. It's really well put together.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

He does have a metric shitton of health, but 40 minutes? That sounds like your fault not his. On my first try I downed him in 20, same for my first HR duramboros.

Bring a fire weapon, and basically stick to his feet/underbelly unless you feel he's going for a lift-off/headbutt. If you hit him even a little bit while he's doing the big mega tailspin he will fall over and be stunned for like 10 seconds and you can get in a lot of damage on his humps. When he's exhausted he'll pretty much constantly fall over.

I was using the Chainslaughter, which is Lightning, and this chart said he was weak to it.

Looking at the weapon charts, it looks like I need to grind a bit more to get some better/fire weapons. Now I just have to remember how to fight without Cha-Cha being bait.

e: Thinking now, I did rush...I've only fought Rathian, Lagi, and Gigginox once each. I need to do some grinding.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 13, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to give other weapons credit, especially the lance, but I keep going back to dual blades and hammer. Especially dual blades, I feel so slow without the rapid dodge it's just painful.

Oh well, at least the weapons are balanced enough to allow for favorites, even if getting some tails with dualies is like pulling teeth :v:

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Looking at the DLC, they recently released a challenge quest against Brachydios.
Is this fight significantly harder than the standard Brachydios fight?

I only need to do a couple of quests to finally unlock Brachydios in the village quests, so I want to know if it's faster/easier to just do the arena fight instead.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Cha-Cha surprised me on my first bootup of the 3DS version after transferring my WiiU data with a Brachydios Gem in his inventory. I'm thinking about using it to try out the Dios Bow - coming from all Blademaster gear what HR set (HR4/8* offline) should I shoot for to best use it?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Just a warning, the Brachy bow isn't a particularly wise investment of a gem as the amount of slime it gets isn't anywhere near as high as other, non-brachy weapons can get. The kelbi bow is king of slime (with awakening anyway).

But, if you're set on getting it, you'll probably want focus and bombardier at least. Focus lets you charge your bow faster and bombardier increases the damage that slime does.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignimbrite posted:

Just a warning, the Brachy bow isn't a particularly wise investment of a gem as the amount of slime it gets isn't anywhere near as high as other, non-brachy weapons can get. The kelbi bow is king of slime (with awakening anyway).

But, if you're set on getting it, you'll probably want focus and bombardier at least. Focus lets you charge your bow faster and bombardier increases the damage that slime does.

When is the earliest I can get awakening?
You are totally right that the slime on the brachy bow is weak. It applies maybe every 4th shot

I am using the 2nd kelbi bow and I prefer it to my dios bow just because It can use all the status coatings.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

scissorman posted:

Looking at the DLC, they recently released a challenge quest against Brachydios.
Is this fight significantly harder than the standard Brachydios fight?

I only need to do a couple of quests to finally unlock Brachydios in the village quests, so I want to know if it's faster/easier to just do the arena fight instead.

I thiiiiink the challenge quest is an arena one and you can't keep the loots. I'm not 100%

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
The first armours that have awakening on them are Gigginox X (G rank normal giginox) and Ceadeus X (G rank normal ceadeus armour). In other words: Earlyish G-rank.

Also, the amount of slime that a weapon has doesn't affect how quickly the effect builds up, just how much damage it does when it goes off. If you want slime damage faster, you're going to have to shoot faster (spam the level 1 charge or get an armour set with focus).

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ignimbrite posted:

The first armours that have awakening on them are Gigginox X (G rank normal giginox) and Ceadeus X (G rank normal ceadeus armour). In other words: Earlyish G-rank.

Also, the amount of slime that a weapon has doesn't affect how quickly the effect builds up, just how much damage it does when it goes off. If you want slime damage faster, you're going to have to shoot faster (spam the level 1 charge or get an armour set with focus).

does poison work like that? or does any poisoned status do a set amount no matter how you poisoned them?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Fauxtool posted:

does poison work like that? or does any poisoned status do a set amount no matter how you poisoned them?

Poison works a little differently; You have to inflict a certain amount of poison damage (through your attacks) before the poison status effect will start on the monster. Each monster has a different resistance to poison and will take different amounts of damage from the poisoning and how many hits it takes for the poisoned status effect to take effect. Paralysis and sleep work the same way, but instead of doing damage they either paralyse them or put them to sleep when enough status damage is done. Slime is different since the amount of slime you have on your weapon only affects the amount of damage that the explosions do when they go off According to nahxela, it's actually exactly like how other statuses are applied, a higher slime damage number means more slime is being applied every time the effect goes off. That's good, it simplifies the explanation.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 13, 2013

avlein
Jun 13, 2011

Ignimbrite posted:

Poison works a little differently; You have to inflict a certain amount of poison damage (through your attacks) before the poison status effect will start on the monster. Each monster has a different resistance to poison and will take different amounts of damage from the poisoning and how many hits it takes for the poisoned status effect to take effect. Paralysis and sleep work the same way, but instead of doing damage they either paralyse them or put them to sleep when enough status damage is done. Slime is different since the amount of slime you have on your weapon only affects the amount of damage that the explosions do when they go off.

Slime isn't different. It works the same way as any other status element.

The Laplace Demon
Jul 23, 2009

"Oh dear! Oh dear! Heisenberg is a douche!"

Falcon2001 posted:

I thiiiiink the challenge quest is an arena one and you can't keep the loots. I'm not 100%

Just ran the quest. The rewards are coins, and the equipment is all preset like all the other arena quests.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Just got two Deep Dragongems from one run on Ceadeus.

....What are you planning, game?

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Kooriken posted:

It's a well known fact that any item you don't want is very easy to obtain, but any items you do want are almost impossible to come by. For example when I need to farm 50 iron ore for a gunlance all I got were earth crystals, but when I needed 99 earth crystals to upgrade the ancient shard bowgun I only got iron ore.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I spent an hour trying to farm Isisium from the tundra this morning. Only needed five of the drat things, took me an hour.

On the last one I mined before leaving with #5, I found six in a row. :catstare:

Turned out to be a waste of time, didn't even like using lances after all. Garble wargle. Maybe I'll try gunlance again tomorrow.

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Kooriken posted:

i've been killing Ceadeus all night trying to get loving fur (3 fur in 12+ runs) and i'm currently sitting on a stack of 8+ gems and like 4-5 eld. dragon blood

edit: i just want to complete the set and make a lance you drat monster!! Stop dropping rare poo poo and gimmie the uncommon stuff!

treeboy fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Apr 13, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Nope, can't do it. Can't use anything other than dual blades anymore, everything else is just too slow. Oh well!

A question, is Athena's armor skill thingy meant more to be used for people in G-rank or is there much I can do with it before I've even gotten out of 4*?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hm. Just got my Agnaktor set and a sexy +2 Fire Atk. Now, do I switch to a Flamethrower Gunlance or keep going with the DLC lance? I've mainly been using Lance, so get me hooked on Gunlances thanks.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Shoutout to Ramen, Luceid and Mailer for the MH3U murderfest tonight, I had a killer time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Damnit I lied I'm sticking to gunlance until I properly figure out this sonofabitch. I will not be defeated :mad:

Sure wish you could cancel dodge after taking a shot, though, that really sucks.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I find Gunlance incredibly annoying unless the monster tends to get in my face. When they do come at me, though, they can't touch me, and it's fantastic.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

A question, is Athena's armor skill thingy meant more to be used for people in G-rank or is there much I can do with it before I've even gotten out of 4*?

4* village or 4* port? If you're still in village then 4* is low rank, and everything in low rank is bullshit and you should just pick whatever armor has a neat skill or looks cool and roll with it until high rank. If you're not a MH vet, then I'd spend low rank crafting a variety of weapons trying to find the ones I liked and didn't like to make a more informed decision about what kind of armor I want to make in high rank. Even in high rank though I still wouldn't bend over backwards farming rare poo poo to really min/max, pick a solid set, upgrade the defense, and push to G rank. Most of the really good skills or skill combinations got moved to G rank equipment this time around.

All that said, the program is pretty simple to use. Not like there is a ton of downside to fire it up, do a search, and see what kind of mixed sets it throws back at you. However given where you're at in the game your selection of charms is most likely poo poo, heck if you're still in village low rank you won't even have basic slotted charms yet. It probably won't be able to help you much for a while yet.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Anyone new to the game want to play later on tonight? I'm nearing level 2 in online stuff so I've barely touched it - offline I'm farther but only by a few hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
What's the point of the slickaxe? As far as I can tell all it does is multiply materials you get from mining or bugcatching. I was under the impression that it could also multiply charms during quests, but I guess not.

• Locked thread