Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Taker will probably be the first to retire, so he'll probably be the first to go in.

Although Rey is on the verge of a career-ending injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Cowboy Bobs Hep C posted:

Ten Count Question:

-Triple H
-Macho Man
-The Undertaker
-Rey Mysterio, Jr

Who gets in the WWE Hall of Fame first?

Out of the three currently alive, who retires first?

You mean out of the two currently alive :smug:

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Taker will probably be the first to retire, so he'll probably be the first to go in.

Although Rey is on the verge of a career-ending injury.

Rey has already had a few career ending injuries he just refuses to take a hint

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Taker First. He has the least time left and isn't working behind the scenes.

Toss up between Rey and HHH. HHH may not go in for a while because he doesn't believe his career is over and he's got a bunch of backstage stuff to do. Rey is up in the air because he's smart to the business and knows that a Hall of Fame induction can sometimes come with a legends contract. He'll probably end up working a part time scheduled for AAA for a few years till that dries up and then let Vince induct him.

Macho ain't getting in so long as Vince is alive. Dude was hurt when he left and even more hurt when he found out about the domestic abuse. Yeah, other domestic abusers got in there but I think it hurt Vince on a personal level with Macho. This is just from internet rumours though, barely slightly more validity than the Stephanie rumours.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

They've been reaching out to Lanny Poffo ever since Savage died to get him into the hall of fame, so it's not a lack of interest on the WWE's side, but more Lanny wanting to stand by Randy's hope that their father would be inducted as well.

The Savage/Vince thing is overstated now. In the last few years they've released a macho DVD, had him do publicity for their video games and Vince has written and spoken about him in favourable terms since his death.

Savage is probably a matter of time now.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Savage/Vince thing is overstated now. In the last few years they've released a macho DVD, had him do publicity for their video games and Vince has written and spoken about him in favourable terms since his death.

The DVD had no Savage involvement and no documentary, and the video game was a totally outside deal. It's still a weird situation.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Considering Rey's increasing fragility I honestly think he's gonna retire before Taker. Taker seems to enjoy his current light schedule based around Wrestlemania and I could see him keeping it up for a few more years.

Honky Tonk Man seems a safe bet to inducted next year although he'd obviously be a secondary induction and not a headliner.

Oh, and as far as questions for you guys' podcast:

With the recent discussion of Meltzer's star ratings due to Wrestlemania and the 5 star Tanahashi/Okada match, who do you think is the best worker from the era Meltzer's covered (1983-present) who's never received recognition for a five star match, and what match if any of their career do you think deserved to be awarded 5 stars that Meltzer rated lower?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Apr 12, 2013

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

The DVD had no Savage involvement and no documentary, and the video game was a totally outside deal. It's still a weird situation.

I think he had to sign a legends deal or something for his likeness to appear only recently with action figures and multiple video games.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

KungFu Grip posted:

I think he had to sign a legends deal or something for his likeness to appear only recently with action figures and multiple video games.

His deal was with Mattel, not WWE

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

He signed deals with the companies directly, not with WWE.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

Thauros posted:

With the recent discussion of Meltzer's star ratings due to Wrestlemania and the 5 star Tanahashi/Okada match, who do you think is the best worker from the era Meltzer's covered (1983-present) who's never received recognition for a five star match, and what match if any of their career do you think deserved to be awarded 5 stars that Meltzer rated lower?

Bryan Danielson. Probably most of his matches with Nigel. The first Morishima match too. Also, just a lot of his RoH matches.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Bard Maddox posted:

Bryan Danielson. Probably most of his matches with Nigel. The first Morishima match too. Also, just a lot of his RoH matches.

...I was sure he had at least one.

Yeah, in that case, Bryan is definitely overlooked.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kurt Angle is the other obvious one. There were people mad Dave snubbed the Mania match with Shawn and the Rumble match with Benoit.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
New Mick Foley interview is worth listening to get some insight on SMS and the Hall of Fame. Free, too!

Apocalypso
Oct 31, 2004

HELP ME MIKE
Does Chris Jericho have mild pectus excavatum? Watching Smackdown at the moment and it looks a bit like it to my eyes. But it is a Friday night and I'm having trouble keeping them open even.

Have there been any demographic data released about LGBT wrestling fans?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Kurt Angle is the other obvious one. There were people mad Dave snubbed the Mania match with Shawn and the Rumble match with Benoit.

Angle was who I was thinking of because I honestly assumed Dave rated at least one Danielson match 5 stars. I guess looking at the list again his indie prime mostly corresponded with that 5 year period Dave was very stingy with handing out that final fraction of a star.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
A lot matches people thought should be ***** were always ****3/4 (and I don't mean random Elimination Chamber matches or w/e). I never knew how to interpret it.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Dave is basically unwilling to give a "normal" WWE main event style match more than ****3/4 despite, in my opinion, generally overrating the entire genre, so there's a ton of ****3/4 Meltzer WWE matches between the ones that were consensus ***** elsewhere and the ones that were consensus ****-****1/2 and Dave was higher than the crowd on. It's a strange idiosyncrasy.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HBK-Taker 1 should've been *****.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jeffersonlives posted:

Dave is basically unwilling to give a "normal" WWE main event style match more than ****3/4 despite, in my opinion, generally overrating the entire genre, so there's a ton of ****3/4 Meltzer WWE matches between the ones that were consensus ***** elsewhere and the ones that were consensus ****-****1/2 and Dave was higher than the crowd on. It's a strange idiosyncrasy.
I think he's more likely to push for that extra fraction if the result is surprising (imagine if HBK had won) or important (like a title switch).

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Apocalypso posted:

Does Chris Jericho have mild pectus excavatum? Watching Smackdown at the moment and it looks a bit like it to my eyes. But it is a Friday night and I'm having trouble keeping them open even.

I dont think so, but wrestler Alex Riley has it.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

wrestler Alex Riley

Let's not get ahead of ourselves

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

sportsgenius86 posted:

I'm really not one to whine about Dave's star ratings, and when this one came out there was a lot of ridiculous fervor over it but now that it's died down a bit I have to say yeah that's about as good as a "WWE style" match can possibly be.

But whatever. At the end of the day it's Dave's newsletter and he can rate the matches however he wants.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, I always seem to differ by a quarter of a star or so from Meltzer, but I can't think of any particular WWE match that should have been five stars, considering the bench mark is Brett/Austin or Cena/Punk. That's a pretty high bar that hasn't often been met.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Outside of HBK/Taker the only other match I thought Dave would have given a 5 to was the Triple Threat at WM 20.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

sportsgenius86 posted:

Shawn said in Steve Austin's recent podcast interview with him that he wanted to retire after that match, because driving back to San Antonio from the show he told his wife it was perfect and he didn't know how he could do any better.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nah, the Ground Zero match wasn't much. HBK-Taker 2 really was *****.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two of the Curtain Jerkers went to Mania, and told their stories on this week's SNCJ.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Bryan: Are you a Beatles fan?

Dave: I....I guess? I don't know.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I don't think Taker and HBK ever had a bad match, honestly. Which is impressive.

Euthyphro
Mar 14, 2004

Soy un águila de verdad.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I don't think Taker and HBK ever had a bad match, honestly. Which is impressive.

The more incredible thing to me is that for as long as they were in WWF/WWE together - most of it during the era of overexposure and hotshotting - that they only had five singles matches, all major PPV matches, plus a handful of tags and battle royals.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

The more incredible thing to me is that for as long as they were in WWF/WWE together - most of it during the era of overexposure and hotshotting - that they only had five singles matches, all major PPV matches, plus a handful of tags and battle royals.

The time from before Shawn's injury was probably because they didn't want to work together

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Or, more specifically, UT didn't want anything to do with Shawn. Whether the taped fists story is apocryphal or not, the fact Taker never did anything to disabuse people of the notion is somewhat telling.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think it's that, because they did work an extended program from SummerSlam 97 to Royal Rumble 98, and from 95-97 they were both on the face side in a period where WWF almost never did face vs. face. It's strange that they never worked together from 92-95, a period that predates Shawn's extreme behavioral issues when Shawn was an upper card heel and Taker was an upper card face, and it's really strange that WWE didn't go to the singles match well between them at any point between 2002 and 2009, even though they worked tag matches and Royal Rumble sequences against each other that both got over huge.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Cowboy Bobs Hep C posted:

Ten Count Question:

-Triple H
-Macho Man
-The Undertaker
-Rey Mysterio, Jr

Who gets in the WWE Hall of Fame first?

Out of the three currently alive, who retires first?

What was you name before, because I'm dying of laughter right now.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

What was you name before, because I'm dying of laughter right now.

That's was Slapnuts, Jelq The Sanem, and OUR HEAVENLY CHAMP all rolled into one

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Hope you like digressions; this week, we couldn't keep on topic for the life of us. There was plenty of good stuff, though!

Topics:
1. WRESTLER OF THE WEEK: Larry Sweeney
2. How great is Brock Lesnar? Very. How dumb is a steel cage match for his feud with Triple H? Very.
3. Why does WWE seemingly hate Antonio Cesaro? He's awesome. They're dumb.
4. Was "Fandangoing" really a thing?
5. Which of these four wrestlers (Triple H, Undertaker, Rey Mysterio, Randy Savage) will get into the WWE Hall of Fame first? Of the three currently living, which will retire first?
6. FEUD OF THE WEEK: Steve Blackman vs. Shane McMahon
7. Is John Cena WWE's top heel?
8. Having unlimited funds and complete creative control, how would you save/rebuild the WWE women's division?
9. What wrestler/wrestling figure do you most associate with their current company, to the point where you can't see them working anywhere else?
10. Pandering! The Ten Count is now available on iTunes, and we have a blog, a Twitter account, and an email address! (I promise this is the only time I'll do this.)

This has been a really big week for the podcast. We're on iTunes! We have a blog! We have a Twitter! I am excited!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dave Meltzer said The Rock is faking his injury! :supaburn:

Seriously though, that was one of the best WOR's they've done in ages. When's the last time they were both in on a bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

This cracked me up.

As did Dave's attempt to mention the events in Boston. "That was a shame... and I watched the Hall of Fame last night." The Davest Dave to have ever Daved.

• Locked thread