Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

Hey guys. My apartment has those really slippery fake hardwood floors, so the stock wheels on any desk chair go crazy and make the chair unstable and uncomfortable. Is there some special casters or mat I should buy for this issue?

Put down a small rug under your chair. Hard floors suck for office chairs even with rubber casters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Put down a small rug under your chair. Hard floors suck for office chairs even with rubber casters.

I'll do that, thanks. It looks like those rubber casters cost more than a cheap area rug anyway.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It'll protect your floor from getting all scratched up too.

I like the hard-plastic floor mats for my desk. But that just because I don't like cleaning a rug of cat hair that's been ground into it by the wheels.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Gounads posted:

I like the hard-plastic floor mats for my desk. But that just because I don't like cleaning a rug of cat hair that's been ground into it by the wheels.
Never, ever use those floor mats on carpet. I used to work carpet cleaning, and the little plastic spikes eventually wear down and break off, embedding themselves into the carpet forever. If you want to protect the carpet from your chair, just put a cheap rub on top of the carpet.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
Jute rugs do a really good job at protecting carpets from furniture depressions and the like.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

http://www.sit4less.com/products/Office-star/Space-55403-executive-chair/138

What do you guys think of this? I say in one for a few minutes at my physical therapist's office (having some shoulder things that are finally clearing up) and it seemed comfortable enough. Has lots of adjustables and 300 bucks is much nicer than 800.

sports
Sep 1, 2012
You're in St. Louis, right? Wait till Wash U's semester ends and score a chair off of a student trying to get rid of it.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Never, ever use those floor mats on carpet. I used to work carpet cleaning, and the little plastic spikes eventually wear down and break off, embedding themselves into the carpet forever. If you want to protect the carpet from your chair, just put a cheap rub on top of the carpet.

I've got one of the plastic mats with a smooth bottom on hardwood.

Got to make sure to clean under it monthly or so, or you get some dirt that can scratch, but otherwise been happy with it.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Saxophone posted:

http://www.sit4less.com/products/Office-star/Space-55403-executive-chair/138

What do you guys think of this? I say in one for a few minutes at my physical therapist's office (having some shoulder things that are finally clearing up) and it seemed comfortable enough. Has lots of adjustables and 300 bucks is much nicer than 800.

Not sure about the chair, but I would not recommend purchasing it from Sit4Less. While I did get my chair in a reasonable amount of time and I was happy with the end product, their customer support is completely abysmal. You'll have no idea where your order is until it lands on your doorstep, and I can't even imagine the nightmare involved with trying to return a product should something go wrong.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Sackmo posted:

Not sure about the chair, but I would not recommend purchasing it from Sit4Less. While I did get my chair in a reasonable amount of time and I was happy with the end product, their customer support is completely abysmal. You'll have no idea where your order is until it lands on your doorstep, and I can't even imagine the nightmare involved with trying to return a product should something go wrong.

To be fair to them, they don't know where the order is because they submit it to the manufacturer and then it's out of their hands. Herman Miller, in my case, shipped direct to my house, and the one time I had to file a warranty claim, it was directly with Herman Miller - Sit4Less wasn't involved at all.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Mierdaan posted:

To be fair to them, they don't know where the order is because they submit it to the manufacturer and then it's out of their hands. Herman Miller, in my case, shipped direct to my house, and the one time I had to file a warranty claim, it was directly with Herman Miller - Sit4Less wasn't involved at all.

Yes, I realized this when I noticed the shipping label on the chair. However, I didn't think that my completely stock Leap would be considered a special order, so I emailed them after a couple of weeks. Instead of telling me anything useful they just gave me the runaround until the chair finally arrived. All they had to do was tell me that they had submitted the order to Steelcase and I would have been happy, but they couldn't even do that.

Also of note is that they don't send any sort of tracking info even when the order ships directly from their warehouse. You also can't track your order from their site. Which is pretty :psyduck: for a web-based business.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
I live in Omaha and there's fuckall when it comes to Herman Miller or Steelcase showrooms, so I'm mainly guessing on this one. I found a place that is selling a Steelcase Leap (I think v2) for $650, but it states that it is "Upholstered." Is the upholstering a big deal? I know $650 isn't too great for a Leap but it's slim pickins around here and I don't feel like blindly buying a $500+ chair online without having sat in it first.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

All chairs are upholstered, unless they have mesh backs and seats (like the Aeron). It's like saying a chair has a seat. Of course it does, it's a chair - it's a standard thing, not an upgraded feature.

What is it upholstered IN? Fabric? Vinyl? Leather? That's the important part.

Bazanga
Oct 10, 2006
chinchilla farmer
The chair is fabric, but none of the other fabric chairs have anything listed about them being "Upholstered," which made me think that it may mean that it has recently been reupholstered as a repair or something.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
Does Herman Miller always have a 15% sale in May or June? I have my eye on an Envelop desk

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Can somebody help me ID this chair? I want one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
After spending the past week sitting in an Aeron again, I kind of wish we had taken some of them after we moved to a new location.

fatman1683
Jan 8, 2004

MancXVI posted:

Can somebody help me ID this chair? I want one.

Looks like it might be a knockoff of the Ergohuman.

beze
Sep 7, 2005

Now! With 25% More Stupid!
Does anyone have any experience with the Space Chair? I've been looking at getting one.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Both the chairs just posted by beze and MancXVI look like junky knockoffs of other chairs. I'd shop around a lot more before getting those.

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
Went to a local store that carried both Herman Miller and Steelcase. I honestly did not like the Aeron at all which was surprising given its reputation and reviews everywhere. I felt the Leap was by far more comfortable and supportive for me. Then I asked about pricing :)

He was trying to get me to take a floor model with a 20% discount off their price. Still came to almost $870. Cheapest I've been able to find one online is around $645 (new). Anyone able to find a price beating that? Still very weary about spending so much money on something I sit in.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

poxin posted:

Went to a local store that carried both Herman Miller and Steelcase. I honestly did not like the Aeron at all which was surprising given its reputation and reviews everywhere. I felt the Leap was by far more comfortable and supportive for me. Then I asked about pricing :)
The Aeron is an outdated design that sells on name recognition alone. Most people who swear by it do so because they don't know any better and haven't ever tried out a good ergonomic chair. I talk with ergonomists daily and every single one of them hates the Aeron with a passion.

Fun fact: the Aeron wasn't designed to be a desk chair - it was meant to be a conference room chair. People liked how it looked and started using it at their desks.

The Leap is a bit overpriced, yes. Depending on where you live, though, it might be the only option. Resources for ergonomic chairs really suck in general unless you work for a corporation that can afford a decent ergonomist and a bunch of demo chairs.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I actually find a lot of the big box store chairs anywhere from $80-$200 to be quite comfortable, but wtf is up with the arms? All the fixed arms seem to be made for people who are 6ft+. They make adjustable arm chairs, but they usually only go upwards from there, which is great...if bloody Lou Ferrigno needs a chair. It seems that half the population is up poo poo dick without a paddle for an office chair with arms or they just deal with the perpetual shrug they're put in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm still sitting in this piece of poo poo and the arms are just where I want them.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I'm still sitting in this piece of poo poo and the arms are just where I want them.

Those look like the standard 8-9 inch arms that most chairs have. Your body is likely existing right in big chair's wheelhouse.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How small are you? I'm 5'9. In the steelcase Think I sit in at work, I have the arm rests pulled all the way up and that's just the right height for me not to have my arms sag down.

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
I'm the same height, though I'm disproportionately more leg than torso. When I try those 8-9 inch armrest chairs, they shrug (and by extension, strain) my shoulders.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat
I found a used Leap in good condition for $275 today. First impressions are good; it blows away any chairs I've tried that cost that much new.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
If anyone is interesting in picking up any Herman Miller product, such as the Mirra (lol), Aeron (1994 lol), or the one true chair, the Herman Miller "Embody" Total Office Ergonomic Seating Solution, the semi-annual Herman Miller sale is going on right now until June 10. 15% off everything, with most retailers offering free shipping too.

Get an Embody.

johnnyXcrane
Aug 16, 2011
Okay gently caress it. I have a Herman Miller Mirra since 1 year and it kills my thighs. And i'm not the only one with that problem if i google the problem.
I really need a different chair.
You guys think the Leap is a good option for me? I can't try it out before ordering..

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

johnnyXcrane posted:

Okay gently caress it. I have a Herman Miller Mirra since 1 year and it kills my thighs. And i'm not the only one with that problem if i google the problem.
I really need a different chair.
You guys think the Leap is a good option for me? I can't try it out before ordering..
That can be an issue with the hardness of the front edge of the Mirra. Try these first:

- Check your seat depth. You should only be able to fit 2 fingers between the back of your legs and the front seat edge.
- If the Mirra seat can tilt forward (it's been a while since I tried one, I can't remember if it can) try that. Try a few different degrees of forward tilt to see if it reduces the issue.
- Your seat height may be too high. Try lowering it - if that puts your desk up too high, get a footrest.

Basically you want to try and relieve the pressure on your thighs. If that doesn't work the Leap may be better, as it has cushion instead of the mesh seat of the Mirra. I don't have enough experience specifically with those chairs to say for certain unfortunately, since they're our company's competitors.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Home.Woot has the Herman Miller Aeron in size medium for $700 right now. It may not last long because its a woot off but there you go.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Hmm, looks tempting but $700 is quite a bit without sitting in it, plus I might be wiser to spend that cash on a Leap instead. Still seems a bit cheaper than other places I've seen new Aeron chairs though.

My old Office Master BC85 seems like it just died -- the tension control knob no longer catches when I try to adjust it clockwise, so basically there is no resistance to tilt back now. I can't figure out how to repair it, and after 7 years it's probably time for a new chair. I'm a couple hours from a showroom otherwise I would have tried them all out.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Malcolm posted:

My old Office Master BC85 seems like it just died -- the tension control knob no longer catches when I try to adjust it clockwise, so basically there is no resistance to tilt back now. I can't figure out how to repair it, and after 7 years it's probably time for a new chair. I'm a couple hours from a showroom otherwise I would have tried them all out.
Oh hey, that's the chair brand I work for!

And... Yeah. There's basically nothing you can do to repair that, except replacing the control mechanism entirely. The chair is past its 7-year lifespan.

BCs are decent enough budget chairs, but if you like Office Master, check out the PT series instead. It'll be roughly double the price, but they last 12 years and are comfortable and adjustable as hell.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Cool, thanks for the tip. It was a good sit and I'd check out the brand again.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Is there a good, relatively inexpensive office chair that doesn't have wheels?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanatosian posted:

Is there a good, relatively inexpensive office chair that doesn't have wheels?

Most office chair manufacturers offer a variety of casters, including glides. Call around to some furniture dealers/warehouses and ask what you can get with glides.

You also may be able to retrofit an existing office chair with glides. They're pretty universal.

Shugotenshi
Jun 21, 2013
My job requires being seated for twelve to thirteen hours a day, with frequent breaks as needed. The team was initially given standard crap office chairs that were extremely uncomfortable. Our boss, bless her endless harassment of facilities, acquired a set of Steelcase chairs that are absolutely solid. I don’t remember the exact model on the tags, but looking at the Steelcase site they are most likely the “Amia” model.

To give you an idea of how good these chairs are, my team does 24/7 operations monitoring and has someone in the office at all times. Every one of our chairs has someone on it, more or less, for twelve hours a day over the past three years. We have enough chairs for the day and night shift to have their own but I am positive they could stand being used for literally years on end non stop. Not that you would want to.

Since I am too cheap to spend $500 plus on a chair I use a basic Office Max leather chair. Although ironically I bought that chair after having my previous Office Max chair break on me. Maybe in the long run I would have been better off investing in a more expensive, but higher quality chair.

Once this one inevitably breaks I may just buy a professional chair. The price tag is not attractive but maybe viewing it as an investment is the best idea.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you view it as an investment in the health of your spine it's a lot easier to justify it to yourself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kes
Jan 4, 2006
Just bought my Embody with the fabric upgrade for $1050 after tax. That's a crazy good price, right?