Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Gentleman isn't nearly as catchy as Gangnam Style, which is a pity. The song's still gonna get tons of youtube hits of course, but unless he gets his english debut out soon and it's good, he'll probably lose international visibility pretty quickly (of course, no doubt he and his agents know that already and have plans to counter that). Still, nice to see all the celeb cameos at least, although I couldn't actually name anyone except the IC guys, simply because I don't follow the Korean entertainment industry at all beyond IC/RM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I think the song Psy released right after Gangnam style was better than this by a mile.

Right Now (actual song starts about 45 seconds in). It's a real get up and run around song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHdefsaL6I

jsun
Jun 23, 2004

I've brought you some cake and wine
Being from California, the "WET PSY!" gag made me crack up. The song itself is okay. Beat seems a bit too simplistic though.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

That M/V rules.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
The song and video are okay, but the dance is exactly like BEG's 'Abracadabra'. I mean I know she's the girl in the MV, but was that really a good idea, given how instrumental Gangnam Style's dance was to its success?

Fuoco
Jan 3, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think the song Psy released right after Gangnam style was better than this by a mile.

Right Now (actual song starts about 45 seconds in). It's a real get up and run around song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmHdefsaL6I

I love Right Now. It just kicks so much arse. But to be pedantic, it came out in 2010, not after Gangnam Style.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Gentlemen is received by Psy's Western audience from here. Considering I didn't really think Gangnam Style (as a song) was all that hot, it'll be difficult for me to predict how it'll go down.

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:

qbert posted:

The song and video are okay, but the dance is exactly like BEG's 'Abracadabra'. I mean I know she's the girl in the MV, but was that really a good idea, given how instrumental Gangnam Style's dance was to its success?

The way I see it, this is a response to the expectation that there will be a followup to Gangnam Style dance. The Abracadabra hip dance is sometimes called the Arrogance Dance. The MV is about Psy being an arrogant bastard. Therefore, the most arrogant bastardy thing to do is to use someone else's arrogance dance.

Merope
Apr 19, 2010

Smurf it up
^^ That makes a lot of sense!

I really like Psy's voice, my favourite songs of his are 'Tree Frog' and 'We are the one'. I wish I could hear him singing more rock.

G-dragon's new video is pretty fun. That doll/robot girl dance was pretty cool, I wonder if she's a random dancer or someone known.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Merope posted:

^^ That makes a lot of sense!

I really like Psy's voice, my favourite songs of his are 'Tree Frog' and 'We are the one'. I wish I could hear him singing more rock.

G-dragon's new video is pretty fun. That doll/robot girl dance was pretty cool, I wonder if she's a random dancer or someone known.

If you're talking about the girl he's with around 2:15, that's gagwoman Ahn Young Mi.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم
Barefoot Friends is seriously close to a Running Man clone

Nexal
Apr 21, 2010

Moby - Extreme ways

T. Finninho posted:

Barefoot Friends is seriously close to a Running Man clone

I felt so aswell after watching first episode.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

i dont live to live homie

Just looked that show up. Worth checking out?

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Just watched episode one, it's kind of a cross between Running Man and Family Outing. It was ok, nothing spectacular, I'll give it a few more episodes to decide.

Kang Ho-dong annoyed me more than anything.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Where are you guys watching it?

In other news, I think we have our first Korean variety show on Hulu. We Got Married (Global) has been added. :aaa:

Bankok
Sep 10, 2004

SPARTA!!!
Dramafever has Barefoot Friends.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

Just watched it, too. Reminds me of Heroes, along with RM/FO. I liked it, seems like it could be an interesting show.

It's great to see Jong-Shin again. He was always awesome on FO. This is my first Kang Ho-dong show as well!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bankok posted:

Dramafever has Barefoot Friends.

KShownow has it as well. Think I'll check it out now.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Watched it. I definitely got more of a Heroes vibe from it instead of a Running Man vibe. In fact, I failed to make any connection to Running Man at all.

It wasn't bad, but I wasn't a fan of the "get a group of people together, talk about forming a bond among them, then split them into two groups and separate them by a hundreds of miles and have two separate stories going on" thing they have going on. Makes it really hard to have a solid narrative going on, and you saw as much when they simply dropped Ho-Dong's group and ended up following Jong Shin's for the rest of the episode (and then you're missing half the cast). Would rather see everyone together.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

RM and IC are more than enough variety for me. :v: Speaking of IC, I just finished the telepathy special and it started off great, but man the whole "we should do telepathy!" thing really got on my nerves at the end. I honestly was expecting so much more, a pretty big let down. However I did catch the 300 ep special and it's these eps that I feel that IC shines at. The ones where they just sit around and talk/goof off, IC is a great show once you get past the "learning curve". The utter lack of reliable subs doesn't help either, I can't believe neither kshow nor DF pick it up. Instead they sub garbage idol shows. :(

Amusingly, the start of the telepathy special is the exact episode where the IC members give HaHa poo poo for having a crush on Ji Hyo, I believe this coincides right around when RM first started?

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

I tried to watch Barefoot Friends and there were just so many long segments of rambling to fill the uncomfortable silence. I got to the middle where they spent at least 5 minutes straight talking about how red the desert sand was and complaining about the sky cam and I could not take it anymore. Maybe it'll get good once they get to know each other?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Corn Thongs posted:

I tried to watch Barefoot Friends and there were just so many long segments of rambling to fill the uncomfortable silence. I got to the middle where they spent at least 5 minutes straight talking about how red the desert sand was and complaining about the sky cam and I could not take it anymore. Maybe it'll get good once they get to know each other?

I thought that part was pretty funny. They kept trolling them with the skycam and blowing the sand in their faces. And Kang Ho-Dong going off about doing a big dramatic thing with the crew circling around them, and then the crew just tripping in the sand and falling on top of one another was just good fun.

It IS a rough start, and I did say I didn't like how they separated the cast, but I think there might be something there and am curious to see where it goes.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

KAng ho dong sucks. He is not entertaining he is just a fat man who is unfunny.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
4Minute's new MV is out. It's pretty good, but holy poo poo does it remind me of the 'I Got A Boy' MV. Especially the first half.
But then zombies, so yeah, comparisons stop pretty quick.

Corn Thongs
Feb 13, 2004

doomisland posted:

KAng ho dong sucks. He is not entertaining he is just a fat man who is unfunny.

This is basically how I felt when I watched it. I am spoiled being a fan of Running Man and seeing the premiere MC on it though I guess.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
People like Kang Ho-Dong and Noh Hong Chul are not for everyone, because of their big personalities and commanding presences, but I would never say they suck. There's a reason why Kang Ho-Dong is (was?) one of the most popular MCs in Korea.

T-ara's sub-unit, T-ara N4, released their debut single and video. I don't know what to think of the song, because instead of paying attention to the music, I just kept thinking about how much I missed Invincible Youth 1.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
Noh Hong Chul gets easier over time. He'll be incredibly loud and obnoxious at the start of a series to keep the energy up and people moving about, but he calms down once people get comfortable and can really knock things out of the park.

I like to think of him as Korea's Brian Blessed. It helps.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Yeah, I find Hong Chul (and Haha in Running Man, not so much IC) is the kind of character that can be annoying before everyone gets comfortable with the dynamics of a show, and even after that if it's the first time you see them (The first IC episode I watched must have been around 140 or so, and HC still grated), but once you actually get to see the group dynamics and become invested in the show they start to fit in more. Haha used to be my least favorite person in RM by far, but nowadays I don't really have anything against him.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
SECRET's new MV was released. Seems like they went back to a cuter concept like Shy Boy and Starlight Moonlight. The song's not immediately catchy like their other ones at first, but I like it.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

Anyone else watch the second episode of Barefoot Friends? I think it's going to be a pretty fun show. The cast seem comfortable with each other already, and the tasks were fun and interesting.

Daebaksubs are subbing it. I'd recommend them over Kshow.

GenghisTron fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 30, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

GenghisTron posted:

Anyone else watch the second episode of Barefoot Friends? I think it's going to be a pretty fun show. The cast seem comfortable with each other already, and the tasks were fun and interesting.

Daebaksubs are subbing it. I'd recommend them over Kshow.

My biggest problem with the first episode was how they tease an ensemble cast, and then split them apart. Then by the end of this second episode, we're splitting the cast up even more, and we're following just Hyun Joong and Ho-Dong. It's so strange to me.

I really want to see everyone together, doing everything. Instead we get these chapters and sub-chapters that not everyone is a part of, which hurts the chemistry of the cast and the flow of the show. But these are thoughts and feelings that come up after I'm done watching the show, because DURING the show, I'm very much entertained and not thinking about it. We'll have to see how long that holds up, or where the show goes from here.

Fight! For your kite!
Jul 29, 2008
Took me awhile to realize that you guys were watching KHD's other new variety.

Selane
May 19, 2006

As a heads up, KBS World is starting to upload Invincible Youth 1 with English subs to their Youtube channel, so check it out if you haven't already(blasphemy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwSIm4a2pY

edit: also Tiffany's gonna be throwing the first pitch at a Dodgers game, hopefully she doesn't follow in Jessica's footsteps

Selane fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 4, 2013

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Selane posted:

As a heads up, KBS World is starting to upload Invincible Youth 1 with English subs to their Youtube channel, so check it out if you haven't already(blasphemy).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmwSIm4a2pY

I was hoping they would be putting up cleaned-up versions of the episodes with new subtitles, but they're the same versions from when the show was first broadcast. Not the worst thing if you can't find a better alternative, except we HAVE a better alternative for most of the show's run. It's also interlaced for some strange reason, so watching it in fullscreen or on the TV is extremely unpleasant.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

Selane posted:

also Tiffany's gonna be throwing the first pitch at a Dodgers game, hopefully she doesn't follow in Jessica's footsteps

I fully expect her to uphold the proud tradition of Korean female celebrities throwing baseballs and spike it straight into the ground.

Well, except for Hong Su-ah

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 5, 2013

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Update: Yuri is still the only member of SNSD who can throw.

https://vine.co/v/b2eU6F6Mgjv

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

As a resident of SF, I admit I would take LA's Tiffany over SF's Jessica. I think Yuri is the only member of SNSD that works out, coincidence? Probably not. :v:

IMAGremlin
Jun 17, 2005
It looks like https://ithetimes.wordpress.com/ and http://www.daebaksubs.com/ got shut down.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Wow wtf, how is kshow still up then? That's pretty lame, daebak subs was pretty much the only place that would upload the DDD subs Infinity Challenges eps for streaming.

GenghisTron
Dec 5, 2005

gently caress. I saw about Daebak yesterday but ithetimes too? Now where am I going to watch the rest of Oh My School for Simon D antics!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

GenghisTron posted:

gently caress. I saw about Daebak yesterday but ithetimes too? Now where am I going to watch the rest of Oh My School for Simon D antics!?

drat it, I was just starting Oh! My School after being introduced to Simon D from Running Man! Invincible Youth was hosted on ithetimes too...

I assume it's on Dailymotion somewhere though.

• Locked thread