Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

zylche posted:

This is better than I could ever hope for. :allears:

The only thing that could make it better would be comic sans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Bibi does not approve, Julie

"This is a bomb."

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

miscellaneous14 posted:

How are they even going to be able to ship out units for retail if they can't even get the backer consoles out before then?
I'm sure they'll be able to ship more than enough retail units to meet demand.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

DoctorStrangelove posted:

"This is a bomb."

Don't you mean this is a bong?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Hatbox Ghost posted:

The only thing that could make it better would be comic sans.

You should've seen the chart for us $1337 early backers!

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
I can't believe Uhrman was stupid enough to put the wrong title when that's clearly the console market share graph.

AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

zylche posted:

This is better than I could ever hope for. :allears:

By 25 May all early-backer OUYAs will be shipped. By 18 July, consoles will be available to purchase online. 24 August, retail presence. 12 September, OUYAs will arrive on doorsteps to the surprise of people who didn't order them. 8 October, every house will have two. 4 December, the sheer volume of OUYAs in the world makes them cheaper than bricks to build with. By early 2014, everything will be made of OUYAs. Everything is OUYAs. We will live in OUYA houses, drive OUYA cars on OUYA roads and eat powdered OUYAs with our metal teeth.

Such is the pace of OUYA. We follow neither organic nor synthetic time, but OUYA time. Wir wissen die Zeit nicht von Uhren, aber Uhrman.

God help us all.

AveMachina fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 13, 2013

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

It's still looking like many of the units out there that didn't go into the hands bloggers have gone to people in California. Two people on the Reddit Ouya board who say theirs are on the way have wildly differing backer numbers (one 2000, one 32,000), but they are both in or near Compton.

Are shipping costs between US states much higher than shipping within? Could they be so short on cash they're just sending what hardware they have already to the backers who are closest to their office?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Jr. posted:

By 25 May all early-backer OUYAs will be shipped. By 18 July, consoles will be available to purchase online. 24 August, retail presence. 12 September, OUYAs will arrive on doorsteps to the surprise of people who didn't order them. 8 October, every house will have two. 4 December, the sheer volume of OUYAs in the world makes them cheaper than bricks to build with. By early 2014, everything will be made of OUYAs. Everything is OUYAs. We will live in OUYA houses, drive OUYA cars on OUYA roads and eat powdered OUYAs with our metal teeth.

Such is the pace of OUYA. We follow neither organic nor synthetic time, but OUYA time. Wir wissen die Zeit nicht von Uhren, aber Uhrman.

God help us all.

At first they came for the backers and I said nothing, for i did not kickstart.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

THIS SUMMER

From the marketing team that brought you the Ouya

Comes a graph

that goes up

and then up even faster.

Julie Uhrman and the angry 66,000 kickstarter backers star in Point Break 2: The Breaking Point

This film has not been rated. Critics will receive their copy of the reviewable film after a George Lucas-esque remastering in 6 years.

Madcosby fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 13, 2013

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Are shipping costs between US states much higher than shipping within? Could they be so short on cash they're just sending what hardware they have already to the backers who are closest to their office?

Almost never. Once you are in the continental 48 states, it's pretty much the same price to ship anywhere. Cost tends to be more related to weight and speed. Next day shipping can get crazy expensive.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Well if they're trying to get it out ASAP and they based in that area, that might be why.

I don't live in the US, but I do handle the shipping of export containers to the US from Australia, and the west coast is about $2000 (cost's $3,000 WC, $5,000 EC) USD cheaper per 20' container, and we ship approx 15-20 20' containers a week to the US, so we have some decent volume to keep those rates down. Even though I doubt they're shipping container loads, it gives an idea of the difference in shipping from China to each coast and I imagine it would be a similar story for airfreights.

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic
Even if air freight cost about the same to ship to both Boston and Los Angeles, it's still cheaper and faster to ship a whole bunch to one specific airport than to spread them throughout the US randomly, and easier to sort by location as well. Going by backer number just seems like a foolish idea in the numbers they need to ship, and that claim was probably made without talking to the shipping company.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
In the grand scheme of things domestic logistics should be nothing but a trivial cost. That's what makes the localised distribution weird. It shouldn't be a hassle, or significant cost, for them to send out units based on backer number, the fact that they aren't is weird and possibly a sign of things to come.

EDIT: When I talked about WC/EC in my previous post, I was comparing LAX to Philly. LAX is a a giant hub and the rates to LAX are the cheapest East Coast rates we get for both sea and air freight. Just FYI.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 13, 2013

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Most Posts/Day in the Games subforum

:allears:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Is there any proof that they have made agreements with retailers to have this on store shelves? Julie said back in February that they were going to be in Best Buy and Gamestop, as well as Amazon...but that was the same time she said backers would have theirs in March. Have the stores themselves confirmed anything?

Can't see it going down well in the UK at least, even if they had enough units for retail who the hell would carry it other than Amazon? Our high streets are hosed right now, and aside from the big out of town stores, the places like Game and HMV that would normally sell consoles aren't likely to be taking those kinds of risks when they're all having to be rescued from bankruptcy.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I have no idea about other retailers but I do remember one or two ads for it on Amazon a few months ago.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
This thread moves crazy fast and I didn't bookmark it..could someone link to MKPants page purty please? N/m, I googled better this time.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 13, 2013

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

That's not a OUYA graph, sir. His feet are literally not on the ground.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
I made a chart too.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

O Hanraha-hanrahan posted:

Can't see it going down well in the UK at least, even if they had enough units for retail who the hell would carry it other than Amazon? Our high streets are hosed right now, and aside from the big out of town stores, the places like Game and HMV that would normally sell consoles aren't likely to be taking those kinds of risks when they're all having to be rescued from bankruptcy.

GAME's selling it online at least, so there's every chance they'll have them in shops too.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

1st Stage Midboss posted:

GAME's selling it online at least, so there's every chance they'll have them in shops too.

$99 "console" = £99 "console".

Great. It's even worse value in the UK.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Rudager posted:

Well if they're trying to get it out ASAP and they based in that area, that might be why.

I don't live in the US, but I do handle the shipping of export containers to the US from Australia, and the west coast is about $2000 (cost's $3,000 WC, $5,000 EC) USD cheaper per 20' container, and we ship approx 15-20 20' containers a week to the US, so we have some decent volume to keep those rates down. Even though I doubt they're shipping container loads, it gives an idea of the difference in shipping from China to each coast and I imagine it would be a similar story for airfreights.

The problem isn't getting them from Ouya to whoever, it's getting from the factory to Ouya. From Twitter:

juhrman posted:

@TeeJaxOff @playouya Why? The content is great and the units are shipping. We wanted to ship as we made them vs. stockpile and ship

This is despite the fact they already knew how many backer Ouyas (and limited editions/controllers/etc.) to make.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

SoupyTwist posted:

The problem isn't getting them from Ouya to whoever, it's getting from the factory to Ouya. From Twitter:

This is despite the fact they already knew how many backer Ouyas (and limited editions/controllers/etc.) to make.

It's probably cheaper to package and ship individually from China; I doubt they even have a distribution center in the US and labor is insanely cheap in Asia.

That said, the smart thing to do would have been to stockpile at the packaging facility and ship the backers in one go. If they're shipping off the line... Well they're not making deadlines.

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010
Holy poo poo, I love this thread. I showed this thread to my roommate that donated to the kickstarter, we're not on speaking terms right now.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
There hasn't been much news to write about ever since Ouya saved the world. However, I came in to work and found this in the mail bin..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uvPLOWs0No

Credit goes to whoever brought up the idea earlier in the thread!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
So as we expected, they're just sending them off the line as they make them, and they probably just sent off one test run and haven't started yet.

They'd be way better off just being honest about a couple weeks delay. This looks awfully shady, and backers are starting to feel it.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 13, 2013

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Zaphod42 posted:

They'd be way better off just being honest about a couple week's delay. This looks awfully shady, and backers are starting to feel it.

Like, I just don't get this poo poo. It's Public Relations 101. By and large Kickstarter has proven that if people like your product enough to buy it as a theoretical, they'll be understanding of a reasonable level of human cock-ups. Just get out slightly ahead of it and throw some contrition down and it's gonna be fine.

I know the Reaper Bones kickstarter ran into a few hiccups, but they immediately got in front of it and said "Hey dudes, we're gonna make good but this is what's up" and by and large people were like "Okay yeah we're all human, it's cool."

On the scale of Kickstarter things a 2-3 week delay would cause some grumbling, but once you get all condescending graphs and cover-up corporate speak about managing the message, people will rightly be annoyed that you're abusing the goodwill that got them to invest capital in your product without asking for any return besides the product itself.

It's dumb, yo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bagina posted:

Almost never. Once you are in the continental 48 states, it's pretty much the same price to ship anywhere. Cost tends to be more related to weight and speed. Next day shipping can get crazy expensive.

This is only true for flat rate shipping. Every single other type costs more based on distance and weight.

Then again, I suppose OUYA would just jam them all into the "If it fits it ships!" boxes and call it a day.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 13, 2013

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Diametunim posted:

Holy poo poo, I love this thread. I showed this thread to my roommate that donated to the kickstarter, we're not on speaking terms right now.

This person isn't good with money and shouldn't be responsible for half the rent.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Liquid Penguins posted:

This person isn't good with money and shouldn't be responsible for half the rent.

Oh please, I'm sure you've burned $100 on something you won't get back.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Diametunim posted:

I suppose this means couch co-op is out of the question.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Literally burning 100$ would have been a better idea than supporting the OUYAGE as at least the flaming bill would be a source of heat.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Meat Recital posted:

Literally burning 100$ would have been a better idea than supporting the OUYAGE as at least the flaming bill would be a source of heat.

Yeah but so will the Ouya. :downsrim:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We should have this poo poo on a bingo card at this point.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Inspector_71 posted:

This is only true for flat rate shipping. Every single other type costs more based on distance and weight.

Then again, I suppose OUYA would just jam them all into the "If it fits it ships!" boxes and call it a day.
This is true, and I have gone back and edited the original post to correct my error. Maybe I wasn't communicating clearly enough. I've since gone back and done at least 3 to 4 hours of research and the various shipping practices that are employed in the United States and related territories. I do have an extensive background in internet based research. My company sells shipping. I thought we were discussing shipping as it relates to sending versus shipping as it relates to receiving. Please help me elucidate my arguments in terms of package management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

bagina posted:

This is true, and I have gone back and edited the original post to correct my error. Maybe I wasn't communicating clearly enough. I've since gone back and done at least 3 to 4 hours of research and the various shipping practices that are employed in the United States and related territories. I do have an extensive background in internet based research. My company sells shipping. I thought we were discussing shipping as it relates to sending versus shipping as it relates to receiving. Please help me elucidate my arguments in terms of package management.

Jeeeeeeeeez you could at least apologise as well mister!

• Locked thread