Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

He was never going to be, in the sense of a 70 pt winger. He's a Mike Fisher of winger prospects. Not a bad thing.

Yeah, to me, he's a 20 year-old Callahan (not exactly but you understand) with more offensive upside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I wouldn't worry about Landeskog. He's another player that will have a long career even if he never scores 30g only because he's so good defensively. Plus the guy is a captain at 20 for a reason. There are a number of problems with the Avs, but he isn't one.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I was kind of hoping Landeskog would be left to my pick, because I am really high on him. I don't know what his ceiling is, but it wouldn't surprise me if he is a top-20 or 25 player in the league soon.

I am also getting continually surprised by the players being picked. Again, the guy I was talking about in the high-20s hasn't been chosen. I thought others would be higher on him than I was, but I guess I was wrong.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Landeskog having bad stats this year could be because the Avs suck donkey dick

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Not to mention missing 11 games with a concussion.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Who's up right now? Montreal (stab)?

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Yes, Stab is on the board.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Landeskog having bad stats this year could be because the Avs suck donkey dick

Maybe part of the reason they suck donkey dick is that they chose a 20 year old second line winger to be their captain.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
I actually dreamed of who to pick, woke up all excited, then remembered there's 30-some picks until my next pick and there's no way the two guys I'm targeting will still be around.

Landeskog is good now, will be great someday, and I understand the reasoning behind naming him captain but it was a bad idea. It's kind of like how everyone is surprised Tavares isn't captain until you remember saddling a kid with the responsibility of a trainwreck franchise isn't always the most conducive to development, either for himself or his teammates. In this fantasy draft, though, he doesn't have to be your captain. Great pick.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
wow, j'ai fait un gros write-up pour mon prochaine choix pis le forum la mange sans rien ecrire. celui me rend en crisse.

avec leur choix de deuxieme tour, le Club de Hockey Canadien sont fiers de selectionne anciennement de l'equipe de hockey MODO, Henrik Sedin

Ouais on est courant que il n'est plus jeune, mais il sera productif encore pour 3-4 ans de plus, et le Club de Hockey Canadien vise toujours le Coupe Stanley. On veut notre 25ieme Coupe. Ole!

english part: somebody post twins.gif, mine was too large and crashed my mega french write-up plz tia

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

stab posted:

wow, j'ai fait un gros write-up pour mon prochaine choix pis le forum la mange sans rien ecrire. celui me rend en crisse.

avec leur choix de deuxieme tour, le Club de Hockey Canadien sont fiers de selectionne anciennement de l'equipe de hockey MODO, Henrik Sedin

Ouais on est courant que il n'est plus jeune, mais il sera productif encore pour 3-4 ans de plus, et le Club de Hockey Canadien vise toujours le Coupe Stanley. On veut notre 25ieme Coupe. Ole!

english part: somebody post twins.gif, mine was too large and crashed my mega french write-up plz tia
Un tres bon choix. T'a choisi le meilleur des freres

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Hendricks Sedin was 3rd on my list. Fine pick, Monsieur.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I had a small, small hope that Henrik would last until the 59th pick.

Also, complaining about Landeskog being captain is weird. Beyond the fact that we can't see the actual impact of him as a captain (unless you want to count the team record, which is a bit unfair), and that he's a second-line LW (which isn't really true, he plays on the first line some of the time. Unless you really think any one of David Jones (who has been used as a RW), Cody McLeod, or Jamie McGinn is a better LW.), he was picked for a reason. Hejduk gave up his captaincy, and who else on this team would be a better fit? Duchene? O'Reilly? Any case you can make for one of these guys can easily be made for Landeskog.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone thwart stab's plan.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Paulocaust posted:

Someone thwart stab's plan.

I have a 0% chance of that happening, and my plan is to go away from that :ninja:

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
So I'm up right now, and my original choice was going to be Henrik Sedin.

Welp.

Give me another hour or two and I'll see if I can figure something out.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

If you really wanted Hank, there are suitable substitutes... like that guy.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
There's nobody like Hank, don't even bother Googling it.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Another interesting alternative to Hank is just about anything pick someone already drat it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Flyers are up - Mentholmoose. Henrik Sedin is a nice pick. Sedin/Price is a solid core to build around.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Shoeonhead22 posted:

There's nobody like Hank, don't even bother Googling it.

Well, I tried Googling "hockey players like sedin," but I replaced the d with an m and ended up drafting Alexander Semin.

29 years old, he's an excellent offensive talent with a hell of a shot, and is an offensive center piece on just about any team. In addition, he's a good defender for being a floaty, lazy Russian.

:gizz:

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Apr 13, 2013

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Wow. I like Semin but I'm shocked to see him picked this early.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

mozza posted:

Wow. I like Semin but I'm shocked to see him picked this early.

He's an enigma, it's impossible to judge. I have my pick ready I'm just looking for pictures
e: I'm up, right?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Shoeonhead22 posted:

He's an enigma, it's impossible to judge. I have my pick ready I'm just looking for pictures
e: I'm up, right?

You're the Avalanche, right, because they're up.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Hi I'm GM Avalanche

And today I select a Phil Kessel. I know I already have a center [edit: apparently Phil Kessel is not a center, which makes this an ultra-good pick], but I dunno why this guy hasn't been picked. I was expecting him to go late 1st early 2nd and I'm happy to add him to my deadly top 6. Here's a picture of Phil from his Peewee years.

edit: $5.4 million

Rene Rancourt fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 13, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Subban and Semin in the same locker room. Owns.

Datsyuk and Kessel on the guys who don't look like hockey players line

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Semin's an interesting pick. I like him but I'd worry about his consistency. You never know if you're getting PPG Semin or floaty 50 point Semin. You can see what he's done for Eric Staal this year though. I don't think it's a coincidence that Staal is having his best year in a while playing alongside Semin.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I think I'm up? Will pick when I get home in a little bit.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thufir and Da Hawks on the board.

e: what he said

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Hi, I'm Jeremy Jacobs.

When I'm not moonlighting as a real-life Mr. Burns by spending a normal person's lifetime earnings on piddly local elections because of horses, or causing lockouts, I own the Boston Bruins.

With our 2nd pick of the draft, 50th overall, I wanted to secure a #1 defender. Such a player is still on the board and he is...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4UeCFCSTuc

Dion Phaneuf.

I like my stallions well-broken.

Dion is a seasoned veteran with an imposing physical presence, a mean streak, and scoring ability. And he's only 28.

He is signed until 2014 with a cap hit of $6,500,000.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like this pick, except for the fact I was going to take him. Jerk.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everyone says he's a massive rear end in a top hat off the ice but I love the rear end in a top hat he is on the ice and the liberties he takes on any player within arm range. He and Patty Kane will make for another interesting locker room.

Spamtron7000 and the Caps be on the clock. Does Ovi need a Backstrom-like to thrive?!

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Is it too early to start drafting phenoms? The Washington Capitals are pleased to select the most skilled player available - Jonathan Huberdeau. Alexander Ovechkin needs someone slick, quick and with great puckhandling skills to complement his bull-in-a-china shop offensive game. Huberdeau isn't Backstrom - but Ovechkin doesn't necessarily need Backstrom. With two weapons who can create offense on their own, opposing defenses will be challenged for years to come. Huberdeau and Ovechkin will anchor the powerplay and while they may spend time on the same line, they could also be separated to create difficult matchups. The fact Huberdeau comes with an affordable ELC means that we can avoid major cap trouble for the foreseeable future.

There were three other players I strongly considered for this pick but based on Ovechkin's salary I felt I needed to hold off on overspending for a while and with the addition of Jonathan Huberdeau, the Washington Capitals will have two offensive forces who can dominate games.

Also, I made this - Alexonathon Huberdeauvechkin:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Was thinking Huey might fall back down to me. He's really fun to watch and does something every game that is worth the price of admission (which in Florida is about five dollars but STILL).

He and Ovi would be an interesting pairing. That's kind of a Semin-Ovi thing.

Drunk Canuck and the Wild on the clock.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking about Huberdeau, wondering when he might go. I hope this doesn't turn into a run on youth before it gets back around to me.

If it doesn't, he went to early, but if it does.... You got one of the best young players in the game.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Hmm I'm in the on-deck circle but I'm starting to doubt that I'll be able to pick tonight. Probably won't be on until around noon EST tomorrow either. Hopefully that's all right.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Starsfan posted:

Hmm I'm in the on-deck circle but I'm starting to doubt that I'll be able to pick tonight. Probably won't be on until around noon EST tomorrow either. Hopefully that's all right.

Maybe PM a pick and a backup choice to IANSS?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

DC said he would pick around midnight ET or now. You should PM me your top two choices and I can pick for you.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Drunk Canuck is probably busy trying to find a new liver after the Leafs-Habs game. Although I don't understand why everyone's so allergic to using lists.

After this long I've almost changed my mind about who I want first. Oh well, we'll see soon enough.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
well I'll be awake for a while yet... I'll send my list to IANSS when I retire for the night. It might be me being paranoid but I'm not so eager to send my pick to someone who could well end up selecting the player for the team in front of me if DC doesn't show up soon.

• Locked thread