Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stochastastic
Jun 5, 2003

godzirraRAWR posted:

I take some fresh oregano and basil, and chop up a TON OF GARLIC, and drop it into a couple cups of GOOD olive oil, and let it sit on my counter for a couple of days.

You should not do this.

http://www.ext.colostate.edu/safefood/newsltr/v2n4s08.html

e;fb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
eh, I'll add some ground up vitamin c or lemon juice from now on.

Thanks! Didn't know I could be getting folks sick, even tho my family has been doing this for ages, sheesh.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oracle posted:

For all those complaining about sticky peels, is there some religious reason people don't use pizza screens? They're like two bucks at the local restaurant supply store and they come in a range of sizes from personal to jesus christ that won't even fit in a home oven. Just build your pizza right on it and use your peel to slide it in the oven. No muss, no fuss, still get that stone contact through the screen, easy peasy.

I have a few pizza screens and use them a ton. If you're making pizza on them though, you either use the screen, or you use the stone, not really together. The dough doesn't come in contact with the stone if it's on a screen. But if you use just the screen, it allows the heat from the coil at the bottom of your oven to penetrate directly to the crust, kind of like broiling it. They're both good for different things. Personally I use my screen for lots of other things, like garlic bread, reheating pizza, frozen pizza, stuff like that where you want a crisp bottom.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

godzirraRAWR posted:

The brightest, most flavorful sauce I've made always comes from a can of San Marzano DOP tomatoes if I can find one. They tend to be plum tomatoes with a tart flavor which are supposedly grown in volcanic soil. They've made me hate other tomatoes occasionally. I think they were mentioned in this thread like a year ago.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
This is the first time I've made pizza in probably 3 or 4 years and the first ever using a stone (Henn Hearthstone, borrowed from my mother- seems relatively cheap, but effective enough), and in that context I'm pretty pleased with the final result. Outside of that context- I've got a lot of room for improvement.

Went with the Trader Joe's premade dough, due to laziness. Pepperoni, jalepeno, onion and minced garlic, with mozzarella.

Bottom had an ok crunch- also a lot of cornmeal from the cutting board I was using as a peel. Biggest problem was that I didn't get the dough thin enough and so there were undercooked spots, especially near the edges. I need to get better at rolling/tossing my dough(and maybe make it myself).

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.

Veritek83 posted:

Bottom had an ok crunch- also a lot of cornmeal from the cutting board I was using as a peel. Biggest problem was that I didn't get the dough thin enough and so there were undercooked spots, especially near the edges. I need to get better at rolling/tossing my dough(and maybe make it myself).

It helps to use more flour when you're rolling it out from my experience. Makes it stay put more rather than contract.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

godzirraRAWR posted:

Thanks! Didn't know I could be getting folks sick, even tho my family has been doing this for ages, sheesh.

not so much "get sick" as "die a horrible lingering death"

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

Cizzo posted:

It helps to use more flour when you're rolling it out from my experience. Makes it stay put more rather than contract.

That definitely helped, though I think I need to get some additional practice (and probably start making my own dough, instead of buying from Trader Joe's) to get the thickness a bit more uniform.

1/4 Feta, 3/4 mozzarella, spinach, black olives, tomatoes, onion.

Went a bit overboard with the toppings, and ended up with some structural issues near the center, but still way better than spending $12 on delivery.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A friend of mine got injured recently in a car accident, and has been having problems making good pizza dough. He's currently staying with his parents while he recovers because his right arm is completely immobilized and he's got a huge cast on the left which makes doing pretty much anything really tough. They have a bread machine but not a mixer with a bread hook.

Can anyone recommend a good pizza dough recipe that'd work well with a bread machine?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I think any pizza dough recipe would work in a bread machine - your friend's issue is going to be rolling out the dough.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

That issue could be solved by using this method perhaps. I haven't tried this myself yet.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite Magherita around here is from a place called Pizzeria Delfina and all they do is put canned tomatoes and olive oil together for the sauce.

I was close to this. Bunch of oil, throw in a tiny bit of garlic and maybe 1/4 of an onion, add a can of San Marzano that I crushed by hand, tiny bit of salt and pepper. Came out exactly like I wanted.

Also, pizza stones are goddamn amazing. My crust came out perfect (I decided to make life easy and just buy dough at the pizza place I like). My main problem:

I have no idea how to properly toss pizza into nice shapes

I don't have a peel, so I used a flat baking sheet. but like an idiot, I tried doing it ON the sheet rather than o nthe counter and using the sheet to move it. I almost folded my pizza on top of itself in the stove :argh:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't have a peel, so I used a flat baking sheet. but like an idiot, I tried doing it ON the sheet rather than o nthe counter and using the sheet to move it. I almost folded my pizza on top of itself in the stove :argh:

My last accidental calzone was when I moved to parchment paper. Never regretted.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I made a whole wheat pizza dough the other day and ended up only using half of it. I threw the other half (after the first rise) into oiled saran wrap, inside a ziplock, into the freezer. I was told I should still be able to let this rise a second time and use like normal.

My issue is the dough sucked rear end the first time I used to. To salvage this I figured I'd make a calzone so that I could put as much cheese (mmm ricotta) into the fucker and douse it with lots of sauce. Do I cook it the same way I'd cook a pizza on my stone? Should I do a lower eat as it's not all the same height?

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

I've done calzones at ~400 and they came out alright. Haven't messed around with doing one on a stone yet, though as I cracked my (cheapish, hand-me-down)stone today, I may not try for awhile. Think I'm going to go with the baking steel as a replacement.

Here are the culprits- both using a very basic beer based dough, which was interesting, but probably not something I'm going to use regularly.

pepperoni, green pepper and red onion

mild banana peppers and red onion

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

demonR6 posted:

Good lord how much does that slab of stone weigh?

This was from forever ago, but I knocked out some awesome pitas yesterday and remembered to weigh the stone I got. 6kg. :D

Elmysterio
May 17, 2003

I shall smite thee with an all consuming fury!
This thread got me excited about cooking again. I got cheap pizza stone and some ingredients and havent looked back.

King Arthur all purpose flour, yeast, cold water and let rise in fridge for 2 days

Anchovy with homemade sauce and fresh mozzarella

Olive oil, asiago, mozz, prosciutto,onions, cracked pepper, fresh tyme

These turned out really well, a cheap $8 stone from local grocery is infinitely better than any metal pizza sheet.

Elmysterio fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 28, 2013

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

In the aftermath of breaking my mid-range stone a week ago, I decided to shell out for a Baking Steel. Totally worth it. Mozzarella, capers and red onion. Homemade sauce- uncooked, Cento San Marzanos, garlic and dried oregano. Had to use TJ's dough, since all of my homemade was in the freezer when the stone arrived at my office this afternoon. Best pie I've made so far.

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
Anyone think a cast iron pizza stone would have any big difference over a regular pizza stone?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

indoflaven posted:

Anyone think a cast iron pizza stone would have any big difference over a regular pizza stone?

Would this be much different than the Baking Steel?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

indoflaven posted:

Good question. I have made deep dish in a cast iron skillet and it came out incredible. I did not have to vary from the cook time much and aside from it being a little more greasy due to the amount of cheese and sausage I used, it turned out great.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm trying my hand at a 100% whole wheat pizza dough.

800g Whole Wheat Flour (600g 'very strong', 200g plain whole wheat) - 100%
700g Water - 87.5%
12g Yeast - 2%
20g Salt - 3%
38g Honey - 5%
22g Olive Oil - 3%

It is VERY wet and VERY sticky. I 'kneaded' it once and let it rise till doubled, kneaded again, another rise, kneaded again, another rise. Think I read that method somewhere. Forming them will be a pain in the rear end. Might par-cook them first before topping. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

smarion2
Apr 22, 2010

angor posted:

I'm trying my hand at a 100% whole wheat pizza dough.

800g Whole Wheat Flour (600g 'very strong', 200g plain whole wheat) - 100%
700g Water - 87.5%
12g Yeast - 2%
20g Salt - 3%
38g Honey - 5%
22g Olive Oil - 3%

It is VERY wet and VERY sticky. I 'kneaded' it once and let it rise till doubled, kneaded again, another rise, kneaded again, another rise. Think I read that method somewhere. Forming them will be a pain in the rear end. Might par-cook them first before topping. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

Why not use any white flower? Usually whole wheat crusts are part of each. Are you just experimenting? I have a feeling that crust is going to be very dense.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

indoflaven posted:

Serious Eats did a big comparison series awhile ago and if I recall correctly, the Lodge cast iron pizza pan was near the top of the list.

I've used my skillet a couple of times for pan pizza and it's pretty great for that. I think the biggest issue with cast iron is that you've usually got a lip on the edge which makes transferring the pie from the peel a bit tricky.

Polonium
Jul 17, 2007
That KILLS me.
I'm only just starting to get into this whole selfmade Pizza thing, so forgive my stupid question, but...
Is there a legitimate reason for putting the toppings on top of the cheese? Other than the name, maybe.

I once asked a guy from a Pizza place and he said they mostly do it so customers can make sure everything's there and the order isn't messed up. Is that it?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

If the toppings were covered by cheese, they wouldn't be exposed to the same amount of convective heat in the oven that they would be if they were on top of the cheese. This is more important to the proper cooking of the toppings rather than the cheese, which doesn't "cook" so much as "melt".

Also, if you put pepperoni under the cheese you wouldn't get those little delicious curled grease chalices, so there's that.

Also, tradition I guess?

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I guess it's just to brown the toppings a bit. Slightly crispy salami (for example) is tasty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I love going to Una Pizza Napoletana restaurant once in a while when I want top quality pizza. But looks like they recently upped the prices to $22. It's great quality but getting a 12" marinara for $22 feels like a rip off. I can get a really good one for $10 from Delfina.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just came back from Una Pizza Napoletana and it was worth it. *burp*

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Anyone have any good recipes for gluten-free dough that don't use eggs? I've used the Bob's Red Mill pre-packaged dough and its not bad, just wondering if there's anything better out there. Should I try to just use some preexisting recipes and sub in GF flour and adjust for hydration etc?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Iron Lung posted:

Anyone have any good recipes for gluten-free dough that don't use eggs? I've used the Bob's Red Mill pre-packaged dough and its not bad, just wondering if there's anything better out there. Should I try to just use some preexisting recipes and sub in GF flour and adjust for hydration etc?

Vegan gluten-free pizza dough recipe:
http://melomeals.blogspot.com/2010/12/frugan-oh-that-gluten-free-pizza.html

Made a "clean out the fridge pizza" the other day, this has broccoli, fresh jalapenos, pickled jalapenos, chipotle-flavored pickled onions, and a various black olives. The cheese was a mix of smoked Gouda, sharp cheddar and Romano.
Seen here on my $3.20 Home Depot pizza stone.

The girlfriend introduced me to a new flour that makes great pizza dough: King Arthur White Whole Wheat flour. Made a fantastic crust, you folks should try it sometime.

Squashy Nipples fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Apr 5, 2013

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Polonium posted:

I'm only just starting to get into this whole selfmade Pizza thing, so forgive my stupid question, but...
Is there a legitimate reason for putting the toppings on top of the cheese? Other than the name, maybe.

That's how I always do mine... Tomato base, cheese and toppings on top of cheese... Just seems right to me...

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen

First try! Regular old electric oven, 500 degrees. tomato sauce, coppa, mushrooms, cheddar. This is a very fun thing to do.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

While I love Neapolitan, New Haven, and NY style pizza, I also like to change things up a bit. While not strictly a PIZZA (and hopefully not an affront to this thread), I gave Chicago style deep dish a try (from here: http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail2012.pdf)

Verdict? Very tasty, the crust was perfect. Buttery, a little crunchy, flaky. Very biscuit-like. The two-piece 12" x 2" tart pan, while not completely authentic, is definitely the way to go. However, I committed the mortal sin of pizza making: I used too much of each ingredient. Too much cheese, too much sausage, too much tomato. Thus the layers didn't meld together because there was too much water. Also, the bottom was too thin and the sides were too thick. I'll have to work on the spreading method. Maybe a rolling pin with 1/4" rings on it and some hand forming to finish. Also, I disagree with the pdf about pinching the dough up 1" to 1.5". Next time, I'm going to take it up all the way to the top of the pan, and then roll it over the edge a little bit. That will help alleviate the thickness and also prevent tomato from seeping down the side of the pan and burning. If you are using a non-stick, aluminum, 2-piece tart pan there is no reason to lube the bottom of the pan. It makes spreading in the pan marginally easier but I really think a rolling pin, outside of the pan, is a better option. There is plenty of oil (and actually, another tablespoon of oil is something I'll try next time) in the dough so it's not going to stick to anything remotely non-stick.

Oh well. I'll definitely try it again.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 14, 2013

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I'd say that's a fine looking deep dish in pursuit of such a thing---god I'm hungry now. Using a tart pan is an interesting notion, I wonder what other sorts of pans would make for a good stand in...

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That's no pizza. It's a space station.

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.
Just made this today using a crappy apartment oven and preheating a lodge cast iron stone to 550F for an hour. Good dough helps a lot. Hacking your oven is going to be ideal but don't let anyone tell you that you can't make Neapolitan style pizza without doing that.

Edit: Usually I'd put thin slices of prosciutto and a bunch of arugula on top after it comes out of the oven but I didn't have those on hand today and had some dough to use up.

Oae Ui fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 14, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My first attempt was in a cast iron skillet and it turned out really well. I ran into the same problem Nostrum experienced but to a lesser degree that I laid it a little thick on the sauce and I did not drain the sausage I cooked well enough but it was still very tasty.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Oae Ui posted:

Just made this today using a crappy apartment oven and preheating a lodge cast iron stone to 550F for an hour. Good dough helps a lot. Hacking your oven is going to be ideal but don't let anyone tell you that you can't make Neapolitan style pizza without doing that.

Dough recipe, please? Yours looks so airy and delicious. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oae Ui
Oct 7, 2003

Let's be friends.

Walk Away posted:

Dough recipe, please? Yours looks so airy and delicious. Good job.

I've been using this recipe for quite awhile: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/03/jim-laheys-no-knead-pizza-dough-recipe.html

I use Trader Joe's all purpose flour which I've heard has a fairly high protein content for all purpose. This time I substituted beer in place of the water to see how it would change the flavor but didn't notice much of a difference.