Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

People need to stop naming their dogs Bentley jaysus effing christ I'm getting so sick of it. Max, Sophie, Bear, Coco, Molly, Maggie, those are all super common too but for whatever reason Bentley just rubs me the wrong way.

And on another note, I saw an Alaskan Klee Kai today - very bizarre to see a husky-like coat, colouring and tail with a pointy little Chihuahua face and body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fat Dio posted:

People need to stop naming their dogs Bentley jaysus effing christ I'm getting so sick of it. Max, Sophie, Bear, Coco, Molly, Maggie, those are all super common too but for whatever reason Bentley just rubs me the wrong way.

"Zoe" and its billion other spellings is the same for me. We had 4 regular daycampers at work named Zoe, Zoee, Xoe and Zoey. It was a pain when all 4 showed up on the same day.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Today one of the groomers had two dogs named Max at the same time and I've had seven Cocos so far - only one has actually been brown.

My favourite name so far was a bouncy little terrier named Patapouf, which I just learned is French slang for a big fat blob.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

Kiri koli posted:

These signs popped up last week in the farm fields along the route we (and a lot of other people) usually walk our dog. Guess they don't appreciate the free fertilizer!

(for the record, it's their property, so I will respect their wishes, I just thought the sign itself was funny)

Eh, I'd say dog poo poo's fertilizing properties are far eclipsed by what a disgusting mess it is when people don't bother to pick it up, especially in places that rely on natural underground water supplies. Even dog pee sucks because it kills grass. If it was diluted each time, it could potentially be helpful or at least less harmful to grass, but since no one is carrying around a bottle of water to dilute their dog's pee, it just ends up causing hot spots of dead grass.

I was just thinking about this earlier today, oddly enough. I was thinking of taking my boyfriend's dog for a walk while he's out, and wondering about the ethics of letting your dog pee/poop on other people's yards. You can pick up poop most of the time, but what if it ends up being a loose stool and you can't get all of it? And is it fair to let your dog's pee kill other people's grass?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Bentley and Zoe (and all other spellings) are definitely some of the most common names that come through the pet resort I work at. The one I am truly sick of, however, is Bella.

Lucy is also absurdly common.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Edit: ^^ beaten!

I don't mind most dog names, but the whole loving Bella thing needs to stop. For fucks sake I saw a english bulldog named Bella. I've seen MALE dogs named Bella. The classics like 'spot' and 'rex' need to make a come back. :mad:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I updated the rules to make it clearer where the boundary is about posting to rehome your pets. We've been getting a few more people in lately who just jump into PI to rehome and it gets my goat good. My goat is thoroughly gotten. If someone posts asking about the process of rehoming (i.e. how do I post on craigslist successfully, what info should I include or leave out, does this email sound sketchy to you) please be as helpful as possible and don't run them out just because they've made the decision to rehome. It's a hard choice and they don't need any more poo poo about it... unless, of course, they are genuine shitbags, in which case feel free to give them a hard time once the animal is out of harm's way.

edit: To be 100% clear, I'm not going to get on someone for volunteering to take someone's animal if they're obviously trying to rehome, I just don't want PI to be where games posters go to get rid of their puppy when it turns out it needs to pee at night.

Pile of Kittens fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Apr 14, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Skizzles posted:

Lucy is also absurdly common.

We didn't name ours at least. And we call her Stink Monkey most of the time.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Serella posted:

I was just thinking about this earlier today, oddly enough. I was thinking of taking my boyfriend's dog for a walk while he's out, and wondering about the ethics of letting your dog pee/poop on other people's yards. You can pick up poop most of the time, but what if it ends up being a loose stool and you can't get all of it? And is it fair to let your dog's pee kill other people's grass?

Some serious city people problems here. There's a whole little dance with picking up poop. Of course, you're never going to get it all, you never do. The number of people who could be watching, their proximity, how well you know the person who owns the lawn and poop consistency all dictate how much effort you make it look like you're putting into it. If the owner is watching you from the window, I like to give them a thumbs up when I'm finished.

Much more awkward was our grey kitten who learned to walk with us in the city. We never trained her, we just couldn't keep her inside. She meowed incessantly, clawed out the screens and was just a terrorist until she was let outside. The backyard was fenced but she learned to climb that pretty quickly. She started following us and the dog down the sidewalk a bit, then she'd run home. She came a little further each time until she was eventually just following us around the block. We tried putting a leash on her but it was a nightmare and she was really good about staying off the road so we just let her go.

The next thing I knew, I was the guy walking a dog on a leash with a cat trucking along behind us, rain or shine. Then she decided that people's flower gardens are bathrooms so I'd try to drag my geriatric dog across their lawns to pull her out but it was always too late. Eventually, I pretended she wasn't my cat and told people who asked that she just started following me around. Thankfully, most people didn't mind, there were a lot of stray cats in that neighbourhood and they thought it was cute that she came on walks.

Thank god I don't have to do that anymore, we live in the country now. She has hundreds of acres to explore but she'll still follow us on walks a few times a week.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Serella posted:

Eh, I'd say dog poo poo's fertilizing properties are far eclipsed by what a disgusting mess it is when people don't bother to pick it up, especially in places that rely on natural underground water supplies. Even dog pee sucks because it kills grass. If it was diluted each time, it could potentially be helpful or at least less harmful to grass, but since no one is carrying around a bottle of water to dilute their dog's pee, it just ends up causing hot spots of dead grass.

I totally get that people don't want that poo poo (ha) in their yards and I try to only let Psyche go along wooded areas where people aren't walking and clearly aren't cutting the grass (and I pick it up if she has an emergency). But these are literally giant farm fields and we have seen them spread manure all over them as fertilizer (but maybe it is special manure?). Plus there are tons of deer and other wild animals, so it's not going to stay clean even without dogs doing their thing.

But they probably have some reason, so that's fine. Also Psyche's pee doesn't kill our grass, maybe cuz she's little?

As for names, I personally don't care for people names for dogs. Most common around here seems to be Sadie.

Edit: My childhood dog was Tasha, but my mom named her so that wasn't my fault. My childhood bird I did name: he was Ferdie because he acted like king of the world and my little brain connected that to Archduke Ferdinand. Plus then he was Ferdie the Birdie. :colbert:

Edit2: And yes, he could say "Ferdie the Birdie".

Kiri koli fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 14, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Serella posted:

and wondering about the ethics of letting your dog pee/poop on other people's yards.

You are way overthinking this, man. Especially with the ungodly amount of strays (owned and not) that run around all the time in most areas.

Names: Everyone calls them stupid spanish names here, or the sorts of things you'd associate with a mexican-touched jersey shore show. You are so smart by calling your obese chihuahua Gordita and rehoming her for $200. Also, Chico. In Japan the most common name on base was Gunny or Bella (:cripes: loving Twilight). Off base it was Taro, Nana and Hana. Add a -channnn :swoon: to all of those.

Pile of Kittens: Is the goat that has been gotten as cute as the little chocolate goat baby in the livestock thread?

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Kiri koli posted:

I totally get that people don't want that poo poo (ha) in their yards and I try to only let Psyche go along wooded areas where people aren't walking and clearly aren't cutting the grass (and I pick it up if she has an emergency). But these are literally giant farm fields and we have seen them spread manure all over them as fertilizer (but maybe it is special manure?). Plus there are tons of deer and other wild animals, so it's not going to stay clean even without dogs doing their thing.

Herbivore manure is already mostly composted, so it's okay. Carnivore and omnivore poop has a lot more harmful bacteria in it, and leaving it on the ground causes these bacteria to be washed into the water cycle by the rain, which then endangers any food that is fed by that water or anything that directly drinks the water. It's just one of those things that makes a small impact, but when everyone doesn't do it, it's suddenly a big problem for the local watershed.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

Herbivore manure is already mostly composted, so it's okay. Carnivore and omnivore poop has a lot more harmful bacteria in it, and leaving it on the ground causes these bacteria to be washed into the water cycle by the rain, which then endangers any food that is fed by that water or anything that directly drinks the water. It's just one of those things that makes a small impact, but when everyone doesn't do it, it's suddenly a big problem for the local watershed.

Ah, I did not know that, thanks.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Pile of Kittens posted:

That, and there's a big difference between the occasional stray or wild animal peeing wherever it feels like in my yard and the neighbor who used to stop and let her dog pee every day on my mailbox post. Literally. Every. Day. Just mine. The grass around the post was dead for years.

Before anyone asks, yes, we asked her multiple times to stop. Politely, even. The first time, she pretended she didn't speak English (literally "Me no speaky English"), then mumbled "loving Bitch" as she walked away. The rest of the time, she'd just roll her eyes and grumble "whatever". Only reason I remember this is because my mother and I were just talking about it because of some shitstains that park in front of our house whenever one of our neighbors has a party.

I'm so glad mailbox lady doesn't live in our neighborhood anymore. Same goes for the family who would let their dog out intentionally for hours at a time, then pretend "she just got away from us!" if you complained. Or the woman with the aggressive Dalmatians that screamed at me not to touch her dog or she'd sue me while it was trying to bite me. My neighborhood is seriously an ongoing concentration of lovely pet owners.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

Fat Dio posted:

Today one of the groomers had two dogs named Max at the same time and I've had seven Cocos so far - only one has actually been brown.

To be fair, she wasn't either

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yeah, the people in my 'hood aren't great about picking up poo poo. Some dude has a english bulldog he just lets make huge piles of poo poo everywhere and doesn't clean up. It's like random surprise treats for my dog! :downs:

Feldman still doesn't make solid poops, so it's a bitch to clean up. Usually have to pull up grass along with it to really make sure none is left. But I figure people won't mind a little grass missing if it means not having poop sitting around attracting flies and such.

Then there are the people with the small/toy dogs who just don't care. There's some lady with a little toy poodle named Honey who she walks without a leash and just lets poo poo anywhere, without even bothering to bring any bags. The size of the poo poo doesn't matter, still clean up after your dog! :argh:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

You are way overthinking this, man. Especially with the ungodly amount of strays (owned and not) that run around all the time in most areas.

Actually, I've never seen a stray here. Even when I lived in north Florida, the only "stray" dogs I ever saw were unleashed.

Now cats, I see those all the time. Outdoor cats bug me because the world is their shitbox. So rude. :mad:

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

redmercer posted:

To be fair, she wasn't either

I expect every animal's name to be a literal description of said animal :colbert:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

But Sadie is actually quite friendly! Maybe I should name her after a penguin breed instead.

Also does anyone else have pets that get a bit carried away grooming or scratching and just continue on grooming them? Sadie does it rarely but one of my parent's dogs will get carried away doing that nibbling itching that dogs do and continue on doing it to your leg.

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Most times I see somebody not picking up after their dog, I "chase them down" and politely offer them a bag. "You probably have used yours. No problem, you can have mine, since I have plenty/don't even have the dogs with me atm." Works like a charm.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Riiseli posted:

Most times I see somebody not picking up after their dog, I "chase them down" and politely offer them a bag. "You probably have used yours. No problem, you can have mine, since I have plenty/don't even have the dogs with me atm." Works like a charm.

I tried that with the dude who owns the english bulldog. He just started walking faster. :(

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

We moved into our place in November so haven't exactly experienced nice weather since living here.

Behind our garden is a massive field that dog walkers have used for years and there's now a community effort to turn it into woodland (and basically stop another housing development being gifted the land by the council, they tried previously but the protests caused them to pull out). Well it was fairly warm last Friday and Artie and me went for a walk, the copious amounts of stale/fresh dog poo poo stank to high heaven :( This directly backs onto my garden so when it's really hot it's gonna stink to hell, ill see myself being the mad lady picking up other dogs crap.

On other news I love that my neighbour a few doors down in our built up residential street has pet geese :3: I assume its for eggs and best guard animals ever as apparently they don't get eaten.

Zenithbliss fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Apr 14, 2013

Wabznasm
Jul 19, 2006

Rof Rof

Fraction posted:

Something I've been starting to think about lately... when do you know if it's a dog's time?

Jess was walking into the walls a little coming toward me. She doesn't want a walk tonight, though she didnt go out yesterday. It took her a couple of minutes to eat a biscuit and I had to help her upstairs. But earlier today she was jumping round for food. She has hair raised on her back end and her sides look sucked in - its happened a couple of times now.

Vets on Monday but I don't know what they're gonna say.

How's she doing today? When my family had my first dog pts (also called Jess funnily enough) I was away at university, but it was at the point where standing up was too much of a struggle for her every single day, and she was having to be carried out to pee. IMO, she should have been pts before it got to that stage because she was definitely suffering as her bad days outnumbered the good.

It's awful, but ultimately you know her best and you will know what's best for her when the time comes.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

ClearlyDeluded posted:

How's she doing today? When my family had my first dog pts (also called Jess funnily enough) I was away at university, but it was at the point where standing up was too much of a struggle for her every single day, and she was having to be carried out to pee. IMO, she should have been pts before it got to that stage because she was definitely suffering as her bad days outnumbered the good.

It's awful, but ultimately you know her best and you will know what's best for her when the time comes.

Today she's pretty much back to normal again. She ate breakfast, doesn't look skeletal, hair isn't raised along her spine... I have absolutely no idea what makes it happen. It can't just be that she's tired--she'd eat her food if she was just tired. But if she was in pain, surely it'd be chronic? IDK. Still taking her in to the vets tomorrow if I can get an appt, see what they say.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fat Dio posted:

I expect every animal's name to be a literal description of said animal :colbert:

In that case, I'd like you to meet my cat Buttlicker and my dog Stanksalot. I also have two ferrets Carpet Ruiner and So Much Cancer (I know, these are such cliche ferret names).

Dogdoo 8
Sep 22, 2011
I know dogs love poop and that peeing is the greatest thing in the world for them, but I'm going to interrupt for a second because I don't quite know where else to post this. I still check my local shelter's website daily. Two dogs, one 7 and one 12 showed up on the site on Thursday. The description said that they were in a car accident with their owner, who died. My brother and his wife went down to the shelter Saturday afternoon, but they had been adopted hours ago :unsmith:. I was just really impressed that dogs that old went so quickly. I felt like I needed to say this somewhere but didn't know where else to do it.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fat Dio posted:

Major is getting renamed to Trainwreck or Clusterfuck.

Freckleman decided I was paying too much attention to the sheep so he somehow got his bottom jaw/soft palate to double in size overnight Friday. I rushed him to the vet who is stumped. She said to load him up with tons of benedryl and if that doesn't work we'll start fishing for a diagnosis. There's no sign of an abscess or foreign body or tooth problem but it's even bigger today so I guess I'm heading back in tomorrow with my wallet open.

Poor dude is miserable and doesn't want to eat or go out. He's just passed out in a corner drooling.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Poor dude is miserable and doesn't want to eat or go out. He's just passed out in a corner drooling.

Awww, poor Major! :(

Hope everything is okay..maybe he got stung or bit by something? Maybe even a spider bite?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Serella posted:

In that case, I'd like you to meet my cat Buttlicker and my dog Stanksalot. I also have two ferrets Carpet Ruiner and So Much Cancer (I know, these are such cliche ferret names).

I thought you'd call all ferrets Adrenal Disease, just because rats seem to have the slight hold on So Much Cancer right now.

Dogs: Snorer McSmooshface, poo poo Eater, 良い黒、茶色と白の狂気の犬, Protection Money.

Cats: Rageface "Hurricane" Murderpaws and Mewmew Beepbeep Happiness. My cats. :colbert: Not the ones I'm fostering.

Geckos: I ate my own poo poo thinking it was a cricket and it was DELICIOUS! and I've fallen off the side of the cage so many times I probably have brain damage.

Snakes: rear end in a top hat Snapfuck and I LOVE YOU.

IJ, Trainwreck just wants to be loved too. Just wait until he brings an active bee hive into the house. "Look, I brought you a present! Did you forget about the sheep yet?"

But really I hope he's better. :(

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I thought you'd call all ferrets Adrenal Disease, just because rats seem to have the slight hold on So Much Cancer right now.

Of my three that have had cancer, two were cases of adrenal and two were insulinoma. So Much Cancer would be poor little Pig, who is double-dipping.

Rats can keep Is That Just A Benign Fatty Tumor Or Actually Cancer, though.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Fat Dio posted:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

All my animals are getting old, I've never had a pet that has died of old age really (most succumbed to accidents or something like cancer) so it's hard watching them age. I love them all like crazy but all the time now I just wonder how much longer they're going to be with me.

Union's been on heart pills for years, she has an enlarged heart/murmur (I guess greyhounds get that a lot) but she's pretty healthy otherwise. She's slowed down a lot of course, and she's the youngest at 11, but probably the "oldest" in lifespan. I love her so much and if I somehow start thinking about what will happen when she dies I start to cry. :I

Godzilla is my old grey kitty, she's 16 now and has recently been put on kidney food and the same kind of heart pills as Union (just tiny versions). She used to be a scrapper and a terror, but now all she wants to do is cuddle up and sleep with me all the time. It's hard not to fall asleep if she's not there purring next to my face. She takes the stairs a little slower and she's lost weight in the last year, she's starting to look like she has old lady cat hips. She'll sit in one place and doze sometimes. If I can't get weight back on her in a month they're going to do a thyroid test.

Zoe is the princess baby cat but she's like 13 and she's just been diagnosed with an overactive thyroid (she lost a lot of weight faster than godzilla did) and so we'll see how those pills go. She still runs around like a butthead but I have to hope that the thyroid pills work. She adores Union and I dunno what she's gonna do if Union goes first.

Also all your animals getting old at once kind of makes a person broke, even with pet insurance. :[

I dunno what the point of that post was really! I guess I've just been feeling sad about them this week.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.
Sarabi would be Oh Look An Ear Infection or possibly Gross All Over.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fraction posted:

Today she's pretty much back to normal again. She ate breakfast, doesn't look skeletal, hair isn't raised along her spine... I have absolutely no idea what makes it happen. It can't just be that she's tired--she'd eat her food if she was just tired. But if she was in pain, surely it'd be chronic? IDK. Still taking her in to the vets tomorrow if I can get an appt, see what they say.

Sometimes with older dogs they can also start getting almost senile (aka Canine Cognitive Disorder) - the wall bumping triggered that idea. If you do go to the vet and everything else checks out fine, that could be something to consider. There are medications out there for this disease process, but afaik there isn't a magic bullet - all depends on dog's response.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I let Sadie out onto the balcony this morning under supervision as I refilled the birdfeeder and I must say her hiding skills are improving.

Not bad.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005

Fat Dio posted:

I hope Major and Jess are doing okay. :ohdear:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

HelloSailorSign posted:

Sometimes with older dogs they can also start getting almost senile (aka Canine Cognitive Disorder) - the wall bumping triggered that idea. If you do go to the vet and everything else checks out fine, that could be something to consider. There are medications out there for this disease process, but afaik there isn't a magic bullet - all depends on dog's response.

If she has this, wouldn't she constantly be walking unevenly, bumping gently into things, etc? It only happens sporadically. Would that also account for the weird raised hair on her back/spine and sucked in sides, too? :iiam:

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Greycious posted:

Awww, poor Major! :(

Hope everything is okay..maybe he got stung or bit by something? Maybe even a spider bite?

It's possible. He was trying to dig into a rabbit burrow on Friday and chomped through a lot of roots and things. He could have ended up with all sorts of pokey insects in his mouth in the process.

Dogman is going to just keep staring off into space and drooling.

My couch is so covered in slobber right now.

Anonybominous
Jun 30, 2012

Fat Dio posted:

Mine would be Babysitter. As in, "don't move my baby (a stuffed wand toy she's obsessed with) off the bed!". Changing the sheets is a twenty step process now, as she obsessively drags it back up onto the bed every time you move it. Yes, as I said before, Aurora has issues.

Edit: typo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fraction posted:

If she has this, wouldn't she constantly be walking unevenly, bumping gently into things, etc? It only happens sporadically. Would that also account for the weird raised hair on her back/spine and sucked in sides, too? :iiam:

Not necessarily all the time - some dogs only have signs at certain times of the day, usually evening/night. The tucked in sides and odd hair is definitely odd, especially since it goes away.

• Locked thread