Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

ethanol posted:

Also, how long is the wait after stepping in the recruiter's door? When would I need to abandon my job? I have 34 K in student debt. And 42 K in cash. Can I get the military to pay off my debt and keep my riches?

Having just gone through this: As long as you don't need some kind of waiver and your background check comes back clean, you could legitimately be at MEPS and taking your oath in a week or two. Yes you probably can get the military to pay off your student debt although I think they can only pay off the principle or something? They aren't going to confiscate your money. Depending on your job, that means you could be out for training in 2 months if all goes as smoothly as possible. I can't answer any of your other questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ethanol posted:

If I enlist in any branch, can I apply for warrant officer later with the hope (not gonna kill myself if it didn't work out) of flying a helo?

You can in the Army. In fact there is AFAIK, a rare enlistment option for flight training.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Nimmy posted:

I have a massive student debt load, which I'm told IS a problem for a clearance. As in, I'll still have a shitload even if I get that $65k. Couple years of paying it down and clearing up other debt, and I should be good to go on anything I want to do.

About to be one more.

I guarantee you don't have as much student loan debt as I do and I got a secret no problem.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nimmy posted:

Having just gone through this: As long as you don't need some kind of waiver and your background check comes back clean, you could legitimately be at MEPS and taking your oath in a week or two. Yes you probably can get the military to pay off your student debt although I think they can only pay off the principle or something? They aren't going to confiscate your money. Depending on your job, that means you could be out for training in 2 months if all goes as smoothly as possible. I can't answer any of your other questions.

Hmm. Well I'm gonna go ahead and wait 90 days so I don't piss hot.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Apr 13, 2013

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Pandasmores posted:

Hahahahaha, yeah they do in a way I guess. I'm probably heading down to monterey at some point probably this weekend.

They're always talking about running 5 miles down to the beach and poo poo while the Air Force can barely manage to get us together to do our pushups 3 times a week. my only complaint so far about the AF is that they don't allow people to smoke in uniform.

Anyway what are you coming through Monterey for?

ethanol posted:

Also, how long is the wait after stepping in the recruiter's door? When would I need to abandon my job? I have 34 K in student debt. And 42 K in cash. Can I get the military to pay off my debt and keep my riches?

I waited for something like 9 months between visiting the recruiter and going to my final MEPs before shipping, but I was only willing to sign for one job. A lot of people I talked to in basic talked about taking whatever job they could and leaving the next week.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Redfont posted:

I waited for something like 9 months between visiting the recruiter and going to my final MEPs before shipping, but I was only willing to sign for one job. A lot of people I talked to in basic talked about taking whatever job they could and leaving the next week.

When was your first meps trip? The air force is on the top of my list, if only because the quality of life seems way better and I feel better about the jobs, and with my BA, I think I have a fair shot at getting the job I want. Plus I'm obsessed with aircraft. I might gamble and do Army, just for that sweet, sweet chance I might fly a helo someday. My dad is a nuke fire safety expert (civilian) and he would be pretty happy if I did nuke, but I'm not sure how I feel about being cramped up in a boat. So the guaranteed job thing? It still exists? Seems like that stuff changes year to year. My family's biggest beef is that the guaranteed job is a 'scam'.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Apr 13, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Redfont posted:

They're always talking about running 5 miles down to the beach and poo poo while the Air Force can barely manage to get us together to do our pushups 3 times a week. my only complaint so far about the AF is that they don't allow people to smoke in uniform.

Anyway what are you coming through Monterey for?

Eh, my boss used to go to school there until he got hurt and they changed his job, I was interested in seeing the place, probably hit up the aquarium and poo poo. He gave me a list of restaurants to hit up if I ever got the chance to drive over there. I was meaning to leave yesterday right after work, but the assholes at the hospital decided they were going to pull us to clean a barracks most of us don't even live in. Plus I'm a bit interested in the linguistics school, if I were to stay in the Navy it would be to do that.

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

ethanol posted:

When was your first meps trip? The air force is on the top of my list, if only because the quality of life seems way better and I feel better about the jobs, and with my BA, I think I have a fair shot at getting the job I want. Plus I'm obsessed with aircraft. I might gamble and do Army, just for that sweet, sweet chance I might fly a helo someday. My dad is a nuke fire safety expert (civilian) and he would be pretty happy if I did nuke, but I'm not sure how I feel about being cramped up in a boat. So the guaranteed job thing? It still exists? Seems like that stuff changes year to year. My family's biggest beef is that the guaranteed job is a 'scam'.
I want to say that my first MEPs trip was at least a month after I had been going to the recruiter, but I don't remember it too well. Which job are you looking at?
As for the guaranteed job thing, basically you write down 10 jobs that you're willing to join as, and whenever one opens up, your recruiter will call you and have you sign a contract for it. I listed the required jobs, but I made it clear that even if any of the others opened up, I wasn't interested in signing for them. They will suggest that it's possible for you to sign for one job, go to basic, and switch jobs at some point if it opens up at any point, but I wasn't comfortable with risking it.

Pandasmores posted:

Eh, my boss used to go to school there until he got hurt and they changed his job, I was interested in seeing the place, probably hit up the aquarium and poo poo. He gave me a list of restaurants to hit up if I ever got the chance to drive over there. I was meaning to leave yesterday right after work, but the assholes at the hospital decided they were going to pull us to clean a barracks most of us don't even live in. Plus I'm a bit interested in the linguistics school, if I were to stay in the Navy it would be to do that.

That's cool. I haven't been to the aquarium myself yet, but I've heard good things about it. It's an alright town, I actually live about half an hour outside it, so I don't really explore through it too much, but there's a nice hookah place/bar downtown that's cool to visit. All the interesting-looking restaurants that I've seen so far have all been down on Cannery Row.

also, do you mean you'd want to stay in the Navy to be a student at DLI for the linguist job, or work there in some other capacity? Being a permanent staff here seems like it would be pretty cool even if they are a little understaffed.

Beria
Nov 13, 2011

ethanol posted:

As far as the Navy goes, you sign a contract for your particular job, called a rate. you complete boot camp then move on to your a school, and will be "rated," as that job, after that you go to your first command, or any additional schooling your rate may need you to do.

Two things to avoid: do not go undesignated, that is no rate at all, and you will hate your life

Don't go nuke, any nuke could tell you why, you will hate your life

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Thanks for the sweet info guys, I'm soaking it up like a sponge. I don't know what jobs I'd sign for yet, but I'm glad to hear there are no obligations before you get the call that there's a slot.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Redfont posted:

That's cool. I haven't been to the aquarium myself yet, but I've heard good things about it. It's an alright town, I actually live about half an hour outside it, so I don't really explore through it too much, but there's a nice hookah place/bar downtown that's cool to visit. All the interesting-looking restaurants that I've seen so far have all been down on Cannery Row.

also, do you mean you'd want to stay in the Navy to be a student at DLI for the linguist job, or work there in some other capacity? Being a permanent staff here seems like it would be pretty cool even if they are a little understaffed.

Be a student at DLI, possibly even an instructor if I got the chance for it. I can't do it in my capacity as a corpsman because there's no slots down there for psych techs.

I'd probably hate being there as a regular corpsman anyway, considering how all medical is dictated by Army regulation it screws over some of the guys that go through that school that aren't even a part of that branch.

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!

ethanol posted:

I'm waiting for a ship date for the air force right now so my memory of meps is fairly clear. With the air force, after your physical screening, you are given a list of jobs that you're qualified for. When you get back to your recruiter they, like others have said, have you pick ten jobs that you would want and when a slot opens, you can jump at it or wait for exactly what you want. I wanted to work on aircraft, but I was kindly informed at meps that i'm colorblind and completely disqualified for almost all mechanical jobs. As far as a guaranteed job my recruiter doesn't really like to guarantee a job for anyone unless it's for para-rescue, eod, security forces, or some other high demand job. Your mileage may vary.

Does anyone have any experience or can tell me a bit more about the broadcast journalist job? I passed the audition and will probably sign the contract on monday.

ohstone fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 14, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ohstone posted:

I'm waiting for a ship date for the air force right now so my memory of meps is fairly clear. With the air force, after your physical screening, you are given a list of jobs that you're qualified for. When you get back to your recruiter they, like others have said, have you pick ten jobs that you would want and when a slot opens, you can jump at it or wait for exactly what you want. I wanted to work on aircraft, but I was kindly informed at meps that i'm colorblind and completely disqualified for almost all mechanical jobs. As far as a guaranteed job my recruiter doesn't really like to guarantee a job for anyone unless it's for para-rescue, eod, security forces, or some other high demand job. Your mileage may vary.

Does anyone have any experience or can tell me a bit more about the broadcast journalist job? I passed the audition and will probably sign the contract on monday.

You didn't know you were colorlind? That's scary. Also the guaranteed job thing,you have to ask for several jobs, wait, and then pick one before shipping, or else go in undesignated, which I would never, ever do. So how can the recruiter affect this? You mean it's impossible to get the job you want without being patient? I'm interested in intelligence jobs, or avionics/aircraft tech jobs which might prove useful later in life. Also interested in air traffic control, linguistics, and extremely interested in UAV related jobs as well. None of these are high demand jobs.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Apr 14, 2013

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)

Pandasmores posted:

Be a student at DLI, possibly even an instructor if I got the chance for it. I can't do it in my capacity as a corpsman because there's no slots down there for psych techs.
It's definitely the way to go if you want to speak another language and quickly, it's just too bad they can't spare more time to train people in the language before sending them to the second half of the training; learning a middle eastern language in 48 weeks is ridiculous.

ethanol posted:

Also the guaranteed job thing,you have to ask for several jobs, wait, and then pick one before shipping, or else go in undesignated, which I would never, ever do. So how can the recruiter affect this? You mean it's impossible to get the job you want without being patient? I'm interested in intelligence jobs, or avionics/aircraft tech jobs which might prove useful later in life. Also interested in air traffic control, linguistics, and extremely interested in UAV related jobs as well. None of these are high demand jobs.

Linguist is always a critically-manned field in the AF, or at least that's what I keep hearing. The school seems to be fairly full up at the moment dorm-wise, but I can see how there's always a need for someone who speaks foreign languages. If you have any interest in that field, I don't really know anything about the actual job, but I can tell you about AF basic and what the tech school is going to be like.

Also the job selection works like a draft. You sign up and go on a waiting list, and every month a list is released that says "we have x spots for y job," your recruiter will put you into one of those slots and then give you a contract for it. I suppose it depends on who your recruiter is on how well this goes.

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!

ethanol posted:

You didn't know you were colorlind? That's scary. Also the guaranteed job thing,you have to ask for several jobs, wait, and then pick one before shipping, or else go in undesignated, which I would never, ever do. So how can the recruiter affect this? You mean it's impossible to get the job you want without being patient? I'm interested in intelligence jobs, or avionics/aircraft tech jobs which might prove useful later in life. Also interested in air traffic control, linguistics, and extremely interested in UAV related jobs as well. None of these are high demand jobs.

Linguist keeps popping up as an option every month where i'm at so as long as you pass the dlab(the test to qualify) it doesn't seem like you would have a problem scoring that job. They give you a test for colorblindness and if you miss four or more you are considered to not have normal color vision. I've never noticed before but what they say goes.

unnamed
May 5, 2005
charooga
How impossible is it to get in (Navy or Army) as prior service currently? I'm guessing there's approximately no hope of it, but having been in the Marine Corps I got out as an E-4, so I have a shred of hope that the rank exchange rate makes it less of a big deal. Re-enlistment code 1A, honorable discharge, AFQT 99 and (was) qualified for anything, no other barriers to enlistment that I'm aware of.

I was a firefighter (7051, school was the DoD fire academy at Goodfellow AFB), but I'm sure ABH/12M/whatever other firefighter jobs are filled until the end of time. I'm mainly looking at green-side Corpsman or 68W, if there's any hope of getting a new MOS. Also have active EMT certification, which I think counts for the Army, if that makes any difference at all.

unnamed fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 14, 2013

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

unnamed posted:

How impossible is it to get in (Navy or Army) as prior service currently? I'm guessing there's approximately no hope of it, but having been in the Marine Corps I got out as an E-4, so I have a shred of hope that the rank exchange rate makes it less of a big deal. Re-enlistment code 1A, honorable discharge, AFQT 99 and (was) qualified for anything, no other barriers to enlistment that I'm aware of.

I was a firefighter (7051, school was the DoD fire academy at Goodfellow AFB), but I'm sure ABH/12M/whatever other firefighter jobs are filled until the end of time. I'm mainly looking at green-side Corpsman or 68W, if there's any hope of getting a new MOS. Also have active EMT certification, which I think counts for the Army, if that makes any difference at all.

You can't quite pick to be a green-side corpsman, even if you do make it into the Navy as one. I have a friend that even had FMTB (the training command to be an FMF doc) written into his contract prior to leaving for boot camp. He has, in all 5 years of his Naval career, been blue side working in the maternal infant unit and multi-service wards for Japan and Lemoore. Even if you get in, the orders that go to division are limited.

As far as going in prior service, I hear they aren't taking in anyone, coming from friends that left the Army in the hopes of joining the Navy and AF.

Why not use your cert to get hired as a contractor for a hospital as an EMT or something? There's also quite a few dudes that get contracted as federal fire fighters to this base (it's a Naval Air Station though, so there might be certain rules for the reasoning of that for them).

RedFont

Yeah, I heard from my HM2 that when he went through that school he had to immerse himself into everything about the culture to get Farsi going for him. He got himself a hookah, smoked with the instructors, would stay extra time after class practicing and almost failed out. As he was starting the second phase he got into a bad accident that hosed up his hands and leg, he'd be in holding for too long to reclass, plus the guy in charge over him hated his guts. Now he's a corpsman and somewhat wishes he could have stayed as a linguist.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 14, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

ohstone posted:

Linguist keeps popping up as an option every month where i'm at so as long as you pass the dlab(the test to qualify) it doesn't seem like you would have a problem scoring that job. They give you a test for colorblindness and if you miss four or more you are considered to not have normal color vision. I've never noticed before but what they say goes.

Where can I find out what jobs are popping up?

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
I think I've actually heard about that guy, was he nearly through the course when he got hurt?

There's a sergeant in my class who was potentially looking at the same thing, he has a bad knee and for a while he thought he was going to have to get major surgery. And at this point, with the draw-down, it's apparently very hard to get a reclass instead of a discharge, so failing out of a language just recently went from "well I can't learn a language, at least I can get another intel job" to "hope I can find a civilian job," so that's lovely. Especially since their Farsi curriculum is kind of being piloted right now, so it's sort of horrible in certain spots. But lovely homework system aside, there are worse things than getting paid to sit in a classroom.

E: The man below me is correct about the DLAB and MEPs.

Redfont fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 14, 2013

ohstone
Jul 5, 2007
My phone ate my liver!

ethanol posted:

Where can I find out what jobs are popping up?

The recruiter gets all the information and i'm not sure they would give it to you unless you were in the dep. But you could probably take the dlab the first time you go to meps.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Pandasmores posted:

There's also quite a few dudes that get contracted as federal fire fighters to this base (it's a Naval Air Station though, so there might be certain rules for the reasoning of that for them).

Every AFB I've ever seen at least a third to half of the firefighters on base were GS/WG/whatever federal employees. On some bases, like AETC training bases, it's closer to all of them I believe.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

iyaayas01 posted:

Every AFB I've ever seen at least a third to half of the firefighters on base were GS/WG/whatever federal employees. On some bases, like AETC training bases, it's closer to all of them I believe.

drat, i thought you AF cats had your own enlisted version of firemen or something. With the Navy, every sailor is a fire fighter :smug:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Pandasmores posted:

drat, i thought you AF cats had your own enlisted version of firemen or something. With the Navy, every sailor is a fire fighter :smug:

We do, but like a lot of other support functions as the years have gone by it's been shifted more and more to federal civil service.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

A few more questions about the ASVAB. Nothing like the clerk selling my a ASVAB practice book telling me how well she did on the test in high school just to get a half day... me with my BA... well I guess I can expect a lot of that business.

Anyways - Can I take schedule the test and be 100% sure I won't be drug tested at the same time? And will I be taking the computerized version or the pencil and paper?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

A few more questions about the ASVAB. Nothing like the clerk selling my a ASVAB practice book telling me how well she did on the test in high school just to get a half day... me with my BA... well I guess I can expect a lot of that business.

Anyways - Can I take schedule the test and be 100% sure I won't be drug tested at the same time? And will I be taking the computerized version or the pencil and paper?

If you have reason to believe you won't be able to pass the drug test then you are a dirtbag that shouldn't even be attempting to join the glorious armed forces of America Just wait a bit and try to stay off the drugs enough to where they won't pop and you're in .

The test you take depends on the station. Mine was 100% computerized. You can find those asvab manuals online for free btw.

v Idk man, i keep hearing more and more of these dudes trying that synthetic poo poo and them not telling anyone at the command. We just had a guy kicked out that smoked spice, got tested, didn't pop, and the only reason he admitted to it was because he started freaking out that it fried his brains. Everyone here was stumped, but then laughed because he beat the test and then came forward.

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 15, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

You will take the computerized version.

Yes you will take the ASVAB before MEPS where you are drug test. But you should probably accept the fact that your drug days are over.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

ethanol posted:

I went down on a Wednesday and took the ASVAB and they put me up in a hotel overnight and did the physical on Thursday. I'd just hold off for a few weeks on starting anything official because once you get in your recruiter might surprise you with "guess what, I got you in for the physical today too because you said you had nothing to do!" Just deflect until you're sure you can pass a piss test. Say you aren't prepared for the ASVAB yet or something.

ASVAB is nothing to worry about, it's way easier than the college entrance exams, and if you've taken something like the GMAT or LSAT or foreign service exam it is waaaaaaaay easier than that. Your study guide is going to have stuff like factoring, reciprocals, and pretty elementary vocabulary. There's some weird stuff on there, presumably for technical jobs, but only math and English goes into the score they give you.

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 15, 2013

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Well in May I'm going to go see about getting accepted into the Army OCS enlistment option. If that doesn't work out I guess I'll enlist as an E-4, I'm getting out of Florida one way or another. I'm assuming Afghanistan will be winding down by the time I'm done with training, what kind of units are involved in Africa? Any way to volunteer for such an assignment? If at all possible I'd like to do something overseas.

Also, how much weight do letters of recommendation have towards an OCS packet? My dad is a retired O-6 so I know quite a few senior officers willing to write one for me. I'm hoping a 3.4 International Relations BA, max PT score, No debt, no health issues, and some good letters of recommendation might sway them to accept me. Is being an Eagle Scout worth mentioning? I don't really have any extracurricular activities other than going to Foreign Affairs type speakers that come to my school and some volunteer work.

Mustang fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 15, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

e: redacted

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Apr 18, 2013

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT

ethanol posted:

I don't give a poo poo about smoking pot ever again, I just happened to be smoking joints with my sister in law recently and no way in hell I'm gonna risk THC popping up on a government exam, so I'm giving it a nice long 3 months before I test. That should be enough time to really be serious about signing too.

You should be cool then. If your recruiter tries to schedule you for a MEPS in the time frame you would fail a test just tell him. Mine worked with me and made up a reason I had to delay. Enjoy what freedom you have left, just don't gently caress up your military stint for a few hours of being high.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

You should be cool then. If your recruiter tries to schedule you for a MEPS in the time frame you would fail a test just tell him. Mine worked with me and made up a reason I had to delay. Enjoy what freedom you have left, just don't gently caress up your military stint for a few hours of being high.

And um... *ahem* I certainly would never advise you to commit fraudulent enlistment, but it makes it a lot easier if you deny anything that can't be proven.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

What worries me more is what how far they dig during any potential security clearance. Some of my college associates were big time stoners.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 15, 2013

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ethanol posted:

What worries me more is what how far they dig during any potential security clearance. Some of my college associates were big time stoners.

Don't list college buddies on the SF-86. Almost everyone who joins the military knew of or had friends who liked to smoke weed. I never saw anyone denied a clearance because their friends used to get high.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

ethanol posted:

Having recently smoked weed, you're going to have issues with a background investigation.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.
Been looking into poo poo tonight because I go down to MEPS Monday for Tuesday job selection and oath. Thinking 46R, 46Q, 74D, 12B, 19D, 13B, 19K probably in that order. I didn't see my ASVAB breakdown, so I'm not sure if I'm qualified for the two science ones. Have absolutely no problem with the combat jobs, just would prefer to pick something... less dangerous I guess. I imagine it's easier to be a lifer in non-combat ops, which is what I intend at this point. Should also have the ability to go all over the place in the public affairs jobs, which is a huge reason why I want to join the army.

Anyone with good or bad experiences on any of those?

Nimmy fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 15, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

DoktorLoken posted:

Having recently smoked weed, you're going to have issues with a background investigation.

Not sure how that's gonna happen, if I test negative. How exactly will they ascertain that I used to smoke weed? None of my friends are gonna share that info with anybody. Nobody else knows. I'm not gonna lie and say I've never tried it either. They are examining for dependencies on drugs (which can illustrate poor moral character or potential blackmail) among a long list of other stuff. I'm not dependent on any drug, at all. I have never admitted it to a doctor, never been reprimanded by authorities.. etc. A clear drug test should prove all this. Plus it's loving weed, and I was in college, getting my degree, which I did. Not like I was cradling my needle arm in the bedroom spending my rent and food money on the next fix. Nobody who knows me would call me a drug addict, ever. Anyways, a security clearance is pretty far down the road, and not on my list of things to worry about.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Apr 15, 2013

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

ethanol posted:

Not sure how that's gonna happen, if I test negative. How exactly will they ascertain that I used to smoke weed? None of my friends are gonna share that info over the phone. Nobody else knows. I'm not gonna lie and say I've never tried it either. They are examining for dependencies on drugs. I'm not dependent on any drug, at all. A clear drug test should prove that. Plus it's loving weed. Not like I was cradling my needle arm in the bedroom.

You don't understand how security clearance background investigations work. They aren't examining for dependencies on drugs (well they are, but that isn't the key point); they're examining for discrepancies/lies. If all you are going for is a secret they probably (emphasis on the probably) won't conduct any/many in person investigations with your acquaintances, but if you are going for a TS I can guarantee you that they will talk to people, in person, under threat of perjury, who you did not list on your SF-86 and who you have not talked to in years. They will ask for other people who knew you well during their interview with the people you listed on your SF-86, and if they get a hint of a lie/discrepancy they will chase that down. The SSBI is no joke.

And while you are correct that it is just "loving weed" and that isn't going to be as disqualifying as hard drugs, the fact still remains that having recently smoked weed (i.e., within the past year) you are going to have issues with a background investigation. That's just the way it is.

Hekk posted:

Don't list college buddies on the SF-86. Almost everyone who joins the military knew of or had friends who liked to smoke weed. I never saw anyone denied a clearance because their friends used to get high.

You will have to list people from that period in your life; you can't just go "welp, I was in college for four years, you don't want to talk to anyone from that time in my life." Now if you can do that without using college buddies, without using family (because you can't use family on the "people who know you well" section of the SF-86), and without reusing people you used on other parts of the SF-86, more power to you, but that seems kind of difficult.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

ethanol posted:

I'm not gonna lie and say I've never tried it either.

Your recruiter will hate you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hmm, that's certainly intimidating, but I can't think of anybody who know me well enough to say I smoked more than the few times I admit besides my closest friends. Why would my recruiter hate me? Seems like people get clearances with more trouble than this.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

ethanol posted:

Hmm, that's certainly intimidating, but I can't think of anybody who know me well enough to say I smoked more than the few times I admit besides my closest friends. Why would my recruiter hate me? Seems like people get clearances with more trouble than this.

recruiters hate their jobs, straight and simple. your admittance to it (especially because it's not already in your medical record with the government since you don't have one) is going to cause him to have to get waivers and poo poo for you, limiting some of the jobs you're able to do once you've taken the asvab, and they're usually the ones that need to get filled up the most/land sweet numbers for the office.

Honestly, the only time that I said "yes" to anything on the question form pertained to my medical record because I was a dependent before I became a sponsor, and even then my recruiter gave me poo poo. Paid off only because the doctor screening that day recognized my last name and decided to look me up in the system.

TLDR: Do whatever you want, but saying no won't hurt because they'll never know.

• Locked thread