Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

the posted:

I don't really remember them being that bad.

Upon re-watch I don't think they're that bad either. It's just that once you get a few episodes in everything hits its stride and you get Batiatus and the ludus intrigue in full swing which just rockets the show into the stratosphere and keeps going.

Anyway, it's going to be hard to let this show go. No idea how I'm going to fill the hole it has left. I really like Starz after this, and I'm hoping Da Vinci's Demon's turns out well, but I haven't had the chance to catch it just yet. Also hopefully the Caesar spin-off is greenlit as well. It just seems like such an obvious next move at this point. I can't imagine them not jumping at the opportunity.

vvv Yeah, I'm looking forward to that too. Any word on how long we'll be waiting for it?

e: Looks like DeKnight is hoping as soon as 2014.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Incursion will likely fill the hole left open after Jupiter's cock rammed true.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Azure_Horizon posted:

Incursion will likely fill the hole left open after Jupiter's cock rammed true.

never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5MS7MCHRjM

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I wonder if he'll be bringing any of the Spartacus cast over.

Ok so I just want to see Commandant RapeFace flying around on a giant space battleship, but getting random cameos from the Spartacus cast could be fun.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

AbstractNapper posted:

It's really weird how in the end I feel that both Andy and Liam were the one and only Spartacus (I don't know if this makes sense).

Also, I probably was imagining things, but there seemed to be certain shots and angles of Liam in the finale (especially where he is soaked in blood and dying), that he looked eerily like Andy (or at least I thought so for a second). Seeing them in direct contrast in the end credits and in that gif, I don't know what I was thinking. Maybe, it's just my brain finally fully accepting how great Liam also played the part.

I mentioned this earlier in the thread and went looking for an example. Here's one:

Reminds me of Spartacus Andy in the pits. Andy had short hair and it was usually wet with sweat, water or blood :black101:

hillaryous clinton fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 14, 2013

Chef Bromden
Jun 4, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

So that's why Spartacus wore snake armor all season! I was wondering if there was some significance to his sigil.

There is a basis in fact for this as well. Legend has it that one night a snake coiled itself around Spartacus' face as he slept. His wife was a priestess of Dionysus, and snakes are pretty important to followers of Dionysus, so she interpreted the snake as a lucky sign, an omen that her husband would become powerful. After the escape from the ludus her preaching and prophecies may have contributed to Spartacus' leadership and ability to recruit slaves by lending him a mythical quality. Dionysus was used both as a patron saint (of sorts) for Thracians and the poor and enslaved of Rome, so it was a pretty important part of Spartacus' identity.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

-Blackadder- posted:

Upon re-watch I don't think they're that bad either. It's just that once you get a few episodes in everything hits its stride and you get Batiatus and the ludus intrigue in full swing which just rockets the show into the stratosphere and keeps going.

Pretty much. I'll agree the pilot was poorly paced (and had some of the cheesiest dialogue/acting) but it had some pretty memorable imagery. The choreography was absolutely spot-on too :colbert:.

:nws: below

hillaryous clinton fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 14, 2013

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I really hope they make a spin-off following Caesar.

I'd rather have a kickstarter to fund HBO's Rome movie. :hist101:

Hemp Knight
Sep 26, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

I mentioned it a page or two ago, but it's actually one of the things Romans were known for. Their combat formations were deeper than was common in ancient warfare, which let them continually keep fresh troops at the front. In general, they'd have younger, less experienced troops at the front and veterans in the back. They'd let their opponents tire themselves beating on the new guys, then rotate in the more experienced back line. By the time the veterans were getting fatigued, the inexperienced troops would have had time to rest and be ready to move back up.

Legionaries were also (probably) trained to basically just stay behind their shields and jab with their swords, which frustrated the ever loving poo poo out of cultures that placed importance on things like individual skill and valor in combat.

Edit- The reason we probably didn't see more of it in Spartacus is because it's an absolutely boring as hell way to fight. In general, ancient warfare was about pushing and shoving and getting the other guys tired enough that they'd run away, which is when the real killing started.

The opening battle in the Rome TV series is a great example of this, actually. Theres 3 or 4 lines of legionaries, and each line has about 30 seconds in the front line before a signal is given and the second line moves into to replace the first, which then moves to the back.

http://youtu.be/uocQ8t9K9FA

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

I was really shocked to see Kore crucified. The whole episode was heartbreaking and Liam really loving knocked it out of the park. The battered and exhausted and covered from head to toe in gore murderous gazes were some of the best moments in the series to me. In my head I had a great deal of vague worries about how Spartacus would end and how much it would suck and be hard to pull off but every second of this was flawless.

I'm trying to get my girlfriend into the series but man are the first three episodes an impediment. I mean, I love em, but there are a shitload of judgement when a show as visually brash as this does its thing.

I was expecting that as soon as she said he was a 'good man, who does what he must'. She was a runaway slave, and he was a man of principal.

I am re-watching the first season again and I dislike the first 3 episodes less than before, there is so much subtle stuff laced in them. They really do set a solid foundation for the rest of the season and resonate through the others.

EDIT:

I mean cmon, even him reaching for the strap his wife wore for him that was just out of reach before Spartacus was dragged off in the ludus and again it just being out of reach when he was pinned by spears infront of Crassus.

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Apr 14, 2013

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PittTheElder posted:

In terms of GIF requests, can we get the shots of the legionaries rotating the front line?

Blackchamber posted:

Giffing goons, can someone do the part where Ceaser is grinning behind a wall of Romans during the unfortunate fight with Gannicus? Of course I think he was a punk and got his butt handed to him... but that smug-face.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Thank you kind sir! I hate the jerk but drat thats some good TV.

DrinkMoreBeer
Jan 23, 2006

by toby
One thing I loved about Caesar was his facial expressions. He was always so gleeful about fighting and murdering. The actor did a fantastic job, and I wish he and Gannicus had a proper 1v1 fight.

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

maninacape posted:

Pretty much. I'll agree the pilot was poorly paced (and had some of the cheesiest dialogue/acting) but it had some pretty memorable imagery. The choreography was absolutely spot-on too :colbert:.

You're gonna want to NWS that. Not that you should need to considering it's on a page of gored bodies but yeah, somebody's gonna report it.

The first time I really liked Liam was this episode, then it was gone. Then they sucker punched you in the gut with Andy in the credits.

Jabbu
Aug 1, 2005

GODWIN'S LAW? WHAT THE FUCK IS GODWIN'S LAW YOU FUCKING CRYPTO-NAZI? WHY DON'T YOU STOP RAPING CHILDREN FOR FIVE MINUTES, PUT DOWN THAT GLASS OF PUPPY BLOOD AND JUST ADMIT THAT YOU'RE A FUCKING MONSTER

DrinkMoreBeer posted:

One thing I loved about Caesar was his facial expressions. He was always so gleeful about fighting and murdering. The actor did a fantastic job, and I wish he and Gannicus had a proper 1v1 fight.

His expressions were very well done. His smile was one of those smiles you give to some rookie trying to compete against you in something you're incredibly skilled at. One of those "Haha...are you loving serious? Look at this guy...No, no...go ahead swing...pffft..Awful" looks. Good blend of condescending, arrogant, taunting, relieved, and joyful.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Jabbu posted:

His expressions were very well done. His smile was one of those smiles you give to some rookie trying to compete against you in something you're incredibly skilled at. One of those "Haha...are you loving serious? Look at this guy...No, no...go ahead swing...pffft..Awful" looks. Good blend of condescending, arrogant, taunting, relieved, and joyful.

Which was amusing, considering the fact that Gannicus, Crixus, and Agron all sort of kicked his rear end before lucky circumstances let him escape.

He was pretty drat :smug: at times, and that combined with him being on the wrong side made him easy to dislike, but the more I think about it, Caesar actually seemed like a pretty good dude. A significant amount of his time was spent trolling Tiberius, and besides Naevia, the only major(ish) character we saw him kill was Nemetes, who was a traitorous dickbag anyway. And while I realize that he had a personal stake in it as the person who had made the trade, I thought it was pretty interesting that he was defending Kore and was willing to yell at Crassus about his late son's rapiness.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

Alchenar posted:

I've said it earlier, but I think that the low budget works in their favour - they haven't made a TV show, they've made theatre with a CGI stage. Beneath all the fake blood and the choreographed action they've really nailed how to tell an old-fashioned character tragedy in a way that nobody really tells anymore because people want happy endings.

I really like this post and the idea of Spartacus as a theater production more than a television show. Well said.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Scuzzywuffit posted:

A significant amount of his time was spent trolling Tiberius, and besides Naevia, the only major(ish) character we saw him kill was Nemetes, who was a traitorous dickbag anyway. And while I realize that he had a personal stake in it as the person who had made the trade, I thought it was pretty interesting that he was defending Kore and was willing to yell at Crassus about his late son's rapiness.

I really liked the way Caesar and Crassus were presented. Neither one came off as a complete villain or as irredeemably evil. They were just two ambitious dudes who happened to be working for the shittier team, and who both did some lovely things as a result. Crassus was honestly a pretty tragic character.

Tokubetsu posted:

I really like this post and the idea of Spartacus as a theater production more than a television show. Well said.

Yeah, I meant to respond to that earlier too since it sums up almost everything I loved about this show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paradoxish posted:

I really liked the way Caesar and Crassus were presented. Neither one came off as a complete villain or as irredeemably evil. They were just two ambitious dudes who happened to be working for the shittier team, and who both did some lovely things as a result. Crassus was honestly a pretty tragic character.

Yep that is why I really liked this season. Unlike the other seasons in which the villains seemed to love being evil for the sake of being evil. You felt that they deserved what they got.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

Tokubetsu posted:

Alchenar posted:

I've said it earlier, but I think that the low budget works in their favour - they haven't made a TV show, they've made theatre with a CGI stage. Beneath all the fake blood and the choreographed action they've really nailed how to tell an old-fashioned character tragedy in a way that nobody really tells anymore because people want happy endings.

This is actually one of the things that makes it a bit hard for me to go from this to watching something like Game of Thrones. Because of the inherent theater-ness of the fights in Spartacus, they're able to put a lot more emotion into the fights. While the combat on Game of Thrones is probably more realistic, you also have a lot of things like the extended sword fighting sequence from last week where it just doesn't really look (to me, anyway) like they're trying to hit or kill each other. After watching something like Spartacus, it just looks a bit timid to me.

This probably has a lot to do with the slow-motion, actually. Having seen a couple of on-set videos from Spartacus, it seems like a lot of their ability to make it look like the people are swinging really hard comes from the assumption that they're slowing the shot down more than they actually are.

As for it being a theater production, I'd say the best example of this is probably still the shield jump from the first season. It's an impossible leap, and watching it, you know it's an impossible leap, but it's also a conscious choice to forgo some of that believability in favor of some downstairs-jumping-to-upstairs symbolism that just wouldn't have felt the same if they'd decided to favor realism and had Spartacus just run up the goddamn stairs like a normal person.

Paradoxish posted:

This is undoubtedly one of those instances where I'm forgetting something major that completely hamstrings my argument, but the more I think about it, I don't think we really saw Caesar do anything that we haven't also seen Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, or Agron do at another point on the show. They maneuvered, murdered, and taunted people by the absolute shitload, but in this case Caesar happened to be maneuvering, murdering, and taunting people that you knew and cared about.

The only possible exception springing to my mind would be carnifecina, but I associated that more with Crassus than Caesar. At no point did they ever make it seem like any of it was his idea. Except, of course, for the oysters :smug:

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Scuzzywuffit posted:

This is undoubtedly one of those instances where I'm forgetting something major that completely hamstrings my argument, but the more I think about it, I don't think we really saw Caesar do anything that we haven't also seen Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus, or Agron do at another point on the show. They maneuvered, murdered, and taunted people by the absolute shitload, but in this case Caesar happened to be maneuvering, murdering, and taunting people that you knew and cared about.

The only possible exception springing to my mind would be carnifecina, but I associated that more with Crassus than Caesar. At no point did they ever make it seem like any of it was his idea. Except, of course, for the oysters :smug:

Well I think motivation is the biggest difference. Spartacus and crew are trying to give freedom to slaves and fight off the more powerful Roman army whereas Caesar is just in this to pay off some debt and ride Crassus' coattails to fame and glory.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Boogoose posted:

It's strange how shows like Game of Thrones get all the critical acclaim and huge budgets, but something that was initially dismissed as 300 The Show packs into one episode more drama and emotion than an entire season the former. The season finales of all three full seasons of Spartacus have easily been the best I have ever seen. Television is there to entertain you after all, and Spartacus definitely did that.

While I love Spartacus it wasn't even as good as Rome, which is like the 5th or 6th best HBO show.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I think Spartacus is "as good" as Rome or GoT - it's just in a different genre, which kind of makes the comparisons iffy.

Spartacus resembles Oz more than anything - Oz was basically a Shakespearean play set inside a prison, and Spartacus is an odd play-opera mix set around battle-history. While Spartacus does share elements with Rome and GoT, the approach is entirely different, making me watch them in completely different mindsets. It's kind of similar to how The Shield feels nothing like The Wire and a lot more like Breaking Bad, even though The Shield/Wire are both "cop shows" technically.

Given that it's most like Oz, I would say that it tops it for various reasons (the main being that it is a lot more focused and doesn't stay past its welcome).

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

nate fisher posted:

While I love Spartacus it wasn't even as good as Rome, which is like the 5th or 6th best HBO show.

I think they are on equal footing for different reasons. Spartacus definitely does emotional gravitas more often and of higher quality than Rome. Rome however looked better (mostly due to its costs), and Spartacus had no Vorenus/Pullo equivalent.

That said, "Victory" was a series finale on a totally different level above Rome's.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Darko posted:

Given that it's most like Oz, I would say that it tops it for various reasons (the main being that it is a lot more focused and doesn't stay past its welcome).

It has other things in common with Oz too such as the Caesar wine jug scene.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Darko posted:

I think Spartacus is "as good" as Rome or GoT - it's just in a different genre, which kind of makes the comparisons iffy.

Spartacus resembles Oz more than anything - Oz was basically a Shakespearean play set inside a prison, and Spartacus is an odd play-opera mix set around battle-history. While Spartacus does share elements with Rome and GoT, the approach is entirely different, making me watch them in completely different mindsets. It's kind of similar to how The Shield feels nothing like The Wire and a lot more like Breaking Bad, even though The Shield/Wire are both "cop shows" technically.

It also did not have magic aging pills and photo shoots on death row.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Oz owns, one of the greatest of all time. I'll admit I got pretty tired of seeing Christopher Meloni's penis every 10 minutes. Made watching SVU a little awkward after that.

hillaryous clinton
May 11, 2003

super dynamic
Taco Defender

Scuzzywuffit posted:

I don't know where you're coming from. He personally crucified Agron and gleefully watching Gannicus get crucified. The writers, and Todd Lasance with his perfectly smug expressions (who did an A+ job at that), deliberately made Casear out to be quite the sadist. Basically he was better than Nemetes, which isn't saying much.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

It also did not have magic aging pills and photo shoots on death row.

Counterpoint, Spartacus would have only been improved by a musical episode.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I would pay a ridiculous amount of money for the dvd box set to include an "Inglorious Basterds" bonus finale in which Crixus+Varro+Oenomaus+everyone else come riding down from the heavens and together the rebels take Rome.

Scuzzywuffit
Feb 5, 2012

maninacape posted:

I don't know where you're coming from. He personally crucified Agron and gleefully watching Gannicus get crucified. The writers, and Todd Lasance with his perfectly smug expressions (who did an A+ job at that), deliberately made Casear out to be quite the sadist. Basically he was better than Nemetes, which isn't saying much.

Yeeeeeaaaaaaaah the crucifying Agron thing. Like I said, I knew there was some sort of major dick move I'd managed to forget about. Whoops.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Crucifying a slave doesn't really make you a sadist or evil, at least at that time. Also Caesar showed compassion when he met that tortured/suicidal Roman woman.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
If Crixus hadn't of hosed off with half the army, would Spartacus had stood a decent chance of destroying Crassus's armies? Obviously he would have been wiped out by Pompey immediately afterwards, but that's besides the point. Speaking in actual history terms, by the way.

Also, I don't think Caesar actually meant to kill Agron. Pretty sure it was simply a way to try and get him to talk/scare the other slaves. A high-ranking official is a good bargaining chip, even if it's just a high-ranking slave official. The fact that he was still alive days later, in good enough health to walk and fight, suggests that he was taken down relatively soon after.

limeincoke fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 14, 2013

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
1 hour long Podcast from Maureen Ryan of the HuffPost with Steven DeKnight about the show and the finale. Its really good.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/spartacus-finale-steven-deknight_n_3071995.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment&ir=Entertainment

5-10 mins on Incursion at the end.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

limeincoke posted:

If Crixus hadn't of hosed off with half the army, would Spartacus had stood a decent chance of destroying Crassus's armies? Obviously he would have been wiped out by Pompey immediately afterwards, but that's besides the point. Speaking in actual history terms, by the way.

Probably not given how Spartacus mainly caused trouble so long by staying mobile, using brilliant improvised tactics and waging guerrilla war against the Romans. It's not the sort of force that had much chance against properly trained and better equipped Roman meat grinder army.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

The way Caesar talked was reminding me of Tiberius, just a bit older. Caesar just happened to be better about the whole 'not raping people' thing.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf
My face for the last ten minutes of that episode:

Hollow Hills
Jan 27, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

limeincoke posted:

Historically, no. The only reason Spartacus had any real success was because the Romans did not take him seriously, Glaber rushed to meet him very quickly and didn't have an army with him as much as it was just an armed mob of people. Spartacus did use very unorthodox plans, like using vines to climb down from Vesuvius but what his victories boiled down to in the end was the armed mobs deserting from real battle. As soon as Crixus and Spartacus met a real Roman army they were annihilated.

Also the reason Crixus and Spartacus split the army is unknown, that's one of the things the "I am Spartacus" trick was alluding to, some historians think Spartacus/Crixus split the armies so that Pompey/Crassus would take the bait and buy more time (others think Crixus just wanted to wreck poo poo), but they didn't and Crixus got slaughtered.

Hollow Hills fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 14, 2013

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
Hahaha, this is such a fantastic loving description of the finale:

AVclub posted:

Still, the absolute genius, the evil loving genius, of “Victory” is that DeKnight and company make us think that maybe, just maybe, history won’t unfold before our eyes. A sense of dread and hope co-exist throughout the hour, as history and fiction merge into a single point at which anything is possible. Surely, the show wouldn’t go Inglorious Basterds on us now. Right? And yet, right off the bat during the series’ climatic battle, Spartacus shows incredible guile and trickery. And yet, look at the horde of Rome. Trickery can only delay the inevitable. And yet, there’s Gannicus, leading the cavalry onto this show’s Pellenor Fields, flinging spears past the ears of Crassus and Caesar. And yet, one by one Spartacus’ primary soldiers fall to superior numbers. And yet, there goes Spartacus, knocking Crassus off his horse. And yet, Caesar distracts Gannicus long enough for the legions to surround him. And yet, there goes Spartacus up the hill to confront Crassus one-on-one. And yet, even though he’s badly wounded, and even though it seems like Crassus’ rope-a-dope technique learned in the season première will finally end a wounded Spartacus and complete the inevitable circle of history, Spartacus blocks the drat move with a counter that not even Crassus could expect.

Who else needs a loving cigarette?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

So, I'm re-watching season 3, and goddamn this show. I didn't even catch this.

From the season premiere:

From the season finale:

Crassus' counter move might have worked on Hilarus, but to think it could work on the Bringer of Rain? What a drat fool.

• Locked thread