Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Chemmy posted:

Team Beautiful Elbows

LIke a babies bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
So the chinstrap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOugDiaHMY) on my helmet is busted. The snap on one side corroded so badly that it ripped off when I tried to pull the snap off. Is this something I can easily replace, or do I have to buy a whole new helmet? I've played a couple games since using just the cage straps to keep the helmet on, but that's an obviously dangerous and dumb thing to do.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's not as much dumb or dangerous as it is just a ticking timebomb until an official notices it and sends you off.

Usually it's something any respectable hockey shop can fix. Worst case they put a new strap on it.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
You can buy the little snap piece pretty cheap from any decent shop, a shop at a rink SHOULD have them. You might have to buy the other side of the chinstrap too but it still wont be much.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

So the chinstrap (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnOugDiaHMY) on my helmet is busted. The snap on one side corroded so badly that it ripped off when I tried to pull the snap off. Is this something I can easily replace, or do I have to buy a whole new helmet? I've played a couple games since using just the cage straps to keep the helmet on, but that's an obviously dangerous and dumb thing to do.

No chinstrap AND a cage!? What are you, taking stupid pills!? You're basically asking for a concussion!!

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

coldwind posted:

No chinstrap AND a cage!? What are you, taking stupid pills!? You're basically asking for a concussion!!

He might already have one which would explain it.

But for real the chin strap is easy and cheap to replace.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If bits of metal are rusting off your helmet, I'd check the expiration date on the thing, because they're only rated to protect you for a certain number of years.

If the lid is older than you are, just replace it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

If you wear a cage, it should be strapped tight enough that the chinstrap is rendered useless. I don't know why my high school league required it (chinstrap) to be strapped too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I thought the chin strap being useless was a given with hockey helmets, regardless of whether there's a cage on. :v:

Robo-Pope
Feb 28, 2007

It has big taste.

coldwind posted:

I thought the medical term was hot brain.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think my helmet "expired" 5 years ago. Oops.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?

sellouts posted:

But you just can't get that Jofa or Cooper look anymore.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

I'm not a materials science expert, but it strikes me as not a HUGE deal to be tied to your exp date. Unless you're regularly taking hits to the head, then you should be replacing the thing before the exp anyway. I guess with any regular wear and tear the exp is probably a good marker, but realize that the thought process was probably something like:

"Ok, the average helmet life is X years, with a Y standard deviation. To avoid lawsuits, let's just say the expected lifetime is X-3Y. That will make it accurate for 99.73% of helmets."

Or maybe they used a 2-sigma estimate to make it look like it lasted "longer" than their competitors and then it'd still be good for ~95% of helmets.

I..... I think I have a problem.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yeah I don't think it matters. It just puts a limit on whatever liability hockey helmets or that certification has.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

If bits of metal are rusting off your helmet, I'd check the expiration date on the thing, because they're only rated to protect you for a certain number of years.

If the lid is older than you are, just replace it.

It's only a couple years old. I had a long lull in playing due to getting hurt/having mono, so it sat in my bag in my basement for too long.

Thanks for the tips guys!!!

E: someone mentioned materials science: there's a lot more that goes into the life of a material than how many impacts it has taken. Different helmet padding materials are also designed for differing numbers of impacts. For example, bicycle helmets are designed for 1 impact, then they should be replaced.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 11, 2013

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman
Went to the late pickup game tonight, and scored my first goal...on my own net. Accidently kicked the puck in with the toe of my skate in a scramble in front of the net. :( It didn't really matter in the long run since our team got owned but I still had a lot of fun. Now that i can skate and stay on my feet most of the time I definitely need to go to some Stick and Puck sessions to get better at handling the puck.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Went to pickup after the Kings game at Staples. It's amazing how much damage is done to that ice in one game compared to skating on it before. Wow.

Good skate though. Skill level was pretty good but everyone was talking, passing and had a good flow. Great goalies. Of course, 2 hotheads were being dickheads but they left like 25 minutes into the skate. Then after that each bench only had 1 extra. Why waste the ice time, I dunno.

And drat is there something more frustrating to hear a shot clang off of a post and echo around in an empty arena compared to a normal rink.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Today I played an inline 4v4 iron (wo)man tournament and 3 hours of ice hockey (1.5 of practice and 1.5 of a private ice time with 3 on our bench). This may have been the first time in my 25 years of hockey experience that I was watching the zamboni doors hoping they'd open so it would just be ovverrrrrr

But it was fun. :)

I'm glad that I started a routine of running every other night last month though. I don't think I would have made it through all of today at all without the conditioning boost that's given me. My brain gave up before my body did and that's pretty unusual for me nowadays!

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 14, 2013

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

Went to the late pickup game tonight, and scored my first goal...on my own net. Accidently kicked the puck in with the toe of my skate in a scramble in front of the net. :( It didn't really matter in the long run since our team got owned but I still had a lot of fun. Now that i can skate and stay on my feet most of the time I definitely need to go to some Stick and Puck sessions to get better at handling the puck.

Which rink? I was at the late game at Pineville tonight. I drank too much last night and was still feeling the effects.

zinc68
Apr 26, 2010

sellouts posted:

Went to pickup after the Kings game at Staples. It's amazing how much damage is done to that ice in one game compared to skating on it before. Wow.

Good skate though. Skill level was pretty good but everyone was talking, passing and had a good flow. Great goalies. Of course, 2 hotheads were being dickheads but they left like 25 minutes into the skate. Then after that each bench only had 1 extra. Why waste the ice time, I dunno.

And drat is there something more frustrating to hear a shot clang off of a post and echo around in an empty arena compared to a normal rink.

One of the things I notice when I get ice time at the Xcel Center is how tough it is to spot the puck if it goes up above the glass.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

Tur pic you posted on fb of this is amazing. I wish I had the opportunity to do this sometime.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

PS Sakic > Yzerman

Fingers McGee posted:

Which rink? I was at the late game at Pineville tonight. I drank too much last night and was still feeling the effects.

I was at Pineville as well, played defense on White. I enjoyed it a lot more than the games at XI and wondered if you were there but would have felt foolish asking if anyone knew who Fingers was lol

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

zinc68 posted:

One of the things I notice when I get ice time at the Xcel Center is how tough it is to spot the puck if it goes up above the glass.

Yeah the lighting is great. The ice is as white as if you were outside during the day. Pretty awesome when combined with the darkness of empty seats.

Oh and having the AC off after the game kinda sucks too. I was more sweaty that I've been in a long time.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Oh and having the AC off after the game kinda sucks too. I was more sweaty that I've been in a long time.

Had the same problem when I skated at Allstate Arena.. was the sweatiest most tiring game I've played yet. I swear the air was completely still.

Also the boards were too loving high, I literally had to put a foot on the bench to get over them. :smith:

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

loving bro hug posted:

I was at Pineville as well, played defense on White. I enjoyed it a lot more than the games at XI and wondered if you were there but would have felt foolish asking if anyone knew who Fingers was lol

Hah nice, I was playing forward on white, I think I remember you.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

xzzy posted:

Had the same problem when I skated at Allstate Arena.. was the sweatiest most tiring game I've played yet. I swear the air was completely still.

Also the boards were too loving high, I literally had to put a foot on the bench to get over them. :smith:

I think that's true of most pro arenas for whatever reason, Bridgestone is like that too. And yet, I watched a CBJ player (Prout maybe?) just step over the boards with his other foot still on the ice. NHLers are tall and flexible.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah there's not much I can do about getting taller, but my flexibility is genuine poo poo. I've been an idiot about doing anything about it too, I get to the gym and it's all GOTTA DO LUNGES DEADLIFTS AND SQUATS.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

Lol I am by no means tall but who is the shortest SAS hockey player? You, Doctor Butts or Topo?

I actually find our 4v4 rink has the tallest boards -- I think it's because they have little kids play there usually and they don't want them even thinking about hopping over them.

Anders posted:

Tur pic you posted on fb of this is amazing. I wish I had the opportunity to do this sometime.

When you finally make your trip to 'Murrica we'll do one of these

sellouts fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 14, 2013

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I built a flagstone patio yesterday and today and I have to play a game in a little bit and my arms don't really work. :(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

Lol I am by no means tall but who is the shortest SAS hockey player? You, Doctor Butts or Topo?

I wouldn't say I'm short.. 5'10" or thereabouts. I just couldn't get over those boards without a hop or something, and by the 3rd period hopping was the last goddamn thing on my mind.

I guess something resembling flexibility would have let me get over them easier.

Blocked a shot like a boss this morning, was square to a dude and I could see him winding up, so I dropped to a knee and took the puck right in the gut. Never even registered that it might be a dumb thing to do before I did it.

Everyone on the ice loved it, even the other team was fist bumping me.

Still goal-less but at least I'm doing something resembling usefulness out there.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

I have had a disturbing number of own goals lately, all of which deflect off my skate and in. Except for one where I tried to pass it up ice from behind the net and instead deflected it off an opposing player into my own net. Yeah.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

There is ALMOST absolutely no doubt in my mind that this is me. Granted I'm getting even lower in this picture to keep my eyes on the puck in the scramble in front of the net, but keep in mind that these are like, 10 year old kids..

Only registered members can see post attachments!

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

PS Sakic > Yzerman

sellouts posted:

Lol I am by no means tall but who is the shortest SAS hockey player?

I'm 5'7" :shrug:

Fingers McGee posted:

Hah nice, I was playing forward on white, I think I remember you.

Cool. I'm planning on being there next weekend as well so say hey if you see me. Name's Kris.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

bewbies posted:

I built a flagstone patio yesterday and today and I have to play a game in a little bit and my arms don't really work. :(

Good job typing with your nose.

Also, Top. Go 2nd making a referee Ask/Tell thread in the 102 thread.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

sellouts posted:

When you finally make your trip to 'Murrica we'll do one of these

Setting my sights on pond hockey in 2015

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Had my first game of the summer league today! We lost 5-1, but I scored our goal on a breakaway a few minutes after I had missed the top corner on another breakaway, so that was nice. I'm in a lower league and it's an interesting mix of players. Nobody is god awful at skating or anything, but a lot of stuff that seems like common sense to me is getting messed up, but that's to be expected I suppose. Stuff like wingers getting the puck behind our net then passing it towards where they're supposed to be, not keeping two hands on your stick, offsides, line changes, I guess pretty much everything. One thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is that we have two guys who think it's the loving NHL and take it really seriously, and we have another guy who gets real butthurt if you try to tell him how he made a mistake and what he can try to do next time to improve on it.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

I wouldn't say I'm short.. 5'10" or thereabouts. I just couldn't get over those boards without a hop or something, and by the 3rd period hopping was the last goddamn thing on my mind.

I guess something resembling flexibility would have let me get over them easier.

wow yeah you gotta work on that

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
One of our guys scored the damndest goal I've ever seen in a game, to include the NHL, AHL, etc.

We're on a power play, I'm at the top of the umbrella, he's at the left point. I get the puck, he starts cutting inside and calls for it. I send a terrible saucer pass to him and the puck gets there on edge. He now has the puck about 10 feet inside the blue line, rolling, with three defenders and the goalie in the slot.

He takes a look, then lofts the puck up about 10 feet in the air and over one defender. He catches the puck on his stick (not too high for a high-stick), flips it up again over the last two defenders. As it is coming down, he bats it out of the air, over the goalie, into the net (again, not a high stick).

I really could not believe what I'd seen, it was like a glitch out of NHL13 or something.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

bewbies posted:

I really could not believe what I'd seen, it was like a glitch out of NHL13 or something.

poo poo i wish that were possible on NHL 13. Sounds awesome and I love moments like that in hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I had a career night tonight in ice, against the leader in our division (who my team has never beat).

3 Goals, 2 Assists in a 9-5 win (It was 8-5, but somebody scored with like a second left).

First goal, I got a head-man pass on a PK for a breakaway, I barely caught the pass, but it slid off my stick. I regathered it on the goal-line about a foot to the left of the net. I stopped, took a step back and put it 5-Hole while moving the goalie off the post.

Later that shift (that I stayed on for about another minute after the PK ended), I get a loose puck in the neutral zone. Turn, take a stride and put a half-rear end slap shot on net so I could get a change. Goalie stops it with their stick, it flies up and over the goalie, bounces behind them and rolls into the net just as I make it to the bench.

Third goal I pinched in (did I mention I play D?) to cut off a breakout pass up the middle, deke around 2 players and slam it 5 hole again getting the goalie to move off the post like I did on the first goal.

I also played shut-down D against their best players. Stopping their cross-crease passes. Poking away their deke attempts. Blocking their point slap-shots with my big toe (ow). One of my best overall games on ice.

:smuggo: