Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

nonanone posted:

Pretty! Is that an on camera panel, or a standalone?

It's a standalone on the usual lightstand and I used a 43" shoot-through umbrella with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
If you don't make bread at least once a month you need to reevaluate your life and your choices.

0O3O0665 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

did you make that challah? :colbert:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
I did not.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

dakana posted:

If you don't make bread at least once a month you need to reevaluate your life and your choices.

0O3O0665 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

Sort of a tight crumb for a baguette. What hydration level did you use?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cheeseburger by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

I thought Hot N Now went out of business!?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Sort of a tight crumb for a baguette. What hydration level did you use?

I thought so too. I think I used 70%; I've got a pate fermentee warming up on the counter from last night that's an 81% attempt, though. We'll see how it works for me today.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Treated myself after work yesterday. We only have one Vietnamese place in the city, so, we're lucky they serve it.

Jade Dragon Pho by Aramek, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Fell into the classic food trap of not having everything in focus :negative:

P4170877.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4170878.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

a man a plan a canal
Dec 31, 2004
Fun Shoe

Mr. Despair posted:

Fell into the classic food trap of not having everything in focus :negative:

P4170877.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

P4170878.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

So, what did you ejaculate on/in?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

It's coffee :ssh:

fake edit: with milk.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

dakana posted:

I thought so too. I think I used 70%; I've got a pate fermentee warming up on the counter from last night that's an 81% attempt, though. We'll see how it works for me today.

Nice!

If you have it (you should), check out Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. The recipe for Pain à l'ancienne is outstanding.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

mediaphage posted:

Nice!

If you have it (you should), check out Reinhart's Bread Baker's Apprentice. The recipe for Pain à l'ancienne is outstanding.

Absolutely. I need to get some books and really read up on baking, because I'd like to know more about the science behind things so I can really get into it. I've seen that book recommended and I read a bit of it when I had some time to kill at a book store, but it was like $35 because, well, it was at a book store.

My higher hydration batch of baguettes ended up flattening out a good bit before baking because I didn't let them rise for the second time in a bunched-up couche, but they were very tasty and the crumb that there was had a pretty awesome airy texture. I should have taken pictures, but I slow-cooked a marinated chuck roast for 10 hours, shredded it, and slapped it on some provolone in the middle of that bread. It completely ruled.

edit: here's a whole-wheat blend I made too. Still kind of a tight crumb though.

NKNE9819 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

super late edit: bought Bread Baker's Apprentice, made pain a l'ancienne.

bread-0013 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0014 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0015 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

bread-0019 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

turned out pretty good for a first attempt. I baked them on a sheet pan, but I really should have transferred to a stone for better spring and more even baking. I'll definitely do that next time. They might have been able to bake for a little longer this time, but I didn't want to burn them so I took them out. Still very, very tasty, with that creamy (if a bit tight) crumb.

dakana fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 21, 2013

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Hey man, your weed's wet.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

P4231027.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Smoothie.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Took me a minute to realize it was the bottom half of a hand blender.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Nice.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Untitled by Ashade76, on Flickr

Cinco De Mayo happened.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

SPGL6913 by nick.kneer, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Borscht.

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Pretty happy with my last few shots, then again, maybe it was just cause it all tasted so great.

Steak with Red Onion & Beer Gravy

Torta, best sandwich I ever had

Glazed Pork Fillet in BBQ sauce

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
one shameful ricoh salad.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Cucumber Water.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Kolache by William T Hornaday, on Flickr

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I haven't done much food photography so I keep this thread bookmarked and try to glean what I can. I don't "get" some of the stuff (see above) but wanted to try to at least start with the stereotypical stuff everyone sees.

I took my wife out for dinner for a three course meal yesterday and got these. Not ideal since I was sitting at the table using available light but something I would like to try to get good at.

creme of broccoli soup by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

salmon with pureed beets and carrots and a creamy asparagus sauce with rice by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

strawberry crisp by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

and had this when we got home.

fruit tart by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

The things I notice are:

1) seems flat
in 2) the angle doesn't seem right to me
in 3) I got some sort of weird shadow going on
in 4) I wanted to show off the fruit so went f 2.8 but should have gone around 4 or 5.6 to get it all in focus for a better photo.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

rio posted:

1) seems flat
in 2) the angle doesn't seem right to me
in 3) I got some sort of weird shadow going on
in 4) I wanted to show off the fruit so went f 2.8 but should have gone around 4 or 5.6 to get it all in focus for a better photo.

Thanks for the instagram update brah. Next time skip the photos and just enjoy the food and company. :snoop:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Whitezombi
Apr 26, 2006

With these Zombie Eyes he rendered her powerless - With this Zombie Grip he made her perform his every desire!

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I unironically really like this.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Musket posted:

Thanks for the instagram update brah. Next time skip the photos and just enjoy the food and company. :snoop:

Thanks for the useful advice "brah".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

There's some impolite postin' going on in this thread right here, surely I don't need to remind you of rule whatever the rule is that says not to be dicks and/or mad at the internet.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tviolet
May 20, 2004

Does someone here understand Reichstag if so please explain (possibly crosspost to every thread)

• Locked thread