Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Hmmm... still counting all ten fingers there. I hope it's a young Logen like we were speculating. I also don't like how the Shanka is drawn in that last panel. In the books they're clearly described as much more ape-like.

Joe Abercrombie posted:

Positively hot. Announcement tomorrow...

e:

Then again, looking at it more up close, that middle finger does look shorter. Looks like the other fingers are wrapped around the axe but the middle one is just a stub maybe?

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Yeah, that's ten fingers. And that scene's from the beginning of TBI.

It's too bad Logen and the Shanka look like that. Also, that visual style overall seems to be real common in comics these days. I don't like it, it's too sleek.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Ah, that's too bad. I'm usually not one of those people who whine when a character doesn't look like I want them to, but Logen's outright scarred hideousness is described many times in the book and I'd argue it's important, at least thematically, for his character.

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
That looks terrible. Too young, too pretty.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
There's been a lot of moaning about this over the past few days, so far Joe's only comment has been (in the comments for this blog post):

"You will hear from me when the time is ripe, and you shall all know joy (no doubt with some exceptions). Until then, scream your pain into the uncaring void."

At this point he should definitely be aware of the fan reaction, but we'll see.

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
So, the announcement is out. They will be making a TFL graphic novel (somewhat obvious by now) and giving it out for free online (!) as new issues roll out.

The catch is that you can buy issues on Comixology before they appear online, and there will also be printed collections later on.

You can also tell that Joe is getting a bit sick of the moaning about character designs... But that doesn't change the fact that Logen looks wrong.

Anyway, read the announcement here:

http://www.joeabercrombie.com/2013/04/10/the-first-law-graphic-novel-2/

And the first 12 pages here:

http://www.firstlawcomic.com/

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The cover and the preview image in that announcement post look significantly better than the stuff people have been complaining about, in terms of Logen looking scarred.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Pretty lovely artwork, though, aside from the character descriptions.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I really liked the first 12 pages. Things are moving quickly but everything seems really true to the books.

Edit: I just finished the first full issue. If they keep up the quality this is going to be great.

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Apr 10, 2013

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I know it's not exactly the right thread for it, but trying to ask elsewhere has gotten me little. Is there any way to find other comic books in this same vein (really just non-superhero). Whenever I try to go looking for anything comic book related, the relentless tide of superhero comic books makes it impossible to find anything but a couple really well known non-superhero comics.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

nessin posted:

I know it's not exactly the right thread for it, but trying to ask elsewhere has gotten me little. Is there any way to find other comic books in this same vein (really just non-superhero). Whenever I try to go looking for anything comic book related, the relentless tide of superhero comic books makes it impossible to find anything but a couple really well known non-superhero comics.

Just search for non-American comics if you don't want to read about superheroes. Jean Van Hamme has been recommended a lot to me, but I personally know next to nothing about comics.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

nessin posted:

If you're looking for a fantasy comic, the Dabel Brothers adaptions of George Martin's Dunk and Egg stories are pretty good.

For non superhero in general, you should check out Vertigo Comics. They seem to put out the most series that get a lot of critical acclaim and the majority of them aren't superhero related at all. I think they have a thread in BSS too.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hell, there are plenty of current comics that aren't really superhero based. Saga, Manhattan Projects, kind of East of West, The Unwritten, Fatale, Locke and Key, to name a few. Certain characters have superhuman abilities but they are in no way superheroes.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I'd highly recommend the recent Dungeons & Dragons series by John Rogers.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Neurosis posted:

Hell, there are plenty of current comics that aren't really superhero based. Saga, Manhattan Projects, kind of East of West, The Unwritten, Fatale, Locke and Key, to name a few. Certain characters have superhuman abilities but they are in no way superheroes.
All of those are awesome, but right now I cannot recommend Saga highly enough. It's amazing. But The Unwritten has been one of my favorites for a few years now. Image also has some good non-supes comics. Morning Glories, for instance, is another one way at the top of my list.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
About to put down Best for a week or so. After burning through the First Law and immediately starting these stand alone books, I think I need a break from that "realistic" misery. Like... The Cat in the Hat. I don't think I know anyone as miserable as an Abercrombie character.

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!

bengraven posted:

About to put down Best for a week or so. After burning through the First Law and immediately starting these stand alone books, I think I need a break from that "realistic" misery. Like... The Cat in the Hat. I don't think I know anyone as miserable as an Abercrombie character.

The stand alone books are easier to deal with, mostly because you know what to expect and sometimes people even end up not miserable at the end. I was actually pissed at Abercrombie for making me feel so bad after reading the first law, guess i was to used to the fantasy happy ending. I seriously told myself i wouldn't read any more books by him at first. But after a while i realized how much i enjoyed everything about the books and the reason i felt so bad was because how attached i had gotten. Some of the characters stories didn't feel like they got a fair endings either, like they just ended up in limbo. The stand alone books hint at just enough stuff to help "end" those stories

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

UncleMonkey posted:

All of those are awesome, but right now I cannot recommend Saga highly enough. It's amazing. But The Unwritten has been one of my favorites for a few years now. Image also has some good non-supes comics. Morning Glories, for instance, is another one way at the top of my list.

I find Morning Glories needlessly obtuse and horribly drawn out. But that's a discussion for another thread.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Apr 15, 2013

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
So, I today finished The Heroes: wow! I didn't like Berst Served Cold that much and most of the time I was just waiting for it to end, doggedly pushing through it because I'd heard the stuff after was better. This was just a great war book. Nearly every viewpoint was interesting, in a different way.

I think I'd have to mention Gorst first. An ultra-violent resentful man with a goony crush on a girl he doesn't know that well and, if what Finree said is accurate, an inability to take responsibility for his own failures... But I couldn't help but sympathise with the guy. I think that had mainly to do with the fact that he is often self-aware; he knows his obsession with Finree is unhealthy and ridiculous, and that such a love of violence is abnormal and destructive... Not that this knowledge forces him to ever re-evaluate his behaviour in a meaningful way. I cheered for him when he was fighting, and it was great to read a character who actually revelled in battle - without being as animalistic as the Bloody Nine, or Shivers - who I found to be pretty uninteresting. I like to think in later novels it will be shown he found some level of acceptance in himself, buit knowing Abercrombie, I doubt it.

Corporal Tunny surprised me because his chapters were actually fairly amusing to read, whereas I thought they could be a bit of a chore given how removed they were from the main action. I found it unbearably cute that in battle, despite his cynicism, he was unable to suppress the surge of patriotic pride that made him put himself in danger.

I never felt too much sympathy for Calder, but his chapters did add some depth to a character who seemed two dimensionally evil in the trilogy.

The only chapters I thought were kind of weak were Beck's - I think he served a purpose, to illustrate the opposite end of the spectrum to Gorst, but he was kind of flat. Prior to his murder of Reft he was also very unlikeable.

Damned good stuff. I'm about 10% into Red Country (which I finished at work after wrapping up the Heroes at lunch - thank God it was a quiet day at the office) now, and it's too early to judge the book, but one issue I am having is I picture everyone as having guns and using 19th century frontier technology, even though I know that's not right.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Heroes might just be my favorite as a whole although the last of the trilogy just has much bigger and better moments.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
Each of the stand alone books is drastically different since Abercrombie is changing his theme with each book. I found that if you don't like the genre the book is based on you will not like the book. I have spoke with people who loved BSC and hated The Heroes and I have spoken to people who had it the other way around. Most people I have spoken to disliked Red Country but none of them liked westerns. I personally loved the book and the one person I know who read it and liked it also likes westerns.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I didn't get into Red Country the same way I got into the rest of Joe's books, but I've read it again recently and it's properly clicked with me.

But yeah, Joe is still teh best fantasy author evah.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Clinton1011 posted:

Most people I have spoken to disliked Red Country but none of them liked westerns. I personally loved the book and the one person I know who read it and liked it also likes westerns.

I don't know poo poo about westerns but I still loved Red Country.

But honestly, Best Served Cold is my favourite. Cardotti's House of Leisure, drat, that poo poo was tight.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Weird realization. Abercrombie's influenced by movies more than books. He can clearly spin a good yarn, but I was reading a screenplay recently and I realized it really reminded me of his writing style.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince

Clinton1011 posted:

Each of the stand alone books is drastically different since Abercrombie is changing his theme with each book. I found that if you don't like the genre the book is based on you will not like the book. I have spoke with people who loved BSC and hated The Heroes and I have spoken to people who had it the other way around. Most people I have spoken to disliked Red Country but none of them liked westerns. I personally loved the book and the one person I know who read it and liked it also likes westerns.

So what genre does BSC represent and what are some good books that represent that genre? Cause that's what I'd like to read more.

My girlfriend's embarking on a long train ride tomorrow and we're going to the library to get both of us some reading. I'll borrow Robert Charles Wilson's Blind Lake. She decided she doesn't want A Clash of Kings right now (she read A Game of Thrones a few months ago) and follows my advice of reading Abercrombie instead. So she'll be borrowing The Blade Itself. :3:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Rurik posted:

So what genre does BSC represent and what are some good books that represent that genre? Cause that's what I'd like to read more.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Rurik posted:

A revenge novel. Someone double-crossed, left for dead, but they survived and want revenge.

Richard Stark's "The Hunter" is a great modern example. You might be familiar with the motion picture adaptations "Point Blank" and "Payback" (and this year's "Parker"). Come to think of it, that's also the plot of "V For Vendetta" (graphic novel and movie). The original Michael Caine version of "Get Carter", maybe.

Pretty Pretty Pony
Jul 13, 2003

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Weird realization. Abercrombie's influenced by movies more than books. He can clearly spin a good yarn, but I was reading a screenplay recently and I realized it really reminded me of his writing style.

He was a script editor before he started writing.

Interview

Joe Abercrombie posted:

Your books are often compared to films. Does your film editing background often influence your books? If so, how?

I spent ten years or so as a freelance editor, mostly working on live music (concerts, festivals, and awards shows) and documentaries. Certainly that was important experience. I think it gave me a good idea of timing, of how to come into and out of a scene, of how you can cut between different strands of action to get the most drama out of both. I was also lucky to see some really skilled producers work on scripts for documentary, where the aim is often to tell the story in the shortest, most economical number of words. But above all I think it taught me how to get on with people, and the value of listening to other’s opinions and making changes. As an editor you can’t be too precious – you do your best with the material, but if a director, producer, or client wants something different you have to make changes. You might resent that to begin with, but often you find looking again with the benefit of a new viewpoint allows you to make improvements. The same is true of a writer. You need to be able to listen to your editor, listen to the opinions of readers, and not necessarily do exactly what they tell you, but always be looking for ways to improve what you’re doing.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Yeah, I thought it being a revenge novel, but I didn't realize that's a genre of it's own. Somehow I doubt Dumas wrote in the manner of Abercrombie. Or does The Count of Monte Cristo contain the same amount of vile language and nihilism? Cause that would be pleasant surprise. :v:

Pessimisten
Mar 24, 2008
I THINK TERRORISM IS OK, BECAUSE IT'S NOT REALLY THE TERRORIST THAT SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE, IT'S THE CAPITALIST SOCIETY PIGS. ALLAH AHKBAR!

Rurik posted:

My girlfriend's embarking on a long train ride tomorrow and we're going to the library to get both of us some reading. I'll borrow Robert Charles Wilson's Blind Lake. She decided she doesn't want A Clash of Kings right now (she read A Game of Thrones a few months ago) and follows my advice of reading Abercrombie instead. So she'll be borrowing The Blade Itself. :3:

If you specifically want a fantasy revenge novel you got "The lies of Locke Lamora" by Scott Lynch. Not as dark as Abercrombie, but Lynch doesn't flinch from a bit of death and despair. It seems to be a generally liked book too, even though as a series(The Gentleman Bastards)i feel it dips with the second book. Still, worth a read. And the third book will finally be coming out in October, should you get hooked.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

Down With People posted:

I don't know poo poo about westerns but I still loved Red Country.

But honestly, Best Served Cold is my favourite. Cardotti's House of Leisure, drat, that poo poo was tight.
Yes, me too. On both counts. Don't really like Westerns (aside from something like Deadwood) but I loved Red Country. And BSC is still my favorite of Abercrombie book so far (but I am a huge, huge sucker for revenge stories). The stuff with Cardotti's House of Leisure was so good and so intense.

Rurik posted:

Yeah, I thought it being a revenge novel, but I didn't realize that's a genre of it's own. Somehow I doubt Dumas wrote in the manner of Abercrombie. Or does The Count of Monte Cristo contain the same amount of vile language and nihilism? Cause that would be pleasant surprise. :v:
Haha no, of course not (but you already knew that). It's still a loving great book though. And apparently it's somewhat inspired by the life of Dumas' own father. There's a book about that I haven't read yet, although I really want to.

UncleMonkey fucked around with this message at 01:07 on May 6, 2013

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Rurik posted:

Not much in the way of vile language but nihilism and cruelty aplenty. You should read it regardless since its a fantastic work of literature.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I've been a big Abercrombie fan for a while and recently finished re-reading all of the books except for Red Country. I came to appreciate Best Served Cold more on the 2nd read through but otherwise my opinions haven't changed much. I think with each subsequent work Joe has become a better writer and has thus written better stories. He was clearly a bit directionless for parts of The Blade Itself and even within that one book alone the beginning speaks nothing of the quality of the ending.

Red Country has been his best to date though I'm sure that is at least in part due to my fondness for the western genre. More than that is how impressively he distinguishes every character in voice and demeanor. Even the most insignificant characters have a fully formed persona about them. This is especially apparent in Cosca's band of mercenaries with Jubair being my favorite example of it.

I'm sure this has all been discussed at great length before but I felt I should contribute considering how I enjoy reading the posts in this thread. Especially considering how lovely the first law wiki is, which if you haven't been is bad.

E: I was also wondering if someone could make a reading suggestion for me as I just finished a book and need an audiobook for an upcoming roadtrip. Non-fantasy is fine and before anyone says anything I tried it but just couldn't do the Malazan series.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 14:13 on May 9, 2013

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Most interesting Non-Joe fantasy I've read recently was the Prince/King of Thorns. Not sure what the status of the audio book is though.

I finished a re-read just before Red Country and my love for each book increased apart from Last Argument of Kings, which at first read was epic and incredible but with a more detached eye is definitely his sloppiest writing. Best Served Cold is a hell of a thing though, I've got massive, massive hopes for his continued career as he's who I'm pinning my heart on to fill the void left by Pratchett. He'll need to get quite a bit more prolific.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Oh god, I started Prince of Thorns and gave it up after about 100-150 pages. To me, it epitomized the whole 'grimdark' phenomenon going on right now, and didn't appeal to me at all.

EDIT: The first review on this page exactly echoes my thoughts about Prince of Thorns. I liked Abercrombie's settings, his characters, and his way of inverting tropes, but I couldn't stomach the main character in that series!

syphon fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 11, 2013

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Prince of Thorns is awesome. King of Thorns is even better. I expect Emperor of Thorns to be just as good.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

syphon posted:

Oh god, I started Prince of Thorns and gave it up after about 100-150 pages. To me, it epitomized the whole 'grimdark' phenomenon going on right now, and didn't appeal to me at all.

EDIT: The first review on this page exactly echoes my thoughts about Prince of Thorns. I liked Abercrombie's settings, his characters, and his way of inverting tropes, but I couldn't stomach the main character in that series!
I completely hear you and agree, problem with PoT is that you're supposed to think that and he doesn't tell you why it's the way it is until about 90% of the way through, so obviously a lot of people just think "oh gently caress this little berk" and stop reading. Personally the world and the narrative kept me hooked until then, but it ain't for everyone.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I personally can't stand books with a lot of rape and cruelty but as Evfedu said the world and narrative kept me hooked. I was really glad I picked the book back up and finished it. I haven't read King of Thorns yet but the two people I know who did said it was much better then Prince of Thorns and I thought the first book was amazing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Clinton1011 posted:

I personally can't stand books with a lot of rape and cruelty...

Just for clarity's sake, I'm going to post every single scene of rape from Prince of Thorns:

Mark Lawrence posted:

a) I saw what they did to Mother, and how long it took.

b) The fat girl had a lot to say, just like her father. Screeched like a barn owl: hurt my ears with it. I liked the older one better. She was quiet enough. So quiet you'd give a twist here or there just to check she hadn't died of fright.

That's all of them, in their entirety.

Which brings up a good point that both Lawrence and Abercrombie (and Richard Morgan and others) have discussed on their blogs over the last few months: the so-called grimdark books that people constantly attack and decry don't actually exist. Instead, you either have very small bits like the ones above blown completely out of proportion, or people just make poo poo up whole cloth (like the reviewer syphon linked to). That's not to say that the works of the three authors I just mentioned aren't dark, because they are, but they are not the nihilistic works of fiction their detractors like to pretend they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
More than just that they don't exist, A thing being "Grimdark" has become this peculiar short-hand way of dismissing someone's work. And I've yet to see a Grimdarkian manifesto, or a definition of any kind.