Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Does anyone know why the New Friends episode of Yo Gabba Gabba (the one with a stoned-out-of-his-mind Jack Black, aka the best episode) is missing? People in the Netflix comments seem to think it is a big conspiracy to get people to shell out for the discs. What gives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bullet3
Nov 8, 2011

Hakkesshu posted:

Has there been any early word on Hemlock Grove yet? I really don't know what to make of it.

I just wanna know if it has actual werewolves in it or of it's a dumb red herring.
Looks pretty bad from the previews to be honest. Really cheesy and unoriginal, though I'm not an Eli Roth fan so maybe it's just me.
That being said, I thought House of Cards didn't look very good from the promos, and that ended up being outstanding, so it might just be a not very good trailer.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

kuddles posted:

I think it has to do with the way the region selector works. Netflix has a "travel mode" that gives you access to the catalogue of a country when you are in it, so I'm assuming that how the region selector is tricking it, so they just don't give you a queue for anything but your home region. Because I signed up for a US account and I don't have a queue for Canada.

I dunno, I'm Finnish, have a Finnish account and I can add stuff on US Netflix (through Unblock-Us) to my queue V:shobon:V

dahlis
Oct 26, 2005

Demolitions Expert
This has probably been posted many times before, but for everyone who wants to access the glorious american netflix library outside of US I would strongly recommend Media Hint. It's free and very easy to set up (it's a web browser plugin). It ONLY unblocks Hulu, Netflix and Pandora. Also, it's totally fine (as of now, anyway) says Netflix. There is just one downside; it only works if you stream from a web browser.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
Welp, https://www.streamingsoon.com is out of business, you can read why exactly at the site. Not great news, I loved using it as a resource. Oh well.

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

forever whatever posted:

Welp, https://www.streamingsoon.com is out of business, you can read why exactly at the site. Not great news, I loved using it as a resource. Oh well.

That must also be why the "upcoming" section on Instantwatcher went away. It really sucks that Netflix shut down that part of the API. It wasn't always the most accurate thing - movies and shows would often be added out of the blue - but at least it was something.

It's weird that Netflix made a huge deal out of their APIs a few years ago, but seems to be slowly shutting parts of it down.

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!

dahlis posted:

This has probably been posted many times before, but for everyone who wants to access the glorious american netflix library outside of US I would strongly recommend Media Hint. It's free and very easy to set up (it's a web browser plugin). It ONLY unblocks Hulu, Netflix and Pandora. Also, it's totally fine (as of now, anyway) says Netflix. There is just one downside; it only works if you stream from a web browser.

I use Unblock US but whenever I tried Media Hint it let me browse the American selection but would never play them.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

forever whatever posted:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with Netflix. I don't know how they expect people to actually find things to watch if the only source is the New Arrivals section of the site which is always mixed up and out of date.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Erebus posted:

Jesus Christ what is wrong with Netflix. I don't know how they expect people to actually find things to watch if the only source is the New Arrivals section of the site which is always mixed up and out of date.

They can use instantwatcher.com like I assume most people here do?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
Yeah but I miss being able to see what would be going up months in advance. Maybe they want to add stuff in secret?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Tewratomeh posted:

I assumed places like Instant Watcher would be using the same API and thus have the same problems. If Instant Watcher still works then I'm not sure what Streaming Soon's problem is.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

Tewratomeh posted:

It sounds like Netflix is intentionally shutting down all those sites that let you know what's coming out by closing off that info. Which would be fine if they were going to provide a service like that themselves, that showed, by date, everything that was being added. If not, then they're just making things harder for their customers for no reason, which wouldn't be the first time.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, based on past shenanigans the latter is far more likely.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The conspiracy theorist in my thinks they just want people to browse netflix.com and play movies that are recommended to you so they can shove more original series in your face. If they ever shut down instantwatcher.com I don't know what I'll do.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
https://twitter.com/netflix_instant

Oddly, last activity was April 7th. Mother fucker.

Because, coincidentally, (OR NOT????)

Netlfix Is Watched More Than Cable TV, According BTIG Research
Link: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...&comm_ref=false

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
I just noticed that Oldboy is on Amazon Instant Streaming Prime (or whatever they call it) with Korean audio and English subtitles. I've held off watching it because Netflix only has it dubbed in English so I'll be watching it tonight.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

dahlis posted:

Is there a site somewhere that shows which content is only available outside the US?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Braggo posted:

I just noticed that Oldboy is on Amazon Instant Streaming Prime (or whatever they call it) with Korean audio and English subtitles. I've held off watching it because Netflix only has it dubbed in English so I'll be watching it tonight.

I watched that a few weeks ago and it wasn't dubbed in English (and none of Chan-Woo's other movies are either)? :confused:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

precision posted:

I watched that a few weeks ago and it wasn't dubbed in English (and none of Chan-Woo's other movies are either)? :confused:
Are you outside the US, if that makes a difference? Because I pulled it up just now (in the US) and it's dubbed:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
No, I'm in the US. That is really fuckin' weird. I'm not able to check right now, but what about Lady Vengeance, Mr. Vengeance, and Thirst? Those are still in Korean, right? Or is Netflix doing some stupid poo poo?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Hah looks like Netflix is doing stupid poo poo, Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are both in Korean with subtitles. Netflix why you gotta act all crazy sometimes

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Hah looks like Netflix is doing stupid poo poo, Mr. Vengeance and Lady Vengeance are both in Korean with subtitles. Netflix why you gotta act all crazy sometimes

They are in Korean with English subtitles? Or Korean subtitles? Or are you upset that it's not dubbed in English?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

FAT WORM OF ERROR posted:

I use Unblock US but whenever I tried Media Hint it let me browse the American selection but would never play them.

I use MediaHint and it works just fine for me, but I can't use the queue. Sometimes,just sometimes, they would be overwhelmed at the beginning by the large amount of people using it, so you couldn't even browse Netflix, it hasn't happened in a while now so I guess they fixed it(for now).

RightClickSaveAs posted:

So,what's wrong with that?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Desperado Bones posted:

So,what's wrong with that?

I assume Oldboy isn't, so it's the inconsistency that's the problem.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I watched Oldboy again last week and it was in Korean with subtitles :iiam:

Braggo
Jul 26, 2005
Yeah for me it's just Oldboy that's dubbed. Oh well, I watched it on Amazon Instant and it lived up to the hype. I'll definitely be checking out the rest of the trilogy soon.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Nihonniboku posted:

They are in Korean with English subtitles? Or Korean subtitles? Or are you upset that it's not dubbed in English?
I am super upset right now

I don't care much either way, as I have them all on disc, I was just responding to the conversation that was already going on. Yeah,it's the inconsistency that's weird, although Netflix is usually good at putting up the original language track with English subtitles, which is why it doesn't make sense that 1 out of 3 movies in a loose trilogy would be dubbed. Maybe because it's the most well-known of the three?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
So I caught up with two films that were mentioned a bit earlier in this thread.

Senna

Wow. This got so much hype and I have to say I really did not like it at all. This film felt incredibly biased to me. It had an agenda and it spent the entire first half painting Senna as a noble figure in the sport who fought against rear end in a top hat Frenchmen and their politics. Yet as the film goes on it becomes more and more obvious that Senna just had this really disturbing martyr complex. This could have been planned, in which case it would be kind of a cool reveal. But to me it did not seem like the director intended it that way. I feel like he presented the film as an unbiased portrait of a complex man even though there is clearly bias.

The Wave

A German film about a high school teacher that teaches his class about Autocracy by forming his class into one. Every step on their way to becoming this insular fascist culture was absolutely believable and I was incredibly impressed with how plausible the plot is. The film didn't pull any punches either. This film is genuinely intense and very interesting, especially if you consider the far right movements going on in Greece and other countries in the world right now.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

One of the reasons that seems so plausible is it actually happened.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

TTBF posted:

One of the reasons that seems so plausible is it actually happened.

Today I have learned something.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

So instantwatcher appears to still be working. Which doesn't make sense unless they made some kind of deal with netflix to be the official guide to new streaming stuff? Or?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

maxnmona posted:

So instantwatcher appears to still be working. Which doesn't make sense unless they made some kind of deal with netflix to be the official guide to new streaming stuff? Or?
Not sure what you're getting at, there's tons of sites out there posting the netflix catalogue, including Moreflicks and Feedflicks.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

kuddles posted:

Not sure what you're getting at, there's tons of sites out there posting the netflix catalogue, including Moreflicks and Feedflicks.

Yes, but those all stopped working recently when Netflix changed their api, except instantwatcher appears to still be working.

For instance:
http://www.thenowhereman.com/netflix/
http://feedfliks.com/streaming/just-arrived

vs

http://instantwatcher.com/titles/new

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I thought the only thing that was removed was the ability to show titles that are upcoming but haven't been added?

Not sure why Netflix would get rid of that, I've changed my mind on canceling at least once from seeing what titles were being added soon.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I am super upset right now

I don't care much either way, as I have them all on disc, I was just responding to the conversation that was already going on. Yeah,it's the inconsistency that's weird, although Netflix is usually good at putting up the original language track with English subtitles, which is why it doesn't make sense that 1 out of 3 movies in a loose trilogy would be dubbed. Maybe because it's the most well-known of the three?

I can tell you're upset. You still haven't responded coherently what the situation is with Oldboy.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Nihonniboku posted:

I can tell you're upset. You still haven't responded coherently what the situation is with Oldboy.
I'm positively apoplectic. I don't understand what's so confusing, did you skip over the whole discussion that happened less than half a page up?

Braggo posted:

precision posted:

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Are you outside the US, if that makes a difference? Because I pulled it up just now (in the US) and it's dubbed:

Collects Welfare
May 16, 2006

I see what you did there...
The Scapegoat is marvelous throughout. In 1952 schoolmaster John Standing meets the aristocratic Johnny Spence, his exact double. After a night of drinking John wakes with a hang-over to find that Spence has disappeared,leaving him to substitute for him. It's not really a mystery, and more than a fish out of water story. Watching Standing stagger his way through another man's life is by turns awkward yet endearing, heartbreaking and enormously intense. The score is like an English butler--unobtrusive, just subtly doing its work...except for the last two minutes, which I've been listening to on repeat as I write this.

Do not pass this up.

Check it out if you like carefully constructed English aristocrat period pieces like Downton Abbey and Brideshead Revisited, or if you enjoy dramatic non-mysteries like Michael Clayton.

Collects Welfare fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 19, 2013

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm positively apoplectic. I don't understand what's so confusing, did you skip over the whole discussion that happened less than half a page up?

Yes. I did miss it, which would explain why I was asking for clarification.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
We watched Holy Motors tonight. French as gently caress. Not sure how else to describe it, has a David Lynchian feel and I know that gets thrown around a lot but since the narrative structure is surrealist as gently caress that's the best analogue I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Nihonniboku posted:

Yes. I did miss it, which would explain why I was asking for clarification.
So it's everyone else's job to keep you caught up? This thread's not that hard to follow, try reading it from now on.

I'm halfway through the second season of The Killing, apparently that season came up last month. I still enjoy the atmosphere and characters, but it's wearing itself out quickly with all the twists and wrinkles it keeps tossing out. And third season is coming this summer, I have no idea how they plan to keep it going without changing the pace or focus significantly.

• Locked thread