Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why does Steve Rogers even need a costume? He's not Peter Parker or Bruce Wayne, everybody knows who Captain America is. I'm not suggesting Marvel would make a movie where he doesn't wear one, I'm just curious if there's an in-universe reason for him getting a tailor-made outfit to wear when he's punching people.

Well Captain America is a symbol for the ideals of America even if the country and its people don't live up to it. It's inspiring and a rallying point for those who'd follow him into battle or otherwise. The first movie kind of addressed this I think and sort of had that play between Cap in costume versus Steve himself. At least it toyed with it but it would have been neat to really explore well.

Otherwise, yeah, everyone knows who he is. If they did go your route I think the SHIELD itself could be used as that kind of symbolism while the man himself doesn't need a cartoonish uniform.

EDIT: But then maybe the SHIELD becomes what is basically Mjolnir, Thor's hammer. "Who be worthy..."

Gatts fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Yannick_B posted:

Captain America is not an identity, its a symbol.

This is actually one of the things I've liked about the Marvel universe so far - very few secret identity story lines to drag things down.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

Why does Steve Rogers even need a costume?

Having a secret identity isn't the only reason for a costume. As mentioned, they can be symbolic or intimidating. Even though it isn't brought up a lot in the books, the costumes also tend to be somewhat functional in that they offer protection from the elements and a basic level of damage resistance (think Kevlar). They typically aren't portrayed as being just spandex (although in some cases this is exactly how they are portrayed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DFu4ever posted:

Having a secret identity isn't the only reason for a costume. As mentioned, they can be symbolic or intimidating.

Which is precisely why this costume looks to be failing on that most basic level. It's trying to look "cool" rather than embracing the symbolic aspect. The tactical realism stuff is all secondary.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
What's funny is that despite the overly dorky looking cowl, I really love the show costume for the first film. Chris Evans does a good enough job at making me believe that Cap can run into battle with just a shield, thin fabric, and an utility belt.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Here's a first look at Electro in ASM 2

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/nailbiter111/news/?a=77676

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Hahaha that looks so silly. Hopefully I won't fall asleep halfway through like with the first film.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Doflamingo posted:

Hahaha that looks so silly. Hopefully I won't fall asleep halfway through like with the first film.

Its a set photo, I'm sure his look will be touched up digitally quite a bit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Doflamingo posted:

You did too? Sup, fell-asleep-halfway-thru-ASM buddy?

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

That reminds me more of Static... a dude from a D.C line of comics featuring bros from the hood. I cannot for the life of me remember what that line was called.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

That reminds me more of Static... a dude from a D.C line of comics featuring bros from the hood. I cannot for the life of me remember what that line was called.

Milestone Comics.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

This just looks like a really bad photoshop.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Milestone Comics.

Thanks mate that's the one :)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It looks like poo poo, wow.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Vintersorg posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance those are like MoCap markers or something, because I can't believe anyone would take one look at that get-up and think it works.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Umbra Dubium posted:

I don't suppose there's any chance those are like MoCap markers or something, because I can't believe anyone would take one look at that get-up and think it works.

Perhaps they are there to simply illuminate his face and will be edited out in post.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Short of the wires holding up a stuntman, it's hard to imagine something more obviously intended to be edited out in post than those lights.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

DFu4ever posted:

Perhaps they are there to simply illuminate his face and will be edited out in post.

Yeah, there's no way that's gonna be the screen-look. That said, I actually kinda like it as-is...

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It will be fine in post. I guess we will get Spidey vs Sith Lord at least.

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
Reminds me of Ultimate Electro, and if that's what they're going for there's probably going to be an absolute poo poo ton of CGI going on.

I really like it.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Vintersorg posted:

I like that they're using practical makeup/lights to create a pretty cool look. I'd be shocked to see the lights not be edited out in the film.

ghostwritingduck fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Apr 16, 2013

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

ghostwritingduck posted:

I like that they're using practical makeup/lights to create a pretty cool look. I'd be shocked to see the lights not be edited out in the film.

Judging by the wardrobe choice and use of practical makeup/effects. I would safely bet that this is him becoming Electro. So it is not a final look, and will be touched up in post.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

He looks totally awesome, I'd say.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah I don't get the bitching and whining about those pictures. That getup looks a hundred times better than the costume from the comics

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Hahaha he looks like Schwarzeneggar in Batman and Robin. I hope he comes complete with terrible electric-based puns.

"I am... shocked that you found me, Spider-Man."

"I will use Gwen's death to... galvanize this city against you, Spider-Man!"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rasczak posted:

Hahaha he looks like Schwarzeneggar in Batman and Robin. I hope he comes complete with terrible electric-based puns.

"I am... shocked that you found me, Spider-Man."

"I will use Gwen's death to... galvanize this city against you, Spider-Man!"

Finally, a charged battle with my nemesis, SPIDER-MAN!

What did you think of my performance, Spider-man? I think the police found it quite electrifying...

Stop being a resistor, Spider-man. Its not too late join the current power that rules this city!

Do you know what killed the Elephant? The ALTERNATING CURRENT!

Barudak fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 16, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ghostwritingduck posted:

They used a similar effect for Doctor Manhattan in Watchmen and it turned out really well; even though the actual character was completely CGI, by having the mocap suit covered in blue lights it naturally bathed the other actors in sets and blue light which was way more convincing and natural than trying to add it in post.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Thank God they didn't go with that drat yellow and green poo poo. This looks so much better.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Barudak posted:

I wasn't on board initially, but you got me with the Edison reference.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Barudak posted:

I hope to god this is in the movie now.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

New Man of Steel Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Which we're talking about in the Man of Steel thread.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Did anyone talk about how Michael Rooker is going to play a blue alien with a Mohawk and pretty awesome bow?

der juicen
Aug 11, 2005

Fuck haters

hatelull posted:

Did anyone talk about how Michael Rooker is going to play a blue alien with a Mohawk and pretty awesome bow?

Michael Rooker loving owns. Slither owns. I'll see GotG for him. I have no idea what GotG is, besides a Marvel property.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

hatelull posted:

Please, PLEASE make him a space hick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Please, PLEASE make him a space hick.

If so he better have a scene where he refers to the human lead as "one of the good ones"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

hatelull posted:

I'm so hyped because maybe we'll get the full set of original Guardians now.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Rhyno posted:

I'm so hyped because maybe we'll get the full set of original Guardians now.

Man, the last time I thought that the original Guardians might make it into a movie was when I was 9.

Tripwyre
Mar 25, 2007

#RXT REVOLUTION~!

:ughh:

future scoopin'...
R.I.P.D. finally has a trailer after being in development for what feels like forever. And it looks like a good deal of MIB-style fun as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07xNrVd7DU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Finally, a movie about a cowboy ghost police officer starring Jeff Bridges. I don't know what else I could ever want out of cinema now.

• Locked thread