Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Mr. Leonheart posted:

Are you fishing him out after you get him to swallow a bomb? It gives you a bit more time to wail on him.

How do you fish him out? Is that what the sonic bombs are for?

I can make him swallow the bombs? I've been setting bomb traps everywhere and hitting it with a boomerang to deal damage with the bombs :V

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
When he gets up out of the sand and runs at you with his mouth open, drop a bomb in his path. Then, when he stops and it explodes, walk up to the side of his mouth then press A and mash buttons. You'll fish him out of the sand and get a whole bunch of free hits. Don't need a fishing lure or anything.

Sonic bombs are used whenever anything is digging around under the sand (nibbles, diablos) or under water when you're out of water (gobul, plesioth, etc) or to interrupt qurupecco's songs. It can also be used to enrage Nargacuga on-demand.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 14, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ugh, man, I think I hate farming Qurupeco more than any other monster right now. I still need two more Strange Beaks to get S&S fire axe, too. That and the last Rathian Spike I need for the full suit is gonna drive me nuts.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Qurupeco has no qualms about summoning Rathian or Joe to come poo poo on you.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Chronojam posted:

Qurupeco has no qualms about summoning Rathian or Joe to come poo poo on you.

Tell me about it. Although if you do the Hunt mission, he only ever summons a Great Jaggi.

fake edit: Wow, I actually had an easier time breaking his beak with a sword & shield than with any other weapon so far. One more strange beak to go...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Tell me about it. Although if you do the Hunt mission, he only ever summons a Great Jaggi.

fake edit: Wow, I actually had an easier time breaking his beak with a sword & shield than with any other weapon so far. One more strange beak to go...

Wait till you get to the crimson peco. Joe is his BFF, and when he's low on health he's actually scripted to call him like no matter what.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Finally got to Brachydios and he's absolutely killing me.
He's just too fast to keep up with and the constant explosions don't help.

I'm thinking of crafting a water lance and maybe switching to a different armour.

Do you have any recommendations?
Are there any resistances or skills that could help with this fight?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've broken that fucker's face four times with a greatsword and haven't gotten a beak once :argh:

Chronomaster
Sep 24, 2006
Curious continuity question: What's the in-world language of MH called? I'm not a trained ear, but it's not exactly Japanese they're speaking, right?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I don't think they ever mention it because it's not relevant to anything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

5er posted:

I've broken that fucker's face four times with a greatsword and haven't gotten a beak once :argh:

I just got the third beak I needed. :shobon: Now I just need to get past Duramboros so I can get parts for the Djinn.

Of course, I can't get the loving King's Frill for the Hydra Knife even though I've broken & captured G. Jaggi like a half-dozen times. :argh:

e: And once again posting I can't get an item makes it drop my next run.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 14, 2013

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

scissorman posted:

I'm thinking of crafting a water lance and maybe switching to a different armour.

Gem in Antiseptic, especially if you're using a lance. No more need to sheath to roll off the slime or use a Deodorant and no taking extra damage from getting hit while slimed. I've been hunting him for the last few days for gems and I think I'm getting his patterns down.

When he's outside of rage mode, generally the safest place to be as long as there's no slime puddles is right below his chest. Most of his up-close moves will whiff if you're right up in his face. When he does the one-handed pivoting strike, just follow or keep your guard up because he's usually prepping a second slam. When he growls, he's likely going to lick his hands which gives you a good 4-5 seconds of uncontested damage. When he does two quick licks he's going to do his big forward leap - roll forward to avoid it.

When he's raging I generally just try to avoid him and get in random potshots when he does the tail spin or the slow licking.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Aaaaa, what's the best way to get quality sponges? I want that cool sword, but smashing the mane and capturing Royal Ludroths isn't getting me anything, would I be better off killing? I've only got three fishing spots on the fleet and have a single blue cutthroat so I think I should be good to eventually get another couple.

Also since hitting High Rank I've not been able to send the fleet out on hunting trips, does that come back at any point?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EthanSteele posted:

Aaaaa, what's the best way to get quality sponges? I want that cool sword, but smashing the mane and capturing Royal Ludroths isn't getting me anything, would I be better off killing? I've only got three fishing spots on the fleet and have a single blue cutthroat so I think I should be good to eventually get another couple.

Also since hitting High Rank I've not been able to send the fleet out on hunting trips, does that come back at any point?

The only difference between capturing and killing is that capturing gets you more items so that's usually the way to go. I'm pretty sure the way it works is that you still get the "carves" at the end of the mission, plus a few extra items you can only get via capture.

A Miserable Robot
Nov 4, 2009
Looking at the Brady Guide you have a 6% chance in LR of carving Quality Sponge and an 8% chance in HR of carving it. It's not under capture but breaking the Mane should give you a 25% chance of obtaining it in the quest rewards in LR and 15% in HR.

Go for kills if it isn't going to take much longer to kill it, you have that extra slim chance of carving one that way.

Scher
Sep 15, 2011

~Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom~
I don't know what others think about the fight, but I feel the need to say this.

Dire Miralis is legitimately not a fun fight. Everything about that fight is just stupid. It's stupid how even the slightest movement from any part of his body will hurt you. It's stupid how he can completely turn around and swipe you with his tail just because he was turning. It's stupid how he can effectively stunlock you with his charge and kill you because he kept running you over when you couldn't move. It's stupid how he can turn his head with no visible indication from his body and shoot a fireball at just about anything in a full arc. It's also stupid that unless you have your camera facing up all the time, you can't see where his head is turning. He could very well be shooting that fireball at you!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

A Miserable Robot posted:

Looking at the Brady Guide you have a 6% chance in LR of carving Quality Sponge and an 8% chance in HR of carving it. It's not under capture but breaking the Mane should give you a 25% chance of obtaining it in the quest rewards in LR and 15% in HR.

Go for kills if it isn't going to take much longer to kill it, you have that extra slim chance of carving one that way.

Looks like I'll stick to LR quests for it then, thanks.

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE

scissorman posted:

I've had excellent luck with the Hammer versus Brachy. Using no-charge or half-charge power swings to move will help you keep up with him, and playing aggressive and staying in his face will cause most of his attacks to just whiff. I didn't feel Lance worked well against him; you lose the ability to dodge roll, his lateral moves make it harder for the Lance's straight combos to hit, and a lot of his attacks seem to come from the side and bypass your shield.

That may have just been my relative inexperience with the Lance that kept it from performing well, admittedly.

Scher posted:

I don't know what others think about the fight, but I feel the need to say this.

Dire Miralis is legitimately not a fun fight.

All of the big bosses are hugely disappointing. Jhen is a gimmick fight, Ceadeus is a boring underwater slog, and the camera is horrible for all three.

Mr. Leonheart
Oct 14, 2007

All I know is that to me
You look like you're havin' fun
All of the giant bosses in the series have pretty much always been boring as poo poo after the first time, though. At least this time they actually attack you?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Ciaphas posted:

Not exactly MH related, but is there a not-loving-terrible IRC client for Windows nowadays, besides the web client linked in the OP?

If you use chrome, https://kiwiirc.com/ has a good extension.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

So this is pretty cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOaCvz_kLFU

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!
Where do I get Elderdragon Bloods? I've picked some up at some point and I could've sworn it was from Jhen Mohran, but I've literally killed him 8 times now and haven't gotten a single drop of blood. I've gotten 4 dragongems though. Maybe I'll have better luck online?

I also fought Goldbeard a bunch of times to make his suit and I know he doesn't drop them, unless the drop rate is even lower than dark dragongems. At this point I may as well try regular Caedeus in the offchance he drops them.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Office Thug posted:

Where do I get Elderdragon Bloods? I've picked some up at some point and I could've sworn it was from Jhen Mohran, but I've literally killed him 8 times now and haven't gotten a single drop of blood. I've gotten 4 dragongems though. Maybe I'll have better luck online?

I also fought Goldbeard a bunch of times to make his suit and I know he doesn't drop them, unless the drop rate is even lower than dark dragongems. At this point I may as well try regular Caedeus in the offchance he drops them.

Elderdragon blood is a rare drop from any of the elder dragons, so, Ceadeus, Jhen, Alatreon, and Guran.

I killed Ceadeus twice (read: repelled twice and finished twice) before he dropped one loving dragon blood.

If you're getting this stuff for rustshard equipment, don't even bother. That stuff is great in LR, but once you get to HR it is severely underpowered.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 14, 2013

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Bobnumerotres posted:

If you're getting this stuff for rustshard equipment, don't even bother. That stuff is great in LR, but once you get to HR it is severely underpowered.

I'm getting it to finish the goldbeard suit. I only need a single one but it's been stupid elusive.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
MHFU quest for G-rank update: got rocked by HR Black Diablos, there's no way I can dodge his charges carrying a Heavy Bowgun. Following advice from the Bowgun Compendium, I'm going to build a Naruga S set for increased Pellet damage. The plan is to keep distance with a Light Bowgun and shotgun his tail. Since I haven't even unlocked Nargacuga yet, I have a lot of quest grinding to do.

Also, tried out White Fatalis and got smeared all over the place for about an hour straight. No comment.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

How does elemental/status damage work again? Does the element damage stack with the base damage of the weapon?

e: Like, I'm fighting Rathian with a weapon that does 396 base damage and 100 Lightning damage. Does that mean it's effectively 496 damage?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

How does elemental/status damage work again? Does the element damage stack with the base damage of the weapon?

e: Like, I'm fighting Rathian with a weapon that does 396 base damage and 100 Lightning damage. Does that mean it's effectively 496 damage?

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter_3_Damage_Formula

That should explain everything.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

:stare:

So higher number are more good. Got it. :downs:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

:stare:

So higher number are more good. Got it. :downs:

The attacks that look big and strong on the weapons deal the most % of the attack damage you see on your status screen.

Elemental damage, however, is unaffected by what kind of attacks you're using. It is only affected by your sharpness, and the resistance of the monster part you're hitting. So quick little attacks are best for dishing out a lot of elemental damage.

Most of the time, until you get to the super late game with purple sharpness weapons and poo poo, bringing the right element to a fight will end up being the most effective thing overall. Every connection will stack the raw physical damage and the elemental damage, if the monster is weak to that element they will take big, big amounts of hurt.

The exception is the greatsword, there are so few connections made throughout the fight you're just not doing much elemental damage at all. So always go for raw physical damage.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I was told that this used to be true but despite the wikis information elemental damage is actually affected by charge up attacks.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I don't know if this is the right thread, but is streaming the Wii U just as easy as streaming the 360? I.e., can just plug the HDMI out into your capture card and get on with it? This seems like a game that lends itself very well to streaming.

flashdim
Oct 19, 2005

Still losing criticals

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread, but is streaming the Wii U just as easy as streaming the 360? I.e., can just plug the HDMI out into your capture card and get on with it? This seems like a game that lends itself very well to streaming.

Yeah, there's no HDCP. I use an Elgato just fine.

Enjoy a Berry
Apr 21, 2012
Is there a guide for what skills are worth aiming for on armors? There are a few that I've found are almost always good for any weapon such as sharpness +1, high grade earplugs, and evade +

but now that I've cleared the G-rank set of quests I have a ton of extra parts and have started crating a ton of extra weapons, and I feel like I can make specialized sets of armor to get with individual weapons and fights.

What are some good skills to aim for on each weapon type. I'm most interested with great sword, gun lance, and sword and shield. I've almost only used hammer and switch axe so far, and I have no idea what would go well with those weapons.

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

Enjoy a Berry posted:

Is there a guide for what skills are worth aiming for on armors? There are a few that I've found are almost always good for any weapon such as sharpness +1, high grade earplugs, and evade +

but now that I've cleared the G-rank set of quests I have a ton of extra parts and have started crating a ton of extra weapons, and I feel like I can make specialized sets of armor to get with individual weapons and fights.

What are some good skills to aim for on each weapon type. I'm most interested with great sword, gun lance, and sword and shield. I've almost only used hammer and switch axe so far, and I have no idea what would go well with those weapons.

I'll speak to the two I used to use:

Great Sword: Fast charge and Critical draw. Fast charge lets you on reaction a bunch of moves, and just do a shitton more damage with your level 3 charge via just being faster. Critical Draw lets you always get a critical hit and negates negative affinity. With sharpness + 1, you take the Cera Cymmetry into the best raw damage greatsword in the game as long as you are just using unsheathe attacks.

SnS: I pretty much go 100% elemental or 100% status on these, so build around the boosts and if possible, the evade skills (evade distance > evade + 2 in my honest opinion).

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
poo poo, I need five thunder sacs to upgrade my sword before I fight Rathalos. Who knows how many times I'll have to fight the Christmas Gigginox. :gonk:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Figuring out how to get a Wii U and a 3DS's multiplayer going was an adventure. My 8 year old son and I figured it out though. I'm not terribly far into the game myself considering I was bringing a carapace sword and a set of azuros armor as the best I had, but the boy after 20 hours himself only had a bone greatsword he had proudly crafted, and the starting leathers. He was still at 'bring ore to the metalsmith' part of Moga village progress. Hey, he was having fun and somehow staying self sufficient (my guess is, manually selling off stuff he was bringing in from free hunt in order to pay for other things); I wasn't going to ruin his fun.

The first multiplayer quest we took was to take out the Qurupeco... he hadn't even seen a g.jaggi yet. The god drat thing must've known my kid was green, because the fucker chased him everywhere. We quickly sorted out the strategy that he would stay highly mobile while I hit the peco in the rear end whenever it held still. This was working out great until it called in a rathios, and that was even the first one *I* had seen! And both the peco AND the rathios kept chasing after the boy. It actually worked out good- we got the peco trapped, and I think the rathios just got bored and hosed off after ignoring it a while.

After seeing my stuff I think my kid got loot envy though and he started asking me how he could further along the Moga village development.

I think the game overall just got that much better for me.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bobnumerotres posted:

What about Ancientshard weapons? I have a bunch of them. Are they also not worth the investment?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Speedboat Jones posted:

What about Ancientshard weapons? I have a bunch of them. Are they also not worth the investment?

They're easy to make with enough earth crystal farming, but I probably wouldn't recommend making most of them. Not that much is really weak to dragon. The exceptions are the SnS, which is one of the best SnS, and the hunting horn, which has some good songs.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
Quick question in regards to charm tables. Is it decided the moment you hit "New Game" Or is it determined once you are done character creation and in game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

crazkylo posted:

Quick question in regards to charm tables. Is it decided the moment you hit "New Game" Or is it determined once you are done character creation and in game?

The moment you hit "New Game".

• Locked thread